Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Nicotine is indeed an effective nootropic drug and has been proven in numerous studies to improve reaction time, driving performance, overnight memory and attention etc. Tobacco is harder to study since the method of delivery is usually smoking and there are many additives used, with different amount and varieties from brand to brand (and of course the source tobacco leaves and methods of processing also vary).

quote:

Whether those claims were actually true to any extent or just bunk delivered by opportunistic big tobacco hoping to recruit the recruits is another question.

This is actually two questions, and the answer is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Phanatic posted:

That's a myth.

Yes, boiling the wort to make beer necessarily sterilized it. But winemaking doesn't involve that step, and if you're just diluting your wine and your beer low concentrations to drink all day long you either need a clean source of water to dilute it with or you'll just keep getting sick; 3% alcohol concentrations aren't enough to stop most pathogens from growing, let alone kill them. Medieval people knew the difference between water you shouldn't drink and water it's probably okay to drink.

Food and beer historians:

http://leslefts.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/the-great-medieval-water-myth.html
https://zythophile.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/was-water-really-regarded-as-dangerous-to-drink-in-the-middle-ages/

this is a good rear end post and confirms by my hunch that the reason people drank so much beer is because drinking nothing but water is for desperate men or wackos

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 19, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
uhh, my subjects don't drink water

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah who the gently caress drinks rain

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So much more makes sense when I remember that literally nobody I study except Pappenheim spends any large amount of time sober

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

So much more makes sense when I remember that literally nobody I study except Pappenheim spends any large amount of time sober

Isn't this because dealing with the Germans has driven the Spaniards to drink?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xthetenth posted:

Isn't this because dealing with the Germans has driven the Spaniards to drink?

I fail to see how this is a uniquely Spanish issue.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Keldoclock posted:

Nicotine is indeed an effective nootropic drug and has been proven in numerous studies to improve reaction time, driving performance, overnight memory and attention etc. Tobacco is harder to study since the method of delivery is usually smoking and there are many additives used, with different amount and varieties from brand to brand (and of course the source tobacco leaves and methods of processing also vary).

This is actually two questions, and the answer is yes.

To be a little clearer I agreed that nicotine is a stimulant. As far as I know, however, cigarettes were not prescribed to soldiers to actually improve combat performance by boosting reaction times and the like. Instead its supposed therapeutic purpose of easing stress was pushed by tobacco companies on to active soldiers and decision makers in the US, that's the effect I doubted.

Easing stress, anxiety and tension is more the realm of sedative drugs than it is for stimulants. Nicotine in particular, raises one's pulse and blood pressure ontop of increasing arousal levels. While nicotine is considered a stimulant/relaxant (Nesbitt's Paradox) its sedative effects due to endorphin release are both very temporary and require the user to take higher doses. Taking higher doses worsens nicotine's later side effects, irritability, headache, tachycardia, pain and tremor. Nicotine's most sedative application actually cannot be acheived by cigarettes either. It seems more like tobacco companies invented a use for cigarettes on very shaky grounds to sell product since nicotine does as much (more really) to worsen stress as it does to ease it, all things considered.

e: this article explains things more clearly than I can.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 19, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

JaucheCharly posted:

I don't have a better pic handy, but there you go.

If everyone's fighting with pikes, what does that vertical bar over the forehead / nose protect against? Wouldn't you just get piked in the face?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

I fail to see how this is a uniquely Spanish issue.

yeah, that would drive anyone to drink

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's a set of hungarian cavalry armor. The bar protects your face from slashes.

You're looking for this.

Safe for the lancers it seems that full face protection wasn't worth it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

While researching something else entirely in newspaper archives, this peeked up at the top of the page.

The ad dates from June 17, 1862.

I'm actually surprised that this wasn't an empty promise; the 21st apparently stayed with Jackson through his death.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

It counts only loosely as a performance enhancing drug, but when my grandfather was in the Navy they told him to smoke to keep the mosquitoes off, so he wouldn't get malaria.

Was he serving in Asia? It's possible that someone noticed the mosquito coils that people used there (and still do!) as an insect repellent and thought that cigarettes might have a similar effect.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

hard counter posted:

e: this article explains things more clearly than I can.

What a shame then, that it is $38 to read :argh:

On the bright side, I found some of those WWI ads you mentioned.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Was he serving in Asia? It's possible that someone noticed the mosquito coils that people used there (and still do!) as an insect repellent and thought that cigarettes might have a similar effect.
North Africa and the Mediterranean; he was Italian. I think the idea is that nicotine kills them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

heroin was originally synthesised as a combat drug iirc, thence the name

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember hearing somewhere that bladed weapons called "messer" just means knife in German, and the reason for this was that the laws of the land stopped certain people from carrying longer blades and the "messer" being technically a long knife was a loophole to get around this? I might be wrong but that's why I'm asking.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

In France, some of the Friendly Feldwebel's comrades do their bit to reinforce the German army's reputation for oafishness. Winston Churchill gets to report yesterday's action at the Dardanelles to the War Council, lucky him. Does it matter if the story about the Ottoman forts running out of ammo is true or not? The Telegraph still doesn't seem to have published a casualty list from Neuve Chapelle, and the various British industrial disputes continue.

