Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mortimer posted:

hey here's this thing I talked about
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410574541

it's a dumb mod to enable easier gentrification of your rich folks while preventing those peasants across town from attending.

model is just the university :effort:
Will that actually work as intended?

It seems to me that the "radius" of schools is only used for land value calculations, the education effect is global -- that is, you can have all your schools in a corner of the map and everyone will still get educated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does the LP forum still require 3 months from a game release to do an LP? Because I would love a CS LP so bad. Hint hint Deadly Hume.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
So how about we get a multiplayer goontopia going?

Using the 25 tile mod, each square is its own district, 1 person per district.

Build dams and then raze them to flood your neighbours! Put your poop chute upstream from their water pump! Delete all your industrial roads except one and inundate their town with trucks!

The possibilities are endless!

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Cincle posted:

It's a sorta gimmicky map but I enjoy working around dumbass terrain.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408053890&searchtext=landing

Looks like fun, thanks :) I like that kinda terrain as well. The most annoying part about CS for me is that you can't plop service buildings easily because 'terrain is too steep'. I mean ffs in reality you'd dig into a hill or add some dirt to lay a flat foundation. Simcity 4 was really good with that. I hope a mod ends up fixing that aspect.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does the LP forum still require 3 months from a game release to do an LP? Because I would love a CS LP so bad. Hint hint Deadly Hume.

No, that rule got abolished a few months back. That said, something like This LP would be cool, but I think the game needs more time to mature and mods to come out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

simosimo posted:

Blender.

This poo poo is driving me nuts! I've gotten as far as wrapping a basic cube but moving the little UV net thing on the right does nothing, the video I was watching the dude was clicking on each face, and drawing a little area on the right and it updated each time

I also have a rogue little verticie for some reason. I tried to delete it and the whole thing just showed a blank grid ARGH.

Also the front of the building has my texture on but doesnt show a texture in the UV editor, I dont even know. Wading against the waves at every turn with 3D modellin'. :(

Go into edit mode in the left window. Select all polygons. Select Mesh->UV Unwrap->Smart UV Project.

edit! Also that little ball to the right of the 'edit mode' button? Click on it and select Texture mode. Or jump into your texture and make sure the mapping is set to 'uv'

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 20, 2015

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What's going on here? There's a small part of my city that's suddenly stopped getting electricity. It's adjacent to powered buildings, and building powerlines in has them work normally for a while and then shut off. I have enough power to support these buildings. Have I missed something? Does God hate these cims?

Cincle
Dec 28, 2003

I bought this smiley.

Songbearer posted:

What's going on here? There's a small part of my city that's suddenly stopped getting electricity. It's adjacent to powered buildings, and building powerlines in has them work normally for a while and then shut off. I have enough power to support these buildings. Have I missed something? Does God hate these cims?

Had that as well, just build a windmill nearby. I think power can only propagate so far.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Songbearer posted:

What's going on here? There's a small part of my city that's suddenly stopped getting electricity. It's adjactent to powered buildings, and building powerlines in has them work normally for a while and then shut off. I have enough power to support these buildings. Have I missed something? Does God hate these cims?

Is that part of your city's power grid connected to the rest of your city? If that part of the city exists in an "island" of electricity, than the info view won't accurately reflect the power situation since it shows total consumption/production for the entire city.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I ran into this same issue and it was because I had power sources in multiple locations, but I had broken a line somewhere and half my city was only receiving power from a couple of windmills instead of all my power generation sites. Ie. your grid is broken somewhere.

The electricity availability meter can be misleading in cases like that since it's showing you what you generate in total, not what each building receives.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I knew this game was too good to be true. When will the devOCRATS at OBAMAdox remove the liberal bias from my sandbox game?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ugh and why do you have to provide public schools and public healthcare? Where is the invisible hand of the free market in this game???

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I seriously wanted to make a Galt's Gulch of unrepentant free market without any public services. All the buildings will burn and I shall have my supply of uneducated industrial drones :evilbuddy: I think it could be done with the only way out being a freight train that delivers its goods to the more deserving cosmopolitan areas.

I have this reclaimed valley I'm almost done pumping water from, anyway. Might decide to flood it later and make it a lost city to remind the people what happens when hubris reigns.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
Someone create a Laffer curve mod that suggests optimum tax rates and then crashes the economy of any player who complies.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

St Evan Echoes posted:

Ugh and why do you have to provide public schools and public healthcare? Where is the invisible hand of the free market in this game???

