Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My unwanted 2 cents...

Game of Thrones is absurdly and pathetically gratuitous. Not just in sex or in the bigger matter of violence but in the even greater general brutality, cruelty, and "harsh lessons." There's some line you can cross where doing the "unexpected" or "unwanted" thing so often in the effort to shock in itself becomes so predictable that it becomes kind of tedious and juvenile. I'm not impressed when GoT goes certain places or subverts expectations. I just kind of look at it like a sad loser who gets off on that stuff.

But its really, really well done. There's some amazing actors portraying rich, complicated characters you both love and hate and some genuinely compelling stories across an amazing world. I have no real expectation that the series will payoff huge or satisfy me when it ends. In fact, I'm pretty much prepared to hate every ending of every story and every season and character arch. But the journey so far has made up for the soul crushing destinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

- If you're gay (like me), don't expect to see your favorite guy naked. You might get to see some ankles or a bare chest though.

Woah... hold the phone Mabel. I'm all for a bit of self deprecating humour. But you can't go saying things like this without more information.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just dropping this here because I was actually looking for the IRC link tonight and it took me a while to find it:

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net (direct link)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
GoT is a good show and deserves the fame and attention it's got.

Vanderdeath posted:

I read through all of the books in 2011 after the first season ended and this is correct. A Dance With Dragons' ending was one of the most angering, bullshit cliffhangers I've ever read. Thanks, GRRM; I'll likely find out what happens in the TV show since they've already lapsed you. The scripts for next season must already be done at this point.

The dumbest thing about the DwD ending is that he's already written (and released) the chapters that come next, it was just that the book was too long to include them because he spent so much time waffling on about crap.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought GoT was on the No Couch Chat list. with Anime, Walking Dead and Dr Who

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

I thought GoT was on the No Couch Chat list. with Anime, Walking Dead and Dr Who

Eh, I don't care much about Game of Thrones and Walking Dead as long as they don't dominate the discussion and cause slapfights. The other two should be banned from life itself much less Couch Chat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:geno: no, please, don't take my japanese cartoons and british scifi, whatever shall I do :geno:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

Who cares about Game of Thrones when things like this are about to exist. Fox is ordering a show where Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini team up to solve supernatural crimes.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/houdini-and-doyle-series-fox-itv-shaw-media-1201394425/

Okay! I'm in.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Fox is ordering a show where Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini team up to solve supernatural crimes.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/houdini-and-doyle-series-fox-itv-shaw-media-1201394425/

So its like the X-Files, but with candles instead of flashlights.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah OK now I'm in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

Boooo!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Woah... hold the phone Mabel. I'm all for a bit of self deprecating humour. But you can't go saying things like this without more information.

Uh, information like what? I don't know how or why I'm supposed to prove I'm gay. I'm vegetarian too, you need an instruction manual buddy?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You've said multiple times you had a girlfriend. Gay/straight/bi whatever i don't care. Just seems a bit strange

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

You've said multiple times you had a girlfriend. Gay/straight/bi whatever i don't care. Just seems a bit strange

Continuity errors?! In MY Couch Chat?!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Oh I do, I just haven't told her yet. I live in rural Georgia where it's a 100x easier to find a homophobic person than an actual homo, so for the time being (with all the stresses of academia), I find myself needing a person who I can lay my poo poo on without being judged, who will also buy me gifts without expecting anything in return. She's a great girlfriend. I'm sure I'll tell her eventually, when I meet the right guy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
err i don't care really, i just feel i've been masterfully trolled by Ravane for months. I'm willing to provide the kudos earned.

But i need answers.

^^^HAHHAHAA, here we go again... You really are my favourite Ravane. Never change!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane's sex, age, education level and employment have also changed over xir posts if you pay attention.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aphrodite posted:

Ravane's sex, age, education level and employment have also changed over xir posts if you pay attention.

My sex has never changed. I've always been male. Though I suppose that depends on your definition of "male".

Of course my age changed, I had a birthday man. I'm 23 now, I used to be 22. And yes, I was in a Masters of Bioengineering program, now I'm in a PhD program working on cancer drug delivery methods using nanotechnology. "wow such change, such troll."

