Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Sigma-X posted:

I'm assuming you're only testing it in Standard and not good formats?

I'm curious as to whether it makes the cut for modern.

Probably wont because Abrupt Decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GonSmithe posted:

So I'm doing my first ever ROE draft:

This poo poo is amazing.

Dude, yeah. I played in a paper flashback RoE draft a few weeks ago (my first ever) and drafted a sweet rear end R/B Eldrazi token deck with 2 Arrogant Bloodlords, Consuming Vapors, Splinter Twin, Ulamog's Crusher, Hand of Emrakul, Skeletal Worm, Valakut Fireboar, Battle Rampart, and all the burn and Eldrazi spawn generators in the loving world.

Then, my deck shat on me round 1 games 1 and 3 by keeping me stuck on 3 lands for the first 6 turns. :negative:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LordSaturn posted:

I've actually never tried to sell cards to other players for cash. How much do you usually get?
When selling to a player, I usually get TCG mid, rounded down to the nearest dollar. There's a store near me that buys stuff for 40-70% of TCG mid depending on quality and demand, so I got (iirc) like $9 for prerelease Alesha and $10 for my Chrome Mox that had the tiniest of white dots on a bottom corner. But they gave me $2 off each of Sorins for a very similar near-microscopic defect, so I definitely know they aren't trying to gouge.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AlternateNu posted:

Dude, yeah. I played in a paper flashback RoE draft a few weeks ago (my first ever) and drafted a sweet rear end R/B Eldrazi token deck with 2 Arrogant Bloodlords, Consuming Vapors, Splinter Twin, Ulamog's Crusher, Hand of Emrakul, Skeletal Worm, Valakut Fireboar, Battle Rampart, and all the burn and Eldrazi spawn generators in the loving world.

Then, my deck shat on me round 1 games 1 and 3 by keeping me stuck on 3 lands for the first 6 turns. :negative:

Yeah, I 3-0'd.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So what's the one card in DTK that you think is going to change Standard the most?

I'm guessing (seriously) Roast.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I feel like Anticipate is going to be the one in most decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I feel like Anticipate is going to be the one in most decks.

Interestingly, I think that card's a little overrated by people's love for effects like this (e.g. Brainstorm/Ponder/Impulse)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Interestingly, I think that card's a little overrated by people's love for effects like this (e.g. Brainstorm/Ponder/Impulse)

It fills the 2 mana slot in the blue control decks that was really lacking. It's an instant, so it can use unspent counter mana plus being so cheap it sneaks under a lot of the counterspells in the mirror, such as Disdainful stroke. The fact of how cheap it is cannot be understated, letting you anticipate into a removal or counterspell once you hit five mana is amazing.

It is weak compared to what we are used to though, it doesn't even bin the unwanted cards. But as it is it is a great effect and one that will definitely put a bit more power into the control archetypes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

It fills the 2 mana slot in the blue control decks that was really lacking. It's an instant, so it can use unspent counter mana plus being so cheap it sneaks under a lot of the counterspells in the mirror, such as Disdainful stroke. The fact of how cheap it is cannot be understated, letting you anticipate into a removal or counterspell once you hit five mana is amazing.

It is weak compared to what we are used to though, it doesn't even bin the unwanted cards. But as it is it is a great effect and one that will definitely put a bit more power into the control archetypes.

I think the problem with the card's potential to really impact standard is that what control gets in this set is relatively weak compared to what every other deck is getting in DTK and even among blue decks, there's a relatively even split with UB and the BUG decks, and the BUG decks already use Wayfinder to accomplish something similar (get land, convert to Dig)

I'd argue for Roast simply because it can make practically any variety of deck with red in it viable. "Can you kill Siege Rhino" has been a serious concern since KTK came out.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 19, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

So what's the one card in DTK that you think is going to change Standard the most?

I'm guessing (seriously) Roast.

All of the enemy colored hate cards will be all over SB's throughout standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

All of the enemy colored hate cards will be all over SB's throughout standard.

Another issue that I think will conspire to keep control down. The green one is ridiculous against control.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yup agreed about roast, anticipate, and the colour hosers.

I think Sarkhan has a chance, probably after Theros or even KTK+FRF have rotated. The dragon land in control decks with ugin as a finisher surely.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hivemind go:

What prerelease box should I do?
All the Ojutai is gone.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Anticipate really fills a gap that the control decks have been missing in Standard for a while. It lets them dig to hit land drops early and to hit gas late, and you can hold up it up alongside counters / removal because it's instant, which is something you couldn't do with e.g. Read the Bones.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Atarka is the only one I am not doing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mehall posted:

Hivemind go:

All the Ojutai is gone.

