Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, in my Destroyers and Cruisers, I've literally been hit by friendly torps more than enemy torpedoes. I'm quite good at dodging torpedo planes and planning my dodges ahead against destroyers/cruisers. But I never look behind me to check for torpedoes, because for some reason I think my allies aren't idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's great when you're maneuvering in a BB or a fat cruiser and wind up turning right into some friendly torpedoes and then the guy who launched them gets really mad about it.

It takes like an entire minute for me to turn 90 degrees, my skyscraper can't decide to stop a turn at the drop of a hat just because some idiot on my team decided to launch torpedoes at a target 5KM out of his range directly in the path I literally cannot deviate from because I have like a 10 KM turning circle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I stopped getting mad about being hit by friendly torps after the fifth or sixth game. It's like getting angry about the sunrise. There's nothing you can do to stop it, and it's going to happen every day.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Historically accurate 10/10 Wargaming research team

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I stopped getting mad about being hit by friendly torps after the fifth or sixth game. It's like getting angry about the sunrise. There's nothing you can do to stop it, and it's going to happen every day.

Friendly torpedoes are a force of nature, unpredictable and unavoidable, it's true.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't ever been hit by friendly torps, even when I'm doing daring attacks from 1km away.

BB tricks, shoot cruisers first. You're not going to one-shot a Fuso no matter how hard you try, but you can definitely blow up Clevelands and Omahas and clear up the lanes for DDs to make suicide runs. If you have competent DDs, they'll even survive!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Prav posted:

Oh and while I'm thinking about user interface, I really wish I had a torpedo range circle in addition to the gun range one. And a surface detection range circle. And an air detection range circle. And a spotting range circle. Whole lotta circles.

There is a range circle for torps. The dotted circle around your ship on the minimap is for either your guns or your torps. Depending on which is selected.

Since noone talked about it, Wargaming offered a new video showing off the complete US tech tree. Midway will be jumping to tier 10 in place of the essex. The montana will be the tier 10 battleship. Yup, our first t10 paper ship. Though, I'll give credit in that it wasn't some napkin drawing by some random german engineer in a state of delusion like WoT has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQF8Z7mVjY

Edit: actually, it depends on what point of video for the carrier t10. The first tech tree shot has a "coming soon" between the lexington and essex. While later during carrier specific talks, they show the midway at t10 and the essex at t9.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

There is a range circle for torps. The dotted circle around your ship on the minimap is for either your guns or your torps. Depending on which is selected.

Oh hey it does change. That'll be convenient.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
No Yorktown? What is this poo poo? :mad:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Insert name here posted:

A distinct lack of the Alaska too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Its an essex class carrier you turbonerd.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

The Yorktown class is separate from the Essex class, but I believe one of the Essex class was named Yorktown. Confusing poo poo actually.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

santanotreal posted:

The Yorktown class is separate from the Essex class, but I believe one of the Essex class was named Yorktown. Confusing poo poo actually.

Didn't the US have the doctrine of rebuilding any ship that was sunk and give it the same name, therefore you had the original Yorktown class (Yroktown and Enterprise) and when the Yorktown was lost at Midway they named one of the new Essex carriers after her. Bit of a psychological thing vs Japan, "Hey look we can build stuff faster than you can shoot it".

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Hey now the Hornet exists too! But yeah I don't know about doctrine or anything, but they also reused Lexington.

santanotreal posted:

Yeah they reused the name Yorktown for an Essex class after the first one got sunk at Midway. It just seems like a weird omission given how famous the Enterprise was, but maybe they're saving it for another CV tree. Wargaming likes having a million different trees if WoT is any indication.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Elmnt80 posted:

The USS Yorktown (CV-5) was a Yorktown-class carrier that was sunk at Midway. The USS Yorktown (CV-10) was an Essex-class carrier launched less than a year later. This also confused the Japanese.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Apparently if you pop Defensive Fire as a TB/DB group is going in on an attack run, it causes the aircraft to panic and make their Torpedoes or bombs go wild and not end up exactly where they were aimed? Or so I am told, I got a chance to try it out last round as a carrier was going after me and it did seem that the spread of the attack I popped it against was really wide. Not exactly a big sample size but can anyone confirm that's actually a thing?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

The tier 3 and 4 are heavy destroyers. According to wargaming text, they were intended to be lead destroyer. However, unlike the actual destroyers in the game, they lack smokescreen. I have been messing up a few bad players though that haven't catched that my hitch on cycling another volley was because I was launching my torps. I'm on the kuma right now btw. The tier 4. Guns are a wee bit weak compared to my phoenix. I blame that mainly on the kuma using 140s compared to the phoenix having 152s. That said, the torps on the kuma are 7km range (5km on the phoenix) and they actually reload at a pretty decent rate. Nothing sweeter than doing a narrow spread from 6km out (and thus, away from secondaries) to land all 6 torps.

