Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, for how good SBR is, the rear end end of it feels like he was drawing it almost out of an obligation to get to a certain length before starting up JoJolion.

DIEGO's World is loving cool as hell, but it doesn't make a lot of sense, some of the drawing there isn't so good (almost everything with The World in it) and it just kind of feels like Araki thought "gently caress it, I need to finish the race, let's have DIO and The World come back to tie up the Phantom Blood allusions and it'll be cool". It could have ended with Jonathan carrying Gyro over the finish line and go home and would not have suffered over-all.

e:

Better than I could ever dream of, but this is just kind of rear end for SBR-era Araki.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I still don't understand why the World uses scuba gear. Is that a song reference?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RatHat posted:

I still don't understand why the World uses scuba gear. Is that a song reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTO1n7GNXyM

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

Holy Diver, by Dio.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Holy Diver" by Ronnie James Dio, in all likelihood.

e: Welp, I'll put some more stupid, sexy Dio here to make the post less pointless.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

Yeah, for how good SBR is, the rear end end of it feels like he was drawing it almost out of an obligation to get to a certain length before starting up JoJolion.

DIEGO's World is loving cool as hell, but it doesn't make a lot of sense, some of the drawing there isn't so good (almost everything with The World in it) and it just kind of feels like Araki thought "gently caress it, I need to finish the race, let's have DIO and The World come back to tie up the Phantom Blood allusions and it'll be cool". It could have ended with Jonathan carrying Gyro over the finish line and go home and would not have suffered over-all.

e:

Better than I could ever dream of, but this is just kind of rear end for SBR-era Araki.

While I agree with you on the art, I still think it's worth it just to see The World do supermodel poses.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

RatHat posted:

fuckin shameful smh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJolion 41 summary (Japanese):
http://araki100p.web.fc2.com/jojolion041.html

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Did Araki actually have an explanation for Holly's stand or is that just one of those things he forgot/didn't care/didn't think about? I mean, he uses every major tarot arcana throughout Part 3, and while he does run out of those and start using Egyptian gods and Kenny G's stand and whatnot, it seems like at the beginning of Stardust Crusaders the intention was that every stand was a tarot card, but there ended up being none for Holly's to actually be.

Granted the whole stand name thing kind of doesn't make any sense because Avdol just made up the tarot-themed names and then for some reason everyone up to and including DIO ran with it, and we're clearly not supposed to question that, but I'm just wondering.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Queen of Cups?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Nakar posted:

Granted the whole stand name thing kind of doesn't make any sense because Avdol just made up the tarot-themed names and then for some reason everyone up to and including DIO ran with it, and we're clearly not supposed to question that, but I'm just wondering.
This always gave me a chuckle when they hit Egypt.

"N-nine more stand users? But there's only one tarot card left!"

The rough patches are part of the series' charm for me though. Even the early art's grown on me, Jonathan Joestar and his elephant-sized legs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I always explained it to myself as the vast majority of the tarot stand users were assassins or fortune tellers in one overlapping group that adopted a mostly universal naming scheme (which is why Avdol can rattle off info on a lot of the earlier enemies) whereas the Egyptian god stand users were all people/animals Dio brought in from outside, and everyone after that was mostly an independent operator that named it themselves because why the gently caress not?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, I found a translation of what happens in Jorge Joestar.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In Jorge Joestar, it is revealed that Pucci’s Made in Heaven reset the universe 36 times instead of 2. And in every universe, the basic events of Battle Tendency happened, including Kars becoming the Ultimate Life Form and being ejected into space by Joseph Joestar (the beings called “Kars” and “Joseph Joestar” exist in every universe). However, it justs so happens that the universal resets only affected Earth, which means everything outside of Earth remained the same after the resets. Consequently, every version of the immortal Kars has survived the resets and crashed on Mars. Thus, there are now 36 versions of Kars living on Mars in Joji Joestar’s universe. Furthermore, the original Kars is no longer evil and has befriended Joji Joestar. He now holds respect for humanity’s bravery and ambiton. He is also now aware of the concept of Stands, or should I say he now remembers the concept of Stands, and seems to imply that the Pillar Men of ancient times possessed some kind of proto-Stands. He also reveals that Santana was actually completely insane, and that his stoicness was the result of the Pillar Men’s version of the flesh buds, keeping him in control. These Kars possess many Stands amongst themselves including U Boat, D4C Ultimate, Whitesnake Ultimate, C-Moon Ultimate Requiem, The World Ultimate, and Dune. It is the original Kars who managed to obtain Killer Queen from Kira. After that, he repeateadly uses the Bites the Dust ability until he manages to reach the first universal reset, which is the SBR universe, obtaining Made in Heaven Ultimate Requiem in the process, and taking back many characters with him, including Joji, Jorge, and Jonathan. Then, Joji incorporates the original Kars into his chest (??), which makes all the Kars form a bridge (????) in order to reach Ultimate Dio (who has been joined by all of the evil Kars and all of the other main villains), in order to defeat him once and for all. In the end, the original Kars uses Made in Heaven Ultimate Requiem and Bites the Dust one last time in order to reach the original universe, the reset stopping on the day of Jorge’s and Lisa Lisa’s wedding and restoring order in the multiverse. The legendary history of the Joestar family and their bizarre adventure can now live on, as it should be.

what am i even reading

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's not even mentioning Funny Valentine, Funnier Valentine, Funniest Valentine, one version of Kira falling in love with Lisa Lisa and calling himself Kira Kira before killing her, Morioh growing legs and moving around the globe at will, eventually joining up with Alt Universe Passione HQ (which did the same thing as Morioh). DIO is not Dio Brando, Jonathan Joestar is the holy corpse.

