Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

tijag posted:

Well, it seems clear that the media is making a big deal about it, but I don't feel it's unjustified.

Counter-point: everything else happening on the entire Earth is more important than one rich old drunk acting badly somewhere 99.99% of the world will never even visit. You don't get to pretend to be a "serious" news outlet and spend a huge share of your time jacking it to the self-inflicted career problems of one fat bald bastard who makes dumb jokes you don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/watch-jeremy-clarksons-extraordinary-rant-5367242

Good News everyone! the LaFerarri is going to do a lap of the TG track!

Bad news: Followed by the last ever lap that JC will do as TG is past tense now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp

At least it went out with a bang.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hell of a season to end the show on, but a drat shame they couldn't do the biggest supercar test.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bloody hell, Clarkson, that's a long way to go to avoid the name change thing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, that is a massive "oh cock!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
drat it Clarkson....

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/03/popular-top-gear-host-jeremy-clarkson-set-to-be-fired/

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
a great run, a great show. Im sure more awesomeness will come hopefully on Sky.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Preoptopus posted:

a great run, a great show. Im sure more awesomeness will come hopefully on Sky.

It's going to be difficult to have on any channel that's funded through advertising. Right now, a car manufacturer can't threaten the BBC to stop advertising on their channel in response to negative reviews. On Sky they can do that easily. That's why there's hardly anything negative said on the US Top Gear.

I do wonder what happens to the magazine and the international versions of the show if the UK one dies, since they are franchises, not remakes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's why my hopes are on for-pay networks like HBO.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Data Graham posted:

That's why my hopes are on for-pay networks like HBO.

Oh man, get the whole crew to move to HBO. That'd be too good.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A new top gear on HBO would be sweet. You could call it "Overdrive" if that name isn't already taken.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
A weekly show like that Jamie Oliver thing that's supposed to be good but I've never seen? That would be awesome. There have got to be a whole bunch of providers like HBO and Showtime and Netflix salivating about this.

edit: I was thinking "Highest Cog"

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Armed men are taking to the streets in protest, apparently.

https://vine.co/v/OYAm6gvUMEr

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That is the worst Stig helmet I've ever seen.

:psylon:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 20, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

captainOrbital posted:

edit: I was thinking "Highest Cog"

The Penultimate Ratio

(So that it doesn't include overdrive :v: )

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

GutBomb posted:

It's going to be difficult to have on any channel that's funded through advertising. Right now, a car manufacturer can't threaten the BBC to stop advertising on their channel in response to negative reviews. On Sky they can do that easily. That's why there's hardly anything negative said on the US Top Gear.

I do wonder what happens to the magazine and the international versions of the show if the UK one dies, since they are franchises, not remakes.

The international versions will happily trundle on because BBC Worldwide doesn't give a gently caress and likes money. Also Sky might not want Top Gear because of legal problems, as explained in Popbitch.

popbitch posted:

>> Sky fall <<

Desperate media spinning from the Clarkson camp this week suggests that all the talk about him having no problems walking straight onto another channel might have been a little short-sighted.

Sources at Sky say despite his closeness to the Murdoch empire (column in the Sun; friend of Rebekah Brooks) they'd have some problems offering him a deal. Legal problems. For if Andy Gray and Richard Keys lost their jobs after ostensibly bullying junior colleagues with "unacceptable and offensive behaviour" how could they welcome Jezza and not risk Keys' and Gray's legal bods revisiting their case?

Seems like it's not just the BBC who are anxiously awaiting the results of its investigation.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If it moves to HBO, you could appeal to the wider American audience and just call it "Drive".

It's pretty funny (though I am devastated Top Gear is done before I got to see the SUV challenge) that the UK is freaking out about this so much. I mean yeah I get it, he makes racist comments, but compared to the poo poo that "legitimate" newscasters say and do on live tv in the US (think Fox News), this is just a serious non-issue.

Remember, Cheney shot somebody and then the guy he shot apologized. I mean sure, that's a politician, and it's hosed up, but still.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think it's more that Clarkson wants to retire and doesn't want to go out with a whimper.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

If it moves to HBO, you could appeal to the wider American audience and just call it "Drive".

It's pretty funny (though I am devastated Top Gear is done before I got to see the SUV challenge) that the UK is freaking out about this so much. I mean yeah I get it, he makes racist comments, but compared to the poo poo that "legitimate" newscasters say and do on live tv in the US (think Fox News), this is just a serious non-issue.

Remember, Cheney shot somebody and then the guy he shot apologized. I mean sure, that's a politician, and it's hosed up, but still.

Drive is taken though. See: /DRIVE on NBC :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Coming live from the best small village in Belgium, it's Top Geer!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Featuring the former hosts of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," it's TLC's hot new show "Queer Ear for the Straight-Cut Gear."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, David Hasselhoff got already talk show in Finland, so our MTV3 might try to create a british spinoff called "Ajoneuvos: Iso-Britannia" or something? (Ajoneuvos being the no-budget ripoff of Top Gear format.)

Edit: With one host and three Stigs, since god knows we do not like to talk but we have several WRC champs and F1 drivers just idling here.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope Jeremy starts his own web-based show called 'Clarkson in Cars Getting Tea'. It could just be segments like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksbclJ4nGSQ&t=183

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Jeremy Clarkson Drives Jay Leno's Cars

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man, get the whole crew to move to HBO. That'd be too good.
If the bit about Clarkson 'getting in front of the problem' only after half the staff were seriously uncomfortable with the situation and were about to report him then I doubt you'd be able to convince the whole crew to quit their BBC jobs en masse and follow Clarkson to an uncertain future.

Sir Tonk posted:

Jeremy Clarkson Drives Jay Leno's Cars
That would be an amazing trainwreck since you know Jay would insist on riding with him.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Nill posted:

If the bit about Clarkson 'getting in front of the problem' only after half the staff were seriously uncomfortable with the situation and were about to report him then I doubt you'd be able to convince the whole crew to quit their BBC jobs en masse and follow Clarkson to an uncertain future.

That would be an amazing trainwreck since you know Jay would insist on riding with him.

The whole crew = May, Hammond and Clarkson. They've already said they won't do the studio sessions without him, and their contracts are all up. I'm pretty certain they would all follow him wherever he goes.

And yeah that would be amazing with Jay Leno's cars, they got along well on the show and I believe they are friends in real life.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The whole crew = May, Hammond and Clarkson. They've already said they won't do the studio sessions without him, and their contracts are all up. I'm pretty certain they would all follow him wherever he goes.
I was referring to the "everyone else" that it takes to actually put on a show. (producers, cinematographers, editors, sound designers, etc.)
TopGear was regularly pumping out amazing television that the 3 hosts were part of but they weren't exactly the ones making it happen.

If another network picks up Clarkson, May, and Hammond I'm not sure they'll have the same level of behind-the-scenes talent backing up the comedy bits.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

It's pretty funny (though I am devastated Top Gear is done before I got to see the SUV challenge) that the UK is freaking out about this so much.

Me too. I really wanted to see the XJ in action before and after they intentionally rolled it down a hill.

It's kind of symbolic, actually...http://gfycat.com/SparseFinishedGermanspaniel

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wouldn't mind if Top gear was just a longer news segment with some specials and challenges sprinkled in.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

sincx posted:

That is a good point.

A lot of viewers love Clarkson, but who knows how he's really viewed among the staff.

The talent is sometimes a dick. It happens on shoots and you get over it. What's more interesting is that the other guy is now forever known as the producer who killed top gear. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes him to land a new gig.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah what I don't get is his spokesperson is like "Oisin loves his job and would never want to leave it, he says it is a great honor to be working on Top Gear" when it's painfully obvious that this is in fact going to kill the show.

I am not saying that clarkson should get a pass if he really did hit the dude but come on, coming out the gate with a statement like that is pretty silly.

I do also wonder why they can't just fix this in the courts. Settle with a nice fat sum, they both keep their job, or maybe even neither keeps their job, but at least they show the last few episodes.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Yeah what I don't get is his spokesperson is like "Oisin loves his job and would never want to leave it, he says it is a great honor to be working on Top Gear" when it's painfully obvious that this is in fact going to kill the show.

I am not saying that clarkson should get a pass if he really did hit the dude but come on, coming out the gate with a statement like that is pretty silly.

I do also wonder why they can't just fix this in the courts. Settle with a nice fat sum, they both keep their job, or maybe even neither keeps their job, but at least they show the last few episodes.

Maybe we'll get a clip show out of this with the unaired films, narrated by the Stig.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

And yeah that would be amazing with Jay Leno's cars, they got along well on the show and I believe they are friends in real life.

I, for one, do really not care about Hammond's solo work since he is really boring beyond Top Gear, but really like May's shows and most of the time tolerate Clarkson's documentaries.

And actually I think that if Jay could find his stand-up persona and wit (lost since 1993) and couple that with the rough edges of Clarkson's style, it could work.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Guardian is reaching Daily Mail levels of constant coverage over what is essentially a minor thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/jeremy-clarkson-foul-mouthed-rant-bbc-top-gear

Nearly 3400 comments of frothing hatred towards Clarkson/Top Gear. :psyduck: Christ the way some of these people go on you'd think anyone who owns a car is a literal Captain Planet villain.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
it was a good run fellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://uk.businessinsider.com/bbc-trying-to-pull-in-stephen-fry-to-replace-clarkson-2015-3?r=US

Probably not even worth posting, considering the source, but the tabloids and the Guardian seem to be the only sources on this whole thing, and aren't we just spoiled with choice there.

Anyway, I'd watch it.