Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dissss posted:

Those are Atoms with Celeron branding

Eh, I see your point, but in actual usage, the performance difference between a Z3740 and an n2840 is pretty noticable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Is the ASUS MeMo ME572 (the one with the Moorefield CPU) a Best Buy exclusive? Seems like the only place I can find offering it.

I'm on the fence between picking one of those up or seeing if there's a decent 8" alternative in the < $200 range.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is the GT-P5113 galaxy tab 2 any good? Too big at 10inches? Too old? Going to use it for web browsing, awful app, instagram and hearthstone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

delfin posted:

Is the ASUS MeMo ME572 (the one with the Moorefield CPU) a Best Buy exclusive? Seems like the only place I can find offering it.

I'm on the fence between picking one of those up or seeing if there's a decent 8" alternative in the < $200 range.

I can't answer your question as I bought mine in the UK, but I can say I have a 572 and I think it's pretty drat good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

always be closing posted:

Is the GT-P5113 galaxy tab 2 any good? Too big at 10inches? Too old? Going to use it for web browsing, awful app, instagram and hearthstone.
Are you getting it for free? If not, don't.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

always be closing posted:

3 year old, budget line, Samsung. Do not do.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks, forum users.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I'm planning on buying a tablet for reading, netflix/movies, stupid mobile games and spotify. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm very limited to only Samsung and Asus tablets due to availability in Mexico. Do you have any recommendation?

I was thinking on buying the SM-T800NZWATCE or SM-T800NTSATCE, I don't know what the gently caress is the difference between those is except for the color, the price is the same.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

El Chingon posted:

I'm planning on buying a tablet for reading, netflix/movies, stupid mobile games and spotify. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm very limited to only Samsung and Asus tablets due to availability in Mexico. Do you have any recommendation?

I was thinking on buying the SM-T800NZWATCE or SM-T800NTSATCE, I don't know what the gently caress is the difference between those is except for the color, the price is the same.

One has a ZW, the other has a TS. Pretty obvious what the difference is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

El Chingon posted:

Can you get the Nexus 7 2013 which is from Asus?

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Can you get the Nexus 7 2013 which is from Asus?

I don't think so, I'd have to order it from the Google online store and I don't think that model is available

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

El Chingon posted:

I just saw the Galaxy Note Pro on a stand and oh poo poo that thing is as expensive as a laptop and looks like one.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

El Chingon posted:

Just the color, probably. I have the SM-T800NTSAXAR (16GB Bronze 10.1"), and I like it. There are a few minor annoyances (e.g. music stutters sometimes over a BT headset while loading websites, TW isn't great but Nova Launcher took care of that for me) but for the most part it's pretty solid. Going back to my OG TF101 showed me how good the battery/power management is on the Samsung is, too.

Of course, my tablet had issues with randomly turning the screen off, culminating in being completely unsuable. I sent it back (today, as it happens) to Samsung to get repaired/replaced, so we'll see how it works when it gets back.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Welp. The Asus ME573C looked tempting at $150 at Best Buy but I figured that with the glowing reviews, someone Not Best Buy would carry it.

Checked again now, and it's up to $170 at BB (on "clearance," apparently gone from most locations) and there's still no one else brick-and-mortar carrying it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nmfree posted:

Just the color, probably. I have the SM-T800NTSAXAR (16GB Bronze 10.1"), and I like it. There are a few minor annoyances (e.g. music stutters sometimes over a BT headset while loading websites, TW isn't great but Nova Launcher took care of that for me) but for the most part it's pretty solid. Going back to my OG TF101 showed me how good the battery/power management is on the Samsung is, too.

Of course, my tablet had issues with randomly turning the screen off, culminating in being completely unsuable. I sent it back (today, as it happens) to Samsung to get repaired/replaced, so we'll see how it works when it gets back.

