Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Didn't realise .ie was so expensive

Thanks for those. I'd assumed it would have to be an Irish company. I'm paying €40+VAT (@23%) for them atm.

And thanks to whoever retweeted. I got an email from Digiweb soon after:

quote:

Further to your tweet to Digiweb_Ireland regarding your password reset.

I apologise on behalf of my team member who responded to your ticket, there
seems to have been a language interpretation issue with our out of business
hours support team. We employ a variety of encryption systems to secure both
our system and the passwords therein, however passwords are sent in plain text
messages, otherwise they would be unreadable.

They sent me my actual password, not a temporary password/reset one. I'm not sure I should even bother teaching them about hashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Rufus Ping posted:

Didn't realise .ie was so expensive

Tip: It's free if you buy a copy of Windows.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just bought a .com on godaddy

The tumblr and the wordpress versions of my .com are already taken. Can I still use my .com with either of those services?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I just bought a .com on godaddy

The tumblr and the wordpress versions of my .com are already taken. Can I still use my .com with either of those services?

Wordpress:
https://store.wordpress.com/premium-upgrades/custom-domains/

Tumblr:
https://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I already bought it on godaddy though (I know very little about what I am doing)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I already bought it on godaddy though (I know very little about what I am doing)

Those articles talk about using a 3rd party domain. Wordpress charges a premium fee for using your own domain.
Tumblr requires some DNS changes to be made.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Thanks, appreesh

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

alanthecat posted:

Thanks for those. I'd assumed it would have to be an Irish company. I'm paying €40+VAT (@23%) for them atm.

And thanks to whoever retweeted. I got an email from Digiweb soon after:

They sent me my actual password, not a temporary password/reset one. I'm not sure I should even bother teaching them about hashing.

eNom does the same thing, and when I called them out on it they said the exact same thing - "we use encryption!" - totally missing the point that they shouldn't be able to read my password other than when I send it to them to authenticate. Lost passwords should be a one-time-use time-limited reset token that expires on any changes to the user's ID info (email changed? token no longer valid. password changed? token no longer valid) but tons of people don't get that. I moved all my domains to Route 53, which I already use for all my DNS, and haven't regretted it at all.

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 26, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Route 53 is nice, we use it for our work domains. If you need something easily scriptable it is hard to beat. Work domains are even set up so we have *.dev.domain.com managed by a second dev AWS account so they can't mess up anything production.

I'm using name cheap still because I buy my domains there. They are eventually going to rehaul the GUI to match the rest of the site, but its serviceable.

I also poked around the google domains beta and almost went with them but their price wasn't any better and I didn't feel like making sure DNS transferred over properly and mess with it.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
We're using Route53 for our domains at work as well. We don't have anywhere near enough updates to bother with scripting stuff, but just doing updates through the console is stupid simple. My only "complaint" is that you get a different set of name servers for each domain, rather than one set for any domains in the account, which made the migration process a bit more difficult than it needed to be. Certainly not a big deal by any means, just a minor annoyance since for each domain you had to look up the NS hostnames for each domain and then update the info with the registrar, rather than just putting ns#.amazonaws.com or whatever for all the domains. (And Amazon's reasoning for doing what they do makes sense, so you have name servers under multiple TLDs and they can load balance and change the underlying architecture without it affecting users and all that, just something to be aware of.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I host a bunch of small business websites all on my lonesome and one of them asked me the other day how they would get control of their site if I should disappear.

Right now the honest answer is "haha you don't, your website dies with me!"

I have regular backups of all the sites in git repos. What would be a clever way of giving clients access to these backups through some kind of independent service that will still be there even if all my servers explode and I get hit by a bus?

The only thing I can think of is sharing the actual repos on something like bitbucket, but I think that would confuse the clients. Ideally I want to give them each credentials to some simple service where they can login and download a package called this_is_your_website.zip or something.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
FInd a Reseller Shared hosting Plan. Give them their own Credentials. Problem solved.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
WOOT! OpenSSL security updates issued!

Updates for OpenSSL were just released to address various security vulnerabilities, some of which they consider high priority and it is recommended that you update as soon as possible.
(Please keep an eye open for vendor / control panel updates that are related to these updates in the coming days.)

Official Link:
https://openssl.org/news/secadv_20150319.txt

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
If I'm a college student designing a website for a company as an internship, should I do reseller hosting or just get their information and let them deal with it?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 19, 2015

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Grump posted:

If I'm a college student designing a website for a company as an internship, should I do reseller hosting or just get their information and let them deal with it?

You should probably create an account in their name, be sure to use a contact that is semi-permanent at that company too.
This way if you lose contact with them after your internship, they still have control of their hosting account.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Grump posted:

If you have the option to put "currently running a small business hosting for multiple clients for X years" on your resume after college I would certainly put some thought in to doing it. Obviously it depends on the situation. It's been a while since I was in college but I hear nowadays people leaving school have a hard time finding a job without 2 years experience already.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I migrated my site from GoDaddy (poo poo) to ApisNetworks on a developer level account. What web log analyzers are you guys using with the freedom allowed with the Apis developer level account? Seems as though you can't use webalizer because you don't have permissions required to `make install`, but I haven't tried copying a precompiled binary over and running it out of a folder in my home dir. Best option to set up a cron task on a local machine to pull the log file and parse it?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BlackMK4 posted:

I migrated my site from GoDaddy (poo poo) to ApisNetworks on a developer level account. What web log analyzers are you guys using with the freedom allowed with the Apis developer level account? Seems as though you can't use webalizer because you don't have permissions required to `make install`, but I haven't tried copying a precompiled binary over and running it out of a folder in my home dir. Best option to set up a cron task on a local machine to pull the log file and parse it?

