Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Commander Keenan posted:

Guys. GUYS. One of the best FPSes ever made is coming out on GOG today. 2PM GMT. Prepare your wallets.

Witchaven or Cybermage: Darklight Awakening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Pretty sure that mod (or another one like it) has all the characters from RE4 Mercenaries. RE4 is basically my favourite game so that mod is awesome by definition.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Commander Keenan posted:

Guys. GUYS. One of the best FPSes ever made is coming out on GOG today. 2PM GMT. Prepare your wallets.

Marathon 2 is free, though. :confused:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
:siren::siren::siren: OUTLAWS!!! :siren::siren::siren:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

HOLY poo poo :vince:

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 19, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Woop! :circlefap:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:boom: :boom: :boom: :drat:

and then

:tviv:

I'm not waiting for a sale, instabuy right loving now.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Since there's been some Duke and Wolf talk, I thought I'd go back to one of my favorite games, Necrovision.

Since it's the centenary of The Great War, I decided to come back to this game.

Personally, I consider this to be next successor to Duke 3D after SiN. Obviously, it has loads of silly issues and doesn't give a very good first impression in early chapters, but once you beat the first major boss of the game and get the claw weapon, the game dynamics change completely.

Some of my favorite things about this game are the melee and close range combat mechanics. You got your might boots, bayonets, small throwing knives, clubs, an almighty vampire claw that turns into a combine harvester when dealing with crowds, an akimbo weapon dynamic mixing melee and ranged weapons and a pretty good selection of weapons.

Complimenting that (sort of) is the flawed but really fun combo mechanic that builds up two bars; one is the yellow meter for bullet time and sprinting (also used to replenish health if you're under 25%) and the combo meter that builds up with different types of kills. With positional damage and different weapon stats, you can mix things up, ultimately becoming a real killing machine. The expansion adds new weapons like the Blood flare gun and a spiked rod.

Problem is that the game never explains these mechanics at all and there's no way of figuring out how this system works unless you're actually willing to sit down and figure it out on your own like a gaijin playing a Japanese game while being completely nihon-illiterate.

Once you get the claw, you start learning new spells, ranging from fire, Ice to poison needles and projectiles, all of which use mana. Mixing up ranged, close combat and magic attacks really speeds up the game. Actually managing all three things turns it into a completely different game, because you get to have options you really don't have in a lot of other shooters at all.

Another cool thing about this game is the sheer scale of the game thanks to the Painkiller engine. The levels end up being very large in scale and loads of secrets hidden throughout levels. Levels were scaled down a bit in the expansion, but it was still a big game like the original Necrovision.

A lot of weapons from early chapters are really not that accurate with the exception of the pistol and the rifles, which actually end up complimenting close to mid range combat more in the trenches. From chapter 4 onwards you get the next tier of weapons and unfortunately the guns from earlier chapters end up cluttering up the weapon selection screen a bit, but it's not that bad.

Another really cool thing about the game is the vehicles sections where you get to ride a mech on a few occasions and a dragon for two chapter. The dragon sections were the only thing I felt were on rails, but you get some side objectives where you go on foot to deactivate thingamajigs and get more waves and monster closets, so they're generally pretty fun.

Challenge mode is pretty fun once you get used to the mechanics and learn the game. I definitely recommend it after the first playthrough.

One thing that made no sense was the story of the game, a batshit clusterfuck of all kinds of different horror and action elements. You start in a WWI setting in the Battle of Somme and you move onto a vampire underworld all the way down to hell. The game tries too hard to push some themes and elements ranging from the cliche 'war is hell', then completely ignoring it for Lovecraftian horror and onto Doom E4. I had to ask the game artist about the setting to actually make sense of who is who and what everyone is fighting for.

Another weak point of the game are the boss fights which can be very random. In one playthrough they're following their patterns and in another they behave very randomly. I think this may have something to do with the variable framerate of the game, but that's just one of my many theories about why this game can be so random.

If you're a fan of Duke3D, RTCW and Painkiller, I definitely recommend this and the expansion, Lost Company.

I guess I have no excuse to ignore this anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/18/batman-wolfenstein-3d-mod/

Yes, this is a batman wolf3d mod.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, this is a batman wolf3d mod.
That's almost the Wrath of Earth level of going crazy with the engine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

closeted republican posted:

Hey, I like BFG edition more than regular Doom 3.
Yeah, bfg is better once you adjust the configs.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NeTuWMzYJw

At what stage does something stop being a mod and becomes a bizarro art piece? :psyduck:
Awesome.

