Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

saintonan posted:

Here's how it works. Without replays I can't really speak to your game specifically.

I would take a screenshot of the post-battle screen, but I just got my account suspended for killing gold selling spammers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

ranbo das posted:

I don't get the way world of tanks gives out XP. I just had a game where me and another guy were both in tier 4 medium tanks. He got like 50% more XP than I did, even though I did twice as much damage as he did and got TK'd by him (Neither of us spotted anyone which I know gives XP). Do different tanks just give different amounts of xp or something?
There are a few exp modifiers in the game. One of the important ones that can lead to discrepancies like this is based on the relative tier of tanks you damage. If you're a tier 5 in a tier 7 game, and you damage a lot of tier 7 tanks, you will get more experience than another tier 5 that only damages other tier 5 tanks.

You can also get more experience if you "assist" allies in damaging enemy tanks. One way is by spotting an enemy that enables an ally to damage the tank that he otherwise would not be able to see. The other way is by tracking enemy tanks--any damage that allies cause to the tank while it's tracked will be counted toward your assisted damage. Experience gained by assisted damage is 50% of the experience your ally gets for damaging the tank, IIRC. I'm not sure if any other exp modifiers are taken into account for assisted damage (like if your ally causing the damage is in a lower tier tank, do you benefit from that modifier?).

So, if you and that other medium were fighting the same enemy, and he tracked it, he'd get some of your experience if you damaged the enemy while it was tracked.

edit: a correction about assisted damage: I don't think you get 50% of what your ally gets, I think you split the experience with your ally 50/50. The way I phrased it originally made it sound like your ally gets 100% and you get 50% of that value. I think you will get the same amount--50% each. Incidentally, this is why artillery and TDs tend to get lower experience than other tanks despite doing more damage. Most of the time, artillery and TDs are shooting at tanks that they aren't spotting themselves. That means they have to share experience with their allies.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Blind shots give you 100% of the value.

Not saying take blind shots, but it is still a fun little tid bit.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 19, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the info all. It's probably a good thing i got a forced break. there was one game out of 7 today where I didn't either have a gold seller on my team or get tk'd, which is pretty frustrating.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Thanks for the info all. It's probably a good thing i got a forced break. there was one game out of 7 today where I didn't either have a gold seller on my team or get tk'd, which is pretty frustrating.
It sounds like you are playing in low tiers. Once you get to higher tiers, there won't be gold selling spammers, and you won't get TK'd quite as much. If you add me as a friend in-game I will platoon low tiers with you sometime (Uranium235).

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

Camping is a plague.

B-b-but it works when CHAI does it!

If I had a nickel for every time I said "you can't cede control of the map and expect to win," well, I'd have a bunch of nickels. Playing an aggressive defense is past some folk's understanding.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

Playing an aggressive defense is past some folk's understanding.

WG really needs to back some of the more popular members of the community and come out with a "Basic Concepts to Not Actively Try To Lose Games For Your Team" video to explain these things. Not saying hold new players face to the screen, but some basic concept tutorials. It is unacceptable that the tutorial BARELY teaches new players how to play the game, also it has no concept of what the actual gameplay is going to be like. Teaching new players nothing and expecting them to learn everything just from playing is frustrating and not a good way to keep players interested in your game.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Mesadoram posted:

Blind shoots give you 100% of the value.

Not saying take blind shots, but it is still a fun little tid bit.

M53/55 on Malinovka, start west. You know that bush on the east side, overlooking the lake, that tanks tend to park in? I aim in just behind that, and when my first shot is loaded, I fire. Enemy RU251 dies. :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I love when I am in a light tank at 8 pubbie poo poo lords camping in TDs at spawn cry about needing spots when they aren't even in render range of anything if I chose to spot for the trash.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Valle posted:

M53/55 on Malinovka, start west. You know that bush on the east side, overlooking the lake, that tanks tend to park in? I aim in just behind that, and when my first shot is loaded, I fire. Enemy RU251 dies. :v:

The tears must have made you so happy.

BadLlama posted:

I love when I am in a light tank at 8 pubbie poo poo lords camping in TDs at spawn cry about needing spots when they aren't even in render range of anything if I chose to spot for the trash.

When light tanks are used right, they can really gently caress over some tanks. Scary poo poo when you are in a 13 90 and you see 8 tanks roll by. Just gotta hope the RNG Gods smile on you and your camo holds, and not to get an itchy trigger finger and blow your cover.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Valle posted:

I was just in a game with an M53 with 500 games played it, so he had plenty of in-tank xp to upgrade his poo poo. He asked me how much damage my average shot did, as he was using the lovely gun because reasons. :confused:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

I was just in a game with an M53 with 500 games played it, so he had plenty of in-tank xp to upgrade his poo poo. He asked me how much damage my average shot did, as he was using the lovely gun because reasons. :confused:

The ammo is cheaper.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The ammo is cheaper.

