Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Hypocrisy posted:

Seeing that made me sympathize with Crystal a lot more.

Man I hate gnomes.

This part has definitely throws the whole based off a DnD campaign idea out the window.

"The golem begins to slaughter gnomes as you fly away."

"gently caress em, I keep flying"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
OotS has always been more like the D&D campaign the players and the DM wish would happen. The DM is freakishly good at incorporating random things players did ages ago into the main plot and giving major actions real consequences, and the main characters don't run around doing stupid poo poo to derail the plot all the time. Plus there's actual asymmetry of knowledge rather than "let's all pretend that we don't know the wizard killed that innkeeper because our characters don't know" stuff.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd say it's the opposite. OOTS is precisely the sort of campaign where the DM gets over-invested in the story he's trying to tell and should just write it instead. Which is why it works as a comic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd say it's the opposite. OOTS is precisely the sort of campaign where the DM gets over-invested in the story he's trying to tell and should just write it instead. Which is why it works as a comic.

I think it is the sort of campaign where the DM has other issues to deal with and now the players can only meet once every two weeks for thirty minutes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Eifert Posting posted:

Near epic level characters have a whole mess of HP, huh?

Also a flesh golem that has to move to attack can do a maximum of 2d8+5 damage.

Even without adamantium weapons, Haley would be able to just fill the golem with arrows. Never pretend that D&D's rules have much to do with this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mystic Mongol posted:

Even without adamantium weapons, Haley would be able to just fill the golem with arrows. Never pretend that D&D's rules have much to do with this.

I'm sure 3.5 has a bunch of ways to juice that up, though?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

A 17th level or so rogue only has around 60-90 hp, depending on Con bonus. An average of 14 damage a hit (on a basic 9HD golem, this one is A) probably substantially stronger and B) is adding lighting to the attacks) is still a substantial threat. He'd only have to boost Damage Reduction to 10 to make Hailey's arrows scratch damage and to 15 to all but negate them. I'd bet Rich designed the scene with the thought that Crystal is of the same number of HD as Hailey in any case; it's not hard to imagine this as a legitimate encounter

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Crystal's a personal nemesis. She's whatever she needs to be to be challenging but defeatable by Haley.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
New Comic!

:siren: Fault Lines :siren:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Someone is going to get extra roleplay xp.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That was fantastic, well worth the wait. (And it was 2.5 strips, which explains the wait.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That was fantastic, well worth the wait. (And it was 2.5 strips, which explains the wait.)

yep

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay I actually cheered at this, we get to wrap this Bozzok business up quick while Starshine gets her chance to shine. :sun:

Great to see those lime green boots in action too, I'd forgotten about 'click heels to activate'.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How long does the super charge hold?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Darth TNT posted:

How long does the super charge hold?

Long enough.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I did not see that coming.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Kind of weird he wouldn't have a built in control device for a custom made golem. Or maybe that's the next strip.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cool posted:

Kind of weird he wouldn't have a built in control device for a custom made golem. Or maybe that's the next strip.

For a regular run of the mill golem, sure, but this is a custom still mostly sentient golem.
I think any control, she'll shrug off

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

For a regular run of the mill golem, sure, but this is a custom still mostly sentient golem.
I think any control, she'll shrug off

A better question: Does bozzok have the foresight to have such a control installed?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Apparently Flesh Golems (And this is definitely a heavily customized one because they're supposed to be made of corpses ala Voltron) have a 1% chance of going berserk regardless for every round of combat. The creator can re-establish control with a Charisma check.

This is as opposed to Clay Golems, which stay berserk forever if they go out of control. There is literally no way RAW to re-establish control. This is for twice the cost of a Flesh Golem. And you can spend even more to make them bigger and stronger, up to 200,000 GP. Why would you do that. Why would anyone pay to make such a thing. Those Cursed Wounds aren't going to feel like such a great idea when you have to pay a cleric to heal you several extra times.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zogundar posted:

Apparently Flesh Golems (And this is definitely a heavily customized one because they're supposed to be made of corpses ala Voltron) have a 1% chance of going berserk regardless for every round of combat. The creator can re-establish control with a Charisma check.