I always thought Outlaws was an adventure game...Hmmm

Hey CyRaptor, finally got through your Duke videos. Man what a slog. Guess I had major rose-tinted glasses going on for that game. Still, thanks for doing the LP and then putting them up for me. You do good stuff!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How about another LP, Cyraptor?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I didn't even notice Outlaws in the news that six more LucasArts games were coming to GOG. That's going on my wishlist for sure.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

I wish one of them would learn how to draw weapon sprites. Both their batman mods, and both of their Eisenfaust mods give you the tiniest baby arms and the most perspective hosed weapons possible.

Look at this loving rifle, I mean come on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Elliotw2 posted:

Come on, there's probably a kid or a midget holding it up on their head.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Come on, there's probably a kid or a midget holding it up on their head.

Even as a kid, BJ loved massacring Nazis.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 24, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

I wish one of them would learn how to draw weapon sprites. Both their batman mods, and both of their Eisenfaust mods give you the tiniest baby arms and the most perspective hosed weapons possible.

Looks to me more like someone didn't know how to draw a single hand holding the gun in front

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Was the artist actually going for a fist wearing fingerless gloves rather than two derpy little arms?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elliotw2 posted:

it's like they're trying to ride the gun like one of those sticks with the horse head on the end

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wait till you see the reload animations. Which, on the surface, is impressive since it's Wolf 3D, but...yeah they look...not great.

Are there any Wolf 3D mods/TC's that have armor as a collectible? Aside from Eisenfaust Legacy, because I'd rather have my mouse hand crushed by Mecha Hitler than play that.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 19, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No offense to any Wolf modders (or fans of Wolf modding) here, but what's the point? And I don't mean that on a grand scale of "What's the point of modding anything", but Wolf3D just seems like such a bland game to sink your teeth and skills into, compared to Doom.

No height variance, no floor/ceiling textures (at least by default), no skyboxes, worse animation, stilted movement.

No sarcasm, I'd legitimately like to know, from either a modder or a fan of them, what keeps you interested in using the Wolf3D engine?

Edit full disclosure, after I beat episode 1 of Wolf3D, I'm pretty much done for a while, and it's tough for me to want to bother going through the other 5, or Spear of Destiny.

One thing to keep in mind is that the "Original Missions" (episodes 1-3) Wolfenstein levels are well...not very good, especially the first episode. Id Software were not used to building FPS levels and even given the limited toolset available in Wolfenstein 3D, those first 30 maps are obviously novice efforts.

If you want a true master class in Wolfenstein mapping, play Project Totengraeber (originally made in 1999-2000 by B.J. Rowan, ported to ECWolf by yours truly). B.J. Rowan is one of the all-time great Wolfenstein mappers, and this map set is just as important to Wolfenstein modding as Requiem is to Doom modding. It was also the cornerstone to my education as a Wolfenstein mapper and the standard I aimed for for many years.

As for why Wolfenstein 3D, I started mapping in 1999. At the time the Doom editing tools were terrible, obtuse monstrosities (DeuTex :ohdear:) and the documentation was all but nonexistent. Although I like to rag on how stuck in the past Wolfenstein level editors are today, at the time MapEdit 8.4 was way more streamlined and accessible than anything the Doom world had to offer, and came with a basic but serviceable primer on how to make an acceptable Wolfenstein level (whenever completely raw newbies ask me for mapping tips I immediately refer them to Warren Buss' MapEdit documentation). FloEdit had a powerful and simple resource editor that was far more intuitive than WinTex. There's also the speed of mapping--whatever you do in Doom, you can do at least five times faster in Wolfenstein. The immediacy of tangible, playable results is extremely gratifying--you can knock out a medium to large level in an evening.

Wolfenstein is also a different game with a different play style--it is not just "flat Doom with hitscans". It's about observation and patience more than diving into fights and blasting dudes left and right. All sorts of subtle things like the way doors work and the way the AI navigates levels (they are considerably better at following you than Doom enemies) make even the best "WolfenDoom" mods (there seem to be no end of the things these days) a far cry from the real thing.

Unfortunately, Doom editing has advanced tremendously in usability in efficiency in the past sixteen years to the point, but Wolfenstein editors are merely incremental improvements over MapEdit 8.4 and FloEdit.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

This is correct. I used to be a part of the Wolf3D scene, and I can attest that from the very beginning, modding was all about modifying the source code to add new features and whatnot. No matter how simple it might seem, it had to be added on a source code level since nobody had ever developed any sort of DEHACKED equivalent for Wolfenstein. That's why you could even have two engines that had the same features added and not be able to interchange them; it's all dependent on how said features were added.