That's certainly part of it, but I think that some people do this because the smaller guns are more accurate and fire faster, in almost all artillery, which in their mind makes them better.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 19, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I can definitely see someone upgrading to the big gun, aiming it badly or just getting unlucky for a few rounds and then going "ahh gently caress this" and swapping back.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

That's certainly part of it, but I think that some people do this because the smaller guns are more accurate and fire faster, in almost all artillery, which in their mind makes them better.

gently caress that. I want huge explosions and rivers of pubbie tears from one shots.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

B-b-but it works when CHAI does it!

If I had a nickel for every time I said "you can't cede control of the map and expect to win," well, I'd have a bunch of nickels. Playing an aggressive defense is past some folk's understanding.

Shitlords have no concept of map control. I don't even bother trying to tell them anymore since I've been chat banned numerous times for blowing up over that poo poo.

Map control? gently caress that, I have won before by campin' hard as gently caress and poaching half dead enemies at the end of the game therefore it will always work. - shitlord

Losing on a game where both teams tried to play halfway competently is way more fun than steamrolls any day, but the game has practically turned into steamroll every game for some reason. (I blame high alpha tanks)

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 19, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Mesadoram posted:

The tears must have made you so happy.

That was the weird bit actually, he didn't say a thing. So since I was realoading anyway, I told'im in allchat that I'd blindshot the bush since light tanks tend to go there. And he just went "Ah, was wondering how I could be spotted and killed by arty before sixth sense went off...that explains it." (He was a 54% dude btw, decent wn8)

Some people use the stock gun because aims faster and is more accurate. At which point it's basically a batchat arty, more or less. So go figure!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Agrajag posted:

Losing on a game where both teams tried to play halfway competently is way more fun than steamrolls any day, but the game has practically turned into steamroll every game for some reason. (I blame high alpha tanks)

I blame high pen tanks, something that WG will be taking baby steps to help with in future patches. Being able to autoaim pen heavies and assault tds through the front makes for very lazy shitlord gameplay. Make mediums and camping tds actually have to either aim or flank people (and get rid of three-lane maps where flanking is impossible).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

saintonan posted:

I blame high pen tanks, something that WG will be taking baby steps to help with in future patches. Being able to autoaim pen heavies and assault tds through the front makes for very lazy shitlord gameplay. Make mediums and camping tds actually have to either aim or flank people (and get rid of three-lane maps where flanking is impossible).

High alpha and high pen together in TD's are the problem. Medium tanks don't have obscene amounts of pen and the alpha is not a problem. Also a lot of mediums basically have no armor.

Playing a medium tank is hardly easy mode as you seem to think it is.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 19, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The game was never balanced for gold shells, but these days they're practically primary ammo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Prav posted:

I can definitely see someone upgrading to the big gun, aiming it badly or just getting unlucky for a few rounds and then going "ahh gently caress this" and swapping back.

Like a year ago, we had a FV304 with several hundred games in the thing sitting in west spawn on Sand River. It comes down to me, him, and one other dude against their T28 Proto camping on the northeast mountain. We could either cap, or get 1100 more damage, so I spot the Proto and pull back, and my other teammate would spot and pull back, keeping the Proto from doing anything while our artillery kills him. And then the FV never moves up even though we were asking him to...while the Proto starts taking ten to twenty damage per shot. The loving FV was choosing to use the small gun, the shittiest artillery gun in the game, because he was such a loving coward he didn't want to risk having to move his arti within five hundred meters.

Pubbies are scum and cowardice should be grounds for a day long ban from tanks.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

OTOH team killing anyone with a sub 500 WN8 should be worth a day of premium.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Add a troika ability. Three players agree that a sub-500 WN8 shitlord is a coward and traitor? Bam, he turns blue, it's execution time.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Add a troika ability. Three players agree that a sub-500 WN8 shitlord is a coward and traitor? Bam, he turns blue, it's execution time.

Oh god, that would make goon tooning even more fun :commissar:

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Pubbies are scum and cowardice should be grounds for a day long ban from tanks.

Bring back the days of :commissar:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Bring back the days of :commissar:

I thought we already did this, though? Despite the penalty.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I certainly do. But I was horrified to get a Battle Buddy medal yesterday, so I have been neglecting my duties.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

I certainly do. But I was horrified to get a Battle Buddy medal yesterday, so I have been neglecting my duties.