This is as opposed to Clay Golems, which stay berserk forever if they go out of control. There is literally no way RAW to re-establish control. This is for twice the cost of a Flesh Golem. And you can spend even more to make them bigger and stronger, up to 200,000 GP. Why would you do that. Why would anyone pay to make such a thing. Those Cursed Wounds aren't going to feel like such a great idea when you have to pay a cleric to heal you several extra times.

A round is six seconds right? So on average these things can go through ten minutes of combat before freaking out and just trying to kill everything. I know what I wouldn't want in my army.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That was a good strip.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Haley demonstrating why Charisma isn't a dump stat.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So taking bets on how Crystal actually gets killed? Re-deaded?

If it was something like put down by Haley by request it would be an interesting counterpoint to the other undead abomination 'helping' the party.

...and if the phrase 'put down' was actually used I'm fulling expecting more jokes in the vein of 'dismiss Celia'...though, eh, I guess that might not fit well with what could be a more serious scene.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Zoe posted:

So taking bets on how Crystal actually gets killed? Re-deaded?

If it was something like put down by Haley by request it would be an interesting counterpoint to the other undead abomination 'helping' the party.

...and if the phrase 'put down' was actually used I'm fulling expecting more jokes in the vein of 'dismiss Celia'...though, eh, I guess that might not fit well with what could be a more serious scene.

I'm not really sure if it's going to work like that, though. I don't think True Resurrection, the ultimate "death does not matter" spell, actually exists in the setting. Getting Roy's body back was something the party had to do rather than something that would make their lives easier, and when Nale got disintegrated everyone treated that as "Nale cannot come back ever". Even in this strip, Haley talks about only needing Raise Dead, not Resurrection, True Resurrection is never mentioned. I think once your body is gone you're poo poo out of luck in Ootsverse, so if Crystal Golem gets fried and they can't pick out enough pieces that are actually Crystal from the pieces that are golem, she's gone for good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It exists, it came up once before that probably the only cleric high enough to know True Resurrection is Redcloak.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm not really sure if it's going to work like that, though. I don't think True Resurrection, the ultimate "death does not matter" spell, actually exists in the setting. Getting Roy's body back was something the party had to do rather than something that would make their lives easier, and when Nale got disintegrated everyone treated that as "Nale cannot come back ever". Even in this strip, Haley talks about only needing Raise Dead, not Resurrection, True Resurrection is never mentioned. I think once your body is gone you're poo poo out of luck in Ootsverse, so if Crystal Golem gets fried and they can't pick out enough pieces that are actually Crystal from the pieces that are golem, she's gone for good.

Oh no, I didn't mean resurrecting her, no way that's going to happen. Just speculation over the Crystal golem going to be destroyed fighting Bozzok or ask Haley to kill her or be accidentally killed by the party who doesn't realize what sides she's on or what? It's just interesting because here's an undead abomination that wants to go back to being dead as opposed to the others we've been dealing with in the strip.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah.

March: 3 strips
February: 3 strips
January: 2 strips
December: 3
Keep going: 2, 3, 2, 2, 3

2014 total: 35 strips

Strips in book 5: 273, or 8 years at the 2014 rate.

http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Order_of_the_Stick_Comics

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Huh, was the last arc really that long?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Put Crystal in a Bag of Holding, and toss her at Xyklon like Roy's Bag of Tricks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

e X posted:

Huh, was the last arc really that long?

It's comfortably the longest book.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The difference in days between the first and last strips in book 5 comes to just under 4.5 years. So the rate of strips has decreased significantly since 2009. It's now about half as frequent.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Is there even a myth or something that makes that make sense?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anatharon posted:

Is there even a myth or something that makes that make sense?

The Golem of Prague. Not all versions of the story have the golem going crazy, but there are some that do, and that's where this is taken from.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
D&D ability to take classic mythology, codify it and produce utter bullshit is nothing short of amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

e X posted:

D&D ability to take classic mythology, codify it and produce utter bullshit is nothing short of amazing.
The 3.5e entry on vampire habits and weaknesses is nothing short of amazing. It's like reading a computer's explanation of what folklore is.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Are pitchforks the best pick against a flesh golem then?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Windmills and fire are preferred.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Gosh, I hope Rich is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I swear to God, I will red text into oblivion the first person to post Goblins.