HEY GAL posted:

uhh, my subjects don't drink water

https://youtu.be/ujpnXoMeXmY?t=1m13s

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kanine posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that bladed weapons called "messer" just means knife in German, and the reason for this was that the laws of the land stopped certain people from carrying longer blades and the "messer" being technically a long knife was a loophole to get around this? I might be wrong but that's why I'm asking.

My understanding is it was not so much the length that made it a knife, but some stuff but having to do with it being single edged and the way the hilt and grip were constructed. So a peasant could legally carry it in places where true swords were reserved for the upper classes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

V. Illych L. posted:

heroin was originally synthesised as a combat drug iirc, thence the name

Bwuh?

They were trying to synthesize codeine and developed a compound that was stronger than that. Heroisch -> heroin.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

P-Mack posted:

My understanding is it was not so much the length that made it a knife, but some stuff but having to do with it being single edged and the way the hilt and grip were constructed. So a peasant could legally carry it in places where true swords were reserved for the upper classes.

A sword by their definition has the tang go through the handle and then the handle is riveted on with the pommel. A messer has a hilt constructed like a kitchen knife where the handle is riveted onto the tang. By any other definition a messer is a sword since it was used similarly to any other single edged one handed sword.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Now I'm thinking of a 40-in long santoku being swung around frantically.

"I'LL MAKE RATATOUILLE OUT OF YOU HEATHEN BASTARDS"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A sword by their definition has the tang go through the handle and then the handle is riveted on with the pommel. A messer has a hilt constructed like a kitchen knife where the handle is riveted onto the tang. By any other definition a messer is a sword since it was used similarly to any other single edged one handed sword.

Thanks. I do some messer fencing and they certainly feel pretty swordy.
I'm wondering now if there was any clear distinction to be found between messers made for cutting brush around the farm and messers for cutting unlucky soldners around the farm.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

On the topic of tabacco ads and the military, I've always liked these pictures (Atlantikwall near The Hague I believe)

I wonder how effective it was though...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mildly silly question:

Suppose you were an individual with superhuman strength and/or agility, what sort of medieval weaponry would you use?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Mildly silly question:

Suppose you were an individual with superhuman strength and/or agility, what sort of medieval weaponry would you use?

Goddamn 7 foot long Claymore. Thats what.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

Mildly silly question:

A longbow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Carry a goddamn cannon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fangz posted:

Mildly silly question:

How rich are you?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

It really depends on what you mean. In a particular sense, you could build an arbalest that would be patently impossible for a normal human to load without a windlass, but that you could load by mere arm strength or with a crow's foot lever. That would be something. Alternatively you could just roll out in impossibly thick plate harness with a halberd or pollaxe, and just wreck everybody from behind that invulnerable armor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I still say nobody fucks with someone who hipfires a cannon.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If its superhuman agility, just a rapier, a buckler, and a spear. If its strength, plate thick enough to stop muskets, a large sword (like The Mountain in Game of Thrones), and a hip cannon with grapeshot.

Basically either guy from the Oberyn vs Mountain duel from Game of Thrones. But add a cannon.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What if the superhuman's prowess only works on TF2?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FAUXTON posted:

I still say nobody fucks with someone who hipfires a cannon.

Except for an exploding cannon. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The correct answer is to be superhumanly agile, and thus the weapon is "all of them at once".

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Just juggle all the weapons using your superhuman dexterity, and throw them at people with superhuman strength when they get into range of your superhuman vision.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would pick super resistance, so I could eat and drink any poo poo and sleep with all women and/or farm animals I can find on the campaign trail without succumbing to plague.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

Carry a goddamn cannon.

Blood Meridian was a good book, agreed.

Kaal posted:

Just juggle all the weapons using your superhuman dexterity, and throw them at people with superhuman strength when they get into range of your superhuman vision.

Never have to pay for whores because you're a superhuman lover.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nenonen posted:

I would pick super resistance, so I could eat and drink any poo poo and sleep with all women and/or farm animals I can find on the campaign trail without succumbing to plague.

What about super regeneration so you can do all of the above and also never die on the field of battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Eej posted:

What about super regeneration so you can do all of the above and also never die on the field of battle.

Of course, getting wounded is still in.

• Locked thread