Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Locator posted:

Next I needed to form the pointy bit above the gunwales on either end. This is done by simply rough cutting left over bits of planking and stacking them up against the stem until you get to the mark where the top goes (mark was transferred from the plan prior to gluing the stems to the strong-back at the very beginning).

Then you just sand until the shape is about right.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

No Pun Intended posted:

Do you have an example of this finish? It sounds interesting.

Just the box cover photo, which is fairly small and just looks like it's painted black. Google image search of "Indian Girl Canoe" will return the same picture (the model with black hull) but it's tiny there too. All of the photo's that Google comes up for the full size canoe the finish is perfectly smooth and looks like fiberglass, which makes sense I guess, since a canvas surface impregnated with something to seal the hull and then sanded and painted would probably look pretty much like fiberglass.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Amazing photos of the models made for blade runner: http://m.imgur.com/a/mv8qf

I just wasted an hour or so. Thanks for that link! I like how for the entire first half the people all looked quite annoyed at getting their picture taken, but mostly in the 2nd half they are all smiling and happy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

I just wasted an hour or so. Thanks for that link! I like how for the entire first half the people all looked quite annoyed at getting their picture taken, but mostly in the 2nd half they are all smiling and happy.

All those buildings are unreal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibner posted:

All those buildings are unreal.

So many fiber optic lines. Today there is about a 99% chance that it would all be CGI.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

So many fiber optic lines. Today there is about a 100% chance that it would all be CGI.

Fixed that.

LEDs make lighting your models about a million times easier. I remember the late 80s fiber optic kits for things like Star Destroyers and Starships Enterprise and the spaghetti was amazing. Now you still have a bunch of runs, but they're more flexible copper wire rather than somewhat fragile fiber.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think in Empire and Jedi they tried to cut down on the amount of fiber in their models (specifically the Star Destroyers) by simply putting a big flourescant bulb inside the model, and then cutting pinholes for all the "lights" on the ship. Or maybe it wasn't even Star Wars, but I remember seeing that technique in an old issue of Cinefex.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I made my self sick and my eyes are burning from spray paining inside a tiny room with a tiny window :(

PS any good spray paint tips for spraying tiny objects still on the spru? It's tiny stupid detail parts with a million angles and I always end up over-painting them trying to get every angle. I try to be methodical but always at the end I notice huge unpainted areas of paint-shadow.

Dont try to cover them in a single layer. Its better to use multiple very thin layers and let them dry between sessions than to try and get an even coat in one go. That way you can check them between each layer and see if youve covered everything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some quick pics of a kit I'm working on now. This is Pegasus' Great White Shark, which was a standard shark and guy filming in a shark cage. I've altered it a bit, and taken a cue from Jaws, and now the guy in the cage is getting a bit more than he bargained for. Still have to repose the camera-guy, but otherwise the shark and the cage are pretty much ready for primer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Haha! That's awesome. Now I'm hearing the Jaws music in my head though. Jerk.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some quick pics of a kit I'm working on now. This is Pegasus' Great White Shark, which was a standard shark and guy filming in a shark cage. I've altered it a bit, and taken a cue from Jaws, and now the guy in the cage is getting a bit more than he bargained for. Still have to repose the camera-guy, but otherwise the shark and the cage are pretty much ready for primer.

Jaaaaaaaws, get away from me, Jaws!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is awesome and you should totally put it in a plexiglass box such as

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

drat, that shark is awesome! Also nice work on the damaged cage, it looks pretty natural. What scale is the shark? And are you planning on adding scars etc to it?

Molentik fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 19, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Molentik posted:

drat, that shark is awesome! Also nice work on the damaged cage, it looks pretty natural. What scale is the shark? And are you planning on adding scars etc to it?

The shark itself is about 13" long. I've already scored some scars into him, but it doesn't really show in the pics. Plus I'll add some painted on healed scars once I get to that stage.

Here's some pics of the Dragonslayer kit I mentioned earlier in the thread. This guy is about 15" wide. He's all ready to go, just waiting for some better weather so I can spray some rattle-can primer outside.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

How many pieces are actually in a kit like that dragon? Is it more about the painting and resulting display than the traditional model 'assembly' stuff for that type of thing?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quite a few actually. Obviously not like an armour kit, but I think that dragon had 15 pieces. Each seam-line you see there is where two pieces joined. The shark was 9 pieces. But yeah, garage kits are more about the painting and base building than assembly. Good quality garage kits from sculptors/casters can be ready for paint in minutes, as the castings are almost flawless, and some makers will actually do the prep-work for you as far as seam removal. It spans the spectrum though; I have a Gremlins 2 Mohawk Mogwai kit that I've been struggling with off and on for years because it it absolutely riddled with air holes. I got it for practically nothing, but still, it's chore to work on.

