Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chernabog posted:

The first expansion has nothing new but a few weapons, a raid, and one strike that is 80% old stuff. From what I recall the upcoming second one doesn't look much better.

How did this happen? Like yeah the base game feels gutted or shallow or whatever but did they really make this little content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

That loving Sned posted:

Play The Last Story on the Wii. It's directed by Sakaguchi, composed by Uematsu, and the city itself feels very similar to Alexandria, only in full 3D. You even rescue a princess in disguise, who wanted to escape because the royal family are pricks.

And it has the second best voice-acting of a JRPG after Xenoblade.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The first two expansions are just left over content from development that they're re-balancing and integrating (perhaps should have been included in the first place?).

Any significant or new content won't come until September.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

Any significant or new content won't come until Destiny 2.

Fixed that up for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neo Rasa posted:

How did this happen? Like yeah the base game feels gutted or shallow or whatever but did they really make this little content?

Yep. :v:

Basically Bungie did what Bungie always does, they farted around on some really cool ideas for a few years and then when somebody noticed they actually had to ship a game soon, they just shat out the fastest thing they could.

Destiny is basically FPS Diablo 3 without Reaper of Souls. There's so little content its unbelievable and the RPG mechanics are all dumb and broken.

As soon as I heard that the DLC wasn't adding any real new areas or patrol zones, just more little missions in the same space, I stopped playing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Play The Last Story on the Wii. It's directed by Sakaguchi, composed by Uematsu, and the city itself feels very similar to Alexandria, only in full 3D. You even rescue a princess in disguise, who wanted to escape because the royal family are pricks.

Also it's called Last Story which is similar kind of to Final Fantasy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK thanks guys, I'll hold fire then unless the game really, really grabs me. Figured I couldn't go wrong at that price anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love The Last Story, it's so awesome. :) I mostly like how it reminds me of, like, does anyone remember Brain Lord on the SNES or anime like The Slayers? It's totally different aesthetically but I like how the characters in it are mostly friends who just want to make some money/drink/not get killed. It doesn't quite have the super convoluted plot epicness of other RPGs and I really appreciated that.

Zaphod42 posted:

As soon as I heard that the DLC wasn't adding any real new areas or patrol zones, just more little missions in the same space, I stopped playing.

I actually did trade the game in when I found that out too. For the price I was expecting like a new planet or at least more new maps. So lame. Multiplayer was pretty fun but the coop got so boring and even the MP got lame too due to my not great luck with getting gear. The barrier to doing anything cool in that game was staggering to me, even compared to actual MMOs.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

My best guess is that they wanted to do the WoW thing but later realized that making content for a FPS takes much, much longer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Last Story would be so cool as a N3DS game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neo Rasa posted:

I actually did trade the game in when I found that out too. For the price I was expecting like a new planet or at least more new maps. So lame. Multiplayer was pretty fun but the coop got so boring and even the MP got lame too due to my not great luck with getting gear. The barrier to doing anything cool in that game was staggering to me, even compared to actual MMOs.

Seriously, if the DLC for Destiny was like, Jupiter and Saturn, I'd be all over that poo poo. I'd be throwing my money at them.

But they're just doing more of the Earth, Moon, Mars and Venus for the next like 3 DLC expansions? :effort:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm actually really enjoying Destiny, but as a straight FPS with the option of doing a little bit of patrolling on the side. If you approach it as the FPS version of an ARPG/MMO that it hyped itslef up to be, the content is very sparse and the DLC looks like a serious rip-off, even in the context of overpriced DLC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

Until you get to level 26-30 honestly. Which is to say level 20 and a lot of grinding.

I think it took me longer to get to 26 than it did to beat the game. Also gently caress Destiny and gently caress their lovely DLC plan, the expansion actively makes the game worse for people that don't have it because the daily and weekly/nightfall rotate between DLC only and vanilla. Which means that, if you don't have the DLC, you can't actually do like half of the possible things you can do to make grinding less unbearable. And it is unbearable otherwise, let me tell you. Unless you get a really loving lucky drop, you need to buy purple or exotic armor to level past 20. To buy a purple stuff you need to be rank 3 in the vanguard vender for your class or for the crucible people. Technically you can buy some at 2, but whatever. Then you need something like 400 vanguard/crucible marks for a full set of armor (you can get up to 100 marks per week through vanguard playlists or crucible, plus a few from the daily/weekly so gently caress you if you don't have the DLC). And, naturally, the marks aren't interchangeable. Exotic poo poo is even worse because you need strange coins for that, and those are mostly tied to the weekly bullshit so, again, gently caress you go buy the DLC. And even after you get the stupid armor, you still need to upgrade it. You must need at least 18 ascendant shards per piece of purple armor (which are mostly rewards for the daily stuff, gently caress you, buy DLC, etc). The best way to level is to make a bunch of characters of the same class and feed them into one another, and that's loving stupid.

