Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah by taking about the well understood and very common phenomenon of bystander effect I'm not trying to suggest that people shouldn't try to help each other, just offering an explanation as to why it happens less often than we might like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Avshalom posted:

It feels unfair to put the onus for stopping assaults on ordinary guys, but the police can't be everywhere (talking about non-corrupt non-evil police of course) and there's not really anybody else to take responsibility for it. Someone has to do it. As a white person I feel obligated to stand up to racist abusers on behalf of non-white people, and unfortunately non-abusive men sometimes have to stand up to abusive men on behalf of women (or other men, or children, or whoever it is that they're abusing), for the simple reason that they're less likely to kill us than whoever it is that they're abusing.

Also I'd like to laud Fruity as a person who actively battles racism and misogyny on late-night public transport, probably the most terrifying venue outside of a literal neo-Nazi convention.

To be honest, I've always seen police in these situations to be more reactionary in that by the time they've arrived, it's all over. Also someone has to call them first.

Mith's brother (of whom I'm of the opinion is a legend) actually tried to break up a fight between 4 white guys who were beating on an Indian man. He got the crap beat out of him, but he's proud of what he did and would do it again.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
my brother-in-law (classified as quadriplegic after a bull-riding accident, although he's partially recovered) once interrupted a domestic assault outside his house by rolling down the driveway, parking his chair on the dudes foot and punching him when he bent down.

also a bloody legend.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Wrong thread, ignore.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Lol those dudes own.

Avshalom posted:

(Fruity is so cool)
MODS

Last time it happened I was wearing a shirt with this on it so I was basically honour-bound to say something :blush:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Dante18907 posted:

Permanent full time AFAIK. Contract might say otherwise.
I work for the local branch of Office National, in the service department which holds the contracts for the work within my area for Fujitsu, RSS, Diebold, Glory Global/Talaris and ITS as well as some smaller ones I can't remember right now.
I primarily do Fujitsu and RSS work but on occasion will do Glory Global/Talaris and VERY rarely Diebold/ITS.
I work 8:30-5:00 Mon-Fri, 38 hrs/week.
Super is paid by my employer but I have no idea the workings of it, or if it's the amount I should be getting. From my recollection it is being paid into the LG Super account I had when I was working for the local council.

You need to get yourself squared away.
1) Get your contract
2) Get your payslips, minimum three months worth, I'm a big fan of overkill though so six months if you can.
3) Ring your super and get your details like account number and find out if there have been any employer contributions. Take a note of the person you speak to's name and get their contact number.
4) Check that your employer has the correct super details, that they have made deposits. You might need to get them to cross check with the super fund. I've had work say yup we've paid, super saying nup got nothing and they'd hosed up the coding in their internal payment system.

Bottom line is you need to get your pay paperwork, super paperwork and talk to ACTU, fairwork and your super

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Geez murodese, I was gonna let you know that I'm probably going to be in Perth at the end of October for work, but after those mad burns Anidav got in on you I don't know if I want to be seen with you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm probably going to be in Perth at the end of October

You poor bastard

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
People just living day to day wondering where their next flat screen TV is coming from...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-20/radio-rentals-reaps-90-million-in-centrelink-payments/6333690

quote:

Centrelink payments made up almost half of white goods leasing market leader Radio Rentals' revenue last year, the ABC can reveal

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Two peanuts walked into a bar. One of them was assaulted

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

:lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...319-1m3ha9.html

quote:

"How good are you at fixing things?" Stefanovic asked. "What I've got prepared here for you is to put this tyre back on Sylvia's car. All you need to do is put the tyre on".

Mr Pyne quickly threw off his jacket and got to work on an assignment that can challenge any mere motoring mortal.

"Where are the, ah...hang on. Where are the holes? Mr Pyne asked.

"It isn't high enough you loser. It's was a set up, look it is a set up, it was far too low! What about Anthony, what's he doing? Absolutely f-all! Where are the nuts! You know I have to go to the airport with these filthy hands now."

"Not the first time he's said that," Mr Albanese replied.

After a few more moments Mr Pyne largely completed the job.

"The end of the week and he did fix something," Stefanovic said.

Mr Pyne has pledged to reintroduce higher education reforms to the Senate after they were defeated in the Senate on Tuesday for the second time in three months.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Karl Stefanovic does something entertaining, pigs take to skies

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
After going to a dark place, I'm glad I could count on the latest Pyne fuckery to resume normal thread service
:unsmith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

Karl Stefanovic does something entertaining, pigs take to skies

karl stefanovic is more entertaining and has better political views than anyone involved in the australian democrats, hth

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I listen to loud-ish music and daydream/read news articles and poo poo on my phone a lot of the time when I'm out and about but I'm pretty sure a literal assault/rape taking place metres away would get my attention because I'm not a goony gently caress that actively tries to avoid human contact

But what if it doesn't get your attention? Do you think all rapes / assaults are a flurry of activity and yelling? I didn't say anything about what I think I might do (though you never know until the situation is on you). So if your observation was directed at my comment, you can pull your head in.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Avshalom posted:

(Fruity is so cool)

:agreed:

I think fostering a culture of intervention when people are harassing each other in public is a good thing.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://instagram.com/tonyabbotteats/

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

I can't recall which monster this reminds me of but the pose is eerie.