I like the range of kits out there too. You have "big" companies like Pegasus and Moebius releasing more traditional kits, to actual hollywood effects pros that turn out kits now and again to supplement their income, all the way down to first time sculptors selling their first piece for cheap to get their foot in the door. You have guys doing completely original work, others focusing on popular comics and film characters, and others doing really obscure characters you wouldn't find anywhere else. One of the weirdest "it's a small world" stories in this industry is that if you want obscure Universal Monsters characters, like some guy in the fifth Frankenstein movie from Universal no one remembers, Jeff Yagher is your guy. He's the brother of Kevin Yagher, noted hollywood effects guru, and a sometimes actor, probably best know as the "Hot and Heavy" saxaphone player from that one episode of Seinfeld. Who the hell would've ever guessed that the guy who struggled to go down on Elaine is an amazing sculptor and produces Universal Monsters kits?!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for the info Bloody Hedgehog. I guess I'm just not really interested enough in the painting and diorama aspect of that sort of thing to really have any draw to it personally, but I do enjoy looking at the results, as they can be quite amazing when completed.

-----------------

So I've started putting the ribs into the canoe, and I've run into a problem that I could use some feedback on in regards to something happening with the glue.

The ribs are pre-cut from a basswood sheet, and they have to be bent into the inside curve of the canoe hull. Even after soaking in water for 8 hours, I'm running into difficulty getting them to bend without breakage. Because of the heavy soaking required, the use of the white wood-glue just doesn't work, as PVA type glue won't set without being dry, so I would have to hold the ribs in place for 30 minutes or more before it would set, and I can't figure out a good way to clamp them, even if I did want to invest that sort of time in this 'side project'. So, I ended up using CA (i.e. super glue) as it's actually activated by damp/wet, and I can get the ribs in place and set before they dry out that way.

Unfortunately, after the CA dries, I'm getting a white crystallization forming along the edges of the ribs (see close-up, third picture). Does anyone have any tips on dealing with this? At this point, I need to know the best way to remove after it's all dried, but it would be nice to know what is causing it in order to avoid this in future projects (other than don't use CA). My only guess is that the glue is reacting with the wood varnish, as I'm soaking the ribs in distilled water, so it shouldn't be stuff in the water.

Cleaning up the inside of the canoe between the ribs is going to be a huge pain in the rear end, which is why I was trying to avoid CA completely. I've tried 3 different CA's now, not really happy with any of them, but ended up settling on a medium Jet. The super-thin just ran everywhere, even though it sets really fast.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, that's just CA with water I think. Have you considered just holding the entire rib in place with a lump of blue-tac or whatever the local equivalent is?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

CA glue tends to 'fog' when its drying, so it's something to be expected when using that kind of glue. I usually just wipe it away gently with a (oily) finger if it's just a light fog, or use a q-tip dipped in acetone to rub it away. It sucks when you have it on hard to reach places like the inside of a cockpit or something! There are some CA glues that don't fog like Gator Glue which is a water-based CA replacement with the same strength, but it dries a little slower. It is dilutable in water though, so you can wipe away any exess with a wet brush or something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ideally you're supposed to soak them, clamp/pin them, and then glue them after they're dry.

Clamping them to the sides seems easy enough, but you could clamp along the bottom as well by placing the ribs inside, and then lay a sturdy strip of wood over the ribs down the length of the canoe, and one along the underside of the boat, then using a large c-clamp to clamp it all. That should let you get the clamp in there and clear the side walls.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Seconding q-tip with acetone but try to avoid drenching the q-tip with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Did not know that about CA with water. Thanks for the information.

Bloody Hedgehog - I just can't figure out a good way to do the clamping due to the compound curvature of the hull, and even with the all-day long soak, the wood takes a lot of pressure all along it to hold it tight. I'm dealing with this with the CA by simply gluing the center and holding it until it sets, then working out on one side, then doing the other. The thin basswood dries out incredibly fast, and the hull itself is stupidly fragile, so I just don't know how I could clamp it even if I could manage a system that would hold them in place.

I could make some sort of bending jig so that I could use heat, but the hull changes shape as it progresses, so I'd have to make a different jig for every pair or so of ribs, and that's just not a time investment that I was willing to make for this little project, as the entire point was to do something fast and 'beginnerish'. I'll just finish it like I've been doing, since I'm better than half done now, and spend the time cleaning it up afterwards. I do have some acetone, so I'll test that on some scrap to see how badly it mucks up the stained wood, otherwise I'll just scrape and sand it I guess.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Soaking the wood in acetone is probably going to gently caress up the stain but if you dab the glue with acetone on a qtip lightly you'll soften the glue without hurting the stain. Then you can cut or scrape it away with a knife.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

And now for something on the opposite end of the spectrum of what's been posted this page.

I got accidentally drunk and wanted to make some models. But I'm poor for the moment, and did this. I'm no Locator with my boat, but I had a cork, toothpicks, a penny and a rag.

The penny is so it doesn't tip over :haw:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

And now for something on the opposite end of the spectrum of what's been posted this page.

I got accidentally drunk and wanted to make some models. But I'm poor for the moment, and did this. I'm no Locator with my boat, but I had a cork, toothpicks, a penny and a rag.

It's a penny keel!

Also, that's pretty cool. Now just stick it in a bottle. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

It's a penny keel!

Also, that's pretty cool. Now just stick it in a bottle. :)

It has to be one of those little 8oz plastic bottles, though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So a quick experiment with acetone seems to indicate that it will work well, but I'm not going to mess with that until I can do it outside, because of the fumes.

