Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

myron cope posted:

I have looked for an article or something somewhere that goes into detail on the licensing of Marvel comics for movies/tv. I guess there's just too much info that we'll never have (unless it gets leaked like the Sony stuff!) to get an accurate picture of it. I know there was something about if they don't make a movie in <X> years the rights go back to Marvel, which is what happened with...Punisher? Something. Were the contracts "as long as you keep making movies, have the rights forever!"?

These are dumb questions that for some unknown reason I would love to have the answer to.

Both Punisher and Ghost Rider have reverted back to Marvel. The only Non-Spider-Man, Non-X-Men, Non-Fantastic Four character at this point that has questionable rights is Namor. And Feige has said they could do Namor if they wanted to but there's just a few things they'd have to get straight to do it and it's not something they have an idea for right now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruceski posted:

Everything sounds sarcastic on the internet. Including this statement.

Oh really?

Nah, I took your comment at face value the first time. I never thought you were being sarcastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EDIT: Mod triple post. Woo! Thanks phone!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wait, EJO was in this episode - how the gently caress did I miss that? :psyduck:

e: vvv ah ok, I watched it on Hulu so I didn't get to see the teaser.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OptimusWang posted:

Wait, EJO was in this episode - how the gently caress did I miss that? :psyduck:

I think he's in the next episode, not this one.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Deadpool posted:

Both Punisher and Ghost Rider have reverted back to Marvel. The only Non-Spider-Man, Non-X-Men, Non-Fantastic Four character at this point that has questionable rights is Namor. And Feige has said they could do Namor if they wanted to but there's just a few things they'd have to get straight to do it and it's not something they have an idea for right now anyway.

Don't all of them have that clause too? Men movies come out every other year and Spider-Man movies come out pretty frequently so there was never a studio worry about either of those but isn't maintaining the rights the main driving force about the new FF movie?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Don't all of them have that clause too? Men movies come out every other year and Spider-Man movies come out pretty frequently so there was never a studio worry about either of those but isn't maintaining the rights the main driving force about the new FF movie?

No the new FF was going to happen and they even had some deals with Marvel Studios where Marvel tried to wrangle a few characters from that universe. Marvel was ok with letting Daredevil stay with Fox if they could get the rights back to some key cosmic characters. Apparently the deal fell apart on both ends though. I forget the exact specifics but at the time Fox had plans to possibly let Joe Carnahan reboot Daredevil but those rights were about to expire and they weren't going to get it made in time to keep them so that's why the deal was ever put on the table. As for X-Men and Fantastic Four I don't see those deals really ending anytime soon unless FF bombs out completely. And maybe not even then. The Spider-Man deal was a little different even before the deal to bring him into the MCU in that Marvel still retained all the merch and animation rights so basically they made tons of money off the films even though they didn't put them out. So there was never a huge pull to get them back.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Sharmat posted:

Yes but why did he say that? What was the context?

The hit film Captain America 2: Rise of the Winter Soldier and the less of a hit show Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

OptimusWang posted:

He's playing Paste Pot Pete in the upcoming Age of Ultron crossover episode.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dan Didio posted:

The hit film Captain America 2: Rise of the Winter Soldier and the less of a hit show Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

So did you seriously, in all honesty, say "SHIELD is one hundred percent gone forever in all forms" in the context of discussing this show, entitled "Agents of SHIELD"?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

So did you seriously, in all honesty, say "SHIELD is one hundred percent gone forever in all forms" in the context of discussing this show, entitled "Agents of SHIELD"?

The thread was titled Agents of Hydra and then Agents of Nothing for a while. it was fun.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

No, of course not. I think I just posted 'S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone' a bunch after that movie came out, because S.H.I.E.L.D. was gone. Autistic people got hung up on it, so I kept posting it.

I think at one point I did say, seriously, that the show, etc. would be better if they never tried to formally bring S.H.I.E.L.D. back, but that might have been in one of the movie threads.

Also, I know this will provoke the usual framework of train-watchers and abacus-lovers to come out of the wood-work, but my gut feeling is that not even this show's creators would be stupid enough to pull out a 'real S.H.I.E.L.D.' that is a complete return to the status quo before Winter Soldier, because that would be kind of gross and really stupid. I guess the obvious assumption is something stupid to do with Fury, but even that would be more than I'd want/they should do.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 20, 2015

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Potsticker posted:

The thread was titled Agents of Hydra and then Agents of Nothing for a while. it was fun.

Don't forget about hte brief period where it was called Agents of HATE. that was awesome.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

God I'm hoping for a good Netflix series for The Punisher if Daredevil works out.

It's pretty much the ideal venue for the character. It can be full blown hard R, not deal with as much censorship, and not screw up the MCU vibe that the character would as a film. Plus I want to see the Punisher done right, just once, drat it. The last movie I could tell had it's heart in the right place more or less, but not the skill necessary. I won't mention the one before that.

ED: Also I'm really hoping that the Netflix characters might get AoS crossovers; seems like it could be within the realm of reason to say, have Daredevil show up on Shield, in particular since you're not talking leading-film names. Plus honestly both Carter and Shield are shockingly graphic at times with their violence, so I could see even the harder characters doing crossover.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 20, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

David D. Davidson posted:

Don't forget about hte brief period where it was called Agents of HATE. that was awesome.