I just came to post about this. We have the SM-T800XXU1AMFB and it randomly started dropping charge (I think it's a bug, since it can come back from 2% to 80% at the next start yp. It also crashes randomly and get's stuck in retart loops. We've returned it (not to samsung, but to the retailer who in turn sends it to a repair shop...) twice. The first time they swapped the battery charge connectorslot and said it was because of that. Still didn't work. It had also gotten a pretty big scratch during the repair. So I returned it again. Just got it back. To my surprise they changed the screen without crying about it, but the the main problem isn't fixed. Just started it and I could get past the setup screen without it crashing. They also added a note basically hinting that it's what we install that makes it lose charge.

Edit: In the three times it has booted the setup screen, the battery has gone from 84% to 65% to 27% and now to 58%. :v:

Edit 2: After working for an hour or so it shut down, and now I can't get past the battery charge indication screen. It also shuts down as soon as the charger is unplugged.

Final edit: AFter spending more time than I'd like on this I worked out what the problem is. The connectors inside it are glitching. Found a thread about where someone had the exact problems I had and it was due to bad soldering. Another guy checked his under a microscope and found cracks and movement. After resoldering it there were no more problems. With my unit I found that touching it and moving it could make it start, and turn off (the few times I got it started).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 8, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not that this is any surprise but in case anyone was wondering the Nexus 10 still performs like garbage on 5.1.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Tunga posted:

Not that this is any surprise but in case anyone was wondering the Nexus 10 still performs like garbage on 5.1.

Any news yet on the 2012 Nexus 7?

Not that I'm holding my breath..

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There was a positive report in the general Android thread:

Athenry posted:

So 5.1 is way better on my Nexus 7 2012 than 5.0.2 ever thought of being. Not quite as good as when it shipped but great for a 3 year old device.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Been using the Tab S 10 inch for a couple months with no problems. Multi window is great as is everything else. Wish I got a cover for it though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

RBX posted:

Been using the Tab S 10 inch for a couple months with no problems. Multi window is great as is everything else. Wish I got a cover for it though.
I like this cheap cover because A) it's cheap, B) it's relatively slim, and C) it's magnetic so it turns the screen on when you open it up.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Heners_UK posted:

Any news yet on the 2012 Nexus 7?

Not that I'm holding my breath..

It's basically the same as 5.0.1 as far as I can tell.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Re-re-edit:

Okay, I'm giving my 8 year old my 2012 Nexus 7, so it's time to upgrade.

Would like something in the 9-10" range, would use it mostly for browsing, some music, and occasional light gaming. Don't want to spend any more than like $300.
Was looking at the Shield, but it looks like it only come in 8". Only other thing I've seen on Amazon that fits is the Galaxy S tab, but that looks old'ish.

Any other suggestions? I'm considering just going with the Shield, but I'm going to hold off.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 14, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Nexus 9.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fixed that for you.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Well yeah, that's what I'd buy. Was just suggesting something he hadn't already considered.

And if I was going to go the whole Android ultrabook setup I'd get the Sony Z4 - Look at it, its gorgeous:

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 14, 2015

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, the more I read, the more it seems like the Shield is probably right in the sweet spot for everything I'd want it to do, even though it's slightly smaller. Trust the thread hive-mind!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I keep wondering if I should buy the Shield, myself. With the Tegra X1 being announced recently, and the rumors that they're going to announce a new model on the 17th, I'm trying to hold off. Thankfully, I live in a place where NOBODY carries it locally, so I can't indulge my desire for instant satisfaction.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Is there any tablets coming up that are

1. ~9"+
2. Stock android
3. Fast charging
4. Thin/light/well built/etc.

I have the N9 but it can just be flakey at times. The "ok google" still doesn't work. The biggest gripe is it takes FOREVER to charge. The fact they didn't incorporate fast charging is insane to me. I'm just glad i got it for $300.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

5436 posted:

1. ~9"+
2. Stock android
3. Fast charging

I have the N9 but it can just be flakey at times. The "ok google" still doesn't work. The biggest gripe is it takes FOREVER to charge. The fact they didn't incorporate fast charging is insane to me. I'm just glad i got it for $300.

