Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We're all dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Not me. And I"m not ever going to get old either

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

For what it's worth, Clawshrimpy was a lot more reasonable over Skype, and I feel part of why this always happens is that shrimpy's not very good at expressing his thoughts through writing. With that said, however, I feel shrimpy wasn't very honest to me, as some of the things shrimpy said in this thread directly contradicts what I was told.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
I thought about this for a bit since I saw that Clawshrimpy was back and since now he's been put on a break it's the perfect time for him to watch a few episodes.

Clawshrimpy! I really want you to check out Macross 7.

I don't remember if it was mentioned at all the last time you were here but I really think you'd get at least a kick out of it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Clawshrimpy have you watched Gunbuster? It sounds like your kind of thing. The characters have personal struggles but don't have big flaws of character and it is pretty short so you won't have to wait long to see them get over their issues.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

GimmickMan posted:

Clawshrimpy have you watched Gunbuster? It sounds like your kind of thing. The characters have personal struggles but don't have big flaws of character and it is pretty short so you won't have to wait long to see them get over their issues.

It a) has boobs in it and b) was made by Gainax so he probably hates it on principle.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

wateyad posted:

It a) has boobs in it and b) was made by Gainax so he probably hates it on principle.

I've seen Shrimpy take both stances on Gunbuster from my time on /m/. First -years ago- saying that it was the last Gainax production he liked, and then much later calling it trash that was just a Getter Robo rip-off.

Also

quote:

With that said, however, I feel shrimpy wasn't very honest to me, as some of the things shrimpy said in this thread directly contradicts what I was told.

He does that. One time I talked to him over AIM clearing up some false preconceptions he had about Build Fighters, but not long afterwards he was saying how the only way Z3-2 could be worse is if it had AGE or GBF in it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Steam posted:

I've seen Shrimpy take both stances on Gunbuster from my time on /m/. First -years ago- saying that it was the last Gainax production he liked, and then much later calling it trash that was just a Getter Robo rip-off.

Also

He does that. One time I talked to him over AIM clearing up some false preconceptions he had about Build Fighters, but not long afterwards he was saying how the only way Z3-2 could be worse is if it had AGE or GBF in it.

In fairness, I get the feeling that he's not trying to decieve, but he's afraid of conflict, so he just goes along with whatever you say to him even if he actually disagrees.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
This is still happening then, huh? Neat. Carry on.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Giant robots rule, discuss.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I agree.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

GorfZaplen posted:

Can do!

Playing SRW UX motivated me to finally get off my duff and watch Fafner: Heaven and Earth. Fun little movie, though I feel it greatly benefits from the fact that Exodus is now a thing that exists. Also, the Zero Fafner was a Jaeger before Jaegers were things that existed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I love Macross Frontier so much that it's hard to articulate why and makes me blind to its flaws. All I know is I can't help but get pumped up when this happens: https://youtu.be/aAWUue_Cf9g

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Steam posted:

Oh man, If he's into SRW I'd love to hear what he thinks about SRW W. Where Gaogaigar, Go Lion and Shin Getter Armageddon are all in it. And one of the big reveals is that G-Stone, GoLion and Getter Rays are actually the same source of power just interpreted differently.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

Oh man, If he's into SRW I'd love to hear what he thinks about SRW W. Where Gaogaigar, Go Lion and Shin Getter Armageddon are all in it. And one of the big reveals is that G-Stone, GoLion and Getter Rays are actually the same source of power just interpreted differently.

Or Z where they go out of their way to include every notable super robot series except GGG.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

To be fair with SRW that stuff can be left to the whims of the licensors.

Like back in the PSX days when they set up stuff with Giant Robo and welp can't use it anymore.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Potsticker posted:

I love Macross Frontier so much that it's hard to articulate why and makes me blind to its flaws. All I know is I can't help but get pumped up when this happens: https://youtu.be/aAWUue_Cf9g

Haven't seen it but I know the general gist of its plot and it's got great music (aside from AIMO but it was SRW Z2-2 that made me dread AIMO Hell). But at least there's Fire Bomber for amending that problem.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

Like back in the PSX days when they set up stuff with Giant Robo and welp can't use it anymore.