#tonyabbotteatsbabies

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 19, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:gonk: Please, no more of this visceral body horror.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

markgreyam posted:

I can't recall which monster this reminds me of but the pose is eerie.

?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Guess which former PM just died?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Robodog posted:

Why bother when it's not going to be john howard :sigh:

euler
Oct 14, 2008

e: ^ Seriously, what a let down.

Graic Gabtar posted:

People just living day to day wondering where their next flat screen TV is coming from...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-20/radio-rentals-reaps-90-million-in-centrelink-payments/6333690

If they didn't want to be raped ripped off they shouldn't have been dressed like that affected by advertising

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Robodog posted:

Yeah, I heard.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
ASRC reporting that Fraser died overnight.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Robodog posted:

Vale Holt

Hypnotic. Apparently the guy on the left agrees with me.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 20, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Malcolm Fraser died of shame.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

So does this take the number of Liberals with good opinions about asylum seekers down to zero?

Brown Paper Bag fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 20, 2015

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Brown Paper Bag posted:

So does this the number of Liberals with good opinions about asylum seekers down to zero?

Technically it's been that way since 2009 when Fraser resigned

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

So does this take the number of Liberals with good opinions about asylum seekers down to zero?

Hewson has been pretty critical of it.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I, Butthole posted:

ASRC reporting that Fraser died overnight.
They sucked the last of his usefulness out of him?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The ASRC are notoriously bloody minded like that. They probably killed him.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

starkebn posted:

But what if it doesn't get your attention? Do you think all rapes / assaults are a flurry of activity and yelling? I didn't say anything about what I think I might do (though you never know until the situation is on you). So if your observation was directed at my comment, you can pull your head in.

I don't think someone would make boastful statements on the internet about how they would act in hypothetical real life situations mate

Endman
May 18, 2010

cpaf posted:

I don't think someone would make boastful statements on the internet about how they would act in hypothetical real life situations mate

:laffo:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
irl I'm a dog and I bark at bad people

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

auzdark posted:

You guys have a good argument against 'the government should be treated like a business'? I have a friend who voted liberal in the QLD election because they got scared about the debt thing.
Simple arguments are often the best. Businesses only do things that run at a profit. Government is about regulating society. Government can't adjust society to remove loss making sectors without implementing some usually undesirable measures. To use a current example: Data retention. The government has decided it needs to do this to regulate internet users. The 'business' model costs money and has no revenue stream. No business would do this.

open24hours posted:

Malcolm Fraser died of shame.
Another grave to dance on :dance:

Man was a conservative poo poo stain when it mattered (while he was in charge of the country). Having a late run to try and get recognition as a human being might get you some brownie points but it doesn't undo the harm you did when you held the reigns. gently caress Big Mal.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-20/nigel-scullion-defends-government-plan-to-buy-indigenous-jobs/6333684

quote:

Nigel Scullion defends Government plan to 'buy' Indigenous jobs with $10,000 financial sweeteners By political reporter Anna Henderson Updated about an hour ago

Businesses that employ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff will be provided with financial sweeteners of up to $10,000 by the Federal Government. Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion said the Government wants to achieve a 2020 target of creating jobs for 20,000 Indigenous Australians. He acknowledged some might see it as "buying" jobs, but maintained it would be much cheaper than paying unemployment benefits to people who were not working. "This isn't a cost, this is an investment," he told the ABC.

The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) data on Indigenous jobs has measured the unemployment rate at almost 21 per cent, more than three times higher than the national average. It also found just under half of Indigenous Australians between the ages of 15 and 64 are in work. Senator Scullion said most, but not all, of the jobs that would be created would be full-time positions.

He said the $10,000 payments were needed to help employers cover the additional costs associated with hiring and keeping Indigenous staff, "many of whom are disadvantaged job seekers". He said the Government was working with the nation's biggest companies and businesses with a proven track record of employing large numbers of Indigenous workers to achieve the targets. Similar programs have been criticised in the past for providing training without leading to a long-term job, but the Government insists this proposal is different and the 26-week training period sets workers up for a long-term future. "This is not training for training's sake," Senator Scullion said. "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders tell me that they can wallpaper their lounge room with certificates, but there's no jobs."

If all prospective workers were eligible for the full incentive, it would cost the budget $200 million, but it is not expected that the maximum amount will be paid every time. The money will come out of the existing Indigenous Affairs budget and through funds allocated for the Indigenous Employment Program (IEP). Earlier this week the Government announced a public sector proposal to increase the number of Indigenous staff working in the public service and to provide more opportunities for Indigenous companies to benefit from Commonwealth tenders.
This is a winner because it saves money! Actual Minister for Indigenous Affairs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Died in better circumstances than poor old John Kerr. Goodnight sweet prince.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-20/nigel-scullion-defends-government-plan-to-buy-indigenous-jobs/6333684
This is a winner because it saves money! Actual Minister for Indigenous Affairs.

If companies aren't hiring indigenous staff despite them being overqualified enough to "wallpaper their lounge room with certificates" then surely they should be investigated for discrimination rather than handed $10,000 tax payer dollars that would be better spent on early childhood education, health services or literally anything else for indigenous communities.

Taking money out of other indigenous services to pay companies to not be racist is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

This is just like the "direct action" climate policy.

Stop paying companies not to do things and start legislating for gently caress's sake. You're the government, act like it.

• Locked thread