Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Slavvy posted:

Yes you are. Ignorance of the facts doesn't absolve you. You personally might not be a terrible oval office but someone, somewhere is suffering or will eventually suffer because you bought one and drove it instead of doing the responsible thing and destroying it at the earliest opportunity. Whether it be the mechanic that has to deal with it when it inevitably breaks, or the panel shop when it's crashed, or even the next owner after you who doesn't realise what they're getting into. Every time a modern VAG rolls off the production line, the world becomes a darker place. I've never 'hated' any brand of vehicle unanimously before working on VAGs because I try to look at things in a balanced and realistic way. Yes, GM and ford and so on are poo poo, but not in a universal, blanket way where every single vehicle is a festering turd with no redeeming qualities.

Slavvy posted:

Yes you are. Ignorance of the facts doesn't absolve you. You personally might not be a terrible oval office but someone, somewhere is suffering or will eventually suffer because you bought one and drove it instead of doing the responsible thing and destroying it at the earliest opportunity. Whether it be the mechanic that has to deal with it when it inevitably breaks, or the panel shop when it's crashed, or even the next owner after you who doesn't realise what they're getting into. Every time a modern VAG rolls off the production line, the world becomes a darker place. I've never 'hated' any brand of vehicle unanimously before working on VAGs because I try to look at things in a balanced and realistic way. Yes, GM and ford and so on are poo poo, but not in a universal, blanket way where every single vehicle is a festering turd with no redeeming qualities.

Slavvy posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Don't you have a Scirocco or a Jetta or something?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Raluek posted:

You act like AI isn't a refuge for masochists

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

8ender posted:

I drive an Audi :( We're not all bad people

My morning commute says otherwise.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Raluek posted:

Sciroccos are fine cars and built to a far better quality standard then modern Audis. :colbert:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
HURRR everyone who buys an Audi is an rear end in a top hat and worthless and oh god this division of VAG makes me so ANGRY!

You people might actually be worse than console warriors.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

eyebeem posted:

HURRR everyone who buys an Audi is an rear end in a top hat and worthless and oh god this division of VAG makes me so ANGRY!

I'll change mine to everyone who buys a newer Audi in So Cal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eyebeem posted:

You're right. You might as well get angry at the sky for being blue, or water for being wet, it does as much good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I drive an Audi :( We're not all bad people

I know, I was mostly joking ;)

Except for the Audis after 1992 part. That was no joke.

Slavvy posted:

:catstare: What have I unleashed.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
STi attacked by a crow:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=46655.0%3btopicseen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My car was attacked by a canadian goose once, I had just parked it near some bushes and my wife and I figured it had a nest in there it was trying to defend.

Logic doesn't seem to be a goose's strong suit, I respect that go-getter attitude but there probably wasn't much it could do against a ton of steel and glass if someone really wanted to hurt the nest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

My car was attacked by a canadian goose once, I had just parked it near some bushes and my wife and I figured it had a nest in there it was trying to defend.

Logic doesn't seem to be a goose's strong suit, I respect that go-getter attitude but there probably wasn't much it could do against a ton of steel and glass if someone really wanted to hurt the nest.

When I was a toddler, my mom and I visited the zoo, and a Canadian goose decided that it wanted to chase me and bite. My mom walked over and calmly broke its neck with a kick and then threw the goose in a bush.

She never told me this story until like a decade or so later after she'd had a little bit too much wine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was a toddler, my mom and I visited the zoo, and a Canadian goose decided that it wanted to chase me and bite. My mom walked over and calmly broke its neck and threw it in a bush.

Flawless Victory

For some reason or another, my green Mk 3 Jetta TDI was the popular target for birds to poo poo on. I'd come out every day and there'd be at least ten new piles of crap on my hood and roof.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A sparrow flew right in front of my Titan one day while I was driving. I couldn't tell if I'd hit it or not, and forgot all about it soon after. When I got home, my daughter got out of the truck, walked in front of it to get to the door of the house, and started crying hysterical tears of ultimate sadness. The stupid bird was lodged in the grill, rear end out, little bird legs jutting out behind it.

It was pretty funny.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience, parking near trees is a great way to get your car poo poo on. I tend to put my car as far away from trees as possible. At the very least, I won't park under a tree.

Trees are also a great way to get your car buried in tree bukake in the spring.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

A sparrow flew right in front of my Titan one day while I was driving. I couldn't tell if I'd hit it or not, and forgot all about it soon after. When I got home, my daughter got out of the truck, walked in front of it to get to the door of the house, and started crying hysterical tears of ultimate sadness. The stupid bird was lodged in the grill, rear end out, little bird legs jutting out behind it.

It was pretty funny.

I'm going to directly quote this story, because I've told it before, and because it's relevant.

A guy I know posted:

So my buddy picked up a Z31 300ZX for free from a farmer’s field. After he was done driving it home, we started to pull it apart to give it a solid cleaning which is when we realized the entire car is massive rust holes. The floorpans were basically held together only with carpet and the firewall, with massive 3-4 inch holes running alongside the frame rails on each side.

Deciding that the shell must now be trashed, we set out on a search to get a replacement shell. We ended up finding one in BC (a 7 hour drive away) and my buddy contacted the owner, who reassured him that the car features no fiberglass, doesn’t leak and has never been crashed.

Off we go one hot July morning in a borrowed Ram (after a small incident having to rewire and reinflate the tires of the rented U-Haul ghetto trailer). A few hours into the drive, we take out a flock of birds on the highway, with one particularly intrepid bird punching a hole into the AC condenser with its skull.

On the ferry between the mainland and the island with the 300ZX, I notice that the various assorted hippies are staring at us and our truck in mild horror. Figuring it’s just them being unfamiliar with a trailer-equipped Alberta-plated Ram, I step out of the truck to get some fresh air and realize that the truck is not only caked in blood and feathers but that there are still parts of birds crammed between the grille and shattered AC condenser, dripping blood onto the ferry floor. I increase my distance from the truck and rapidly disappear into the ferry’s bathroom.

When we get there (after a high-speed mountain-road episode with a deer) we realize that the car is stuck in the middle of a swamp, the dude is nowhere to be found, and the car is fiberglassed, rotten, filled with water, crooked, and carries stickers from a collision repair shop in the city we lived in and just drove seven hours away from. We go home empty-handed.

Still not the worst car purchase I’ve ever attempted.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

eyebeem posted:

It was pretty funny.

A grouse did a hopeless little dance in front of my oncoming car one afternoon on a gravel road, and I heard a solid "thock" noise. Close to 40km of rough washboard later I stop and..

Ah! Wow! How?

It was perfect. It was like that website where people post pictures of things that fit perfectly into other things. A grouse head = gap in 940 dam. I left it there overnight, drove back the same gravel road the next day, thinking it would fall off, and no, it did not.

I had thought it would be a beheading to get it out, but it just "unhooked" with a tap on the beak, as if the whole volvo had be designed exclusively to retrieve grouse from backroads.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Never gently caress with crows, they remember you and tell other crows if your an rear end in a top hat. That guy must have pissed off a crow at some point.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was a toddler, my mom and I visited the zoo, and a Canadian goose decided that it wanted to chase me and bite. My mom walked over and calmly broke its neck with a kick and then threw the goose in a bush.

She never told me this story until like a decade or so later after she'd had a little bit too much wine.

I have never understood why geese are such assholes when they have that giant easy to grab/break neck. Also, geese are loving assholes and fully support killing them.

Also, while I understand all of the VAG hate, I have never appreciated my tdi JSW more than I do now. Took it to the body shop yesterday to get some body damage repaired(rear end in a top hat pulled out of a parking spot into the side of me) and the only rental I could get was a new silver corolla. It is terrible to drive, everything feels numb, transmission(4spd auto in 2015? really toyota?) sucks compared to the DSG I am used to and the interior is terrible. I would rather drive a early 1990 corolla automatic that my stepdad has than this thing. I just hope they get my car fixed quickly or else I am going to have to go in and demand a different rental. Also, how the gently caress are they only getting 132 HP out of a 1.8l engine? Only 20hp more than a 4age with an extra 200cc and ~30 years of tech?

vvv True, forgot about the measurement changes. 132HP is still pretty terrible by todays standards vvv

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Negromancer posted:

Never gently caress with crows, they remember you and tell other crows if your an rear end in a top hat. That guy must have pissed off a crow at some point.

I have never understood why geese are such assholes when they have that giant easy to grab/break neck. Also, geese are loving assholes and fully support killing them.