And there's only a handful of strikes, so you'll end up shooting that loving tank on loving Mars for half an hour like twelve times a week. And that's not even taking into account that rear end in a top hat space Ninja Turtle with the chaingun, seriously he can go gently caress himself. There's nothing to do in that game and the game almost never rewards you for doing it. At first it was just dull, but the more I think about the game the angrier I get at how it's designed. The entire story mode is just teaching you how to grind for the raid at the end, which is the one thing they put any effort into.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the shooting is top-notch, but you're going to be shooting the same things over and over again (even by FPS standards) and the loot is extremely slow and sparse compared to a real RPG. If all you care about is the next drop the game will be unbearable (e: see above. There is no way to make progress faster than the game wants to let you so trying to put in extra time to speed it up just makes you want to kill yourself or Bungie.) but if you like the shooting it can be fun to kick back an hour at a time indefinitely.

The next DLC got pushed back a couple of months while they redo some systems, so we don't know what'll be in it yet.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 20, 2015

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

Destiny is awful.

It is the worst game you will ever sink 1000 hours into.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno how you could sink 1000 hours into that game, there's nothing in it. All you do is pick up garbage and scan things with Dinklebot. It's a tedium simulator. The shooting is fantastic, maybe the best in any video game to date, but the enemies suck and aren't fun to fight. The robots are the worst, though. Teleporting is not a fun gimmick.

fake edit: well, worst outside of bosses. The boss design in Destiny is teeeeeeerrible outside of the raid.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Two of my buddies still play Destiny, and not together. But they're not huge losers like me with opinions on video games.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno how you could sink 1000 hours into that game, there's nothing in it. All you do is pick up garbage and scan things with Dinklebot. It's a tedium simulator. The shooting is fantastic, maybe the best in any video game to date, but the enemies suck and aren't fun to fight. The robots are the worst, though. Teleporting is not a fun gimmick.

fake edit: well, worst outside of bosses. The boss design in Destiny is teeeeeeerrible outside of the raid.

This is how it begins...

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It's a bullet sponge hell, I tell ya.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
God of War 4 Remastered announcement leaked...
https://translate.google.it/transla...t-text=&act=url

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, I absolutely love Rogue Legacy - probably played about 60 hours of it by now. Are there any other PS4 games that scratch a similar itch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumiester posted:

So, I absolutely love Rogue Legacy - probably played about 60 hours of it by now. Are there any other PS4 games that scratch a similar itch?

Try Binding of Isaac and Spelunky. They're not exactly the same but they both have the "play over and over" design philosophy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

And there's only a handful of strikes, so you'll end up shooting that loving tank on loving Mars for half an hour like twelve times a week. And that's not even taking into account that rear end in a top hat space Ninja Turtle with the chaingun, seriously he can go gently caress himself. There's nothing to do in that game and the game almost never rewards you for doing it. At first it was just dull, but the more I think about the game the angrier I get at how it's designed. The entire story mode is just teaching you how to grind for the raid at the end, which is the one thing they put any effort into.

Valus Ta’aurc. That motherfucker.

Worse bullet sponge enemy I've ever encountered, even somehow worse than anything in Borderlands 2.

It sucks because the shooting in Destiny IS really fun. It probably is like the best halo shooter game yet. But it would have been better just giving us a nice proper halo co-op campaign.

What the game really needs is something like Diablo 3's Reaper of Souls, where they added in Bounty mode and Rifts. Destiny desperately needs some kinda funky variety mode like rifts.

They have patrol mode but its so overwhelmingly half-assed. "Go kill some rare enemy until you get 5 nano-dicks" You don't even get to talk to NPCs to accept the quests, you just drive around in circles hitting up little beacons, and then you get a cell phone call from Malcom Reynolds.

They have a few events where the game drops a boss and a few waves of enemies into a patrol zone and everybody can team up and go hog wild killing dudes together and its actually kinda fun and kinda feels like an MMO for once. They should have focused on that, let players drop beacons wherever they want and then have waves and waves of dudes show up to the beacon to see how long you can survive. Then patrol mode turns into wandering around finding other players defending beacons and joining them.

