Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Butcher really wanted a vampire court who was more morally ambiguous but could still be evil. He went from there to succubii/incubii and then tried to write his way around having 'trustworthy' ones (Thomas), neutral ones (Lara) and redeemable ones (Inari).

He just did not really seem to take the mind-mojo thing as seriously as it was and it was clear he tried to find ways around that. (Making Thomas have an utterly 'harmless' and sort of setting-breaking way of feeding and then going back on that to make him full Rapepire again but it's okay because he has magical threesomes.) I get the feeling he'd probably not do Thomas the same way again if he got the chance but that may just be me reading too much into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
In fiction like in reality, sometimes people just aren't gay.

Though because of the nature of white court vampires they might not have "human" sexuality at all, or maybe they're all bi, but the people they're feeding on aren't. I would expect it to take a lot more juice to force someone to like someone that's not of their normal preference. Other than attempts on Harry, we've only seen, what 5-7 feedings or attempted feedings? Maybe all but one of the victims just so happened to be strait.

On the other hand it would really suck for a white court vampire if they were strait or gay instead of bi. What if they were starving but their only available option was the gender they didn't like?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

What really boggles my mind is why the White Court is a thing in the DF universe to begin with. The whole thing in this world is free will and what turns someone into a monster--when is someone truly irredeemable? I think we're gonna find out a lot more grey areas as the story goes on. Up until now, the Reds and Blacks were seen as completely irredeemable, replaced by monsters. But that doesn't really jive with the undertones of redemption and choices the rest of the series portrays.

ImpAtom posted:

I think Butcher really wanted a vampire court who was more morally ambiguous but could still be evil. He went from there to succubii/incubii and then tried to write his way around having 'trustworthy' ones (Thomas), neutral ones (Lara) and redeemable ones (Inari).

Like Tolkein and the Orcs, I suppose.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mars4523 posted:

In contrast, I'm not really caring for the book after that which is apparently going to be from the POV of Bob's baby vamp doppelgänger (and Mhari, who's still kind of flat but at least not just Bob's bitch exgirlfriend anymore, wouldn't work at all.)

Mhari is in this next one, not 7. 7 is Pete and Alex

As to Mo being so powerful, that's why he says this one is a superhero book.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Mhari is in this next one, not 7. 7 is Pete and Alex

As to Mo being so powerful, that's why he says this one is a superhero book.
Yeah, I was talking about the one after the upcoming one, which would be 7.

It also looks like Mo's use of her demon violin is going to be limited.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've been working my way through the Kindle editions of the Rivers of London series (I really like Peter, as bumbling as he is) and I wonder why they changed Lesley's name to Leslie in the first two books but stopped doing it in book 3, which I just started. It seems weirdly inconsistent.

I think the thing I like most is how every chapter is almost a little history lesson. You can tell the author knows and loves the hell out of London (and Jazz) and it's a fun perspective lens to read through.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mistaya posted:

I've been working my way through the Kindle editions of the Rivers of London series (I really like Peter, as bumbling as he is) and I wonder why they changed Lesley's name to Leslie in the first two books but stopped doing it in book 3, which I just started. It seems weirdly inconsistent.

I think the thing I like most is how every chapter is almost a little history lesson. You can tell the author knows and loves the hell out of London (and Jazz) and it's a fun perspective lens to read through.

He explains it somewhere on his blog, but basically it was a case of the American publishers changing things around.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's a legitimate localization issue. As an American, when I see Lesley as opposed to Leslie I immediately think it's the male version of the name.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

When I see a guy named Lesley I think "dude you have a girl's name."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Read the first Felix Castor book. It was okay, but I'm a little hesitant to keep going because the end was set up to have Castor supposedly teaching a succubus that he just spent the majority of the novel cowering in fear from (and turning loose on the small time villains in the story, and not just any old succubus, but apparently some Named uber-succubus that would be on par with the Morrigan from the Iron Druid books) how to live and work among mortals rather than going back to the Hell it was summoned from.

Can anyone else that read it tell me if it is as horrible as I think it is?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

Read the first Felix Castor book. It was okay, but I'm a little hesitant to keep going because the end was set up to have Castor supposedly teaching a succubus that he just spent the majority of the novel cowering in fear from (and turning loose on the small time villains in the story, and not just any old succubus, but apparently some Named uber-succubus that would be on par with the Morrigan from the Iron Druid books) how to live and work among mortals rather than going back to the Hell it was summoned from.

It's been a minute since I finished that series, but I don't remember it being remotely awful. Juliet becomes a slightly interesting character, capable of helping him out but not always willingly and she's not the ultimate "evil stomper" either. She ends up hooking up with a religious librarian if I remember correctly and ultimately her storyline is not a terrible thing at all. I enjoyed those books and thought he tied everything up to that series fairly neatly.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Wade Wilson posted:

She stays a wildcard throughout. Her and Nicky are the best chararacters. If you mean a romance, no, any time he tries to start something with her, she shuts him down hard and his anguish is hilarious.

Keep reading, the 2nd book is pretty nuts and I think it's the best of the series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just read about some Catholic woman breaking down in front of Felix in tears because Juliet was making her think she was a lesbian.

Really?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

Just read about some Catholic woman breaking down in front of Felix in tears because Juliet was making her think she was a lesbian.

Really?

She gets over it.

Does that entire plotline irritate you because of clichés, or is it that you just think it's unimaginative?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

hatelull posted:

She gets over it.