At least it gave us Alberto fighting one on one with Angels from Evangelion.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Srice posted:

SRW still has one of my favorite alternate takes with Evangelion with SRW MX an Alpha 3.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Srice posted:

Sad but true. And it sucks because Giant Robo's entire schtick in Alpha 1 was really just going "we're building up to something even bigger!" because the Shizuma Drive plot doesn't happen and Big Fire just decides to go quiet near the end of the game. Still, at least then there are those doujins done, like the Irui vs. Big Fire one and then Big Fire's cameo with helping finish of Son Ganlong in the Shin RyuOhKi manga.

One of the best things about SRW UX is that Heroman's contribution to the Demonbane plot is the closest we'll probably ever get to having Giant Robo in another SRW.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

clawshrimpy once made up a whole bunch of bullshit about a SRW game to fit his insane narrative of what is good and what is bad WRT robots, and when the forum he was on called him out on it he claimed "oh, i must have just played that one in my head then" as an honest to god excuse.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

SRW still has one of my favorite alternate takes with Evangelion with SRW MX an Alpha 3.

what are the takes in mx and a3?
i played through both and only recall happy ending stuff, specifically with the end of eva scenarios

thinking on that how come rom stohl isn't in any more srw games. machine robo is probably a terrible show but god drat that gimmick is great

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Fereydun posted:

what are the takes in mx and a3?
i played through both and only recall happy ending stuff, specifically with the end of eva scenarios

thinking on that how come rom stohl isn't in any more srw games. machine robo is probably a terrible show but god drat that gimmick is great

Alpha 3's version is less a version and just the bad guys trying to pull a "nuh-uh, we can still win!"

Long story short, the Alpha 1 Eva plot ends when the Londo Bell show up in time to keep Shinji from falling into despair, and then you take down the MP Angels. Third Impact is halted, NERV is cleared out aside for Gendou and Rei and he seals Terminal Dogma and it's just a case of "well, we can trust Gendou on this." However, this is still kinda odd and it also means you lose Rei for the rest of the game, so in the Dreamcast version of Alpha 1 you all realize "wait a second, Gendou's got all he needs to do Third Impact anyways" so you break into Terminal Dogma, stop him, and get Rei back. That's not canon, but they did draw on that for what happens in Alpha 3.

And what DOES happen is that Rei is inexplicably found at a military base with no memory of how she got there, and partway through the game Angels start popping up. Remiel (the one they needed the Positron Rifle for), and then Armiseal (the 16th, who actually hadn't appeared in Alpha 1), and near the end Zeruel. And we get to find out that the Angels were different incarnations that humanity could have taken, due to our super-duper ancient precursors known as the Sixth Culture/First Founding People (from Ideon/Evangelion's backstory). This is the civilization that was predecessors to even the Protoculture, and a lot of things they did that lead to subsequent races was because they were attempting to find some way to avert "Apocalypsis", a galaxy-wide extermination event that the STMC were just one facet of. The looming threat of Apocalypsis is reviving the Angels for some reason and they're attempting to test and see how humanity's going to respond to the threat, and at the same time SEELE brings back the MP Evas to try to force Instrumentality again.

They're more successful this time and cause Unit 01 to turn evil and all that, but fortunately the Alpha Numbers defeat it anyways and in the chaos that ensues Shinji ends up confronting dear ol' dad at the bottom of Terminal Dogma, where HE's trying to attempt Third Impact with a duplicate Unit 01 and his own MP Eva set. Asuka and also Kaworu (actually the Kaworu from SRW MX) show up to help, as to the Alpha Number again and Gendou's stopped. The end (of that plot).

That's about the gist of the Eva plot in Alpha 3.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Revolver Bunker posted:

Armageddon isn't in W actually, they used the generic "Shin Getter Robo Manga version", which usually means "TV Getter team gets the Shin Getter". I also don't really remember if the Getter Rays=G-Stones was actually a thing either. The Database (people from a previous universe) repeatedly mention that the previous universe's Getter was more dangerous and Getter Robo Armageddon-esque but I don't think they ever specifically tied Golion and the G-stones to Getter Robo.

Steam posted:

One of the best things about SRW UX is that Heroman's contribution to the Demonbane plot is the closest we'll probably ever get to having Giant Robo in another SRW.

