Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

computer parts posted:

Although the funny thing is that if they had gotten characters from ~5-7 years later they could've gotten the most iconic figures in video games today ("The Call of Duty guy" is not iconic).

I imagine the licensing rights to Nintendo characters is an absolute creative nightmare (Nintendo has historically kept a very tight fist on what third parties can/can't do with their properties) and costly as gently caress compared to Namco/Atari stuff (and O.G. Donkey Kong is clearly in his own rights field that Nintendo doesn't have full control over). The very fact that Disney got Bowser to show up and do anything at all in Wreck-It Ralph even as a background character was a deceptively big deal.

I get why they aren't using later properties, both in-story (the transmission to the aliens was from the early 80s), and outside the story (after the early 90s and outside of Nintendo most video game properties are either too obscure or too generic to work as iconography), but it still feels like it's been made for aging farts who want to show their kids some video game archaeology lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't know if our new mod is doing toxx's but if they are

:toxx: Adam Sandler's garbage looking video game movie will receive over 50% on Rotten Tomatoes, a true rarity for the man. But I believe :toxx:

If I fail ban me or change my avatar or whatever? Not sure which would be more shameful in the long run to be totally honest.

Oof, bold move. preemptive :rip:

I foresee a 15% in its future.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah this movie is going to profitable as motherfucking hell for Sony, but critically it's going to get prison-raped solely because it's another sign of video games solidifying their foundation on the cultural landscape and a lot of film critics loving hate to be reminded of that, using Adam Sandler as a convenient lightning rod for all of their frustration.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's plenty of distinctive and recognizable recent video game characters. There's going to be an Angry Birds movie next year. Josh Gad is going to be in that too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Name around ten properties from the last 5-10 years that could easily replace the characters from this movie. I'm not saying this as a snarky dick, I can genuinely only think of like two that would play well in an all-ages movie, and I want to imagine if it's feasible to do a more recent version of the same plot.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Deakul posted:

Oof, bold move. preemptive :rip:

I foresee a 15% in its future.

Chris Colombus, Adam Sandler, they're finally gonna pull it off. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mind the walrus posted:

critically it's going to get prison-raped solely because it's another sign of video games solidifying their foundation on the cultural landscape and a lot of film critics loving hate to be reminded of that

I feel like if a critic wanted to criticize this movie "because I'm jealous of video games" would be low on the list

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mind the walrus posted:

I imagine the licensing rights to Nintendo characters is an absolute creative nightmare (Nintendo has historically kept a very tight fist on what third parties can/can't do with their properties) and costly as gently caress compared to Namco/Atari stuff (and O.G. Donkey Kong is clearly in his own rights field that Nintendo doesn't have full control over). The very fact that Disney got Bowser to show up and do anything at all in Wreck-It Ralph even as a background character was a deceptively big deal.

I get why they aren't using later properties, both in-story (the transmission to the aliens was from the early 80s), and outside the story (after the early 90s and outside of Nintendo most video game properties are either too obscure or too generic to work as iconography), but it still feels like it's been made for aging farts who want to show their kids some video game archaeology lessons.

I still want that movie about that time Universal sued Nintendo over the King Kong/Donkey Kong thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Name around ten properties from the last 5-10 years that could easily replace the characters from this movie. I'm not saying this as a snarky dick, I can genuinely only think of like two that would play well in an all-ages movie, and I want to imagine if it's feasible to do a more recent version of the same plot.

I'm guessing you're thinking of Angry Birds (the birds) and Minecraft (creepers, etc.). Maybe the Miis from Wii Sports. I don't know that there's a lot more that could cleanly replace Pacman and such, but I think the bigger issue is that most of them have too much characterization and don't fit the mold of mute, wandering disasters, not that they're too obscure or generic. I'm not claiming that Master Chief, Kratos, Lara Croft, etc. are great characters, but they're not really generic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm guessing you're thinking of Angry Birds (the birds) and Minecraft (creepers, etc.). Maybe the Miis from Wii Sports. I don't know that there's a lot more that could cleanly replace Pacman and such, but I think the bigger issue is that most of them have too much characterization and don't fit the mold of mute, wandering disasters, not that they're too obscure or generic. I'm not claiming that Master Chief, Kratos, Lara Croft, etc. are great characters, but they're not really generic.

You forgot...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Compared to the early 80s/Nintendo stables Master Chief/Lara Croft/Kratos etc. seem pretty generic to middle-aged farts. And good point on the mute, wandering disasters angle, I definitely hadn't considered that. Weird blind spot.

morestuff posted:

I feel like if a critic wanted to criticize this movie "because I'm jealous of video games" would be low on the list

Jealous? I never said nor implied that. I said that they hate to be reminded that video games exist and have taken up major cultural real estate that movies used to occupy near-exclusively and they're too old/set in their ways to really understand why. It's like how I'm (legally speaking) an adult who grew up on 90s video games but now feel too set in my ways to really go for mobile/tablet games and I get frustrated/confused/angry at how much market share those games have taken up of the video game market, getting big Superbowl ads and such.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 18, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm downgrading from "really loving funny" to "surprisingly entertaining" a night of sleep removed from St. Patricks Day.

Also if you haven't guessed the demo is dads who played Atari games and Sony makes all kinds of questionable decisions these days, you may have heard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mind the walrus posted:

Getting Iwatani was a very nice touch

That was not Toru Iwatani.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mind the walrus posted:

Jealous? I never said nor implied that. I said that they hate to be reminded that video games exist and have taken up major cultural real estate that movies used to occupy near-exclusively and they're too old/set in their ways to really understand why. It's like how I'm (legally speaking) an adult who grew up on 90s video games but now feel too set in my ways to really go for mobile/tablet games and I get frustrated/confused/angry at how much market share those games have taken up of the video game market, getting big Superbowl ads and such.