Bugged, like God of War, which I should have gotten a few times.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

WayAbvPar posted:

I think I have 20 of them by now and I have no idea how.

Also, too lazy to quote myself from a couple of days ago but it still stands, what the gently caress has been going on in these last few days? People are playing... differently. Equally worthless but they are taking new retarded positions I have never seen before.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
:frogsiren: THE T-54 FIRST MODEL SUCKS THE BIGGEST DICKS :frogsiren:

Do not hope for this tank. Do not plan to buy this tank. It is the worst thing they have ever added to the game.

But Ross, you ask, how could it possibly be any worse than the Comet? Let me explain before I murder you for sullying the reptuation of The Best Tier 7.

You are a "medium tank" that goes 44km/h. This might sound faster than the British mediums but it is not, because the British mediums have these magical things called "acceleration" and "traction". The T-54 first model (henceforth referred to as "T-54 SP", or T-54 poo poo Pile) has such abhorrent acceleration that you can be going in a straight line on flat ground and still never see your top speed. Even the IS-7 has better driving qualities than this giant steaming turd. Your turning ability is hampered by your poo poo traction and your weak as gently caress engine, and your tank is weighed down by a bunch of dumb armour that offers absolutely nothing of value in the tier 9 and 10 games you will inevitably see. In fact, it also offers nothing of value in a tier 8 game! You also have a rather borderline hitpoint pool (1,300HP at tier 8 is on the low end of average) and naturally you will not be able to get the gently caress out of the way of incoming fire to avoid losing those hitpoints.

Oh also you have pretty bad gun depression.

That's okay, you foolishly exclaim like the dumb goon badlord you are, I'll just pretend I'm a CHAI superstar and snipe from the back with gold! 235 pen is workable! Punch yourself in the dick for being such an idiot, because you're wrong again.

The T-54 SP has cancerously bad gun handling. Like, ELC-tier. You can't hit things at point-blank on the move, the aim time is glacial, and bloom takes forever to settle. Your base accuracy isn't even any good, and you'll be constantly missing entire tanks at medium range, let alone weakspots. This gun could have Jesus-tier DPM for all it matters, because it never loving hits anything so your actual effective DPM would be zero, just like your IQ, for wanting to buy this terrible tank.

Buy a superior premium like the AMX CDC.

enkalen
May 26, 2013
T29 Question: What is the best order to upgrade? I am thinking Tracks, then the 105 gun. Turret and engine would be last. I am planning on keeping the tank, so I was thinking of putting on a rammer, vstab, and coated optics. Is there better equipment to add?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I don't get why they insist on making stupendously poo poo premiums. The CDC is like the weird outlier for no known reason.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

enkalen posted:

T29 Question: What is the best order to upgrade? I am thinking Tracks, then the 105 gun. Turret and engine would be last. I am planning on keeping the tank, so I was thinking of putting on a rammer, vstab, and coated optics. Is there better equipment to add?

I'd go with gun/turret, turret/gun, engine, tracks. The turret gives you more dpm and view range, so it's a pretty good upgrade. Slap on suspension in the meantime if it actually can't mount everything before getting tracks. Equipment is good.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Agrajag posted:

I don't get why they insist on making stupendously poo poo premiums. The CDC is like the weird outlier for no known reason.

I wish they'd added the T-44-85. That thing was a loving monster if you weren't inclined towards eating soap and/or glue.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Agrajag posted:

Gotta catch em all.

Fake Edit: AKA people are retards.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

On the one hand Ross is overreacting a bit here - 0,22/0,16 bloom isn't that bad, 6° gun dep won't impress anyone but it's not that bad, 1,2 passability certainly isn't that bad and the D10T... well OK the D10T is still the idiot gun.

But on the other hand the tank in inferior to the Type 59 in every area except UFP thickness and a small bit of ROF. Not worth it. I think that mostly says more about the Type 59 getting a much too cushy deal than it says about the T-54FP though. Plus a 120 mm UFP is pretty nice.

Buuuuuuut it gets standard MM. Are you loving kidding WG? Seriously? It's just worse than a soft MM tank and you throw it to the wolves?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Play it. It is that bad.

Like, it just feels miserable to play on a scale that most tanks could only dream of. The sum of all its problems is a lot more ingame than it may appear on paper.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rossmum posted:

Play it. It is that bad.

I did! It was a blast in tier 8 and got mulched in T10.

e: all-Scorpion matches are stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid.

Prav fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 19, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The thing handles like a loving heavy and its gun has horrible handling. Like, the 59 has bad mobility compared to the T-44 and bad gun handling, but this thing literally feels more like I'm driving a heavy tank than a medium and as a result the gun is unforgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign Expendable posted:

:mad: