Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Bruceski posted:

Everyone's missing the big thing from this episode. Either Oliver shot his grapple arrow into one of those :tinfoil: Black Helicopters or he can fly.

He fired the grapple arrow into a floating solid block made of script convenience!

Good episode overall, my only groaner moment was when Felicity was all bedroom eyes and telling Ollie he'd be the prettiest princess of the LoA and that she's happy so long as he's in her life. It's not that I didn't fully expect it - it's a CW show after all - but I was hoping we'd get at least a few episodes of Raylicity being solid so a groan slipped my lips all the same.

Yay for Laurel finally having someone train her, her being only semi-competent has gotten pretty old and her character and the show as a whole will only benefit from her turning into a proper badass. It'll make the scene with Cisco from the Paleyfest trailer a lot more credible if she can say she's the Black Canary based on her own merits rather than just keeping on living on Sarahs reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Maybe Ras ordered Maseo to save Oliver all along, but keep from him the fact that they used the Lazarus Pit to build this sense of destiny for Oliver. Ras seems to have been turned off by Nyssa's weakness, and would have been on the look out for an heir he deems strong enough for some time. Oliver is a good fighter, ascetic to the point of spurning relationships, and up until Tommy died, was basically running the Starling City Chapter of the League of Assassins. Oliver has all the makings of a perfect successor, including fearlessness is the face of certain death.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mrking posted:

Oliver should have taken Ra's offer and just put Diggle in charge. Maybe then Diggle could afford a real costume.

Felicity should have pointed out that Ray can basically replace Oliver if he leaves so he shouldn't feel like he's abandoning anyone. Really, Oliver taking the deal is the best thing from a logical standpoint. He can send some goons to Star City for back-up for his crew, get Laurel some better training and use his resources to covertly improve the city in ways he never could as Oliver Queen. The League can likely hold Malcolm indefinitely if he wants too.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 19, 2015

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And it could lead into Arrow Incorporated.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He would make them switch from swords / bows and arrows to guns?

I was thinking more about when Ra's suggested Ollie could implement a no killing rule.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

I was thinking more about when Ra's suggested Ollie could implement a no killing rule.

woosh

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope Charles Barkley becomes the next Ra's Al Ghul and it becomes the league of Slamjammers.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Pretty sure he was referring to Barry and the crazy poo poo they're going through on a daily basis over in Central City.

Well yea that's the obvious interpretation, was just suggesting it could possibly be misdirection.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I don't care what happens as long as Katrina Law gets more screen time / becomes a regular.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

greatn posted:

I hope Charles Barkley becomes the next Ra's Al Ghul and it becomes the league of Slamjammers.

Shut up and jam, Detective.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

The League is sitting on the world's largest stockpile of Incan gold.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

greatn posted:

They did say they want to introduce more of magic and the supernatural, so obviously the big bads of season 4 are the Monstars.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Whizbang posted:

They did say they want to introduce more of magic and the supernatural, so obviously the big bads of season 4 are the Monstars.

This would also nicely explain why Warner Brothers hasn't been using the Monstarts recently.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm really loving the idea of Laurel & Nyssa training together, that's p sexy (and cute). I wonder if they'd go in the direction of making them lovers?

Also, Ra's looked pretty bizarre in Ollie's Arrow costume, in an "Uncle Bill! Get out of the Batman suit! You're like 55!" kinda way. However, I do have to say that I'm surprised that someone hadn't already tried the whole Arrow-copycat thing already because it seems like it would be the best way to take him down.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ded posted:

I don't care what happens as long as Katrina Law gets more screen time / becomes a regular.

Yeah, basically this. If Katrina Law becomes a regular in s4, I'll forget my issues with the season.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Everyone's missing the big thing from this episode. Either Oliver shot his grapple arrow into one of those :tinfoil: Black Helicopters or he can fly.

That was amazing.

So why didn't Nyssa resurrect Sarah using the Laz pit?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Valeyard posted:

That was amazing.

I think it only resurrects people who have died very recently (I want to say within minutes, but don't quote me). Nyssa found out about Sarah weeks later.

Besides, I doubt Ra's would let her "waste" the pit's power on Sarah.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Valeyard posted:

That was amazing.

She didn't find out Sara had died for a good while after it had happened. The Lazarus pits seem relatively weaker here compared to the comics.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's gonna be kind of lame for Lance to immediately blame Arrow for this when half the population of Starling and most visitors from it of town use bows and half of those people wear hoods. I guess only Oliver could ever use a green hood. I know he's mad, but that shouldn't also make him dumb.

