Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Assuming the aforementioned 400 pounds, and assuming that goons are about as dense as the average block of concrete, I'm going to guess the block is about 5'10".

Look at all these goons getting so upset over a few hundred pounds :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah we're all beside ourselves with anger over this.

edit: I did a little research and if he used the ratio I found of 1:3:3 cement:sand:aggregate, he could easily get a 400+ pound block from an 80 pound bag of cement. I had no idea the ratio was that high.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 20, 2015

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
JET FUEL CANNOT MELT STEEL

NONE OF THIS ADDS UP WHY ARE YOU LYING????

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

You said a bag of concrete. 400 lbs would be 5 bags. So is it 400 lbs or 80?

Jesus, as much as I'm in awe that the motorcycle anchor de-rail has gone on so long, can everyone stop sperging about the weight. If you don't believe him just up and say "I don't believe it weighs that much" But no, Goons gotta ask leading question like Perry loving Mason thinking they can trap Nemesis into some sort of self-incrimination like any of it matters.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

flosofl posted:

But no, Goons gotta ask leading questions like Perry loving Mason thinking they can trap Nemesis into some sort of self-incrimination like any of it matters.

It's not the destination but the journey that matters. :allears:

~400 pounds is more of a deterrent defense. I think I could pick up that block.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Just ride the motorcycle with the block dragging behind you.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DNova posted:

Just ride the motorcycle with the block dragging behind you.

JustCause2.gif

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
And now for something much lighter:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, that's a pretty big fuckup.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
At least it's only a four screw fix.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Given there rest of the thread, he'll probably drill the rivets out of the ladder and then reattach the rung with electrical tape.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
You've got it all wrong. That wasn't an accident, that's his ladder theft deterrent system.

It's ~400 pounds of lumber.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dragyn posted:

You've got it all wrong. That wasn't an accident, that's his ladder theft deterrent system.

It's ~400 pounds of lumber.

Why is this one guy such an object of ridicule? Who among you has not installed a 400lb block of concrete in the house you rent?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Holy poo poo. loving goons gotta be all goony about everything.

So, my office is getting renovated and apparently no one checked the color of the new baseboards against the wall color. The wall is kind of a blueish grey, and the baseboards... well they are basically a sickly yellow. Its sad and looks nasty which i suppose is a crappy design tale thread topic, but if there is a thread like that its most likely full of smug bastards not like all you upstanding fine folks in here. Then I opened my server room door and found a 4000000 pound block of uranium which i used to secure my servers with laser rope.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Who among you has not installed a 400lb block of concrete in the house you rent?

Glass house, rental agreement specifically states "no stones".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Now I wanna see someone make an exactly 400lb concrete cube so we can carefully examine its dimensions and enter them into evidence.

Wait, does concrete change mass when it hardens? I guess it would absorb some of the water right? This is important.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wait, does concrete change mass when it hardens? I guess it would absorb some of the water right? This is important.
Worse: it's porous, so its weight can change if there's been rain recently.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Now I wanna see someone make an exactly 400lb concrete cube so we can carefully examine its dimensions and enter them into evidence.

Technology lets us be lazy:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=400+lbs+%2F+density+of+concrete

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cube+with+a+volume+of+5.82+cubic+feet

A 400 lb cube of average density (presumably dry) concrete, according to wherever Wolfram gets their data, would be slightly under 21.6 inches on each side. There is quite a range listed to density though, it could be halved or doubled from the median and still not be at either extreme.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

Technology lets us be lazy:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=400+lbs+%2F+density+of+concrete

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cube+with+a+volume+of+5.82+cubic+feet

A 400 lb cube of average density (presumably dry) concrete, according to wherever Wolfram gets their data, would be slightly under 21.6 inches on each side. There is quite a range listed to density though, it could be halved or doubled from the median and still not be at either extreme.

dammit my urianum won't fit guys you might have caught me in a bit of a fabrication... I'll try to become a better example to others.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4000000+lbs+%2F+density+of+uranium

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LiquidCatnip posted:

dammit my urianum won't fit guys you might have caught me in a bit of a fabrication... I'll try to become a better example to others.

I trusted you!

:cripes:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LiquidCatnip posted:

I don't know, assuming 8 feet floor to ceiling that block of uranium would have only needed to be a bit larger than 20x20 feet. It works well enough as long as by "server room" you meant datacenter and not closet where the servers and mops are. Bump it up to osmium and you cut it down to just over 18x18.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

I don't know, assuming 8 feet floor to ceiling that block of uranium would have only needed to be a bit larger than 20x20 feet. It works well enough as long as by "server room" you meant datacenter and not closet where the servers and mops are. Bump it up to osmium and you cut it down to just over 18x18.

