Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Whether or not Starbound is good has nothing to do with the fact that it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The shitposting was better when there were funny gifs.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

JerikTelorian posted:

The shitposting was better when there were funny gifs.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I have Tiy as a Tulpa, he whispers me secrets about things such as starbound.

he tells me that they pretty much ripped the engine out of Terraria, and the big hiatus was becaus relogic found out, scared that they would be hit with a Penile hammer, they went out to find a different engine to steal.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's a penile hammer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eonwe posted:

What's a penile hammer

2H weapon, shoots out bones that spell out "MADE YOU MY BITCH" and the swing soundbyte is tiy shouting "BADGAME" at 150dB

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I played Starbound for like four hours today. Just zoned out. I like the game

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I decided to have a go at making a staff just now, excuse the scratchy image quality, couldn't get gifcam to behave :doh:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

I Said No posted:

I decided to have a go at making a staff just now, excuse the scratchy image quality, couldn't get gifcam to behave :doh:

This is neat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

I Said No posted:

That is cool as poo poo.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Now if only you could move while charging a staff. Seriously, how is it a good idea to lock someone to the ground when the toughest enemies can easily two-shot you even with highest tier armor.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I would assume that lack of mobility is the tradeoff for all the advantages staff users get over melee/ranged users.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Vib Rib posted:

all the advantages staff users get over melee/ranged users.

Good one.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I would assume that lack of mobility is the tradeoff for all the advantages staff users get over melee/ranged users.

The advantages of what, being killed before your mediocre attack can do (at most!) 1/10th their health in damage?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah staffs loving suck, guns do better damage and you can move while you use them and they launch a nice easy projectile rather than the slow, dumb gimmicks staffs usually have.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
A couple of the staffs are decent for attacking from weird angles and hitting stuff that can't see you/retaliate in any meaningful way. They're not so good in out-and-out combat, though.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Staves should put up a barrier bubble to protect you while you're charging. It could have a healthbar like they did with shields so you couldn't use it to tank hits, but you'd still have some defense against getting sneezed on and losing your 15-second charge.
It would still suck rear end because you can't move and they take forever to power up, but at least you'd get a shot or two off?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Boom Blast and Quezacotl's Quartz staves are hilariously powerful. They're the only two really worth using though, to be fair.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hello.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The plot thickens

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tin Tim posted:

The plot thickens

the return of shmorky

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Shmorky would be a Hyotle (Japan --> Sumo --> Sumo loin cloth --> Diapers)

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
throw your money away,
good games are for another day,
mine some bad gameplay,
down in Klurffle Rock!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

gently caress, I'd play it.

What kind of spaceship do they get?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Literally Kermit posted:

gently caress, I'd play it.

What kind of spaceship do they get?

One in diapers.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

The plot thickens

Proof that starbound is almost as amazing as Homeworld. I wish lowtax was on my friends list. I might almost feel special

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

The plot thickens

oddium posted:

Shmorky would be a Hyotle (Japan --> Sumo --> Sumo loin cloth --> Diapers)

Lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

:eyepop:

starbound is bad

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You know those teleporters the devs were hyping up to solve everyone's transportation problems and just be generally convenient?

Well, they break when you move them and you have to go buy another from the outpost. Because it would be overpowered otherwise.

Just thought you ought to know.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

haha, nuh uh, no way

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cicadas! posted:

You know those teleporters the devs were hyping up to solve everyone's transportation problems and just be generally convenient?

Well, they break when you move them and you have to go buy another from the outpost. Because it would be overpowered otherwise.

Just thought you ought to know.

lol

i dont get it

starbound would be great as a sandbox game, just give people a poo poo ton of fun items and they'll make fun things

why make it a slog

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

haha, nuh uh, no way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVD_1VZ2YA
Hand to god. Quote in question is around the 4 minute mark.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

why make it a slog
Game design :colbert:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

*fart*

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaVD_1VZ2YA
Hand to god. Quote in question is around the 4 minute mark.

"What it means is that you can't just carry it with you all the time and just have a free out"

*saves and quits and loads back onto spaceship*

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This thread is a good reminder of why sometimes I'm loving stupid for getting my hopes up about viddy game features.

EDIT: vvv Can I just buy some homeward bones instead? I mean, :darksouls: is looking pretty streamlined and forgiving right now.

Goons love Darksouls, maybe somebody will mod up a bonfire teleport system who the gently caress knows.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 31, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Apparently the feature works like this:

Get an expensive/rare item from a couple of different sources that let you actually make a teleporter work
Buy teleporter items you use the expensive/rare item on
Set down the teleporter and then use the item on it (or just have it in your inventory? or it's consumed when you put the teleporter item down? probably the latter) and it links to your network
If you put the teleporter one pixel to the left on accident or you discovered a nicer place to put it down a few feet into the cavern, tough poo poo idiot, buy a new one
You get the expensive/rare item back so you can just go into your inventory and put down another teleporter (that you had to buy (which apparently isn't going to be that expensive)) anyway

Instead of just making teleporters expensive items that you unlock at a certain tier or whatever.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bravo, Chucklefish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Eonwe posted:

lol

i dont get it

starbound would be great as a sandbox game, just give people a poo poo ton of fun items and they'll make fun things

why make it a slog

Because Dark Souls, idiot

• Locked thread