No.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, but only in Spain sorry. BQ Aquaris 10'' it has all and that's why BQ sells more phones and tablets than any other.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

5436 posted:

1. ~9"+
2. Stock android
3. Fast charging

I find that the turbo charger from my Nexus 6 charges the Nexus 9 much, much faster than the stock one. I haven't timed it, but anecdotally it feels "normal" compared to "glacially slow". This is on rooted stock, no CM or custom kernels.

I tried using the 2amp chargers from my old HP touchpad, which were otherwise great, but didn't work any better than the stock 9 charger. Something about the turbo charger is different.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Tunga posted:

I'm having zero issues on mine at all, updated yesterday.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10 works ok too (with Nova launcher}. Something app started to lag while scrolling though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I just inherited an Acer A1-810 from my dad. No manual, kinda buggy. The first tablet I ever had, so some things that are obvious may elude me.

I can't quite get video files (avi or whatever) to play / play with sound. Downloaded a codec pack for android, and a bunch of video players / Joe VLC... nada. What am I missing?

Also - a really simple question that google isn't willing to answer: how the hell do I delete programs?

(My apologies if this is the wrong thread for these questions, could you direct me to the right one?)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xander77 posted:

I just inherited an Acer A1-810 from my dad. No manual, kinda buggy. The first tablet I ever had, so some things that are obvious may elude me.

I can't quite get video files (avi or whatever) to play / play with sound. Downloaded a codec pack for android, and a bunch of video players / Joe VLC... nada. What am I missing?

Also - a really simple question that google isn't willing to answer: how the hell do I delete programs?

(My apologies if this is the wrong thread for these questions, could you direct me to the right one?)
This is the right thread. To uninstall apps you generally long press the icon and drag to the location at the top of the screen that says "Uninstall" but Acer may have changed that. You could also go to Settings > Apps > [the app you're looking for] > Hit the Uninstall button.

As for downloading a "codec pack", I don't even think that's a possibility. If you did install a codec pack it is most definitely for a specific player. If the format you want to play isn't supported by the system then you'll need to find a player that can play it. What Android version does the tablet in question run? (Settings > About Phone)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

LastInLine posted:

As for downloading a "codec pack", I don't even think that's a possibility. If you did install a codec pack it is most definitely for a specific player. If the format you want to play isn't supported by the system then you'll need to find a player that can play it. What Android version does the tablet in question run? (Settings > About Phone)
Well, it said "codec pack for android" and I downloaded it from the android download center thingy.

Android version 4.2.2

Core version 3.4.5

I've downloaded several different files... and I kinda thought avi was the one video format everything should support.

quote:

This is the right thread. To uninstall apps you generally long press the icon and drag to the location at the top of the screen that says "Uninstall" but Acer may have changed that. You could also go to Settings > Apps > [the app you're looking for] > Hit the Uninstall button.
Err, I'm having a bunch of problems with that. First of all, I don't see an "uninstall" in settings - only "uninstall updates" and disable, which I don't think deletes the program completely. Also, I'm seeing a whole bunch of apps in the... main app center thing... which I don't see when I hit Settings > Apps. Most of them are useless or "this program doesn't work in your region" sort of stuff, at that. Long-pressing them just transfers them* to the main screen.

Edit - Copies, not transfers.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 20, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Xander77 posted:

I've downloaded several different files... and I kinda thought avi was the one video format everything should support.

AVI is a container not a video format.

Xander77 posted:

Err, I'm having a bunch of problems with that. First of all, I don't see an "uninstall" in settings - only "uninstall updates" and disable, which I don't think deletes the program completely.

This means they're system apps either disable them or just ignore them - because they live on the system partition removing them won't gain you any extra space anyway.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Use MX Player with it's codec pack, it should play everything.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

Use MX Player with it's codec pack, it should play everything.

Have they added back AC3 audio support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Boywunda posted:

Have they added back AC3 audio support?

That's why there is a codec pack.