Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

That's the thing, some are acting as if Jeremy was walking around the office terrorizing people during the day. Sounds more like this was an after hours drinking party that got out of hand ended in a fracas. I mean they were in Newcastle, one can imagine many brown ales were probably downed. Is there any other reason to be in Newcastle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There's footbal-

Well, no, there's really nothing but brown.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Aaahh, put 'er there!"
"It was racing!"
"You little scamp"
"I'll get you next time"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's also likely that Clarkson and the producer already made amends. The BBC will carry on their investigation regardless.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I never thought I'd see the day when there would be scuffles in automotive television. I think I'll stick to NASCAR and reality T.V. from now on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's also likely that Clarkson and the producer already made amends. The BBC will carry on their investigation regardless.

Even so, Tymon has been the target of death threats, doxxing and general hatred ever since this whole story broke. That doesn't just go away.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
The problem here is that there is no definitive version of events that lets us know exactly how serious this is.

From what I have heard, the reason Clarkson himself reported it is because half the staff felt really uncomfortable with events and were about to report it themselves. I really hope that isn't the case and that they can make amends and move on but until we know what actually happened then its pretty difficult to guess what could or should happen with the show. If everyone involved has lawyered up and whatnot, it seems unlikely that they have shook hands and made amends already. One can hope though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This talk about the Guardian reminds me of a rather good show that touched on this very subject.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

Still true after all these years

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Seriously, it can't be that hard to find a replacement for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Nice to see May and Hammond taking a stand. Now this is no longer about whether BBC wants to keep Clarkson, but whether they want to keep their most popular show at all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Even so, Tymon has been the target of death threats, doxxing and general hatred ever since this whole story broke. That doesn't just go away.
I still utterly fail to comprehend what kind of thought process, if any at all, makes people think that this kind of nonsense is a good idea. If nothing else, how on earth can you think it will help the person/group you have chosen to side with?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

I still utterly fail to comprehend what kind of thought process, if any at all, makes people think that this kind of nonsense is a good idea. If nothing else, how on earth can you think it will help the person/group you have chosen to side with?

It's not about helping, it's a pathetic attemt at revenge.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

InitialDave posted:

People are really dumb, reactionary, and don't think about consequences.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

This talk about the Guardian reminds me of a rather good show that touched on this very subject.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

Still true after all these years

Such a gem this. Hacker is usually a goof, but in this case he insists on his priority and shows where his wisdom is at, knowing the press. Which of course the unelected, arrogant and actually quite powerful civil servant thinks he does, but really does not. What an amazing piece of comedy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2015/mar/17/benedict-cumberbatchs-pulled-punches-with-jeremy-clarkson

We've discovered where Clarkson got his training:

quote:

While the world awaits to find out what really happened in that late-night “fracas” between Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon, Monkey is reminded of Benedict Cumberbatch’s appearance on the BBC2 show when he taught Clarkson … how to punch.

Is the Guardian writing about anything else anymore?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Sir, sir, there was a bombing in--
If the next words out of your mouth aren't "The Top Gear Studios" or "Jeremy Clarkson's House", then I don't want to hear it!

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
If you think it's bad now, wait until next week when he a) returns to the BBC with nary a word said or b) walks into the arms of a rival broadcaster who'll let him say whatever he wants because ad revenues trump everything.

The Guardian is going to go full Tumblr and its going to be amazing.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Yeah, if I grab dinner with my boss and he has a few too many drinks it's totally ok for him to punch me in the face....

:eyeroll:

If the reverse happened the producer would absolutely have been fired as a result, so I don't understand why people are acting as though this should just be no big deal and the media is making a big deal out of it.

Well, it seems clear that the media is making a big deal about it, but I don't feel it's unjustified. I don't see the rationale where it's OK for JC to just punch someone because 'aw shucks he had a few too many beers'. I mean like, OK so he has no responsibility for his actions after that?

I love the show, and I'll be sad to see it go, but I sorta feel like this is over the line and maybe it's time for a new cast, ala Doctor Who. Get a new triumvirate in, and strike out in a new direction.

You can be irreverent without punching people.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
JC = Jesus Christ? :tinfoil:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tijag posted:

Yeah, if I grab dinner with my boss and he has a few too many drinks it's totally ok for him to punch me in the face....

If you'd grabbed the dinner, he wouldn't be punching you!

It's still seeming about as clear as mud what actually happened, though, and if he did smack him, why is this an internal BBC matter rather than involving the Police? For me, it's not so much "it's ok to hit people" as it is "I'm very suspicious of what kind of game is being played here". If the reality is a tired, hungry Clarkson getting to the point of just threatening to hit the guy, then I'm in the "meh" camp. I've pissed off people at work to that stage more than a couple of times, and the one time it's got physical, well, I deserved it.

tijag posted:

maybe it's time for a new cast, ala Doctor Who.
If that's the parallel, just let the show die.

