Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't, it's my only way of getting to work right now (hornet has no radiator) so I have to figure out a way to bodge this on my lunch break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haha holy poo poo. I just decided to examine it more closely and it turns out that, in addition to fitting terrible bar risers (long-since removed), one of the PO's decided to lengthen the throttle cable. So about a third of the way down from the throttle tube the factory sheath has been cut in half. The 'lengthened' section has been disguised using a rubber outer tube that I've always mistaken for a factory thing intended to stop the cable rubbing through on the frame bracket. So the lower 2/3rd's of the sheath is free to do whatever it wants and there is rust everywhere.

Ebay time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Just ziptie the loving hyosung radiator onto your hornet or whatever. Sounds like an upgrade to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hyosung's oil cooled. Oh and the hornet's radiator appears to be made out of a heater core from a large vehicle like a truck or something, then had the mounting bracketry and cosmetic trims from the original grafted on. I ordered a replacement radiator of ebay, because I'm poor and a wrecker here expects $250 for a used one. It shows up and it's made wrong so it is physically unable to fit on the bike despite it being made specifically for that model and appearing to be the right shape. So now I have to find a place that will modify the ebay radiator for me because that will still be cheaper than buying one from a wrecker.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Hyosung's oil cooled. Oh and the hornet's radiator appears to be made out of a heater core from a large vehicle like a truck or something, then had the mounting bracketry and cosmetic trims from the original grafted on. I ordered a replacement radiator of ebay, because I'm poor and a wrecker here expects $250 for a used one. It shows up and it's made wrong so it is physically unable to fit on the bike despite it being made specifically for that model and appearing to be the right shape. So now I have to find a place that will modify the ebay radiator for me because that will still be cheaper than buying one from a wrecker.

Wait, so did a random kiwi weld some random truck bits onto your hornet, call it a radiator, and now it's broken/you're hosed? Or are you saying your radiator has a flaw in it from the factory?

fakeedit: Did you order the wrong radiator :v:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Maybe they sent him a radiator from a good bike as an incentive to dump the hyosung.

Edit: Got mixed up, Hornet needs the radiator, Hyosung needs the throttle cable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Wait, so did a random kiwi weld some random truck bits onto your hornet, call it a radiator, and now it's broken/you're hosed? Or are you saying your radiator has a flaw in it from the factory?

fakeedit: Did you order the wrong radiator :v:

Some random sheep shagger made a radiator and dressed it up to look vaguely like the factory one. This radiator has now sprung a leak.

I'm 100% certain I got the right radiator. There is only one kind for this bike and it is perfect aside from having one of the outlet pipes point directly at the frame when you fit the radiator onto the bike. I now have to find someone willing to cut off that pipe and weld a longer replacement one onto paper-thin alloy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Some random sheep shagger made a radiator and dressed it up to look vaguely like the factory one. This radiator has now sprung a leak.

I'm 100% certain I got the right radiator. There is only one kind for this bike and it is perfect aside from having one of the outlet pipes point directly at the frame when you fit the radiator onto the bike. I now have to find someone willing to cut off that pipe and weld a longer replacement one onto paper-thin alloy.

You've helped me out a lot so I figured I might have a bit of advice for you.

Are you sure you didn't put it in backwards? V:v:V

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm not understanding how it is 100% the right radiator if it needs to be modded to fit the bike? Usually the correct parts don't require modification.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Gotta agree with nsap there, can't be the correct part of it doesn't fit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

Gotta agree with nsap there, can't be the correct part of it doesn't fit.

Spoken like someone who has never bought restoration parts. "guaranteed to fit!*"

*after eight hours of grinding and welding

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Or the standard ebay seller that lists something with a stock number and pictures, but then sends the wrong part.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was 100% the 'correct' part. It's difficult to gently caress up because the 900 hornet only ever came with one radiator and no other model uses that radiator. The radiator is entirely correct and fits the bike perfectly, with all brackets etc lining up. The problem is that the upper outlet is supposed to come out around 1.5 inches, then elbow toward the motor. Instead it just elbows immediately, so the outlet is pointing directly at the frame spar and fitting a hose on is completely impossible.