I totally meant osmium.

For fake realsies.

gotta love that glow yo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LiquidCatnip posted:

I totally meant osmium.

For fake realsies.

gotta love that glow yo.

I just use a speck of dust from a neutron star.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4000000+lbs+%2F+density+of+neutron+star

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

One of the old Superfriends episodes included a softball-sized fragment of neutron star that Superman ended up pitching into the sun at the end. If you weighed 100kg and stood 1m away from that thing, you'd experience a gravitational force of about 200 kilonewtons, or about 20400 gravities. Ouch. On the flipside, adding that much mass to the Sun wouldn't really affect it in any way, it'd just plunge to the center and sit there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the old Superfriends episodes included a softball-sized fragment of neutron star that Superman ended up pitching into the sun at the end. If you weighed 100kg and stood 1m away from that thing, you'd experience a gravitational force of about 200 kilonewtons, or about 20400 gravities. Ouch. On the flipside, adding that much mass to the Sun wouldn't really affect it in any way, it'd just plunge to the center and sit there.

see this is a great educational derail

HA LET THEM STEAL MY SERVERS NOW PITIABLE MORTALS

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

If I've done my math right (and remembered chemistry correctly), fully cured portland cement should increase in weight by about 25% compared to dry compound, so 80lbs would become 100lbs. There are a couple things that mitigate it in this scenario, though. First, an 80lb bag of quikrete is mostly sand and aggregate; it's not more than 10-15lbs of portland cement by weight (so only 4lbs of water would be added). Second, to fully cure, the cement needs to be kept moist for around one year. If it was kept moist for less than a week, it's likely less than 75% cured, maybe as low as 50%, so an 80lb bag of quikrete likely comes out to about 82 pounds of concrete after it's dried.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Chain your bike to the Hoover dam.

Or use the collective power of goon to solve your bike security problems:

Consider constructing a remote control plane that fires spears at potential bike thieves (FLIR required).

Consider putting your bike halfway down a 800-foot-long, 12% grade zipline for security.

Consider putting a Wii console full of gunpowder on your bike.

Consider storing your bike at the bottom of a well.

Consider

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

LiquidCatnip posted:

I totally meant osmium.

For fake realsies.

gotta love that glow yo.

But what about the terrible smell? I guess the osmium'll get used to it.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

uwaeve posted:

Consider putting your bike halfway down a 800-foot-long, 12% grade zipline for security.

Nope, won't work. I wouldn't steal this guy's bike and concrete block but would totally ride that zipline and ride off into the sunset lauging maniacally

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uwaeve posted:

I forgot about that one.

apatite posted:

Nope, won't work. I wouldn't steal this guy's bike and concrete block but would totally ride that zipline and ride off into the sunset lauging maniacally
Nah, you'd be dead if you used that zip line. Like slam into the end support at 60mph dead.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This is the best derail ever. Stay tuned for the stunning conclusion of #cementgate

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

Relevant, this was a perfectly smooth, level, and uncracked patio before this last winter. I discovered it yesterday since the snow/ice finally melted away.

Not sure if this is a sign of being badly done or just bad luck with a nasty winter, but it doesn't seem like there's the stone I'd expect to find underneath the concrete so I'm leaning towards the former.

On the plus side, the sawn joints worked as god intended. On the negative side, it sure appears that a well drained stone base was not installed. Frost heave did that. When you put concrete on a poorly drained base (like dirt) then the moisture that the dirt holds will freeze and expand, generally upwards and gently caress up your concrete. This is a textbook example.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nice motorcycle anti-theft device, the patio furniture is a nice decoration for it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Nice motorcycle anti-theft device, the patio furniture is a nice decoration for it.

If my math is right each of those sections should be enough to secure one and a half motorcycles.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wolrah posted:

If my math is right each of those sections should be enough to secure one and a half motorcycles.

We can't count your answer unless you show your work.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LiquidCatnip posted:

:greencube:

I assumed it was a free-range server room.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

are you guys behaving in here?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SoundMonkey posted:

are you guys behaving in here?
Yep, we're good, thread is filled with concrete examples of the topic at hand.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

uwaeve posted:

Consider putting a Wii console full of gunpowder on your bike.

Wait when did this happen? Or was this the fingat series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

We can't count your answer unless you show your work.

Dammit, that crap always lost me points in school.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%286.5+feet+*+6.5+feet+*+2.5+inches%29+*+density+of+concrete