Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Airspace posted:

I have no one on my friends list who play DW8 and I routinely drown in CAW units. It'd be more awesome if they weren't usually guys named "New Officer" who have custom midget soldiers.

This is pretty much my situation. I have no one on my friends list that plays and I get every anime and cartoon ever starting rebellions. I've never executed so many before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Drakenel posted:

This is pretty much my situation. I have no one on my friends list that plays and I get every anime and cartoon ever starting rebellions. I've never executed so many before.

Honestly in my case anime and cartoons would be an improvement.

The midget soldiers by themselves were hilarious, but I've had three games now where the CAW soldiers' height sliders were the only thing they modified across the entire Edit Mode spectrum.

After I finish a game I poke through the guest officers lists to see if I want to keep one or two. When I do, I see half a dozen decent ones, and I'm thinking "Where the gently caress were these guys the entire game?"

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Tall and Handsome Max leads the Tallsome unit I uploaded.

His solders are short fat guys dressed in green.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drakenel posted:

I've never executed so many before.

You say "drawback" but I hear "benefit".

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ainsley McTree posted:

You say "drawback" but I hear "benefit".

It's funny, cause you apparently already have the sword at their throat when deciding what to do with them, cause they don't get any snappy last words. Just *Select* "HRRK"

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Have they said much about the differences in previous vs. current gen in Bladestorm: Nightmare?

On that note, anyone interested in splitting a share of the PS3 version?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just played the Bladestorm Nightmare demo.

I guess I was expecting something like Kingdom Under Fire or something a bit more Musou alike. To be honest I am not sure what to think of it yet. It is interesting though!

Are you able to control where your partner unit goes? Whoever I currently control keeps wanting to double back to the first base I was supposed to capture. Wish it was also a little more obvious which bases I need to capture too.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 17, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, from the pause screen you can direct your other groups to specific targets like in SW games.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bladestorm: Nightmare is up on US PSN now.

PS3 version - $49.99. Note that this version is digital-only, there will be no disc release.
PS4 version - $59.99

Both come with an 'Exclusive Item set 1' bonus if purchased in the first month.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
The PS4 version of DW8E: Free Alliances Version is up as well. Downloading now, hopefully when I get home I can tell whether they actually did include the full Empires mode for PS+ subscribers.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Picked up DW8 Empires on XBone and it seems pretty fun. Though I really don't know what I am doing and I wish I knew the maps better. Any tips?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

The PS4 version of DW8E: Free Alliances Version is up as well. Downloading now, hopefully when I get home I can tell whether they actually did include the full Empires mode for PS+ subscribers.

Empire mode cannot be accessed at all, which is not a surprise. Sounds like it is possible to play co-op with someone who has the full game in Empires mode.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ZeusCannon posted:

Picked up DW8 Empires on XBone and it seems pretty fun. Though I really don't know what I am doing and I wish I knew the maps better. Any tips?

Don't forget to make a horse in the Edit menu so you can have a custom horse. Helps with getting around before you can buy good saddles or have the items to get your speed stat up.

Stack your speed stat, and a horse is irrelevant. :flashfact:

Everyone has access to at least a few basic items in the shop, so get those for some buffs if you're worried about surviving encounters. They can be relatively expensive, but quests can turn up good money with low risk.

You'll definitely want to pick up a +Attack Strategem for when you need to kill someone or capture a base inside a time limit. You can look at Territory Info to learn which territories sell which tactics at a given level of Academy.

I find Transformation is good for when I need to make sure my main camp doesn't fall (usually only a concern if I'm wildly outnumbered). A base can't fall if there are no enemy officers to claim it, so take them out before they can do so.

Unity is good for healing allies, but a Healing Turret is better--set one up outside a major battle or base and it'll be largely left alone while making you and your allies functionally invulnerable; however, it works both ways, so if your enemies don't seem to be taking damage, focus instead on killing their turrets/towers because one is probably healing them.

