Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Any deck playing Elspeth can run erase or abzan advantage, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Sure, but it's like this guessing game because if they didn't run any enchantments Game 1, how do you know to bring in Erase?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

Essentially, its not like it permanently shuts you down. Jeskai Tokens can also run the same.

I'm more concerned for my planned "Mono-Red Goblins" deck. I guess I will need destructive revelries.

edit; ^I've seen many arguments that maindecking enchantment hate will be reasonable in DTK Standard. There's just so many powerful enchantments fuelling many decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rimusutera posted:

Essentially, its not like it permanently shuts you down. Jeskai Tokens can also run the same.

I'm more concerned for my planned "Mono-Red Goblins" deck. I guess I will need destructive revelries.

edit; ^I've seen many arguments that maindecking enchantment hate will be reasonable in DTK Standard. There's just so many powerful enchantments fuelling many decks.

Outpost Siege, Chained to the Rocks, Courser, etc.

There's actually a ton of targets to hit right now, many of which are win cons if you don't do something about them.

qbert posted:

Has anyone noticed that not only does Virulent Plague hose token strategies, but it's also really good anti-Elspeth tech?

My favorite wincon :(

Its probably too narrow even as a sideboard card. Drown in Sorrow is probably better because it's a board wipe on anything with 2 toughness, card or token. Tokens in general would have to be really oppressive for that to be a good card to play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Outpost Siege, Chained to the Rocks, Courser, etc.

There's actually a ton of targets to hit right now, many of which are win cons if you don't do something about them.

This is why Dromoka's Command is going to be main decked in every winning G/W list until rotation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

qbert posted:

Has anyone noticed that not only does Virulent Plague hose token strategies, but it's also really good anti-Elspeth tech?

Good. :colbert:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

That could definitely be the case but I'm really hesitant to run such narrow spells main deck unless I've got a really good way to filter them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

It might even be Vintage playable! It hoses Dredge, Delver, and Oath.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
You could technically beat Virulent Plague by +1'ing Elspeth til you're at 8, use the ultimate, protect her for an additional turn, then start churning out 1/1 Soldiers with flying.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

You could technically beat Virulent Plague by +1'ing Elspeth til you're at 8, use the ultimate, protect her for an additional turn, then start churning out 1/1 Soldiers with flying.

Nobody is going to let you do that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I think I'm doing two-headed giant sealed for the first time this weekend. Is there anything to keep in mind besides "cards that say 'each opponent' are better than normal" and that the two-color hoser cards are probably maindeckable? Might Impact Tremors or Mardu Shadowspear actually be playable? Tasigur's Cruelty obviously seems really good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Taking away Elspeth's ability to protect itself is basically the same as killing her.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

So I think I'm doing two-headed giant sealed for the first time this weekend. Is there anything to keep in mind besides "cards that say 'each opponent' are better than normal" and that the two-color hoser cards are probably maindeckable? Might Impact Tremors or Mardu Shadowspear actually be playable? Tasigur's Cruelty obviously seems really good.

Just play ALL of your removal and ALL of your bombs and ALL of your card advantage. With double the blockers and extra life you don't want to be messing around with 2/1s and dumb poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

There is a good guide buried somewhere in TWoo's article archives, but I couldn't find it before I started punching my monitor.

Impact Tremors actually sounds oddly good... You're not in the GTA, right?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Virulent Plague also hoses Twin in Modern.

"Oh you want to attack me with a million 0/2 Exarchs? Have fun with that."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiderdrake posted:

There is a good guide buried somewhere in TWoo's article archives, but I couldn't find it before I started punching my monitor.

1 damage to a creature or player when a dude hits the board is really good, it's like a mini Purphoros that you can direct as you will.

Now imagine that in my Norin the Wary EDH deck. :getin:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

qbert posted:

Virulent Plague also hoses Twin in Modern.

"Oh you want to attack me with a million 0/2 Exarchs? Have fun with that."

Illness in the Ranks already exists and only costs B. It kills Pestermite tokens outright and cripples Exarchs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Spiderdrake posted:

Nope, up north.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just play ALL of your removal and ALL of your bombs and ALL of your card advantage. With double the blockers and extra life you don't want to be messing around with 2/1s and dumb poo poo.

Yeah, I figure you don't want try to be aggro against 12 packs' worth of removal. Just pack your own removal, play all the bombs, and have one player running all the negates you open?

Is the usual strategy to just try to cut the worst color and run two 2-color decks? Or does there tend to always been enough good stuff in each color that one player is splashing for a bomb or some removal? I guess put one player on two colors and giving the other all the fixing makes sense.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Alaan posted:

Illness in the Ranks already exists and only costs B. It kills Pestermite tokens outright and cripples Exarchs.