Funny thing is, a lot of people in that scene apparently are fighting tooth and nail against the ease of use of ECWolf. A lot of them seem to view it as "unnecessary" or "dumbed down" or something. Remember seeing a few threads on the old forum I used to go to a while back where it was brought up and I got to see oldbies yell themselves red in the face over how they'd never make a version of their mods that worked with it and they'd never develop a mod specifically for it. Don't really understand that kind of thinking, being that I've switched my source ports of choice several times throughout my lifetime, but hey, whatever.

Remember that since ECWolf is a source port rather than a bespoke engine solution and maintained by only one guy, the feature set is limited and Blzut3 prioritizes some features over others, whereas if you roll your own SDL executable you can implement literally anything it you can figure out how to write it and make it compile. There will always be someone who has one particular feature that he wants and ECWolf doesn't have, and rarely will such a person decide to solve this by cutting the feature or replacing it with a "close enough" substitute that uses ECWolf's existing functionality (for Operation Serpent, I use a hack involving extremely fast projectiles and make all the static objects allow projectiles to pass through so I can simulate Doom's hitscan behavior). Modding ECWolf also uses radically different techniques and tools from regular Wolfenstein modding, and many of these come from Doom, a game that some in the Wolfenstein community seem to actively resent. The Wolfenstein community is a very insular group that, like many such small, cliquish groups, does not like change, and does not like things that are Not Invented Here. I think ECWolf will need a new community to really come into its own, much like ZDoom attracts a community of "new school" Doom modders who only partially overlap with the Doomworld crowd.

I think the Wolfenstein community used to be better but it's sort of "fossilized" from bleeding more people than it takes in and getting steadily smaller over time.

Bouchacha posted:

I admit I never had interest in Wolf3D only because of the hitscan gameplay. What are you supposed to do when all weapons hit instantly? With Doom you have to dodge projectiles, not get boxed in, and you counter with a whole range of weapons which operate very differently. Even Call of Duty has cover, flanking, and grenades. I don't get how you "get good" at Wolf3D :shrug:

Timing and patience are everything. You cannot soak hits like in Call of Duty, you are fragile and you will die very, very fast when Nazis shoot at you. The enemies telegraph their attacks much more than in Doom and the level design is rarely very open, there are always corners, walls, or pillars to hide behind. You have to learn the timing of enemy behaviors and learn how to funnel them through choke points or into situations where you have the advantage, instead of engaging them on their terms (which will get you killed). The weird player physics actually help, because you stop and start moving on a dime and can pop in and out of cover nearly instantly. Also it helps to remember that the camera is actually slightly behind the player, which lets you look around corners without exposing yourself (although it also means you can get blindsided if you are careless, because an enemy directly to the left or right will see you before you see him). Then comes (much like Doom) learning to "think like a mapper" and become able to do things like probe a room full of enemies and draw one or two out instead of barging in and getting cut down by six or seven guards attacking from multiple directions.

(my Wolfenstein habits sometimes get me killed in Doom because my first instinct when I trigger a trap is to run backwards as fast as possible--often in Doom the map will cut off my line of retreat so I end up backpedaling into a wall as the monsters close in)

Elliotw2 posted:

You also get that on enemies that can't see you, I think.

You get a damage bonus for hitting an enemy that is still in its spawn state. You can even strafe right in front of an enemy's face, but if you shoot him in the split second before he wakes up, you deal something like 1.5x or 2x normal damage. I don't think you get a bonus for shooting an enemy who is already searching for you in the back.

MONKET posted:

Especially considering an enemy can knock off up to 40% of your health from behind.
64%, actually (the formula is roll a number between 0 and 64, divide by two beyond a designated "close" range and by four beyond a designated "long" range). Wolf Skevos-Jones' mods have those loving Sturmgewehr soldiers who can one hit kill you and it's frustrating like you wouldn't believe.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wait till you see the reload animations. Which, on the surface, is impressive since it's Wolf 3D, but...yeah they look...not great.

Are there any Wolf 3D mods/TC's that have armor as a collectible? Aside from Eisenfaust Legacy, because I'd rather have my mouse hand crushed by Mecha Hitler than play that.

WSJ's Totenkopf SDL has armor. Hope you like pressing Alt to strafe though!

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Woolie Wool posted:

WSJ's Totenkopf SDL has armor. Hope you like pressing Alt to strafe though!

Didn't really like Totenkopf to be honest. It misses that sort of shlocky fun feeling from regular Wolf. It's just really grimy and unpleasant. :(

Thanks for recommending Totengraeber though, that poo poo's fun as gently caress. The ridiculous amount of blood added to the death animations are hilarious. Any others you can recommend? You seem like the resident Wolf expert. I played Spear Resurrection and Spear: End of Destiny. I was enjoying EoD until about halfway through, when the level design got REALLY abstract and frustrating.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You want mods? You got 'em!