But nope, better just add more "story" adventures with dinklebot instead :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 20, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Red Warrior posted:

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You mean 3, I hope. There is no 4 and no one wants to buy an Ascension remake.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Stumiester posted:

Yes, play Binding of Issac. Someone else who can share my pain. Not that it's especially hard, just a bit of a learning curve.

Manatee Cannon posted:

After you get three characters to 32, I dunno what's left but to level up.. weapons? Amass resources for the next expansion until the next expansion introduces new resources?

You can always rep grind and do PVP forever. Although the people I see streaming Destiny on Twitch are almost universally doing Strikes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stumiester posted:

Oddworld maybe? Lacks the combat aspect but it has the same dying over and over to try to survive a platforming environment thing.

Really you should go play Symphony of the Night :cheeky:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ImpAtom posted:

Try Binding of Isaac and Spelunky. They're not exactly the same but they both have the "play over and over" design philosophy.

And don't let the initial impression of Isaac turn you off. There's a lot of fecal/baby humor, but the core gameplay is rock loving solid and so much fun. My ps4 has been an Isaac box since it came out.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is it weird that I'd recommend Aria over SotN?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

haveblue posted:

You mean 3, I hope. There is no 4 and no one wants to buy an Ascension remake.

Oh yeah that one. Typo'd.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I still see my cousin playing Destiny pretty much every night of the week. It just completely baffles me. Like, I played Halo 2/3 nonstop when I was a kid but that's because the competitive multiplayer had a ton of content and was very balanced. In comparison, the PvP in Destiny feels just so shallow and repetitive.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Manatee Cannon posted:

Destiny is a horrible poo poo game but they did manage to rope in a shitload of dudebro shooty players who now basically waste their lives playing a grindy mmo-lite. I'm sure the first company to release an actual good game of this type will be printing money, now that they have captivated a whole new group of players.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Takoluka posted:

No, Aria is also one hell of a game. I prefer it over Symphony as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I still see my cousin playing Destiny pretty much every night of the week. It just completely baffles me. Like, I played Halo 2/3 nonstop when I was a kid but that's because the competitive multiplayer had a ton of content and was very balanced. In comparison, the PvP in Destiny feels just so shallow and repetitive.

It is. There's no vehicles (still can't loving believe Bungie made Destiny without some kinda warthog or any multi-person vehicles at all, what the gently caress is that noise?) there's only 3 weapon categories and there's pretty lovely map selection.

Comparing the competitive Destiny to Halo is a complete joke. So Destiny has to live and die by its strikes and raids, which are way too drat repetitive, and patrol mode which is even worse.

Syrinxx posted:

Destiny is a horrible poo poo game but they did manage to rope in a shitload of dudebro shooty players who now basically waste their lives playing a grindy mmo-lite. I'm sure the first company to release an actual good game of this type will be printing money, now that they have captivated a whole new group of players.

Yeah the Destiny thread is full of dudebros who've never played an RPG before, who are now grinding for the first time.

I guess its not that different than the time I spent with Everquest, but that was back in 1999. :corsair:

Its very obvious looking at Destiny's mechanics and "quests" and drop RNG that Bungie has never made an RPG before.
I guess kudos to them that they found a way to sell lovely RPGs to the FPS market. :shrug:

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Harlock posted:

You can always rep grind and do PVP forever. Although the people I see streaming Destiny on Twitch are almost universally doing Strikes.

I stopped playing Destiny 2.5 weeks after release day and have zero urge to ever play it again, but I'm curious about the current state of PvP. Did Bungie ever add Capture the Flag or any other type of actual objective-based mode, or after all this time is it still just four lazy variations of Deathmatch?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Undead Muppet posted:

I stopped playing Destiny 2.5 weeks after release day and have zero urge to ever play it again, but I'm curious about the current state of PvP. Did Bungie ever add Capture the Flag or any other type of actual objective-based mode, or after all this time is it still just four lazy variations of Deathmatch?

Nope! Hope you like Bungie's "Salvage" instead which is worse in every conceivable way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."

Takoluka posted:

Both are awesome games but Aria's variety of abilities is pretty cool. :)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I can't recommend this game enough. I loved the poo poo out of it when it came out and not nearly enough people played it. The battle system is amazing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Aria has a much more streamlined control scheme, but SotN lets you do a lot more at once without needing to switch which souls you have equipped. Shame it doesn't let you swap between two sets like the sequel.

Final Fantasy XV is pretty much a cross between The Last Story and Dragon's Dogma, especially the latter. It's weird, since when I played DD I created a character that looked just like Noctis, down to having one red eye like in that trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

Ha! gently caress the idiot earlier in this thread that said this wasn't possible.

• Locked thread