I don't have a job, I do research for my universities in exchange for stipends. Though I do work at a local soup kitchen, but not for money of course. I'm not evil.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're right. I confused you with Austrian Mook.

It's an understandable mistake.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have so many questions, but in the spirit of not caring i'll ask just the one.

How many people are you actively Catfishing right now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Petition to re-ban Ravane from the chat thread again. And his parachute Lord of Butt.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

I have so many questions, but in the spirit of not caring i'll ask just the one.

How many people are you actively Catfishing right now?

Not sure I understand, I always thought that catfishing referred to paedophilia? My girlfriend is 24 (and has her own cupcake business, with her mom). I only have the one, being gay and having more than one girlfriend makes no sense to me. I'm not dating her for her looks, though she is attractive, I'm dating her for her personality and her gifts. She bought me that car that the hamsters drive on TV. It's a green Kia Soul. She put 11 grand down on that. I only bought her a $400 ps4, with two controllers.

Let me repeat that: Gifts, good conversation, amazing chef. Wish I had a guy version of this.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Glorious stuff.

Cupcakes must fly off the shelves in Athens Georgia

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 20, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Petition to re-ban Ravane from the chat thread again. And his parachute Lord of Butt.

No, and he's not Lord of Butt. And 20 questions with Ravane is over. Nothing to see here move along.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's fine, we got another layer off the onion today.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think The Americans has more violent kills than Hannibal. Some really gruesome stuff like breaking a woman's bones so she can fit into a suitcase. And some apartheid sympathizer was tied up and burned alive.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think The Americans has more violent kills than Hannibal. Some really gruesome stuff like breaking a woman's bones so she can fit into a suitcase. And some apartheid sympathizer was tied up and burned alive.

That's disturbing and all, but The Neighbors has a character named Joe Spielberg.

Also, it exists in the first place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Who cares about Game of Thrones when things like this are about to exist. Fox is ordering a show where Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini team up to solve supernatural crimes.

Teaming up unlikely historical figures to solve crimes / fight monsters is the future. I can feel it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I'm assuming Houdini is Scully and Doyle is Mulder? Since Houdini spent his time free time busting so called psychics and mediums, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in fairies.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Rocksicles posted:

Cupcakes must fly off the shelves in Athens Georgia

That's probably true. Cupcakes are delicious and college students always need drunk munchies.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I'm tired of all this "ripped from the headlines" docudrama bullshit

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

I think The Americans has more violent kills than Hannibal. Some really gruesome stuff like breaking a woman's bones so she can fit into a suitcase.

She was already dead when they broke her bones.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deadpool posted:

My NaNoWriMo novel is going to look even less original than it did before. :qq:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Metropolis posted:

I'm tired of all this "ripped from the headlines" docudrama bullshit

Nah.

You know what the world needs: an HBO drama about Cortés turning the Aztec's vassels against them and bringing down the empire.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd watch that, in subtitles if necessary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

She was already dead when they broke her bones.

Didn't make it less hard to watch. Honestly I think the pedo plot is harder to keep your eyes open for than the other three big gross moments this season.

Bloodlines comes out today. AV club gave it an A-, which is the highest I've seen them rate a Netflix series besides OitNB.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Bloodlines comes out today. AV club gave it an A-, which is the highest I've seen them rate a Netflix series besides OitNB.

I'm watching it now. I've heard elsewhere (Sepinwall, James Poniewozik) that as well-acted as it is, the characters are thin and the scripts are a bit overwritten, so I went in with adjusted expectations. So far, digging it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So was iZombie garbage or decent? I recorded it because everything seemed really positive about it, but the premise and the name, ugh.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Haven't finished Kimmy Schmidt yet and Daredevil is on in a few weeks. We seem to be reaching the point where there will always be new Netflix Original content for me to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

So was iZombie garbage or decent? I recorded it because everything seemed really positive about it, but the premise and the name, ugh.

It's been getting really good reviews. The title is the comic it was based on and from what I've read it's very much like Veronica Mars.

Junkenstein posted:

Haven't finished Kimmy Schmidt yet and Daredevil is on in a few weeks. We seem to be reaching the point where there will always be new Netflix Original content for me to watch.

Yeah.

• Locked thread