Also, while I understand all of the VAG hate, I have never appreciated my tdi JSW more than I do now. Took it to the body shop yesterday to get some body damage repaired(rear end in a top hat pulled out of a parking spot into the side of me) and the only rental I could get was a new silver corolla. It is terrible to drive, everything feels numb, transmission(4spd auto in 2015? really toyota?) sucks compared to the DSG I am used to and the interior is terrible. I would rather drive a early 1990 corolla automatic that my stepdad has than this thing. I just hope they get my car fixed quickly or else I am going to have to go in and demand a different rental. Also, how the gently caress are they only getting 132 HP out of a 1.8l engine? Only 20hp more than a 4age with an extra 200cc and ~30 years of tech?

There was a time in the early 2000s when the idea of SAE certified horsepower came about and the Japanese companies all ended up re-rating their horsepower ratings lower. So chances are that 4AGE/B18/whatever didn't actually have that much power.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Raluek posted:

Yea but I wasnt really that serious I just thought his post was funny. I do really, really hate B5 Audis though because one touched me in the wrong way and I still hate that car ten years later.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

I know, I was mostly joking ;)

Except for the Audis after 1992 part. That was no joke.

:catstare: What have I unleashed.

I disagree with your years. You can't exclude the audi s2.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

I disagree with your years. You can't exclude the audi s2.

Audi S2 was a 1990, so its 'upgraded' brother gets grandfathered in despite being produced til 1995.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
All Audis should only be sold de-badged, or with the badge replaced with that from either a base model or Skoda equivalent. That should weed out a fair number of the twats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

All Audis should only be sold de-badged, or with the badge replaced with that from either a base model or Skoda equivalent. That should weed out a fair number of the twats.

Can we do the same to Honda?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

How do you really feel?

Had to go around yet another shitheel sitting in the left lane doing 55 while texting this morning. I swear to god one of these days I'm just gonna snap and cut them off, stomp the brake and murder them.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 4, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Can we do the same to Honda?
I never really thought of Hondas being the kind of thing bought by people who do so out of badge snobbery?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Extra posted:

seek a mental health professional, but I'm sure this is just a "joke post"

Not really, sometimes I have some severe road rage. Good thing I take my pills every day.

Quick pick me up for the thread.

http://ktla.com/2015/03/18/2000-dead-snow-geese-fall-from-the-sky-in-idaho/

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I never really thought of Hondas being the kind of thing bought by people who do so out of badge snobbery?

Aound here they buy a Honda (Jazz) because it's a "nice" and "reliable" and "practical" car.

Bleh.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Honda's problem is that they've got a generic product line that people still like to think has sportscar pedigree because of a couple of halo cars they've made and their cars were good in the 80s.

Its not that different from Audi...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the manufacturers have a generic product line these days. The zippy hatchback, the budget sedan, the dad sedan, the minivan, the zippy SUV, the tank SUV, the cheap truck, and the expensive truck.

The only distinction to any of them is in what manner they fall apart.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

xzzy posted:

All the manufacturers have a generic product line these days. The zippy hatchback, the budget sedan, the dad sedan, the minivan, the zippy SUV, the tank SUV, the cheap truck, and the expensive truck.

The only distinction to any of them is in what manner they fall apart.

all cars are terrible

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda's problem is that they've got a generic product line that people still like to think has sportscar pedigree because of a couple of halo cars they've made and their cars were good in the 80s.

Its not that different from Audi...

Honda? Sportscar pedigree? Most people just think of them as boring yet reliable cars, something that has been around since the 80's.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Aound here they buy a Honda (Jazz) because it's a "nice" and "reliable" and "practical" car.

Bleh.
Oh, I didn't know you were in Eastbourne.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Honda? Sportscar pedigree? Most people just think of them as boring yet reliable cars, something that has been around since the 80's.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

Sciroccos are fine cars and built to a far better quality standard then modern Audis. :colbert:

Three words: Self Machining Transmission :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hey, it's all in the marketing.

That's actually called dynamic reduction in rotating mass leading to lower resistance to turning by the centrifugal forces of the drivetrain.

It's making the handling better by itself. your car doesn't make it's handling better by itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

This was specifically an issue on 01E 6 Speed, but yeah it was stupid. They should've redesigned the entire transmission isntead of just cramming a 6th gear into the 5 speed and hoping it would keep working. I'd love to have a sixth gear in the 90, but its not worth the risk of chewing out the transmission and the 5 speed is reliable.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Oh, I didn't know you were in Eastbourne.

No, worse - London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008