Also it will be super dumb if his own team doesn't believe he's innocent.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, it's not really unbelievable that the Arrow started running around the town killing folks again. It's not really without precedent.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Especially since he vocally expressed willingness to become the next Ra's, not just to Diggle but also to Felicity.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, what could've been a cool game changing moment went nowhere, as expected. Oliver is still completely unwilling to change his ways one way or another, and Ra's al Ghul is now going back to attack Starling for different reasons. Thus, we're back to square one. Amazing.

Ra's himself cosplaying as the Arrow is really silly too. You'd expect him to send someone to do it for him, why the hell would he go do it himself? Hell, it seems like quite a petty move from someone that dignified.

Literally the only thing I liked this episode was Laurel and Nyssa's friendship. Apart from that it was another episode that completely fell flat. Pretty bad when you consider how amazing the Flash keeps being, or how good this series was one season ago. Oh well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, what could've been a cool game changing moment went nowhere, as expected. Oliver is still completely unwilling to change his ways one way or another, and Ra's al Ghul is now going back to attack Starling for different reasons. Thus, we're back to square one. Amazing.

Ra's himself cosplaying as the Arrow is really silly too. You'd expect him to send someone to do it for him, why the hell would he go do it himself? Hell, it seems like quite a petty move from someone that dignified.

Literally the only thing I liked this episode was Laurel and Nyssa's friendship. Apart from that it was another episode that completely fell flat. Pretty bad when you consider how amazing the Flash keeps being, or how good this series was one season ago. Oh well.

Agreed on all points. It's almost as if the writers are trying to drag poo poo on for as long as possible. For example, Thea's internal conflict was interesting, but this episode's scenes made me think, god drat, get the hell over it already. Don't get me wrong, I really like Thea (both the character and the actor), but I think they're really wasting her potential by focusing so much on emo content.

And for gently caress's sake, Merlyn needs to die already.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ra's is the only white guy in the League.

enraged_camel posted:

Agreed on all points. It's almost as if the writers are trying to drag poo poo on for as long as possible. For example, Thea's internal conflict was interesting, but this episode's scenes made me think, god drat, get the hell over it already. Don't get me wrong, I really like Thea (both the character and the actor), but I think they're really wasting her potential by focusing so much on emo content.

And for gently caress's sake, Merlyn needs to die already.

Willa Holland stood out as bad even with the low bar on The OC so no I think they're using exactly to her potential.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean, if Diggle or Felicity goes up to Oliver and says "Was that you?" That's fine, but if he says "It wasn't me" and then they don't believe him, that would be just unbelievably stupid.

PS. The only thing Thea hates more than Merlyn is the bottom halves of shirts

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

greatn posted:

PS. The only thing Thea hates more than Merlyn is the bottom halves of shirts

It's really goddamn uncanny but on the other hand definitely not a -bad- choice for her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Willa Holland stood out as bad even with the low bar on The OC so no I think they're using exactly to her potential.

I know she gets a lot of hate because of The OC, but I don't find her acting bad. I think she does a reasonably good job at conveying emotion and conflict, and manages to stand out amongst older, more experienced actors.

I just like it more when she is sword-fighting (even if it's just sparring), running her night club or even having calm, mature conversations with her brother.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

It's gonna be kind of lame for Lance to immediately blame Arrow for this when half the population of Starling and most visitors from it of town use bows and half of those people wear hoods. I guess only Oliver could ever use a green hood. I know he's mad, but that shouldn't also make him dumb.

Lance is pissed at Arrow/Ollie for lying about Sarah. That is going to cloud his reason.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ra's personally undermining Oliver's reputation in Starling helps convey the fact that he won't take No for an answer is what I got out of that.

Also I'm pretty sure that he's got a group of people ready to go and do the same, based on the Paleyfest preview reel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Scyantific posted:

Ra's personally undermining Oliver's reputation in Starling helps convey the fact that he won't take No for an answer is what I got out of that.

Also I'm pretty sure that he's got a group of people ready to go and do the same, based on the Paleyfest preview reel.

We know from the Paleyfest preview that Ra's talks to Captain Lance directly and that Ray gets the impression that The Arrow is a criminal that needs to be stopped, so it's pretty safe to say that Ra's's plan will work, at least to some degree.

I don't think it will work internally, but I also don't think that it needs to.

E: Also, remember that Oliver did kill Vertigo in season 2. It's not entirely unreasonable for Lance to at least suspect that the copycat is actually the Arrow.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 19, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

greatn posted:

Also it will be super dumb if his own team doesn't believe he's innocent.