At least one Large Scale Strategem is a good idea. I like Gale since it'll automatically remove a certain number of enemy officers from the map and creates winds that damage and juggle enemies, which can make doing anything else much, much easier. Inferno makes capturing bases a cakewalk as everyone's health drops like a stone while it's in effect.

Watch out for allies who use tactics like Affection or Confiscate, because those will destroy your troop count or your base durability, and many NPCs like to spam those skills for the buffs. This can make it harder for defeated officers to respawn or easier for your bases to get captured.

If you're outnumbered in a fight (like you're rebelling and only have one or two people), it may be a good idea to make sure you have as many supply bases as you can--so long as you have supplies replenishing troop count, your teammates will have a chance to keep respawning (at least up to three times, which seems to be the limit for anyone).

If you don't mind being evil, the assassination missions open up their high star difficulties faster than other missions in my experience, and can get you really good items you might not be able to get any other way, so you can start the kingdom game girded with excellent items.

Don't forget you can give officers on your side individual orders if you're a ruler/strategist/marshall/in charge of an invasion or defense.

If capturing an enemy base is an objective, remember that you need to connect the dots on the map by capturing bases along the way--just rushing straight for the enemy main camp and killing everyone there isn't enough.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 18, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Lotish posted:

If capturing an enemy base is an objective, remember that you need to connect the dots on the map by capturing bases along the way--just rushing straight for the enemy main camp and killing everyone there isn't enough.

you can capture any base other than the main camp without a supply line. so if youre raiding you can rush right to the secondary camp, capture it then withdraw for a win and damage to the province.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZeusCannon posted:

If you want to stomp everything, focus on buying items.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I found joining another kingdom to be alot harder than starting your own. So keep that in mind. But after I did that the game became easy just by playing it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I finally started getting into empire mode and OH MAN THE SIEGE SPEAR IS THE loving BEST I hope whoever it is at W-Force who jumped up during a design meeting and yelled out "ANCIENT CHINESE PILE BUNKER" got a raise

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I picked up Nightmare yesterday but I split time between it and Elite after work so I didn't spend a ton of time with it. Some early impressions:

They updated the lighting engine a lot and there is a lot more clutter on the map so everything looks nicer but it doesn't look as nice as say SW4. I played the original a bit last week again while waiting for this and it is a pretty large step up from that.

They have changed the way leveling your books works, you still can level them in battle but all the skill points go into one big pool you can use to upgrade or raise the level of any book you have unlocked.

There is a free mode now you can replay past battles in. Like other Koei games anything you earn in free mode carries over.

Other people's CAW(M?) show up as random mercs in battle in your game. In edit mode you can "Station" up to 2 of your CAW in regions for set periods of time, when they come back they bring you stuff. I set some off for 3 hours last night and they returned with absurd amounts of skill points, gold and equipment. Stationing is pretty OP right now and it feels like it breaks progression but if you want to lessen the grind it will surely help.

I haven't tried the Nightmare side of the campaign yet.

Overall for the Hundred Years War side it is an improvement in pretty much every area and it feels like this is the game they wanted to make instead of the first one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Station and xp currently have a big boost going on for the first week which is making the systems even more ridiculous.

Coming from DW:E the customization options were a bit disappointing but I'm sure some stuff needs to be unlocked.

Still kinda weird that there's neon hair but no shades of red.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Don't forget you can give officers on your side individual orders if you're a ruler/strategist/marshall/in charge of an invasion or defense.

How do you do this?

Also I just joined a kingdom right off the bat and have been playing loyal retainer but now I am a prefect and I have some various territory and the guy I am working for is beginning to annoy me so I'm debating just straight killing him off.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

ZeusCannon posted:

How do you do this?

Also I just joined a kingdom right off the bat and have been playing loyal retainer but now I am a prefect and I have some various territory and the guy I am working for is beginning to annoy me so I'm debating just straight killing him off.

There's will be an extra option for individual orders in the pause menu.

One annoying thing is they tend to ignore your orders if already fighting someone.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ZeusCannon posted:

How do you do this?