IMMA WATCH TEE VEE!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Clauses like that are very common in Hollywood. So are so-called Pay or Play contracts for actors and sometimes for directors, guaranteeing they get paid even if they're not used in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarantee_(filmmaking)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

I was kind of sad we didn't get Agents of C.A.R.T.E.R. during the break.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

He seemed quite adamant about it, to the point where it was all he would say.

Dan Didio posted:

No, of course not. I think I just posted 'S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone' a bunch after that movie came out, because S.H.I.E.L.D. was gone. Autistic people got hung up on it, so I kept posting it.

:golfclap: Well spun, sir. Well spun.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

God I'm hoping for a good Netflix series for The Punisher if Daredevil works out.

It's pretty much the ideal venue for the character. It can be full blown hard R, not deal with as much censorship, and not screw up the MCU vibe that the character would as a film. Plus I want to see the Punisher done right, just once, drat it. The last movie I could tell had it's heart in the right place more or less, but not the skill necessary. I won't mention the one before that.

ED: Also I'm really hoping that the Netflix characters might get AoS crossovers; seems like it could be within the realm of reason to say, have Daredevil show up on Shield, in particular since you're not talking leading-film names. Plus honestly both Carter and Shield are shockingly graphic at times with their violence, so I could see even the harder characters doing crossover.

I liked the Tom Jane Punisher. If it actually had money behind the film it would have been so much better, but that loving fight with Kevin Nash is awesome. Also Roy Schneider with "nail drivers".

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

I liked the Tom Jane Punisher. If it actually had money behind the film it would have been so much better, but that loving fight with Kevin Nash is awesome. Also Roy Schneider with "nail drivers".

The Tom Jane Punisher was fantastic. Those ridiculous trailers with Drowning Pool or whatever blaring over them were so goddamn perfectly stupid. I love that film. The fight with the Russian is a work of art.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ray Stevenson should still be the Punisher regardless of what form any future adaptation takes. Even if it's in the MCU, where he already plays a character that has appeared in two films.

Or they could just make a third season of Rome on HBO. That would be cool too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frank Castle is already being played by Antony Starr, on Banshee.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Maybe he could be played by a good actor in a good show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're such a moaning bastard.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Is everything okay at home?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Clauses like that are very common in Hollywood. So are so-called Pay or Play contracts for actors and sometimes for directors, guaranteeing they get paid even if they're not used in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarantee_(filmmaking)

They can lead to some pretty weird trivia, like how Marlon Wayans still gets royalties from Batman Forever, a movie that he was not in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

You're such a moaning bastard.

He's just upset that S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Karl Urban as the Punisher that is a stealth Dredd 2.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

twistedmentat posted:

I'm all for Thomas Jane (and afaik he's said he's totally and forever down to be punisher, much like ryan reynolds/deadpool)

But Urban would definitely be my solid second choice.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Punisher is a trash character though.

And so is the inhuman guy. He's got no eyes, also he teleports, also he makes forcefields. The concepts don't flow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Turns out there was a new AoU TV spot last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WM915QsOyI

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vitamin P posted:

Punisher is a trash character though.

And so is the inhuman guy. He's got no eyes, also he teleports, also he makes forcefields. The concepts don't flow.

The forcefields may be kinda extraneous but I think blind + teleports is a good combination.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Have we seen that blue visual effect to actually be a force field? Seems like it manifest when he blinks in and goes away when he blinks out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't seem like anyone wants to touch whatever field Gordon seems to be generating, so who knows if it's protective at this point?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

twistedmentat posted:

I'd be down for that, I like basically everything Urban is ever in.

Guy flips the sickest spear in return of the king too :allears:.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrJacobs posted:

Also had a great theme which was basically a spaghetti western theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxDKvZ_SNk

I think the one underrated bad guy in that film is the Johnny Cash look a like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68QmIDeWSX4

Also I love the ending so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3eVcMdxBI

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 21, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

In the comics, his power is to make everything he reads become reality. So he was blinded to limit his power, but he can still read braille. The TV version is a bit different, but it's still possible he has the same powers so he can the words "teleportation" and "forcefield" or something.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Error 404 posted:

I'm all for Thomas Jane (and afaik he's said he's totally and forever down to be punisher, much like ryan reynolds/deadpool)

But Urban would definitely be my solid second choice.

Ray Stevenson was the perfect Punisher, so there is no reason for Thomas Jane to sit by the phone all day, waiting for that call.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

achillesforever6 posted:

Also had a great theme which was basically a spaghetti western theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxDKvZ_SNk

I think the one underrated bad guy in that film is the Johnny Cash look a like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68QmIDeWSX4

Also I love the ending so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et3eVcMdxBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The MSJ posted:

In the comics, his power is to make everything he reads become reality. So he was blinded to limit his power, but he can still read braille. The TV version is a bit different, but it's still possible he has the same powers so he can the words "teleportation" and "forcefield" or something.

Didnt we see him immediately post-terragenesis, bamf-ing around and being blind? Then Mrs Muad'dad (Mommad'dib?) came in and calmed him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

NowonSA posted:

I'd be down for that, I like basically everything Urban is ever in.

Guy flips the sickest spear in return of the king too :allears:.

Except Pathfinder, which was poo poo, but that wasn't his fault I suppose.

• Locked thread