Contacting the seller just got me a bunch of really concerned broken English and a promise to talk to the manufacturer so I've given up on that avenue. It can't be that difficult to just cut and lengthen an alloy tube surely.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It was 100% the 'correct' part. It's difficult to gently caress up because the 900 hornet only ever came with one radiator and no other model uses that radiator. The radiator is entirely correct and fits the bike perfectly, with all brackets etc lining up. The problem is that the upper outlet is supposed to come out around 1.5 inches, then elbow toward the motor. Instead it just elbows immediately, so the outlet is pointing directly at the frame spar and fitting a hose on is completely impossible.

Contacting the seller just got me a bunch of really concerned broken English and a promise to talk to the manufacturer so I've given up on that avenue. It can't be that difficult to just cut and lengthen an alloy tube surely.

In the true spirit of your bodged bike(s), cut the elbow off leaving just enough spare pipe to swage a lip on using a punch and a hammer, then slip on some flexible radiator hose and secure with lockwire. Coat exterior of mated parts liberally with silicone RTV.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Okay I must be slow because if it is the correct part, why is part of it not correct? If it is the correct part then why are you contacting the seller at all? Does the Queen's have a different definition for 'correct'??

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
See now, whatcha got here is your classic "disconnect between design and QC" problem.

Happens a lot when folks are just recreating parts by rote rather than designing them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

In the true spirit of your bodged bike(s), cut the elbow off leaving just enough spare pipe to swage a lip on using a punch and a hammer, then slip on some flexible radiator hose and secure with lockwire. Coat exterior of mated parts liberally with silicone RTV.

If I could do something incredibly rangi to make it work, I would have by now :v:

nsaP posted:

Okay I must be slow because if it is the correct part, why is part of it not correct? If it is the correct part then why are you contacting the seller at all? Does the Queen's have a different definition for 'correct'??

Z3n posted:

See now, whatcha got here is your classic "disconnect between design and QC" problem.

Happens a lot when folks are just recreating parts by rote rather than designing them.

It's this. The part is the right part based on the bike specs. The seller was selling me the right part as far as he was aware. It's the right part in all ways except for one fitting - not because it's the wrong part, but because it's made incorrectly.

It's like if I bought one off honda and it was defective straight out of the box.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Are you a politician?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Are you a politician?

So your rocking, it goes further than just the hair, doesn't it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know if you're being a oval office or if you genuinely don't understand (odds are even), so let me run you through this step by step.

1. Slavvy went on ebay and looked for CB900 hornet/919 radiators.

2. He found a cheap chinese one. The listing said it would fit all years CB900 hornet and it visually looks 100% correct.

3. He ordered the part, it arrived a few weeks later and appeared to be perfect.

4. He then fitted the radiator to the bike, along with the fan and other brackets et al. Everything went on fine...

5. ...until he discovered the upper outlet bends far too sharply and ends up pointing directly at a frame spar, preventing the hose from being fitted at all.

The ebay seller isn't interested in any kind of refund or anything so I'm hosed beyond giving him negative feedback. I'm taking it to the engineer across the road from work tomorrow because he says he can modify it. It isn't 'wrong' in the sense that it's made for a different model of bike, it's just defective. That's where things are at now. I am not able to explain this any more clearly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

So your rocking, it goes further than just the hair, doesn't it?

Felt terrible for laughing at this, well done.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I gotcha. Wrong part.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

If I could do something incredibly rangi to make it work, I would have by now :v:
The obvious solution is to cut out a part of the frame to make the pipe fit. :pseudo:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I gotcha. Wrong part.
Yeah so it's an off-brand repro that doesn't fit. So why would you call it 'correct'? Or were those just ironic scare quotes?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I buy a part that is labelled as being 100% right for my bike, and I open the box, and it's defective, is it then the 'wrong' part? If I bought that same one again, chances are it would fit perfectly because it was made by a different chinese child labourer on the day. Does that make it the right part?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Slavvy posted:

If I buy a part that is labelled as being 100% right for my bike, and I open the box, and it's defective, is it then the 'wrong' part? If I bought that same one again, chances are it would fit perfectly because it was made by a different chinese child labourer on the day. Does that make it the right part?

