Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bowmore posted:

Sick mate, can't miss that ai

yeh hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Orkin Mang posted:

economic asylum barons getting ther jsut deserts
About time they clamped down on those donation scams and media tart lawyers.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

About time they clamped down on those donation scams and media tart lawyers.

i dunno man politicians are poo poo by and large but immigrants are ok almost always. most are ok, there just a few are butts. u got a bit harsh on them in this one post you made and i wondered.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

It basically lends weight to a lot of the allegations that have come out about sexual and physical abuse. So, frame that in your asylum seeker hating mind however you like.
Saying I hate is rather a hateful thing to say.

I believe I've expressed my views on these types of allegations in the past.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Saying I hate is rather a hateful thing to say.

I believe I've expressed my views on these types of allegations in the past.

Yeah, they're all made up. Then an independent review launched by the DIBP says, HEY THIS poo poo MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

But nope, you'll still go head in the sand on it because hey, not happening to you right? ;)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, they're all made up. Then an independent review launched by the DIBP says, HEY THIS poo poo MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

But nope, you'll still go head in the sand on it because hey, not happening to you right? ;)

nice saracasm very persuasive, dr blowhard

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

However, just to repeat myself I've previously stated that allegations should be investigated and where appropriate referred to the Nauru police. Furthermore, any person of authority in Nauru being investigated should not be charged with the care of any asylum seeker.

It still doesn't change anything though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't read the report its beyond hosed

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

However, just to repeat myself I've previously stated that allegations should be investigated and where appropriate referred to the Nauru police. Furthermore, any person of authority in Nauru being investigated should not be charged with the care of any asylum seeker.

it looks a bit like you have half a point but the other half is you hiding behind legalities and substituting them for moral axioms. come on man

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

You're implying that the Nauru legal system is fair, not wrought with corruption and willing to find against their largest financial benefactor in a court case. According the Nauru government, if the detention centre on Nauru closed they would be facing an unemployment crisis. And that's not even factoring into the equation that they are only in Nauru under detention by the Australian government and we have a legal obligation in regards to the duty of care towards those in such detention.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're implying that the Nauru legal system is fair, not wrought with corruption and willing to find against their largest financial benefactor in a court case. According the Nauru government, if the detention centre on Nauru closed they would be facing an unemployment crisis. And that's not even factoring into the equation that they are only in Nauru under detention by the Australian government and we have a legal obligation in regards to the duty of care towards those in such detention.

Pro-asylum seeker play book.

- Any country besides Australia is a corrupt, dystopian nightmare and must be shat on at each and every opportunity.

- OMG fear the lawyers picnic (they are campaigning for).

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

- Any country besides Australia is a corrupt, dystopian nightmare and must be shat on at each and every opportunity.

come on man

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Graic Gabtar posted:

- Every country is a corrupt, dystopian nightmare and it's a shame that people; no matter their race, religion, colour or creed; aren't treated in a humane and accepting fashion.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
You guys are aware that you can't use logic to drive someone out of a position that they didn't use logic to get into, right? You're completely wasting your time.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's called pragmatism. To put this into context for you, Nauru has no real internal economy since it's phosphorous mine ran dry and all they get are dregs and it has no tourism industry to speak of. Nauru as a nation relies on money and aid coming in from external governments, the majority of which comes from Australia, and they use the Australian Dollar for currency. They even rely on Australia for some supplies, including fresh water. A lot of the major profits they had from the phosphorous boom in the 60's was put into trust funds, but those have been mostly used up, spent on poorly performing foreign investments as well as paying for the costs of running the country. Most economists describe Nauru's economic situation as "near-bankrupt."

Nauru also has a major crisis already with employment. It had an unemployment rate of about 90% in 2004. Ninety percent, not 9, or 19, but 90. As of 2009, about 60% of it's GDP comes from services industries, such as the detention centre. In 2008, when the Rudd government closed the detention centre on Nauru, it was almost totally reliant on food imports and foreign aid.

Keeping the above in mind, that Nauru is in fact reliant on aid from Australia to function as a nation, do you really think they will "bite the hand that feeds them" and face very real and severe internal conflicts from the breakdown of government as a result?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's called pragmatism.
Pragmatism in auspol? Unheard of.

I dunno. Call me old fashioned but I think before we leap to the downfall of nations maybe we should give the rule of law a chance before we.... Sorry, what was your alternative?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

I dunno. Call me old fashioned but I think before we leap to the downfall of nations maybe we should give the rule of law a chance before we.... Sorry, what was your alternative?

Be humane, bring them to Australia and admit we hosed up. These people will likely be more grateful than yourself for the chance to live and work here. It's not like we're holding a few thousand detainees there. Are you really worried about the prospect of a couple of hundred people coming here and losing your precious slice of Australian pie?

You also avoided my question in my last post (You're such a dodgy mcdodgerton, always dodging questions). Do you really think Nauru would rule against the Australian government and find against the treatment of asylum seekers currently detained in Nauru?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Graic Gabtar posted:

Shutdown offshore processing?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I love Israel

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think the thread should take on a more Roman stature. Cartoon can be Cato. I can be Cicero.