Jealous Cow posted:

JC = Jesus Christ? :tinfoil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asUyK6JWt9U

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The other guy should have just knocked him out. Why can't you have a good old honest fight anymore? Smh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

The other guy should have just knocked him out. Why can't you have a good old honest fight anymore? Smh.

You're damned right. Sometimes talking only goes so far.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Top Gear returns! Mid season death match special! Next episode, the new presenters are chosen via a series of challenges!

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

tijag posted:

If the reverse happened the producer would absolutely have been fired as a result, so I don't understand why people are acting as though this should just be no big deal and the media is making a big deal out of it.

Well, it seems clear that the media is making a big deal about it, but I don't feel it's unjustified. I don't see the rationale where it's OK for JC to just punch someone because 'aw shucks he had a few too many beers'. I mean like, OK so he has no responsibility for his actions after that?

I love the show, and I'll be sad to see it go, but I sorta feel like this is over the line and maybe it's time for a new cast, ala Doctor Who. Get a new triumvirate in, and strike out in a new direction.

Who said it was okay? I think the point being made is that there is a huge gap between a violent boss at some company meeting throwing the table over because he didn't get his mocha latte and a bunch of blokes after work piss drunk. In the latter it's usually acceptable that the other guy hits him back or everybody steps in to break it up and they walk it off and apologize the next day. Is it right it happened? No. Is it worth someone getting fired for? Well I would say there's plenty of blue collar and military types that would disagree.

But I think what it really boils down to is that none of us were there and don't know what the hell happened except a one second account of an event. Did oisin call JC's mother a whore? Or was he simply walking by as JC was on a drunken rampage murdering any passerby he saw? We have no idea.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Top Gear returns! Mid season death match special! Next episode, the new presenters are chosen via a series of challenges!

Basically Battle Royale, but without the subtitles.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

tijag posted:

I don't like to condemn someone on the very limited facts available so far, so I can wait for the internal inquiry to finish and an official statement is released (assuming it ever is). The other problem is that even though it sounds like Jeremy did something (whatever it was) that deserves disciplinary action, it isn't that easy to just fire him. While most people can be replaced, Top Gear is just an airplane hanger with some cars in it without the hosts. If they fire Jeremy outright, they'd might as well fire everyone else that works on the show, including the allegedly punched producer.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
If some harsh words and a badly-thrown punch at a post-work piss-up was grounds for termination half of Britain would be unemployed.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I thought it was knife crime island.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tijag posted:

I thought it was knife crime island.
Do you know how hard it is to get a gun here?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

British cop shows are hilarious because they always end up finding like, a steak knife, and carefully hold it up by very end of the handle with 2 fingers like it's covered in blood, and talk about it like it's a 2 foot long machete.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mooseykins posted:

Basically Battle Royale, but without the subtitles.

Probably gonna still need subtitles for us American English speakers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

British cop shows are hilarious because they always end up finding like, a steak knife, and carefully hold it up by very end of the handle with 2 fingers like it's covered in blood, and talk about it like it's a 2 foot long machete.
In fairness, my brother has a photo somewhere with the grenade launcher he found in a bloke's kitchen. And at one point, some old dear's dead husband who had a weapons stash in the loft. Juxtaposed with cautioning someone for theft of a garden gnome.

Apparently Hot Fuzz is pretty much a documentary.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

If some harsh words and a badly-thrown punch at a post-work piss-up was grounds for termination half of Britain would be unemployed.

I thought half of britain was unemployed

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Koirhor posted:

I thought half of britain was unemployed
It's the half that isn't anywhere near where any journalists or politicians live, so they don't give a poo poo.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I remember reading auspol and someone said that we really need a paper like the guardian.

Ha.

Dougie McdDouger
Nov 19, 2014

I do like muffins , but I tango all night long.
As much as I enjoy Top gear, I can't see it coming back to what it was pre-pissing match. Wonder where they'd go next if BBC shut them down completely?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

All the presenters have plenty of other gigs to keep themselves occupied with. If the show folds I do hope May makes another drinking show with Oz Clarke.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I remember reading auspol and someone said that we really need a paper like the guardian.

Ha.

Ummmm.... yes we most certainly do. The papers we have are owned by Murdoch and believe me, The Guardian at it's worst is still kms ahead of the utter swill aka News Corp.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I just watched the first episode of the French Top Gear. It wasn't that bad, I'll give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cat Terrist posted:

Ummmm.... yes we most certainly do. The papers we have are owned by Murdoch and believe me, The Guardian at it's worst is still kms ahead of the utter swill aka News Corp.

You don't replace poo poo with poop.