Last couple games, I have sunk a couple of larger tiered battleships because they were so focused on their big guns that they forget to steer till it was too late for the torps. The torps didn't kill them outright though, but chunked enough of their hp that I suddenly had the advantage to finish them with the guns shortly after. Also, I sank a cleveland in the same ship because as he avoided my torps, he ate 3x citadel hits from my guns and sank.

Nice, I see some T6 IJN cruisers doing good work most of the time. Weird there's a tier skip

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Fart Car '97 posted:

Apparently if you pop Defensive Fire as a TB/DB group is going in on an attack run, it causes the aircraft to panic and make their Torpedoes or bombs go wild and not end up exactly where they were aimed? Or so I am told, I got a chance to try it out last round as a carrier was going after me and it did seem that the spread of the attack I popped it against was really wide. Not exactly a big sample size but can anyone confirm that's actually a thing?

That's a thing. While your planes are in range of a cruiser's barrage ability your attack angles get horribly wide for torps and the circle for divebombers also almost triples.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

That's a thing. While your planes are in range of a cruiser's barrage ability your attack angles get horribly wide for torps and the circle for divebombers also almost triples.

It essentially makes carriers even worse. Your divebombs will all miss because of this. Haven't seen its affect on torps yet though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

Since noone talked about it, Wargaming offered a new video showing off the complete US tech tree. Midway will be jumping to tier 10 in place of the essex. The montana will be the tier 10 battleship. Yup, our first t10 paper ship. Though, I'll give credit in that it wasn't some napkin drawing by some random german engineer in a state of delusion like WoT has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQF8Z7mVjY

Edit: actually, it depends on what point of video for the carrier t10. The first tech tree shot has a "coming soon" between the lexington and essex. While later during carrier specific talks, they show the midway at t10 and the essex at t9.

Nice to see a video, hopefully my favorite battleboats will be here soon. Hope we get the Yorktowns soon, the original Yorktown is pretty much my favorite ship.

Midways will be interesting. Kind of wonder what they're going to pull to match them. Maltas would probably work, and the follow on Taiho idea might as well, but I'm less sure there.

In general though, paper ships are seriously well thought out, because there's estimates for a bunch of configurations that get made when they decide on what exactly a ship is going to be.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

santanotreal posted:

It essentially makes carriers even worse. Your divebombs will all miss because of this. Haven't seen its affect on torps yet though.

A carrier just learned the hard way this is a thing

Fuso, Cleavland, Phoenix, Omaha. :unsmigghh:

Killed the carrier while I had about 300 health left as he launched his last TB squadron.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

You don't even need to pop defensive fire. It's any heavy AA will cause the TB to have a huge spread

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

Wargaming likes having a million different trees if WoT is any indication.

The USN has the capacity to create two distinct battleship trees from tier 3, two destroyer trees from tier 2, probably two cruiser trees from tier 2 and two carrier trees from tier 4, such was the volume of different designs constructed or at least proposed. Overwhelmingly more than any of the other nations, for obvious reasons.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Mazz posted:

A distinct lack of the Alaska too.

Is the Alaska going to be on the BB line or CA line?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Delorence Fickle posted:

Is the Alaska going to be on the BB line or CA line?

Pretty sure I've read them saying somewhere the Alaska is in the battleship branch, and at a guess somewhere around tier 7 between the dreadnoughts and the treaty battleships. Ideally it would be in a distinct fast battleship branch headed by the Iowa class at 10. If you fudge out the fastest of the dreadnoughts and lead them into the original Lexington, you can make an entire fast battleship branch that uses only three paper warships and still have a standard battleship branch that has not a single paper ship in it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 19, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

santanotreal posted:

The effect on TB is that it turns the normal straight line path into a cone who outside edge is about 3 or so times as wide as the the normal path. However the cone starts fairly small, so if you drop well its only going to cause you to miss one or two trops.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 19, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure I've read them saying somewhere the Alaska is in the battleship branch, and at a guess somewhere around tier 7 between the dreadnoughts and the treaty battleships. Ideally it would be in a distinct fast battleship branch headed by the Iowa class at 10.

God I hope not. That'd mean filing off all that makes it different and cool. There may be a need for anything fast and battleship like other than the Iowas and Lexes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, my ranger got completely blown to poo poo by a well coordinated air strike from two carriers involving 1 dive bomber and 4 torpedo bombers. It was so beautiful I couldn't be mad at all. I was on fire with dozens of torps coming from all directions at the same time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That's the thing about naval warfare and carriers in particular. The n-squared law is in full effect, things scale in effectiveness exponentially.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

God I hope not. That'd mean filing off all that makes it different and cool. There may be a need for anything fast and battleship like other than the Iowas and Lexes.

As a one of a kind class well after the demise of the battlecruiser, the Alaska was always going to be difficult to fit into a tree. It's too powerful to be a cruiser, not armoured or armed like a battleship, and lacks enough brethren to make a distinct line.