I think the exploit cards are really drat powerful, so I would do Dimir. They provide a lot of versatility and are useful at multiple points in the game. That being said Red also looks really powerful and Rakdos is not a bad choice either.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mehall posted:

Hivemind go:

All the Ojutai is gone.

Whichever one you think you'd enjoy the most. I'm doing Kolaghan personally because I am a simple man and like turning mans sideways and setting things on fire.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I really like the look of red and black in terms of commons and uncommons, so Kolaghan. Also I'm going to try my god damndest to make a Jund dragons deck in standard and wouldn't mind a copy of Kolaghan herself or her Command or Thunderbreak Regent in the seeded pack.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mehall posted:

Hivemind go:

All the Ojutai is gone.

The UB one seems like the best.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm going Atarka/Gruul.

gently caress all the haters. Of course all the Ojutai ones are gone, people actually think Narset is in there and that's adorable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I'm going Atarka/Gruul.

gently caress all the haters. Of course all the Ojutai ones are gone, people actually think Narset is in there and that's adorable.

Narset doesn't even seem like all that huge of a bomb in limited. Oh wait, silly me, thinking people were playing to win.

The addition of randomized promos has kind of taken all the "white is unquestionably best because it has Dawnbringer Charioteers" stuff away. Just pick whatever clan you like, dudes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I'm going Atarka/Gruul.

I was just gonna say that. She's can't be your seeded promo.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Elyv posted:

Whichever one you think you'd enjoy the most. I'm doing Kolaghan personally because I am a simple man and like turning mans sideways and setting things on fire.

I didn't think I'd get to do any, so I barely looked at the limited fodder. I'm only getting to maybe do 1 event, Sunday after work.
Pretty good spread of opinions on what to do, but Dimir does look good. So does Atarka though.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I haven't done a prerelease before, what do you mean Ojutai is all gone? I'm hoping for Silumgar because I really like the sultai control deck I built. Should I be concerned about not getting the right color? Preregistered for the event, but no one asked me to pick a dragon or anything.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dohaeris posted:

I haven't done a prerelease before, what do you mean Ojutai is all gone? I'm hoping for Silumgar because I really like the sultai control deck I built. Should I be concerned about not getting the right color? Preregistered for the event, but no one asked me to pick a dragon or anything.

Most stores will let you pre-register for a prerelease if you;re feeling up to it, usually they put the box of your choice aside as well

Everyone is going Ojutai because people are sheep and actually believe Narset is a pre-release promo. She won't be.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dohaeris posted:

When people sya that they usually mean it's at their store with people preregistering but I don't think it's a big deal if your store runs multiple flights and probably some people won't show up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Count Bleck posted:

Everyone is going Ojutai because people are sheep and actually believe Narset is a pre-release promo. She won't be.

I want to pick Ojutai because I like her the most of the dragonlords v:shobon:v

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dohaeris posted:

Nah it doesn't really matter that much. The seeded pack does kind of push you into those colors though.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I want to pick Ojutai because I like her the most of the dragonlords v:shobon:v

A lot of people also want the Ojutai spindown the most.

There's a lot of reasons Ojutai could be selling out other than "everybody but me is a dumb idiot."

mcmagic posted:

The seeded pack does kind of push you into those colors though.

That wasn't really the case with Fate. Even when you opened a super bomb in it. Fate did have way better fixing, though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
@Angry Grimace and anyone who cares about drafting ROE, Efro just put up a throwback draft guide for the format on CFB: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/throwback-draft-guide-rise-of-the-eldrazi/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

There's a lot of reasons Ojutai could be selling out other than "everybody but me is a dumb idiot."

That wasn't really the case with Fate. Even when you opened a super bomb in it. Fate did have way better fixing, though.

Fate prerelease pushed you into 4 color decks cause you had Khans packs plus whatever nutty Fate rares you pulled.

Edit: I will use this as an excuse to post my RIDICULOUS Fate sealed pool for the midnight prerelease.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 19, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
a fatesealed pool? I thought that mechanic wasn't being brought back.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

I mean they put it on Jace the Mind Sculptor so who knows what wacky nutty bullshit Wizards might pull out of their magical hats???????

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zoness posted:

this will go great in my stormscale 100 singleton deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RME posted:

this will go great in my stormscale 100 singleton deck

The joke's over, dude. File it away and dust it off when spoiler season for Origins starts if you really need to kill it deader than it already is.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I just want to open a bunch of Ojutai's Command.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

The joke's over, dude. File it away and dust it off when spoiler season for Origins starts if you really need to kill it deader than it already is.

Its so dead it'll go great in my Erebos, God of the Deck EDH deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't get it what's the joke. RME's card evaluations are very spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

I cast Reanimate on this joke.

Anything that drives you nuts is AOK in my book.

• Locked thread