ECWolf
Assassinate Hitler by Gary Ragland (1998, 20 levels)
ECWolf Tech Demo by me (2012, 10 levels)
ECWolf Tech Demo Expansion Pack: Return to Totenhaus by me (2013, 9 levels)
Coffee Break Episode 1: Castle Hasselhoff by me (2014, 10 levels)

Someone make more ECWolf mods so I don't have to plug my own poo poo anymore.

SDL
Conflict in the Fatherland by B.J. Rowan (1995, 60 levels)
Schabbs 2000 by Gary Ragland (1999, 50 levels)
Countdown to Disaster by Gary Ragland (2002, 16 levels)
The Golden Episodes by Arielus (2003, 60 levels, HARD AS BALLS)
End of Destiny by ArEyeP and MCS (2005, has a LOT of upgrades that make it worth playing over the DOS version, including many additional maps)
All This and Wolf3D by Thomas Weiling (2007, 60 levels)
The Tower by Paal Olstad (2009, 21 levels. WARNING: this is an extremely hard puzzle-oriented mod and is not for everyone!)
Spear of Destiny Reloaded by Codetech and Megabyte (2010, 21 levels)
Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3 by me (2011, 30 levels. This is put in the SDL section because it uses a modified version of an ancient build of ECWolf that was basically Wolf4SDL plus some quality-of-life features.)
Operation Eisenfaust: Origins by Team Raycast (2012, 30 levels)
Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions by Serpens (2013, 60 levels)

DOS
Temporary Insanity by Nathaniel Roudak-Gould (1993, 30 levels. A showcase of the utterly bizarre things that the Wolfenstein engine can do. Many people have trouble running this mod, it may not work with the GT or Activision releases of Wolfenstein 3D)
Escape from Totenhaus by Laz Rojas (1996, 10 levels, very difficult and frustrating but has a really cool theme, my own Return to Totenhaus is an homage to it)
Chokage by Chris Chokan (1998, 30 levels, completely bizarre and surreal comedy mod made with a hex editor)
Meuchelmord by Joey (1999, 9 levels)
Western Wall I by Spifferaneous (2000, 30 levels, has aged very poorly but is included here for its historical importance)
The Final Solution by Tristan van Putten (2000, 20 levels)
Acktung! by ack (2003, 60 levels)
Coming of the Storm by Wolf Skevos-Jones (2004, 19 levels)
Trench Warfare by The Josh (2005, 20 levels)

Not sure if you'll like my tech demo if you felt repulsed by Totenkopf SDL. It's not quite as dreary but it's not entirely dissimilar and uses many of Wolf Skevos-Jones' sprites.

I really hate linking to Bashe's old tech demo Let's Play videos from 2012 since the original 1.0 release it depicts was full of awful guard sounds (HALTHALTHALT) and nasty weapon animations (the Mauser looked like a Lee-Enfield and felt absolutely terrible, it has new sprites that are actually of a real Mauser and new animations where B.J. actually works the bolt handle, and the weapon balance between the Mauser has been changed so the MP40 is more useful and the Mauser is a lot slower), but no one has recorded videos of the infinitely more polished 1.2 release, so here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OMtUCWiz4Y Is this too grimy and gray for you?

(I'm so sorry for those guard sounds, they've been replaced with better ones, I swear :ohdear:)

E: I recorded a video of the map myself but the audio desynced and completely hosed up after a while. gently caress it, here it is anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-hSvN_sh8

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 20, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you don't mind me asking, why are all these mods so relatively recent? Wolf3d has been around forever, but even the oldest mod is from 95. Was it made open source around then?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The game was made open source in 1996 but people were not able to successfully compile it until late 1998. The golden age of Wolfenstein modding was between 1998 and 2005. I'd say Chokage marks the beginning and End of Destiny marks the end.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Wow! Thanks so much Woolie for the list of Wolf mods. I enjoy delving into them just as much as Doom mods :) Also big props for showing a little insight into the Wolf modder mind :)

drat, I know it's not Early FPS but all this Wolf3D talk is getting me pumped up for the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood coming out later this year :hellyeah:

Woolie Wool posted:

The game was made open source in 1996 but people were not able to successfully compile it until late 1998. The golden age of Wolfenstein modding was between 1998 and 2005. I'd say Chokage marks the beginning and End of Destiny marks the end.