Do tell.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Mamoru is Chirico done right."-Clawshrimpy

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Steam posted:

Sad but true. And it sucks because Giant Robo's entire schtick in Alpha 1 was really just going "we're building up to something even bigger!" because the Shizuma Drive plot doesn't happen and Big Fire just decides to go quiet near the end of the game. Still, at least then there are those doujins done, like the Irui vs. Big Fire one and then Big Fire's cameo with helping finish of Son Ganlong in the Shin RyuOhKi manga.

Did anyone ever scan in that Irui vs Big Fire manga? I've seen a few pages of it, but nothing complete. I have the Alpha 3 one, though it's incomplete and I haven't seen a full copy around anywhere convenient.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Motto posted:

"Mamoru is Chirico done right."-Clawshrimpy
I have begun laughing and fear I may never stop.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Well, Demonbane itself is very much inspired by old-school mecha and there are parallels between Black Lodge and the BF Group. Master Therion/Big Fire, Anticross/Magnificent Ten and all that. Joey's dynamic with Heroman is more or less what Daisaku's was with Robo, so go figure.

Joey gets roped into the start of the Demonbane plot for various reasons and Heroman helps fight off Black Lodge goons and Destroyer Robots so Kurou can get Demonbane, and additionally when most of your characters head off to Japan to take part in Linebarrels plot at JUDA, Kurou and Joey stay behind to help fight off the Skrugg invaders who are sorta entrenched in Los Angeles. During the Elsa/Demonpain event, Heroman fights Elsa briefly on-foot too. Tibeius also makes use of the Skrugg at some points, but I'm not sure if that's because he revived dead ones or simply was attacking at the same time. Don't think the Anticross was allied with them though. Joey also helps out Kurou during his first sortie after using the Elsa!Demonbane, alongside Joe from Tobikage. Lastly, the mission where Demonbane is restored to full power is the same one where the NIA outfits Heroman with his combat armor. So yeah, most Demonbane missions also feature Heroman to some extent.

Also, Dr. Minami from Heroman hates Dr. West and considers him his archrival... purely because Dr. West has no idea who Minami is. And when Dr. West defects to the protagonists, Dr. Minami takes over for him as Black Lodge's resident mad scientist.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Depressing, isn't it?
Yep.

I need to find my Giant Robo DVDs and re-watch them.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
250 replies? Let me s- :yikes:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm going to watch the poo poo out of Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still and nobody can stop me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do it.

I feel like I want to but I've seen it recently. Maybe I'll start watching Da-Garn.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Omnicrom posted:

Armageddon isn't in W actually, they used the generic "Shin Getter Robo Manga version", which usually means "TV Getter team gets the Shin Getter". I also don't really remember if the Getter Rays=G-Stones was actually a thing either. The Database (people from a previous universe) repeatedly mention that the previous universe's Getter was more dangerous and Getter Robo Armageddon-esque but I don't think they ever specifically tied Golion and the G-stones to Getter Robo.

Do tell.

You're right. I got confused with Shin Getter being in the game with Stoner Sunshine. I seem to recall there being a mission, possibly against the Z-Master where Getter and GGG both get powered up by Jupiter and they determine that the power source is memories (like how Getter rays are in Armageddon). Memories of Guy's parents and memories of each of the Musashi. I was pretty sure there was a part about that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

I'm going to watch the poo poo out of Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still and nobody can stop me.

Oh well in that case I guess I won't try, thanks for the warning

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

I am going to stop you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hey, don't watch it!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

250 replies? Let me s- :yikes:

Congrats on being like the 5th or 6th person to say that phrase.

Sakurazuka posted:

Do it.

I feel like I want to but I've seen it recently. Maybe I'll start watching Da-Garn.

Do it, it's good!

I think this weekend I'm gonna pick up from where I left off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey all.

HOLY poo poo ITS CLAWSHRIMPY

Anyway, I just wanted to check, there's still no sequel to Shin Mazinger is there?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
There's always Shin Mazinger Zero, which has had more chapters translated of late. I knew vaguely about some of the stuff that happened after chapter 8 or 9 (can't remember when the translations originally stopped), but uh, actually reading it kinda threw me. A lot.

• Locked thread