Ollie killed dozens of people less than 2 years ago. His most recent kill was to eliminate someone who threatened a friend. He also fought Murmur's guys twice and came away 1-1 (they successfully stole the diamonds they were after) after they went after people that Arrow likes. The idea that he might try to make it 2-1 and avenge the cops or something isn't insane.

But yeah, it'd be dumb if the team fell for it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
With the amount of copycat Arrows and copycat vigilantes that the city has seen -- are we nearing double digits at this point? -- I'm actually gonna say it'll be dumb if Lance falls for it as well. Obviously it would be because of his current emo feels clouding his judgment, and it would still be dumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm pretty sure that, unlike the previous copycats, Ra's has the intelligence and resources to plant evidence to tie the murders directly to Oliver.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SavTargaryen posted:

It's really goddamn uncanny but on the other hand definitely not a -bad- choice for her.

She looks god drat amazing, probably the best midriff on TV(I am not really an aficionado on midriffs however), so I certainly can't besmirch wardrobe for their choice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

Obviously it would be because of his current emo feels clouding his judgment, and it would still be dumb.

Why would it be? We have seen him do this throughout the series, so its nothing new. He hated Ollie and by extension Arrow the entire first season due to the death of Sarah, and now he has the added benefit of him lying to him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BrianWilly posted:

With the amount of copycat Arrows and copycat vigilantes that the city has seen -- are we nearing double digits at this point? -- I'm actually gonna say it'll be dumb if Lance falls for it as well. Obviously it would be because of his current emo feels clouding his judgment, and it would still be dumb.

There have been a lot of archers, but I don't think there have been all that many actual copycats. I know they treated Merlyn like one initially, and obviously there's Ra's now, but beyond that I don't believe there have been any?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

enraged_camel posted:

I'm pretty sure that, unlike the previous copycats, Ra's has the intelligence and resources to plant evidence to tie the murders directly to Oliver.

Ra's also has a very different end goal than the previous copycats. He's not just trying to use the Arrow's name for his own good. He's specifically trying to destroy both the Arrow and Oliver, in order to punish Oliver and give him no choice but to accept his offer. It's a good bet that he'll have something more elaborate planned than just killing some criminals while dressed as the Arrow.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

howe_sam posted:

Isn't it kinda obvious that Ollie should just tell him "Fine, I'll become the heir if you can prove your honor to me - show me that you're on the level, and that the league really can implement a no-killing rule. If they can do that for (x) years I'll believe you and become the new head." Ra's doesn't want him to become the new boss immediately anyway.

And to prove that the League is really not killing he can just make as many additional clauses as he loving wants. "Every ninja needs a bodycam & GPS at all times, I need a full roster, I need a list of every mission, I want my own outside team to come in from ARGUS and monitor them, etc etc". gently caress, if he wants to, he can just liquefy the entire group and bring on new employees, he's the goddamn boss.

If the deal is legitimate, and Oliver is really going to be allowed to institute whatever policy in whatever way he wants, then it shouldn't be a problem for him to make any number of demands or stipulations, no matter how exacting, right? If Ra's says "no, I won't do that" then it's proof he was loving full of poo poo all along.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 19, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Isn't it kinda obvious that Ollie should just tell him "Fine, I'll become the heir if you can prove your honor to me - show me that you're on the level, and that the league really can implement a no-killing rule. If they can do that for (x) years I'll believe you and become the new head." Ra's doesn't want him to become the new boss immediately anyway.

And to prove that the League is really not killing he can just make as many additional clauses as he loving wants. "Every ninja needs a bodycam & GPS at all times, I need a full roster, I need a list of every mission, I want my own outside team to come in from ARGUS and monitor them, etc etc". gently caress, if he wants to, he can just liquefy the entire group and bring on new employees, he's the goddamn boss.

If the deal is legitimate, and Oliver is really going to be allowed to institute whatever policy in whatever way he wants, then it shouldn't be a problem for him to make any number of demands or stipulations, no matter how exacting, right? If Ra's says "no, I won't do that" then it's proof he was loving full of poo poo all along.

I'm sorry, the thought of Ra's al Ghul "proving" anything to a B-level street vigilante just makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

enraged_camel posted:

I'm sorry, the thought of Ra's al Ghul "proving" anything to a B-level street vigilante just makes me laugh.

Absolutely, I'm sure he wouldn't. And in that case, it makes it that much easier to make the decision.

(he found another way to make the decision but I think my method's better)

• Locked thread