Jorge Joestar is a thing.

e: Thinking on it, it might be Dio Brando who is the holy corpse, not Jonathan.

e2: Oh and one of the stand powers is "become an american policeman".

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In Jorge Joestar, it is revealed that Pucci’s Made in Heaven reset the universe 36 times instead of 2. And in every universe, the basic events of Battle Tendency happened, including Kars becoming the Ultimate Life Form and being ejected into space by Joseph Joestar (the beings called “Kars” and “Joseph Joestar” exist in every universe). However, it justs so happens that the universal resets only affected Earth, which means everything outside of Earth remained the same after the resets. Consequently, every version of the immortal Kars has survived the resets and crashed on Mars. Thus, there are now 36 versions of Kars living on Mars in Joji Joestar’s universe.
Okay.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Aurain posted:

That's not even mentioning Funny Valentine, Funnier Valentine, Funniest Valentine, one version of Kira falling in love with Lisa Lisa and calling himself Kira Kira before killing her, Morioh growing legs and moving around the globe at will, eventually joining up with Alt Universe Passione HQ (which did the same thing as Morioh). DIO is not Dio Brando, Jonathan Joestar is the holy corpse.

Jorge Joestar is a thing.

e: Thinking on it, it might be Dio Brando who is the holy corpse, not Jonathan.

I loving love this series. It's like Araki read a what-if/elseworld story and went "poo poo, I can top that" :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jorge Joestar is a fanfic that Araki read/was told existed and thought "gently caress it, people will buy it so I'll make some royalties, whatever".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jorge Joestar is a light novel that is half the story of Joseph's dad and half the dude writing a silly fanfiction about all of the dumb JoJo theories people were batting around in Japan and having fun with it. It's pretty great.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You'll also never read it~

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll live.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm happy with the fact that it exists at all.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
On the topic of officially endorsed fanfic, is Purple Haze Feedback any good?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's alright.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked it, though it does have a few more callbacks than necessary.

If DavidPro ever gets around to making Vento Aureo, I wouldn't object to one of the closing scenes being Fugo entering that stadium to see Mista.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Million Ghosts posted:

I read it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If you really like Fugo and want to see more of him, go for it. The author does a pretty good job of describing battles through text and the Stands (all named after Jimi Hendrix songs) are interesting enough. Mista and Giorno show up in there too, so it's pretty neat.

Also, has anyone read Dead Man's Questions, the manga where Kira is like a ghost detective? That premise sounds kinda dumb and kinda cool.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 20, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Also, has anyone read Dead Man's Questions, the manga where Kira is like a ghost detective? That premise sounds kinda dumb and kinda cool.

It's different from the usual Jojo fare, but it was nice reading about more Kira. I'd recommend it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

I thought it was pretty good. It has a couple of really cool stands and the author has a good understanding of what makes Jojo's fun.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Aurain posted:

So in other worlds this stand's ability is to kill black people in cold blood and get away with it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

So in other worlds this stand's ability is to kill black people in cold blood and get away with it?

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, it's an alternate universe Keicho Nijimura whose stand instead of being bad company and summoning a small military, it summons and american cop and it is called NYPD Blue

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What's the context for Morioh sprouting legs?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

STFU!!!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Moltrey posted:

It's great and I hope Araki revisits the idea.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

You'll also never read it~

The guy who translated PHF is working on it.

You'll probably be able to read it before Vento Aureo if you wanted to.
(You won't want to).

Speaking of, a new chapter of VA was released the other day in new translation/scans, but it's JoJo's Coloured Adventure so expect vomit inducing typesetting. Typical, really. You can read the words, but it's still unreadable.

RatHat posted:

What's the context for Morioh sprouting legs?

gently caress it, why not? - Jorge Joestar.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Holy poo poo really? I figured it wouldn't ever happen but here we are. JJCA typesetting in VA is extremely bad but if they can get the rips and translations done there's no reason someone else can't go unfuck it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I might even do it myself if it gets way worse. I'm not good at that, but I'd brush up first. The only reason is that it can be time-consuming to do, a double spread page can take 20-30 minutes each, and VA is pretty long.

There's a dude on /a/ who works with JJCA and he said that the translator doing VA specifically said he will only work with that type-setter, so don't expect that to go away.

e: http://jojo-animation.com/contents/story/35.html

Previews.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 20, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
What they're going for in theory makes sense. If every character has somewhat unique typesetting and you play with size you can add a lot of readability and personality to manga text. They're just super bad at it.

It's readable and better than nothing but not by a lot.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Previews: http://jojo-animation.com/contents/story/35.html

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
4th image is the finger break scene

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The cigarette censorship is ugly as hell. No OP this week.
Shooting DIO is next week's opener. It's a 2 parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aurain posted:

The cigarette censorship is ugly as hell. No OP this week.
Shooting DIO is next week's opener. It's a 2 parter.

How bad is it compared to Dark Blue Moon's cigarette?

• Locked thread