Jealous is a simplification of what you're talking about, but A) I don't think this ever actually happens and B) movies about and touching on video games tend to be well-reviewed if they're actually any good

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

There's something visible for a fraction of a second around 1:36, but I can't pause at the right time :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Proof of Concept Trailer for something called The Leviathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-45NTlgp-o

I don't know looks like a cool idea, though I bet the movie would be about how man is the real monster for driving the giant sky monster to extinction

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Seedge posted:

There's something visible for a fraction of a second around 1:36, but I can't pause at the right time :(

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know looks like a cool idea, though I bet the movie would be about how man is the real monster for driving the giant sky monster to extinction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BjkUtqxPE

Feeling such a Futurama theme today.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my problem is it's the third movie in three years called Leviathan

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kinda cute, there is a tie-in old school video game for phones.
http://www.dojoquest.com/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Mute wandering disaster? Gordon Freeman wrecked the world with a science experiment!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

I'm downgrading from "really loving funny" to "surprisingly entertaining" a night of sleep removed from St. Patricks Day.

Bad news for me

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope the guy falls in to the "uncharted depths," then meets natives that ride Shai Hulud. The visuals were nice and all but it was mega-predictable and generic. Like I could learn just as much about the setting/story from a single concept painting as I did from the short.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

It's going to be far future version of Moby Dick.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why does it look like they're hunting the space whale when they just need its eggs for the spice melange? Like I imagine it would be pissed at people trying to steal or harvest or mine its eggs, but why just straight up start attacking and antagonizing it? I don't get space whaling :(

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Are you mad yet?

Mad Max: Fury Road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1coohd-6M

JoeyTrez
Mar 2, 2014
Not sure if anyone is interested but the trailer for Paper Towns just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGiHm5WMLk

I know John Green and his books/movies are now usually just associated with teenage girls (perhaps correctly to an extent, especially after Fault in Our Stars) but Paper Towns was the first book I read of his in high school before I ever knew who he was and it was sort of mentality-changing, in a great way. I know this is probably gonna go down the girl-ish route Fault in Our Stars did but I'm still excited to see it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
TV Spot for Avengers: Age of Ultron with lots of new footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WM915QsOyI

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JoeyTrez posted:

Not sure if anyone is interested but the trailer for Paper Towns just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFGiHm5WMLk

I know John Green and his books/movies are now usually just associated with teenage girls (perhaps correctly to an extent, especially after Fault in Our Stars) but Paper Towns was the first book I read of his in high school before I ever knew who he was and it was sort of mentality-changing, in a great way. I know this is probably gonna go down the girl-ish route Fault in Our Stars did but I'm still excited to see it.

Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Road-trip Edition.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

That was not Toru Iwatani.

This annoyed me more than it should have. Like I dunno if the real Iwatani is a goony shut in who can't act and would have ruined the scene, but I think it would have been more entertaining for old-school arcade gamers if they'd gotten the real guy.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Xenomrph posted:

This annoyed me more than it should have. Like I dunno if the real Iwatani is a goony shut in who can't act and would have ruined the scene, but I think it would have been more entertaining for old-school arcade gamers if they'd gotten the real guy.

And worse for everyone else.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bows1 posted:

And worse for everyone else.
I guess it depends on if he could act or not. Stan Lee cameos in Marvel movies are a great wink for fans, and it helps that he can act.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I wasn't expecting the Stan Lee cameo in Big Hero 6 and I didn't know there was more to it than the portrait until weeks later when I found out it had a post-credits sequence.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

This annoyed me at first too but look not everyone can just get up in front of a camera and act. In fact you really never know if you can until you try and when you fail miserably (like me) you gain an appreciation for those that can do it. I realize that all Stan Lee's appearances are cameos but the guy can really deliver lines well and not everyone can.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

kiimo posted:

This annoyed me at first too but look not everyone can just get up in front of a camera and act. In fact you really never know if you can until you try and when you fail miserably (like me) you gain an appreciation for those that can do it. I realize that all Stan Lee's appearances are cameos but the guy can really deliver lines well and not everyone can.

Yeah, that's why I clarified that it annoyed me more than it should have. Like if the real guy posted on Twitter that he can't act but he endorses the guy playing him, it'd soothe the more irrational part of my brain.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing entertaining nerd-bait cameos in stuff, so when a movie "fakes" a cameo like this my gut reaction is "wow that's lazy" even if there's probably a very good reason why they didn't use the real guy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Stan Lee cannot act and every time he shows up it's like someone who did Radio Plays for years and then this is his one acting gig ever. It's always hokey.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Act =! delivering lines

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Stan Lee is like a goddamn Laurence Olivier next to that old guy who played the butler in the Raimi Spider-Mans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVH09n9CBR8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ror posted:

Stan Lee is like a goddamn Laurence Olivier next to that old guy who played the butler in the Raimi Spider-Mans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVH09n9CBR8

You shut the gently caress up, sir. That butler was loving hilarious

"Oh yeah, your father was all of those horrible things. Not sure why I waited 2 movies to tell you that but there you go. Well, see ya later"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hell, why not.

Because you know drat well that even if he makes a movie that looks surprisingly good, or clever, or whatever, Adam Sandler always returns to form and produces awful poo poo. Like this movie will be.

• Locked thread