German and French trees will face the same issue with the Deutschland, Scharnhorst and Dunkerque class ships

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

NTRabbit posted:

As a one of a kind class well after the demise of the battlecruiser, the Alaska was always going to be difficult to fit into a tree. It's too powerful to be a cruiser, not armoured or armed like a battleship, and lacks enough brethren to make a distinct line.

German and French trees will face the same issue with the Deutschland, Scharnhorst and Dunkerque class ships

The Japanese also had a super-cruiser planned, as a direct counter to the Alaska even, but they scrapped the idea in favor of other ships (carriers). And assuming the Russian tree is full of crazy paper ships (which it kind of has to be), then they have some Stalinbotes you could put in the same category. There's always the potential they break the CL/CA lines out over time as well, and add some additional features/mechanics as time goes on.

I assume it'll be a thing, just maybe not soon.

I really hope they don't just skip over the Alaska, it's beautiful.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 19, 2015

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
And as an excuse to include two Alaska class ships they can add the Guam as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure I've read them saying somewhere the Alaska is in the battleship branch, and at a guess somewhere around tier 7 between the dreadnoughts and the treaty battleships. Ideally it would be in a distinct fast battleship branch headed by the Iowa class at 10. If you fudge out the fastest of the dreadnoughts and lead them into the original Lexington, you can make an entire fast battleship branch that uses only three paper warships and still have a standard battleship branch that has not a single paper ship in it.

Umm, did you watch the video? Because if you had, you would see the iowa class is already penned for t9 in the upcoming bship line. I mean, they oculd in the future fudge it to 10 like they did with the is-4, but it is penned to be a tier 9 currently.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

BB tricks, shoot cruisers first. You're not going to one-shot a Fuso no matter how hard you try, but you can definitely blow up Clevelands and Omahas and clear up the lanes for DDs to make suicide runs. If you have competent DDs, they'll even survive!

I've one-shotted a Fuso :smugbert:

In my Kongo, down to my last 5k HP, landed a salvo to the forward magazine from close range (3~km). It was awesome.

That was after taking on a Miyogi and a Kongo simultaneously. Battleships are loving OP if you know how to shoot and can keep your armor angled. Also vaporized a DD and a cruiser with single-salvos, for a total of four kills since some DD ended up torpedoing the Miyogi.

It's probably pound-for-pound superior to the Fuso, although I gotta say, the big guns on the Fuso are amazing at long range. I've gotten two one-shot kills at max range on cruisers. That'll teach em not to zig-zag.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

Umm, did you watch the video? Because if you had, you would see the iowa class is already penned for t9 in the upcoming bship line. I mean, they oculd in the future fudge it to 10 like they did with the is-4, but it is penned to be a tier 9 currently.

No I didn't, but I said it was a hope rather than an actual plan. In a world where Wargaming did anything right Iowa and Montana would be the only options for the tier 10s in distinct standard and fast battleship trees. Instead they'll make the Iowa 9 to the Montana 10, miss half of the battleship classes the USN fielded, and then in 3 years time find themselves wanting to add a second branch and having no idea how to do it because they hosed it up in the first place.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

The USN has the capacity to create two distinct battleship trees from tier 3, two destroyer trees from tier 2, probably two cruiser trees from tier 2 and two carrier trees from tier 4, such was the volume of different designs constructed or at least proposed. Overwhelmingly more than any of the other nations, for obvious reasons.

If they spread it out more and had tier 1-4 be almost entirely dedicated to 1895-1906 (with dreadnoughts) they could have even more ships that qualify.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it worth upgrading my torp bombers from Doublas TBD Devastator to Consolidated TBY Sea Wolf on my Ranger? They're faster and more durable but it severely cuts their damage.
code:
Speed:   106 -> 136
Damage: 8500 -> 5900
HP:     1160 -> 1530

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

No I didn't, but I said it was a hope rather than an actual plan. In a world where Wargaming did anything right Iowa and Montana would be the only options for the tier 10s in distinct standard and fast battleship trees. Instead they'll make the Iowa 9 to the Montana 10, miss half of the battleship classes the USN fielded, and then in 3 years time find themselves wanting to add a second branch and having no idea how to do it because they hosed it up in the first place.

This of course presumes that the Iowa hasn't been tested as a tier ten. In a strictly hypothetical scenario where tier nine is the better match and they've already considered options for a follow on ten, they can cleanly split the fast battleships out of the tree.

They tried making coherent self-contained lines before. That was in warplanes. It was unpopular. Nobody liked having having places that could be cool historical planes go to paper designs.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 19, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Poil posted:

Is it worth upgrading my torp bombers from Doublas TBD Devastator to Consolidated TBY Sea Wolf on my Ranger? They're faster and more durable but it severely cuts their damage.
code:
Speed:   106 -> 136
Damage: 8500 -> 5900
HP:     1160 -> 1530

The TBDs get chewed up bad by T6 AA fire, I'd hate to see what would happen if you got thrown into a T8 game with them. Anything that improves speed and HP is probably worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Does the Mogami have its original configuration of 15 6-inchers in this game?