./configure --prefix=/home/whatever/your/jailed/thing/is/webalizer

make install tries to copy into /usr/bin or something by default

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Biowarfare posted:

./configure --prefix=/home/whatever/your/jailed/thing/is/webalizer

make install tries to copy into /usr/bin or something by default

Eh, figured out I don't have to install it. Just use the binary compiled with make. Thanks :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 20, 2015

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Hadlock posted:

If you have the option to put "currently running a small business hosting for multiple clients for X years" on your resume after college I would certainly put some thought in to doing it. Obviously it depends on the situation. It's been a while since I was in college but I hear nowadays people leaving school have a hard time finding a job without 2 years experience already.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking, but I don't completely understand reseller hosting.

I'll PM the dude who runs Lithium and ask him.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 20, 2015

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

BlackMK4 posted:

Eh, figured out I don't have to install it. Just use the binary compiled with make. Thanks :)

--prefix=/usr/local is standard practice. Although, it depends on your medium. I know for the KB, which is built on WordPress, I've relied on Jetpack that works well to discriminate bots from humans. Webalizer, Analog, and AWStats (the big free 3) have been rather dormant for some time ceding to bigger commercial players in the market, chiefly Google Analytics and other value-added services that provide bundled analytics.

I'd just stick Google Analytics into your site and go from there. You'll get a better resolution of visitor traffic over Webalizer/Analog/AWStats that provide only baseline traffic, i.e. how many spam bots have pulverized your site in the last 24 hours.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

DarkLotus posted:

WOOT! OpenSSL security updates issued!

Updates for OpenSSL were just released to address various security vulnerabilities, some of which they consider high priority and it is recommended that you update as soon as possible.
(Please keep an eye open for vendor / control panel updates that are related to these updates in the coming days.)

Official Link:
https://openssl.org/news/secadv_20150319.txt

Patch is now up for Ubuntu 14.04LTS

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Croc Monster posted:

And Debian, from what I can tell.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Croc Monster posted:

Still no CentOS or CloudLinux ...
No real surprise there :q:

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Oopsie doodle...

Press release

Edit: better quality discussion of folks still silly enough to use them via WHT

nem fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 1, 2015

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

nem posted:

Oopsie doodle...

Press release

Edit: better quality discussion of folks still silly enough to use them via WHT

Well if you can't murder your enemies, hacking their myspace is the next best thing.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
http://www.businessinsider.com/gotham-city-research-on-endurance-international-2015-4

"In fact, it seems that theCompany is characterized by low quality products, low quality subscribers, mediocre/poor technology platforms."

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I saw A Small Orange mentioned in the OP. Thought I would share my two cents since I worked for them for roughly 2 years.

Working for them was better when I first started out. This was before the CEO left after finishing the merger with EIG. They have completely independent staffing of the other EIG brands but sometimes techs would be pulled off to work on HostGator's mess of support. HG was up to 1000+ tickets and a week response time at that point before we had to go bail them out. The tech/management team is actually pretty skilled and know what they are doing but support has a very very high turnover rate. Some of the new management and team blow hard as they came over from EIG. The internal pay was terrible and not competitive. Add that to the fact ASO has 4 different hosting brands under them to support as well.

More and more corporate EIG policies were sneaking in and making things go downhill. While they were great and perhaps are still okay, I would not expect that to last many years.

The only service I would recommend with them upon my departure would be the VPS plans. If you have an existing VPS plan and see their promos that happen a few times a year for 2x the ram, CPU, or disk - you can have that changed to your existing plan. Same thing with price adjustments, they will modify it for you. I've seen people spend $45 a month or less for a VPS with 10gb of ram, 4 cores, and 100gb SSD space with cPanel/r1soft playing that game.

poxin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 1, 2015

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm shopping around for a place to host an app I've been working on, and I'd like some clarification of my options from anyone who knows better. My web pages aren't huge or anything, it's important to me that my server is able to do the calculations my customers send to it. Nothing too crazy, maybe the equivalent of a poorly optimized WordPress site, I'd just like to make sure that it doesn't get sluggish if a large number of people use it at once (for me a large number would be 20-50).

Now I gather this means I'll need a VPS at the very least, but I'm not sure what I should make of the resources I'll need.

Are all of the cores I see advertised created equal?

How much power is 'about equal to what you'd be expected to use with shared hosting, but in a VPS so more reliable' to give me some idea of what the numbers mean. I'm guessing 2 cores/2GB creates a similar experience to serving from most shared plans, but I may be way off or they're not at all comparable.