Also, holy poo poo I remember firing up Chokage so long ago. :corsair:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So when's someone gonna put Blake Stone on ECWolf? Is that even possible? I wanna viciously Flash Gordon some mutants drat it :argh:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Planet Strike has some very basic support but it's on a different branch from the main releases. The AoG source code has been lost so AoG will need to be reverse engineered from Planet Strike.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, I know it's not Early FPS but all this Wolf3D talk is getting me pumped up for the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood coming out later this year :hellyeah:

Yo this caught me by surprise so I'm gonna share it, that game is coming out in May. I didn't think they were releasing it that soon!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Geight posted:

Yo this caught me by surprise so I'm gonna share it, that game is coming out in May. I didn't think they were releasing it that soon!
Hell yeah it is! :hfive:

In case no one else saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqm4Rr7nQ6M

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So when's someone gonna put Blake Stone on ECWolf? Is that even possible? I wanna viciously Flash Gordon some mutants drat it :argh:

I'd like to see Blake Stone remade up like Wolfenstein: The New Order. Make it full on retro sci fi campiness, though :)

OK, enough current FPS derail from me :cheeky:

To tie it back to early FPS, did anyone pick up Outlaws from GOG yet? I'm hesitant because I remember the maps being kind of confusing and sprawling. I did end up finishing the game though so it must have not been too bad. Also, that intro got me all fired up to shoot some ornery gunslingers :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMh-88a2DI

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

You want mods? You got 'em!

drat that's a lot of mods. I liked Eisenfaust: Legacy quite a bit, are there any that are similar? Especially if they have one-button strafing, because trying to play without it is such a pain.

Also, saying it again, can't wait for ECBlake.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Also, saying it again, can't wait for ECBlake.
You might be waiting a bit - it looks like Blzut's working on Wolf3D For Mac support.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

You might be waiting a bit - it looks like Blzut's working on Wolf3D For Mac support.

Whoa, wait a minute. What does this mean, exactly?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Whoa, wait a minute. What does this mean, exactly?
It means you'll be able to run the weird Mac version of Wolf3D within ECWolf.

It's currently playable, but there's currently a few issues to deal with before it can be considered release-quality:
a.) Blzut's reference OS9 machine exploded.
b.) The game runs at the wrong speed.
c.) The menu system isn't even started yet - you need to provide a menu font for the engine to even launch at the moment.
d.) Some of the Mac source code is missing (Pac-Man ghosts) and needs to either be rewritten or hopefully sourced from the original programmer.
e.) A way for Windows and Linux users to source the game data from an actual, physical game disk needs to be divised.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
That list of good Wolf3D mods is awesome! I've been wanting to sink my teeth into custom Wolf3D content for a while now, and that list is a great start.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

It means you'll be able to run the weird Mac version of Wolf3D within ECWolf.

It's currently playable, but there's currently a few issues to deal with before it can be considered release-quality:
a.) Blzut's reference OS9 machine exploded.
b.) The game runs at the wrong speed.
c.) The menu system isn't even started yet - you need to provide a menu font for the engine to even launch at the moment.
d.) Some of the Mac source code is missing (Pac-Man ghosts) and needs to either be rewritten or hopefully sourced from the original programmer.
e.) A way for Windows and Linux users to source the game data from an actual, physical game disk needs to be divised.

Oh, that's what I figured but thanks for clearing the air :) Seems like forces are conspiring to keep it from happen though.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture, but I was walking the Philosopher's Way (a trail up a mountain just above Heidelberg, Germany) and stopped to check out the view from the tower.

Got photobombed by Dopefish.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone know if there's a way to force vsync in ecwolf? I tried running it windowed and forcing through the control panel already.

drat tearing is driving me bananas :(

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Wild T posted:

Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture, but I was walking the Philosopher's Way (a trail up a mountain just above Heidelberg, Germany) and stopped to check out the view from the tower.

Got photobombed by Dopefish.

You gotta put that on Tom Hall's Facebook page or something. He loves that stuff.

Wamdoodle posted:

To tie it back to early FPS, did anyone pick up Outlaws from GOG yet? I'm hesitant because I remember the maps being kind of confusing and sprawling. I did end up finishing the game though so it must have not been too bad. Also, that intro got me all fired up to shoot some ornery gunslingers :clint:

I got it. Works wonderfully in Windows 8, after turning on Direct3D mode and turning off the lovely bilinear filtering. Oh, and the game's amazing still, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Commander Keenan posted:

I got it. Works wonderfully in Windows 8, after turning on Direct3D mode and turning off the lovely bilinear filtering. Oh, and the game's amazing still, too.

GOG is magic. If it works on Windows 8, does this mean that no one needs to wait (forever) for the XL engine Outlaws port? It's really awesome what GOG has been able to do.