Does that entire plotline irritate you because of clichés, or is it that you just think it's unimaginative?

The summary of that plotline sounds kind of silly

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I don't recall Juliet and the relationship she has with the Catholic librarian to take up a huge amount of plot, and it's sort of ongoing for several books. It didn't bother me that much because Carey keeps everything focused on Castor. There's not a point where he is removed from the narrative and it focuses on someone else, so it's really just updates or random conversations or interactions throughout the books where Castor has to either go talk to Juliet, or work with Juliet and she whine/complains/comments on relationships with humans. Not going to defend it, but ultimately it has little bearing on the underlying story throughout that series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hatelull posted:

She gets over it.

A little of both.

Also I have a hard time believing a British person would ever show that much emotion to an utter stranger.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I've been reading the Wearing the Cape series by Marion G. Harmon and loving it. Especially Artemis/Jacky's novella set in New Orleans, it's the sexy vampire urban fantasy story I never knew I wanted (mostly because she utterly despises the vampire subculture).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Felix Castor series is pretty drat good, gonna bitch about the Iron Druid series for the rest of my life though. :barf:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For all you lazy bastards that need someone to read your stories to you, but whined about the guy that read it the first time around.

:v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hah, nice.

I just got and read the "War Cry" Dresden Files graphic novel. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. Middle tier.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I hope James Marsters does his best impersonation of the first narrator to gently caress with the people that buy this.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So torn.... I'll rebuy audiobooks when they do an unabridged version from a previously abridged version, but just to have Marsters like all my other Dresden audiobooks...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I had to stop listening to the audiobook and go read a friends physical copy. He was a perfectly decent audiobook narrator, but everybody sounded wrong.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm halfway through the Kate Daniels series and it's a lot of fun. Very much not chick-lit and Kate herself is pretty awesome, although the covers kind of suck. They should grab Christian McGrath, who does October Daye, Dresden Files, and a few other UF series.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
James Marsters is in the recording studio doing a new version of Ghost Story for those of you who want it

You could say the audio book has been *puts on sunglasses* re-Maestered

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Fried Chicken posted:

James Marsters ... the audio book has been *puts on sunglasses* re-Marstered

Fixed that for you. :sigh:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I bought the Daniel Faust book on recommendation from this thread, and I was not disappointed. Really good read and a fun, slightly tarnished protagonist. Sadly, I read th whole series in the matter of a week, so again a series I have to wait for.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Iacen posted:

I bought the Daniel Faust book on recommendation from this thread, and I was not disappointed. Really good read and a fun, slightly tarnished protagonist. Sadly, I read th whole series in the matter of a week, so again a series I have to wait for.

Has there been a fifth book released yet? I remember that they're being released in a relatively short time from each other.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

James Marsters is in the recording studio doing a new version of Ghost Story for those of you who want it

You could say the audio book has been *puts on sunglasses* re-Maestered

Way to fumble the ball at the one yard line.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

gonna bitch about the Iron Druid series for the rest of my life though. :barf:

I haven't really read the series, can you elaborate?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

LolitaSama posted:

Everything that sucks about the Dresden Files cranked up to 11, and none of the good stuff to compensate.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

boneration posted:

Everything that sucks about the Dresden Files cranked up to 11, and none of the good stuff to compensate.

To be entirely fair, the first couple of books are entertaining, in much the same way as the first couple of Dresden books.

It's just that the serious never grows beyond that.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So Peter Grant from the Rivers of London Series is bi-racial and it's an aspect that I really appreciate, especially since it's an active part of his character and his experiences factor into his investigations in various ways. I'm trying to remember which part of Africa his mum's side is from, though, does anybody remember?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

So Peter Grant from the Rivers of London Series is bi-racial and it's an aspect that I really appreciate, especially since it's an active part of his character and his experiences factor into his investigations in various ways. I'm trying to remember which part of Africa his mum's side is from, though, does anybody remember?

Sierra Leone, western Africa.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LolitaSama posted:

Imagine Fool Moon, but worse, and repeated over and over.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Mr.48 posted:

Sierra Leone, western Africa.
Thanks. There's also something bugging me about the whole conceit of the series as well. If each river in London has an associated diety, wouldn't their health be dependant on their respective river? Therefore, Mama Thames, Father Thames, Lady Ty, et all shouldn't have so much influence but therefore be rather sickly and diseased to do decades upon decades of human polution and negligence, right? I just don't find it very feasable that any God or Goddess of nature would hold any sort of proper influence or power in any post-industrial nation nowadays. Especially in London, the town where the Industrial Revolution first took place.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Benny the Snake posted:

If each river in London has an associated diety, wouldn't their health be dependant on their respective river?
Apparently not! So that's a bullet dodged, then.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Thanks. There's also something bugging me about the whole conceit of the series as well. If each river in London has an associated diety, wouldn't their health be dependant on their respective river? Therefore, Mama Thames, Father Thames, Lady Ty, et all shouldn't have so much influence but therefore be rather sickly and diseased to do decades upon decades of human polution and negligence, right? I just don't find it very feasable that any God or Goddess of nature would hold any sort of proper influence or power in any post-industrial nation nowadays. Especially in London, the town where the Industrial Revolution first took place.

Not necessarily. If their power is based off the importance and influence of their river rather than the purity of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah they talk about a couple of rivers dying back in the industrial revolution from being rerouted into sewers.