If you can slander the existing strategist/marshall and get a good relationship with your lord, you might be able to make yourself a strategist/marshall, at which point you can rebel and take the kingdom for yourself; that'll get you Usurper and you get to keep everything. Alternatively, see if you can do assassinations until "Assassinate the ruler" comes up and kill him, moving someone more pliable/agreeable into place. Or you can secede and take your land for a new king.

If you want to expand your own territories before doing that, remember that any invasions you do that aren't scheduled by your ruler are yours to keep. I took 13/15s of China or something when I seceded because of that.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wafflz posted:

I picked up Nightmare yesterday but I split time between it and Elite after work so I didn't spend a ton of time with it. Some early impressions:

They updated the lighting engine a lot and there is a lot more clutter on the map so everything looks nicer but it doesn't look as nice as say SW4. I played the original a bit last week again while waiting for this and it is a pretty large step up from that.

They have changed the way leveling your books works, you still can level them in battle but all the skill points go into one big pool you can use to upgrade or raise the level of any book you have unlocked.

There is a free mode now you can replay past battles in. Like other Koei games anything you earn in free mode carries over.

Other people's CAW(M?) show up as random mercs in battle in your game. In edit mode you can "Station" up to 2 of your CAW in regions for set periods of time, when they come back they bring you stuff. I set some off for 3 hours last night and they returned with absurd amounts of skill points, gold and equipment. Stationing is pretty OP right now and it feels like it breaks progression but if you want to lessen the grind it will surely help.

I haven't tried the Nightmare side of the campaign yet.

Overall for the Hundred Years War side it is an improvement in pretty much every area and it feels like this is the game they wanted to make instead of the first one.

Which system are you playing on? I was thinking of grabbing it on PS3 but maybe I'll wait a couple months for Steam to get it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

iastudent posted:

Which system are you playing on? I was thinking of grabbing it on PS3 but maybe I'll wait a couple months for Steam to get it.

Steam will likely get a ps3 port going by Koei's previous efforts.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

iastudent posted:

PS4

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
KT Europe's twitter mentioned that the patch for the voice errors is dropping soon and I guess that it includes "additional updates" so I hope they prove me wrong about not releasing the rest of the QoL features.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Toothache42/dw8e_tower.png

So, here's something prone to abuse in DW8E: you can place towers outside the normal map boundaries. This was actually dropped by an enemy and I took it over using False Orders, but still begs the question why it was even possible in the first place?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Anyone playing Bladestorm: Nightmare that have played DW8/DW8E or Warriors Orochi? How are you liking it compared to them. I tried the demo and liked the setting but the movement felt a bit awkward to me with how you need to run up to a unit and grab them then tow them around. I've been watching some streams and I'm very tempted to get this but with Bloodborne coming out next week I think I'll hold off.

I wish I could find a streamer that used a proper capture card for this though, everyone is streaming directly through xbone or ps4 which cuts out all the game audio.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The GIG posted:

KT Europe's twitter mentioned that the patch for the voice errors is dropping soon and I guess that it includes "additional updates" so I hope they prove me wrong about not releasing the rest of the QoL features.

I'm not 100% up to speed on what QoL features Japan has gotten, but here's the post from KOEI's facebook page:

quote:

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires Patch ver 1.01 is available now for the PS4, PS3 and Xbox One (a patch for the Steam version is scheduled to come in April).
* The following functionality has been added:
・Settings for Ways of Life and Favorite Stratagems in "Custom Officers"
・The ability to download custom units in "Custom Units"
* The following bugs have been fixed:
・Strategems sometimes triggered after officers had been defeated
・Raids could not be played online
・Performing certain steps on the officer selection screen in Free Mode caused the game to crash
・The game crashed during certain Rage Attacks
・Performing certain steps when making a custom scenario caused certain officer data, such as their gender or Way of Life, to become incorrect
・Characters in the line break position were not displayed in custom scenario descriptions
・In Empire Mode, the game would crash after 48 years had passed
・Starting Empire Mode with a custom unit that had configured Ways of Life caused a corrupted version of Xiahou Dun's character model to appear on the Strategy Screen
・Virtue levels configured by Way of Life settings were not properly reflected in Empire Mode
・On the Marching Officer Selection Screen, trying to replace players 1 and 2 after already having chosen marching officers caused the game to crash
・Installing the downloadable content "Japanese Voice Option for DW8XL" for DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends caused the wrong voice lines to play for characters in DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires (This applies to PS4 and PS3 versions only.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have played Empires about five times through now and I have yet to experience a single crash, actually. But

quote:

Settings for Ways of Life and Favorite Stratagems in "Custom Officers"

is a biggie.