Graic can be Julius Caesar.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Endman posted:

I think the thread should take on a more Roman stature. Cartoon can be Cato. I can be Cicero.

Graic can be Julius Caesar.

and Brutus?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Avshalom posted:

I love Israel

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
what the gently caress is this, you nerd? is this a game? you loving nerd. i've never even played a game. i'm not a game. i'm the real deal, you nerd, i'm a 100% bona-fide corn-fed hotshot babe looking for a wild time, so take your game and kiss it tenderly. gently caress! nerds everywhere, and here i am with my tropical oasis of a vagina just dripping for ariel sharon. loving nerds. i want his fat dead cock in my mouth. my breasts

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You can be Brutus if you want, but you'd have to be friends with Graic for a bit first. You know, before you stab him to death on the steps of the assembly.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Avshalom posted:

what the gently caress is this, you nerd? is this a game? you loving nerd. i've never even played a game. i'm not a game. i'm the real deal, you nerd, i'm a 100% bona-fide corn-fed hotshot babe looking for a wild time, so take your game and kiss it tenderly. gently caress! nerds everywhere, and here i am with my tropical oasis of a vagina just dripping for ariel sharon. loving nerds. i want his fat dead cock in my mouth. my breasts

Avshalom can be Atia.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Abbott delenda est

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Endman posted:

Avshalom can be Atia.
loving nerd, fart my cum

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i remove my immaculately tailored suit

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Endman posted:

You can be Brutus if you want, but you'd have to be friends with Graic for a bit first. You know, before you stab him to death on the steps of the assembly.

That's a loving hard act. I mean, I could do it, it is for the greater good. But still, ugh.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my scrotum unravels into its constituent shreds of skin and tendon. you have never seen anything so erotic

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Have you thought about writing a text adventure? A strictly non-nerdy one, of course.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

CrazyTolradi posted:

That's a loving hard act. I mean, I could do it, it is for the greater good. But still, ugh.

360 whole days of being his friend if you want to do it on the anniversary.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Hambeet can be Cleopatra.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Avshalom posted:

Avshalom posted:

my scrotum unravels into its constituent shreds of skin and tendon. you have never seen anything so erotic

These posts need to be in an art gallery so following generations can view them and ponder their meaning.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
feast your eyes upon a body that has never been clothed

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

Be humane, bring them to Australia and admit we hosed up. These people will likely be more grateful than yourself for the chance to live and work here. It's not like we're holding a few thousand detainees there. Are you really worried about the prospect of a couple of hundred people coming here and losing your precious slice of Australian pie?

You also avoided my question in my last post (You're such a dodgy mcdodgerton, always dodging questions). Do you really think Nauru would rule against the Australian government and find against the treatment of asylum seekers currently detained in Nauru?
Don't try your FYGM mumbo jumbo on me. It's another lame argument from the asylum seeker advocate playbook.

Those people can't live and work here. They won't be settled here. That's the policy of our country. I've said before (but as I seem to have to repeat myself) I would very much prefer not to have off-shore processing but it is not possible at this time.

I'm not trying to avoid your questions but I do get a few. I'm not sure I understand though - why would Nauru rule against Australia? Isn't that (still unread report by me) about allegations against individuals? And as I don't have a crystal ball I really couldn't say, but I'm not buying into your corruption conspiracy.

If these allegations turn into charges then I would expect The Guardian and a gaggle of lawyers would have ring side seats in court to make sure all was above board.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Graic Gabtar posted:

I would very much prefer not to have off-shore processing but it is not possible at this time.

Citation required

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

Don't try your FYGM mumbo jumbo on me. It's another lame argument from the asylum seeker advocate playbook.

Those people can't live and work here. They won't be settled here. That's the policy of our country. I've said before (but as I seem to have to repeat myself) I would very much prefer not to have off-shore processing but it is not possible at this time.

I'm not trying to avoid your questions but I do get a few. I'm not sure I understand though - why would Nauru rule against Australia? Isn't that (still unread report by me) about allegations against individuals? And as I don't have a crystal ball I really couldn't say, but I'm not buying into your corruption conspiracy.

If these allegations turn into charges then I would expect The Guardian and a gaggle of lawyers would have ring side seats in court to make sure all was above board.

So, as long as it's policy that makes it morally and ethically correct? Good to know you've vindicated the Third Reich there, Graic. Graic Gabtar, someone who only cares for policy, not morals or ethics.

Why isn't it possible to process them here? What prevents us from doing so? We've done it before previously, why not now?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Just finished read the Moss Review on the Nauru Detention Centre . It's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, as long as it's policy that makes it morally and ethically correct? Good to know you've vindicated the Third Reich there, Graic. Graic Gabtar, someone who only cares for policy, not morals or ethics.

Why isn't it possible to process them here? What prevents us from doing so? We've done it before previously, why not now?
Well you seem completely wrapped up in emotion and drama so I'll just stick to the policy and rule of law.

• Locked thread