Yeah, totally forgot about that. Don't see it played enough on streams.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Do we know what packs will be in the prerelease kits, anyway?

I'm guessing the sealed, 3 Dragons, a Fate, and a Khans? Does that sound right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

1 damage to a creature or player when a dude hits the board is really good, it's like a mini Purphoros that you can direct as you will.

Now imagine that in my Norin the Wary EDH deck. :getin:

If it was creature or player it would be good, but it's only to players. But in 2HG it deals 2 to the other time every time you get a creature instead of 1. Only your creatures trigger it though, not your teammate's.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Do we know what packs will be in the prerelease kits, anyway?

I'm guessing the sealed, 3 Dragons, a Fate, and a Khans? Does that sound right?

No Khans. 4 Dragons, 1 Fate, 1 seeded pack for whichever dragon brood you chose.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
efb

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

If it was creature or player it would be good, but it's only to players. But in 2HG it deals 2 to the other time every time you get a creature instead of 1. Only your creatures trigger it though, not your teammate's.

Dammit. Still good in Norin EDH.

Entropic posted:

No Khans. 4 Dragons, 1 Fate, 1 seeded pack for whichever dragon brood you chose.

DAMMIT

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Dammit. Still good in Norin EDH.

DAMMIT

We're in the alternate timeline now where there's dragons. The draft format is Dragons-Dragons-Fate. Khans of Tarkir is a timeline that no longer exists.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Khans->Fate->Dragons would probably be less dysfunctional of a non-intended limited format than most if you wanted to gently caress around with that at some point though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

While I understand it was made necessary by the short span between Fate release and Dragon release, I really wish we were just going into pure Dragons.

Though the appeal of Shockmaw comboing with Coat with Venom is great.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiderdrake posted:

While I understand it was made necessary by the short span between Fate release and Dragon release, I really wish we were just going into pure Dragons.

Though the appeal of Shockmaw comboing with Coat with Venom is great.

That sound hilariously nasty. Wow.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Alaan posted:

Khans->Fate->Dragons would probably be less dysfunctional of a non-intended limited format than most if you wanted to gently caress around with that at some point though.

That and triple Dragons both seem like great unofficial formats.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Start off drafting FRF then take a pod vote for Khans or Dragons after the first pack

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

+1 lili on myself, then unburial rites for the most value possible.

G1 had the Reoccuring Nightmare value

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 20, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No matter what I pick in Khans block prereleases, I always end up going grixis in the end. Mardu in Khans, didn't open good white so filled in the deck with blue, then I did Jeskai for FRF and opened an insane dragon beats deck, no white rares, again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Babylon Astronaut posted:

No matter what I pick in Khans block prereleases, I always end up going grixis in the end. Mardu in Khans, didn't open good white so filled in the deck with blue, then I did Jeskai for FRF and opened an insane dragon beats deck, no white rares, again.

Grixis control would probably be pretty sweet in DTK if the fixing was there. Red has a bunch of removal, a 3 mana pyroclasm, Dragon lord's servant for cheaper dragons, and a number of high impact, high end rare spells.

And tokens to exploit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ingenious

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

I like the white bordered duals! It makes them easier to fetch for out of a hundred-odd black-bordered cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Four Score posted:

I like the white bordered duals! It makes them easier to fetch for out of a hundred-odd black-bordered cards.

More like fifty-odd, and this is also why you white-border your basics.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It could be worse. The schmuck who runs our LGS now plain forgot to sign up in time, so we just don't get one. I swear to god, if he gets the only shop for over 100 Miles shut down on his pure laziness after myself and a few others worked it for free for a year just to keep the shop running until a new Real Owner could take it, I flat out won't forgive him for it.

Same here, our LGS forgot to get our prerelease sanctioned in time too. Four hour drive to the closest prerelease now (well, a bit over three if I headed across the border to closest in nothern Sweden).

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Count Bleck posted:

Nobody is going to let you do that.

qbert posted:

Taking away Elspeth's ability to protect itself is basically the same as killing her.

I honestly didn't think I needed to append a ":v:" to the end of my post to convey the obvious and inherent absurdity of playing a planeswalker and having it accomplish literal nothing for 4 consecutive, unprotected, turns, but then again you learn something new every day. Anyway, you guys are right, back to the drawing board.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Not really that evident from the art that this guy has flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Not really that evident from the art that this guy has flying.

Is he riding a dragon? Or is that just an really elaborate codpiece? I can't even tell what's supposed to be going on in the bottom left of the art there. It looks like he's supposed to be a Naga?

• Locked thread