Also,

quote:

Virtue levels configured by Way of Life settings were not properly reflected in Empire Mode

I was wondering why my Virtuous Saint guy was basically evil as all get out.

One of the patches in Japan apparently froze you in place when an enemy used a Musou, which obviously makes higher difficulties with Musou happy officers more lethal. I wonder if that's coming in.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

I have played Empires about five times through now and I have yet to experience a single crash, actually.

I've had it crash once or twice, usually when I trigger a rage/musou attack with a ton of people on screen. It hasn't happened nearly as often as that bug in XL at release that would crash me loading stages.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Will be able to give those guest officer scrubs I saved that came with Ordinary Man a mid-tier WoL. :toot:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I got Empires 8 from Gamefly and having never played one of these before holy gently caress am I lost. Any tips for someone just starting out who wants to enjoy slicing and dicing hordes of enemies?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

I got Empires 8 from Gamefly and having never played one of these before holy gently caress am I lost. Any tips for someone just starting out who wants to enjoy slicing and dicing hordes of enemies?

Start as a free officer as they've got less to manage. If you gradually work your way up within a kingdom it eases you into things more.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So I uh, tried out the Free Alliances version of 8:E on PS4 and the regular sounds and audio are playing through my speakers, but the character voices are playing through my controller. Is this normal, and can I disable this?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Scyther posted:

So I uh, tried out the Free Alliances version of 8:E on PS4 and the regular sounds and audio are playing through my speakers, but the character voices are playing through my controller. Is this normal, and can I disable this?

The only way to disable it is to turn off the controller volume via the PS4. The voices still come from the TV too. And yes, it's obnoxious.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love that the voices come from the controller. It's fun.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

Are you unfamiliar with DW in general or just the Empires version?

Either way, the game probably isn't as complicated as it looks.

In battles, you want to murder a line of bases to their main base, and prevent the same from happening to you.
* You can use "strategems" to place towers that absolutely murder bases as well - watch out for the AI doing this and blitzing down a lane. There are also other ones that do a variety of stuff like heal/buff/special attack/etc.
* If you're defending, you actually need to defend two bases - the primary one (lose = lose province) and secondary (lose = take province damage, 4 province damage loses the province), so also watch out for that. You can check that stuff in the pause menu.
* Also in the pause menu - troop strength is basically revives where 2K troops are one revive. Killing enemy generals on their second or later lives with musou attacks can result in them dropping weapons (you want weapons)

In the strategy mode, what you can do is determined by your rank and the other officers that are with you (so if you have Cao Cao in your band of dudes, you can "Scout").
* Don't worry too much about resources, there really isn't any semblance of an "economy" here.
* Just recruit dudes (not too many, they do cost gold per turn though), make them happy, marry one, brother up another two
* Invade/raid/join nearby battles/quest for the murder funtimes. Note that non-quest battles temporarily reduces your stats, and you need to not battle to regain them (or use a recuperate for the turn).
* Quests and battles give you Merits (aka XP) for leveling up your stats. If you're in a kingdom, you can also chose to fulfil some goals evrey 6 months for more XP. I think the AI gets XP at a near fixed schedule, and you probably will outlevel and outstat them quite easily (leading to my continuous sperging out about difficulty)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 22, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Where is the difference between Empire and Extreme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

Where is the difference between Empire and Extreme?

Extreme is just an addon pack to the normal games that adds more campaigns/characters and occasionally a new mode.

Empires is a standalone strategy game that borrows the combat engine and characters of the base game.