I got all the ribs placed. Not perfect, I aligned everything by eyeball instead of measuring things out nicely, but it'll do for this project.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey man, never poo poo on the noble art of the scratch build. It's what all great kits start life as.

Seriously though, that's actually awesome and you should be proud.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm not gonna lie, that's one of my favorite things in this thread.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is adorable and you are adorable. ADORABLES FOR EVERYONE.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rotten Cookies posted:

Very cool!

And you know, this sort of thing is how some of coolest boat models got started. Prisoners of war during the napoleonic era would build ships out of whatever they could find, their skills would grow, and eventually they could produce something like this, while still in prison:

It's made out of bone and straw, and other miscellaneous bits. I'll quote the site it came from:

quote:

This model of the First Rate Warship of the British Admiralty is a highly detailed and fine example of the artistic craftsmanship of the prisoners, mostly French but some Dutch and British, held during the Napoleonic Wars (1795-1815). These superbly accurate and highly detailed models are considered by enthusiastic collectors worldwide as some of the most desirable and important ship models ever created.

Representing one of the largest Ships-of-the-Line from the period, this model features great sharp lines and an intricacy of the rig and gear that is to be marveled over, regardless of the harsh circumstances of its construction. The masts have ring slices of gold and baleen between bone sections, and the main deck has a baleen center dividing the bone planks. Gun ports have red polychrome to echo those in real life, and large anchors of bone and metal are position to drop and hold firm. Above the bow’s beak a Warrior Figurehead, sword aloft, is quite visible. Special note should be given the detailed base made of a bone tray and feet with inlays of colorful woven straw.

These rare Prisoner-of-War bone models has been available in very few numbers, the decline making it more difficult for private collectors to compete with public institution buyers for acquisition of these historically important and aesthetically appealing artifacts. This is a fine model of an intricate scale that would be appreciated in any collection.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Very cool!

And you know, this sort of thing is how some of coolest boat models got started. Prisoners of war during the napoleonic era would build ships out of whatever they could find, their skills would grow, and eventually they could produce something like this, while still in prison:

It's made out of bone and straw, and other miscellaneous bits. I'll quote the site it came from:

This is really awesome! I had no idea, but it makes sense. There can't be much to do in prison. And if I'm ever behind bars, I'll have a head start.

I'm always amazed at the absolutely massive amount of rigging on ships like that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Somewhere in the Royal Ontario Museum there is one of these in a very small scale. The hull was carved out of a single piece of bone. The sails were made with sackcloth, and the entire thing was rigged with human hair.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The bone models are actually one of the prime sources of research for many ships of that period when no other really good records of them exist. They are amazing examples of human ingenuity and craftsmanship, and I never fail to be amazed that they were produced in the conditions of an early 19th century prisoner of war camp only the items and tools that they could come up with and make themselves.

It's astounding that they knew the ships well enough to make those amazing models from their memory too.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

The bone models are actually one of the prime sources of research for many ships of that period when no other really good records of them exist. They are amazing examples of human ingenuity and craftsmanship, and I never fail to be amazed that they were produced in the conditions of an early 19th century prisoner of war camp only the items and tools that they could come up with and make themselves.

It's astounding that they knew the ships well enough to make those amazing models from their memory too.

British sailors of the same period that were engaged in the blockade of the continent spent up to two years on a ship. If that is all you can see for that long, I bet you get to know it extremely well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone is looking to get a high-quality airbrush for ultra-cheap, Amazon is having another amazing sale on the Badger Sotar 20/20. It's on for $97, that's $320 bucks off!

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426980977&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+sotar

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If anyone is looking to get a high-quality airbrush for ultra-cheap, Amazon is having another amazing sale on the Badger Sotar 20/20. It's on for $97, that's $320 bucks off!

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426980977&sr=8-1&keywords=badger+sotar

God drat my being poor :smith:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait is that really a 420 dollar airbrush? Or is it just amazon overpricing it pre-sale.
What I'm saying is if I have the money but was gonna wait to buy an airbrush will I regret not grabbing it now.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 22, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

everythingWasBees posted:

Wait is that really a 420 dollar airbrush? Or is it just amazon overpricing it pre-sale.
What I'm saying is if I have the money but was gonna wait to buy an airbrush will I regret not grabbing it now.

Yeah, it's one of the best airbrushes out there, and the "normal" price is in the $400 range.

They've had it even cheaper in the past, in the $70 range. No one has really ever had a concrete answer why Amazon has them so cheap sometimes. There's been some rumour that they're refurbs, but the vast majority of reviews on Amazon are positive. Even if it is a refurb, it's still an amazing deal at the price.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That airbrush is supposed to be really good, but there are also a lot of reviews that knock it for the very small paint cup, and it's also a very fine detailing brush. If that is what you need, then yea, it gets great reviews, but if you are looking to shoot primer for say 1:200 scale battleship hulls, it may not be the right choice.

I'm going to wait on it, as I have a Badger 105 that I haven't even used yet, and most everything that I plan to use an airbrush for doesn't need that super fine detailing that this one gives. Also, I still need to get a compressor.!