Why don't you just dispute the part with ebay? You'll get your money back especially if its listed wrong. The seller doesn't want it back and ebay/paypal will reissue your money in a week if it has been 14 days since the order.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Slavvy posted:

If I buy a part that is labelled as being 100% right for my bike, and I open the box, and it's defective, is it then the 'wrong' part?
Yes. That's how you should proceed via ebay/paypal too. Show you tried to contact the seller and resolve the fact that this part is NOT what they are promising because it doesn't fit and get a refund.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gillingham posted:

Yes. That's how you should proceed via ebay/paypal too. Show you tried to contact the seller and resolve the fact that this part is NOT what they are promising because it doesn't fit and get a refund.

Honestly, having been on the other side of this, the buyer doesn't even need a reason to return the item, and can do so up to the 89.999th day after the transaction. It can be the wrong shade of black, doesn't matter. It's turned into Zappos...so think of the radiator as an ill-fitting pair of Oxfords and send that poo poo back. BTW, that process is all automated too, no negotiation necessary--return label gets emailed to you and billed to the seller.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Too late, wish I had known that. Had the pipe lengthened, it fits fine now. That means the radiator has cost me just under $100, which is a lot cheaper than a used one.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Marv Hushman posted:

Honestly, having been on the other side of this, the buyer doesn't even need a reason to return the item, and can do so up to the 89.999th day after the transaction. It can be the wrong shade of black, doesn't matter. It's turned into Zappos...so think of the radiator as an ill-fitting pair of Oxfords and send that poo poo back. BTW, that process is all automated too, no negotiation necessary--return label gets emailed to you and billed to the seller.

That has been really great for buyers, but as someone who sold a lot of products for a former employer its not unusual to get completely hosed by the buyer. IE someone hollowed out a server and said we sent out the wrong server. We photographed the inside, outside, boxing, and label process and they still sided with the buyer. Meanwhile we were out 1500 dollars.

That being said Slavvy really consider filing a claim. You will likely not have to return it to the seller and you can at least get your cash back.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Sorry, Slavvy will be back in a few minutes. After his last post, he immediately flew to the US, found my building, defeated security, and plastered these everywhere. On his way back as I write this...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cricket is by far the worst sport. All of you non-commonwealth people think golf is the worst, but you're wrong. Each match takes days to complete, generates an utterly baffling quantity of numbers and stats (very similar to baseball in this regard), has rules explicitly designed to keep out illiterates and there are usually hours between anything remotely interesting happening. It's also hilariously corrupt. Invented to amuse colonial soldiers in the rear end end of nowhere for days/weeks on end, whilst also being completely inaccessible to the natives. Terrible, terrible lovely sport.

Black caps might actually win the world cup this year though :kiwi:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Slavvy posted:

Great to see you made it back OK...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Cricket is by far the worst sport. All of you non-commonwealth people think golf is the worst, but you're wrong. Each match takes days to complete, generates an utterly baffling quantity of numbers and stats (very similar to baseball in this regard), has rules explicitly designed to keep out illiterates and there are usually hours between anything remotely interesting happening. It's also hilariously corrupt. Invented to amuse colonial soldiers in the rear end end of nowhere for days/weeks on end, whilst also being completely inaccessible to the natives. Terrible, terrible lovely sport.

Any sport that has meal breaks and includes terms like "silly mid-off" is fine by me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

All I know about cricket I learned from Borderlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcHsgYJjHbI

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Irrational irritation: Every time I see someone with a modular helmet and the chin is flipped up. The only exception is when they're going under 10mph or sitting still.
What the gently caress is the point of buying a modular if you're going to wear it like a goddamn 3/4 helmet? :argh:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Better wind protection when you want it. Freedom when you don't.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having the skid lid your heart desires but without the perceived guilt of looking like a dork (you still look like a dork). Also lets you claim you're safety conscious to impress your dentist mates even though you aren't because you have no idea how to ride your GS faster than a crawl through traffic to the office.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

clutchpuck posted:

Better wind protection when you want it. Freedom when you don't.

Sometimes I feel like a motherless child.

That's when I wear my skid lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Driving home in rush hour traffic on Wichita's most crowded freeway I witnessed a sport bike with a rider wearing only jeans and a t-shirt leaning black and flailing his legs every which way :supaburn:. Maybe he wasn't hurting anyone, but honestly rush hour at highway speeds approaching the worst intersection in Wichita (the Y where K-96 splits at I-135. . . :suicide: ) is probably not the best time or place to decide to act like a dumb rear end.