Of the sites listed in the OP, OVH seems cheaper for the features they offer, is there anything I should look out for there?

If I'm more calculation constrained, is there an advantage for me to be on an SSD?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Cloud VPS plan from OVH due to the price and scalability. Like I said though, I don't really know what I'm doing, so any input is much appreciated.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i have almost 30 dedicated servers at ovh, it is very good ($120/m for 192GB ram, 16-32 cores, HW raid) - and they happily tank attacks for you at no cost

only thing to note is that you will have absolutely zero human empathy: terminations, suspensions are automated; your servers will be powered off at midnight GMT if you miss paying your bill. 5 days after that, it will be irrevocably wiped. full automation.

same thing; no arguing with support, they won't|can't|etc do anything for you

IP SWIP, RDNS, netblock allocation (after approval) is automated in panel. Moving IPs between machines is automated in panel. Reboots, KVM over IP, OS install, etc is automated in panel. Expect little to no support. Hardware failures are auto reported by the chassis or whatever the hell BMC they use; they will replace your poo poo automatically, so don't be running raid 0 or anything

Impotence fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 10, 2015

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the breakdown of your experience. It sounds like it's worth trying out if I can remain punctual and know what I'm doing.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Just stick whatever it is on a $5/mo digitalocean instance and see how it handles it tbh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

Just stick whatever it is on a $5/mo digitalocean instance and see how it handles it tbh

I was honestly a little shocked at how well my $7/mo 1CPU 1GB RAM VPS (cheapest available in 2013) handled 200 simultaneous users in Mumble (voip client) with max audio quality; modern technology is pretty amazing. I never once cracked 10% CPU usage. It's probably even better now.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I was honestly a little shocked at how well my $7/mo 1CPU 1GB RAM VPS (cheapest available in 2013) handled 200 simultaneous users in Mumble (voip client) with max audio quality; modern technology is pretty amazing. I never once cracked 10% CPU usage. It's probably even better now.

You could run a busy Mumble server on a toaster some BOFH hacked to run NetBSD back in 1999. It's very efficient software.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Supplanter posted:

Of the sites listed in the OP, OVH seems cheaper for the features they offer, is there anything I should look out for there?

I'd suggest buying a cheap rear end server from them to test things out. I bought a beefy server, was working on installing the os and the IPMI kept making GBS threads out on me. Their system automatically locks access to the IPMI and creates a service ticket "intervention" and you're stuck until their tech can get in and look at the issue. You literally cannot access IPMI while they have an intervention ticket. They just put it back in their rescue mode and I have to start over. This has happened 3 times and one time in addition to those I just got dropped out and then an intervention ticket was created for an electric connector. No explanation has been provided about those issues and all support tickets take at least 24 hours to get an answer.

I've requested a refund and have been denied because everything is working fine with their system.

I'm out ~$400 and have no interest in doing business with them due to their shiity system and support that gives no fucks about you or your situation.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
turn off rtm and monitoring and uatomatic intervention when doing OS installs, or anything that will make it stop responding to arp or ping

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

OVH took two months to reply to their own authentication email, no thanks.

They're OK for loving around, but I'd rather gently caress around elsewhere now.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

I'd suggest buying a cheap rear end server from them to test things out. I bought a beefy server, was working on installing the os and the IPMI kept making GBS threads out on me. Their system automatically locks access to the IPMI and creates a service ticket "intervention" and you're stuck until their tech can get in and look at the issue. You literally cannot access IPMI while they have an intervention ticket. They just put it back in their rescue mode and I have to start over. This has happened 3 times and one time in addition to those I just got dropped out and then an intervention ticket was created for an electric connector. No explanation has been provided about those issues and all support tickets take at least 24 hours to get an answer.

I've requested a refund and have been denied because everything is working fine with their system.

I'm out ~$400 and have no interest in doing business with them due to their shiity system and support that gives no fucks about you or your situation.

I was just getting ready to drop my cash, but you guys are giving me second thoughts. I really like OVH's promise of 24 hour backups, the ability to upgrade immediately from a control panel (especially since I'm not really sure how much power I need), and having a web control panel itself is a nice bonus. I could probably manage without a control panel, but I've always had some kind of control panel, or a server guy.

But if that stuff means I can't get ahold of someone when my poo poo's not working then it's not really worth it to me. I'll probably just go with Lithium VPS ( I'll bet that was your plan all along, Dark Lotus :argh: ). I assume there's not much hassle to upgrading my VPS plan if I find I need more power? Anyway, I'll take any more questions to the respective CD threads.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buyvm.net has a wonderful, custom control panel for their KVM servers, fast ticket response, an active irc channel, ponies, and snappy hardware. Check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I want to use github's user pages tools to create my webpage, but have my domain names that I got through register.com redirect to my username.github.io page. I got it working for a couple hours but then it went down. I think the problem is that I don't know the real difference between the A file and the CNAME file, despite re-reading github's guides several times.

How can I make https://www.mydomain.me / mydomain.com / mydomain.net all redirect to myname.github.io? I've gotten as far as getting a GitHub-branded 404 page to show up when I go to mydomain.me but that's it.