Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Airbus would like a word over your flagrant abuse of the word "long", which it asserts is the sole property of the A340-600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I like how the CRJ1000 looks, it's like it thinks it's a super-80 or something.

(wasn't there rumors of a crj-1200 in development?)

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

ctishman posted:

Airbus would like a word over your flagrant abuse of the word "long", which it asserts is the sole property of the A340-600.

Yeah but at least the -600 looks somewhat more proportional. Like, the engines look like they belong on a plane that size.

The CRJ1000 makes me think the engineers just kept adding center frames until they ran out of room in the assembly line, not unlike how I used to play with Lego.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Not unlike stacking rotor housings for wankel engines.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You want to talk about gawky, long aircraft, look no further than the Boeing 757-300:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Honest question:

As someone who has only ridden on a CRJ a handful of times, why does there seem to be a fair amount of hate for them? I don't really find them any worse than cattle seating in a 737 or really any other short/medium haul AC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Honest question:

As someone who has only ridden on a CRJ a handful of times, why does there seem to be a fair amount of hate for them? I don't really find them any worse than cattle seating in a 737 or really any other short/medium haul AC.

They're claustrophobic due to the low ceiling and narrow aisle way. Think about an A320's headroom vs a CRJ.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I suppose that's a fair point, but how long are you actually standing/in the aisle for this to make a difference?

Or is it more as you say the "claustrophobic feeling" of it in general?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Glorgnole posted:

It would be super cool to have a Catalina and live like those yacht guys who chill out in the Caribbean instead of owning a house.

This is basically my dream, just hopping around from island to island in the Pacific.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I don't mind CRJs. I live in the sticks, so it's a CRJ on the first leg to anywhere. Seats are noticably narrower, but I can deal with it for an hour or two even in cattle class.

I did get (lovely) status though, so now I get CRJ first class pretty often, which is pretty hilarious. I guess the seat is bigger? Maybe? Hey you get a free drink!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

movax posted:

This is basically my dream, just hopping around from island to island in the Pacific.

Mine too, except on a 70' topsail schooner. :dance:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Just booked a business trip to the DC area, and started looking at the map to see where I am staying, and doing business stuff. Turns out I'm almost exactly a 2 mile walk from Udvar-Hazy. And it looks like we'll have a couple hours our last afternoon there to take a trip over there to check it out.

I don't think the coworker I'm going with knows exactly how excited I am about this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ctishman posted:

I want to see an A380 with the same length/diameter ratio.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

slidebite posted:

Cramped and tight, which most everyone can deal with for 60-90 minutes. If there are any delays or problems, and you end up spending 2-3 hours on one, it's miserable. I think it's the lack of "elbow room" that bugs me the most, so when I can I get the aisle seat so I can lean over and stretch out. It's possible to spend an entire flight in physical contact with your seatmate, which can be annoying and irritating. A friend once said of a flight to DC sitting beside a larger woman who fell asleep, "When she passed out and slumped over me... I haven't been that intimate with a woman since I was born."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

You want to talk about gawky, long aircraft, look no further than the Boeing 757-300:

Pencil dick.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrChips posted:

Poor 757 is dealing with a rough bout of puberty.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hahahaha that CRJ-1000. Little tiny engines on an ever-lengthening fuselage.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Turns out I'm almost exactly a 2 mile walk from Udvar-Hazy.

it's a lovely walk (the area is designed for cars, cars, and by the way, cars) but the destination is 100% worth it, so have fun!

ctishman posted:

I've read that airports sometimes have to shut down taxiways to get this thing moved around, it's so ridiculously long. No idea if it's true but I can totally believe it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 19, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

God drat I love listening to just radio perfection. Makes me feel even more stupid when I key the mic while flying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvyG-GTLzRs

And while the Blue's are great, nothing tops the best formation maneuver ever done ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyxsVXze44g
:swoon:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Psion posted:

hahahaha that CRJ-1000. Little tiny engines on an ever-lengthening fuselage.

it's a lovely walk (the area is designed for cars, cars, and by the way, cars) but the destination is 100% worth it, so have fun!

I've read that airports sometimes have to shut down taxiways to get this thing moved around, it's so ridiculously long. No idea if it's true but I can totally believe it.

They have sidewalks in Chantilly. It's not that bad.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe it's the way we approached the museum, but I don't recall it being pedestrian friendly to get there when we went 2 years ago. I certainly don't live in the area though so I could have just missed it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Debating getting a cab over there, but at just 2 miles, it'd probably be quicker to walk than to wait for a cab to show up. Maybe the hotel will have some kind of shuttle that can run us over.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Spaced God posted:

God drat I love listening to just radio perfection. Makes me feel even more stupid when I key the mic while flying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvyG-GTLzRs

Tell me, do they talk slowly so the token Marine can understand what's going on?

Also the Snowbirds kick the absolute poo poo out of the American teams, sorry guys. It's easy to put on a show when you've got all the thrust in Christendom; not so much when you've just got a wheezy little J85 pushing you and each of your eight buddies along.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

U-H is on the other side of Route 28 from everything else in Chantilly - you'd have to walk across the exit cloverleaf, and there's definitely no sidewalks there.