I actually tried to imagine what a city-building game with a conservative bent like the guy screencapped above would appreciate would be like. Near as I can tell it'd be one that mostly played itself, since almost anything you do (besides "build roads" I guess) is something they don't want the government doing, so it'd be the people (i.e. NPCs) doing almost everything. It probably wouldn't be a very fun game.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hey guys did you install bordercities you should install bordercities just sayin

Cell shaded cities are the best cities.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Cities: Skylines- A Slope too Steep

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

Hey guys did you install bordercities you should install bordercities just sayin

Oh so they released another Crackdown game then?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

I actually tried to imagine what a city-building game with a conservative bent like the guy screencapped above would appreciate would be like.
Medieval Engineers.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I tried using that terrain.party thing on some of my hometown but all of the land is so close to sealevel that the game mushes the shoreline way too far inward. Also it hates floodplains. Dang :(

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

Spaceman Future! posted:

I sure do hope they add some better AA to the base game. But yes. Bordercities is great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why your AA so bad.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After getting over the initial bugs, holy crap is this game addictive. Been waiting ten years for this game.

Here's my first city, taking it slow. Trying to get a feel for the traffic and roads with some experimentation:

Yep, definitely some issues there, mostly thanks to the haphazard way I laid down one-way roads in the beginning. There's also the cross-town strangler that developed thanks to one experiment where I made a giant one-way loop that connected to freeways. Later on in the game I was pretty screwed despite frantically putting in alternate routes:

I've started using some of the mods, good stuff. My first experiment with the "grid of the gods" seems to be going well. Now I just need to learn how to use it:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I tried using that terrain.party thing on some of my hometown but all of the land is so close to sealevel that the game mushes the shoreline way too far inward. Also it hates floodplains. Dang :(

You can take the greyscale heightmap into a paint program and tweak/edit it before importing, like brighten it up a bit and then 'paint' where the sea 'should' be in a darker color.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Spaceman Future! posted:

uh

gently caress?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Mantis posted:

uh

gently caress?

At first I thought the trees were heavy equipment representing the constant destruction and reconstruction of the highway intercanges.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
trapped in waterpaint simulation

please send help

seriously wtf bordercities why

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

The Mantis posted:

trapped in waterpaint simulation

please send help

seriously wtf bordercities why

This is awesome. Never stop.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Every time.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Arrath posted:

Dezoning typically causes the buildings to poof out of existence though. I dunno if abandoned buildings behave any differently in this case.

I can now confirm it also magically disappears abandoned buildings. :smith:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I wonder if it is possible for it to eventually calculate the 'view' as part of the value - I guess you could do it in the map editor like Tropico where you can zone some 'natural beauty' that if the house is in or near it gets a bonus of some sort.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I should make a giant pile of money that increases land value around it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Logikv9 posted:

I can now confirm it also magically disappears abandoned buildings. :smith:

Don't worry, someone will fix it with a mod within 20 minutes. :)

Speaking of which, where the hell is my American ambulance siren mod?! :mad:

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

I wish there were bike paths and cyclists but thats prob a pretty complex thing to mod in

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SynthOrange posted:

I should make a giant pile of money that increases land value around it.

Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Speaking of which, where the hell is my American ambulance siren mod?! :mad:

If you zoom down on the roads they have little euro style speed limit signs too.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

If you zoom down on the roads they have little euro style speed limit signs too.

:911:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How should I go about setting up a cargo freight train and a passenger train for my city? I have no outside connections for them. Almost entirely on accident I solved most of my traffic and trash problems and I've expanded across the river and my next real big challenge is better public transit. And also making less lovely grids and making what I've got better, but you know. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey guys made a layout that solves the traffic problem :shepface:

How to solve your traffic problem: Just don't have traffic lights! :eng101:

The only real "traffic" is where people come into the city via the highway, and I've literally never seen them have a big single file backup. It's just the only place in the entire city where the cars have to stop for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
:siren:Breaking news for people trying to balance highways by balanced right and left exits:siren:

Highway traffic behavior is for through traffic to avoid "local lanes" which are those which have exits within a personally undetermined length. Nearby exits on the right and left will turn cims into crazy middle lane campers and render your highways as good as ramps.

Macaluso posted:

Hey guys made a layout that solves the traffic problem :shepface:

How to solve your traffic problem: Just don't have traffic lights! :eng101:

The only real "traffic" is where people come into the city via the highway, and I've literally never seen them have a big single file backup. It's just the only place in the entire city where the cars have to stop for a second.
I knew 2 lanes were overpowered but my soul just died a little looking at those shots.

Wait, where is the industrial? Industrial is the only real traffic generator.