The Fairfax Connector bus is probably your best bet: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/983.htm

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Terrifying Effigies posted:

U-H is on the other side of Route 28 from everything else in Chantilly - you'd have to walk across the exit cloverleaf, and there's definitely no sidewalks there.

The Fairfax Connector bus is probably your best bet: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/983.htm

Looking at the map and yeah you're right. I live in Fairfax and don't head out that way much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

Tell me, do they talk slowly so the token Marine can understand what's going on?

The drawn out commands set the pace of the maneuvers; keeps everyone on the same page.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Just booked a business trip to the DC area, and started looking at the map to see where I am staying, and doing business stuff. Turns out I'm almost exactly a 2 mile walk from Udvar-Hazy. And it looks like we'll have a couple hours our last afternoon there to take a trip over there to check it out.

I don't think the coworker I'm going with knows exactly how excited I am about this.

Just wanted to say...if you're staying in Merrifield or at the Hilton or Westin down the road from the Udvar-Hazy, even though it might *look* like a two mile walk, there are some impediments to that idea:

1) Route 28 is not a road you want to walk alongside. Cars will be whizzing by you doing 60-70+, and there is no provision for you to walk safely along it. There might even be a law against walking alongside a high-speed road like that if you don't have a choice or didn't break down on it.
2) The 'gate' that you might see along Route 50 is usually closed as it doesn't have the provisions to take tolls for parking, which is $15. Busses, taxis, and shuttles can use an ante road, though. I don't know if they let people through the Rt. 50 gate on foot.

I'd call your hotel and ask if they offer complimentary shuttle service. They might be able to take you to - and if you call them - bring you back from the museum. It's certainly 'on the way' from Dulles back to their place.

EDIT: Annnnnd people have already told you this. Welp.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 20, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrChips posted:

:nsavince:.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Terrible Robot posted:

I have the strangest boner right now...

Boners? Seaplanes?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Udvar-Hazy is the closest place to where we're staying that the bus even approaches.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just wanted to say...if you're staying in Merrifield or at the Hilton or Westin down the road from the Udvar-Hazy, even though it might *look* like a two mile walk, there are some impediments to that idea:

1) Route 28 is not a road you want to walk alongside. Cars will be whizzing by you doing 60-70+, and there is no provision for you to walk safely along it. There might even be a law against walking alongside a high-speed road like that if you don't have a choice or didn't break down on it.
2) The 'gate' that you might see along Route 50 is usually closed as it doesn't have the provisions to take tolls for parking, which is $15. Busses, taxis, and shuttles can use an ante road, though. I don't know if they let people through the Rt. 50 gate on foot.

I'd call your hotel and ask if they offer complimentary shuttle service. They might be able to take you to - and if you call them - bring you back from the museum. It's certainly 'on the way' from Dulles back to their place.

EDIT: Annnnnd people have already told you this. Welp.

Yeah, wasn't ACTUALLY planning on walking, and if we did, the 'gate' on 50 is the closest entrypoint to where we're staying.

I hate not having a car though, but the trip is for a training class that's 200 yards from the hotel we're staying in, so can't really justify springing for a rental.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also, if you are even a quasi airplane/space person, prepare to literally stay the whole day.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Cross posting this from the cold war airpower thread:

Red Crown posted:

Russia is going to build a fleet of supersonic stealth mega transport planes capable of each carrying three of their notional uber tanks which have a 152mm gun and self defense AAA.

Putin has crossed the border into cartoon megalomania.

What do you guys think?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mustard_tiger posted:

What do you guys think?

They could solve the "what airfield could support this thing" problem by making it a seaplane.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

But it carries tanks.

Sea tanks?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mustard_tiger posted:

What do you guys think?
I think Russia can make some pretty cool drawings and renders.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Slide Hammer posted:

But it carries tanks.

Sea tanks?

Amphibious landings! Time to call the Russian Air Force's Navy's Marines.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slide Hammer posted:

But it carries tanks.

Sea tanks?

Make the seaplane part an LST.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MrChips posted:

I feel like I'm staring at an optical illusion because it looks like it's bending at the middle.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

mustard_tiger posted:

What do you guys think?

The giant child in me really hopes they actually pull something this insane off.

The rational thinking adult knows it's a god drat pipe dream and without Antotov/Western engine companies in the mix I'm not even sure they could accomplish something half as revolutionary.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mustard_tiger posted:

What do you guys think?

I think you should stop reading RT.

It's a dev spec/prop req. Read some of the poo poo DARPA gets handed every other day- "hey guys can we have a supersonic transport plane" is about on par with "hey guys can we get an armored exoskeleton that'll deploy by AI-driven car"

And Armata is basically what the Stryker program was, only with more armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Eej posted:

I feel like I'm staring at an optical illusion because it looks like it's bending at the middle.

No illusion, friend!
http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/9917/why-757-fuselage-bends-more-on-turbulence-factors