Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
I should clarify: I'm just in need of opinions on whether or not it's worth renewing (or getting new) certifications when there's not much money on hand at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, failed my 074-410. It was much more different than the 074-409 that I passed a few months ago.

Apparently the guy at the testing center said this has been happening a lot. Another guy was in there with me and was doing the same test. He failed as well.

Good thing I get a free retake. Now I know what to expect.

Can anyone recommend some more training material for the 074-410? I've been using CBTNuggets thus far.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
FYI the way I skirt the line is by putting the year I received the cert next to it on my resume. It's a good balance between being totally honest about expiration and lying by omission about it.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Passed OSWP over the weekend. What a total pain. Much more difficult than I had expected. I can't take AWAE until next year so I'll probably challenge some SANS certs in the meantime.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

UserErr0r posted:

I should clarify: I'm just in need of opinions on whether or not it's worth renewing (or getting new) certifications when there's not much money on hand at the moment.

IF you're looking into a job into those fields, yes. Renew your Net+ (Go get it, so you have 3) and put your Sec+ on your resume as well, if they ask, just say it went out, and you're going to renew it next, you just wanted to add another certification on top of it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How tough is the emc 10-001?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Bigass Moth posted:

How tough is the emc 10-001?

Not hard at all. Just cram hard right before especially the network/san chapters. Memorize and practice the calculation formulas throughout the book and you'll pass. Its got a lot of chapters in the book on The Butt (cloud) so read that. I got an 88% on my first shot after a week of studying.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

Gothmog1065 posted:

IF you're looking into a job into those fields, yes. Renew your Net+ (Go get it, so you have 3) and put your Sec+ on your resume as well, if they ask, just say it went out, and you're going to renew it next, you just wanted to add another certification on top of it.

Today I received the bad news that the university that I might switch to has much higher tuition. My tiny $280 tax return (just enough for a CompTIA cert, unless there's discounts out there I don't know about) might need to be saved for tuition. Stupid money causing problems as always. If I do manage to get a job by the end of April, I do plan on testing for the Net+ though, since it'll give me a new cert and renew the A+. I never see Sec+ on job applications and I have zero interest to do any entry level infosec related things.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What would be good to dive in to after the CCNA? Getting a CCNP without any professional experience seems counter-intuitive.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

icehewk posted:

What would be good to dive in to after the CCNA? Getting a CCNP without any professional experience seems counter-intuitive.

Get the other levels of CCNA, so if you got R&S, get CCNA Wireless or Voice

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm rolling through Gibson's Security+ book and it all seems in reach except for the cryptography section. Any recommendations for resources to help my crypto knowledge? I'm more or less starting from scratch.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

beepsandboops posted:

I'm rolling through Gibson's Security+ book and it all seems in reach except for the cryptography section. Any recommendations for resources to help my crypto knowledge? I'm more or less starting from scratch.

For cryptography you just need to understand the concepts.

You don't actually need to know how to compute an elliptic curve cipher, just know that it's a thing that exists, it's very secure and less computationally expensive which is good for mobile devices.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've been studying for the CISSP and I'm really quite disappointed with it. It has such a good reputation I thought I was going to be real step beyond the updated SY0-401 Security+, but it frankly doesn't seem to be.

Feels like its reputation comes from the very long exam rather than the content.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Baconroll posted:

I've been studying for the CISSP and I'm really quite disappointed with it. It has such a good reputation I thought I was going to be real step beyond the updated SY0-401 Security+, but it frankly doesn't seem to be.

Feels like its reputation comes from the very long exam rather than the content.

It's more of a management exam than anything practical like the Security+. The reputation comes from the fact that it was one of the first big, universally accepted designations and the fact that it provides a standardized level of competency for a wide range of professional functions that don't necessarily have to do with IT.
It's good to have but I think it "works" best when backed up by other designatons.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are there other security certifications that are valued?

I just learned about the GSEC from SANS, is that valuable to anyone?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Check out the Offensive Security certs.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The SANS GIAC stuff is pretty good. Cisco & Juniper have their own security tracks. Actually, pretty much any vendor will have a cert for their own products.

Find something apropos to your area of interest and go for it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

XakEp posted:

Check out the Offensive Security certs.

This sounds interesting. I read your earlier posts in the thread and I definitely want to give it a try.

How much should I know before starting? I'm pretty new to Linux and I've only got a Network+ level of knowledge in networking.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

beepsandboops posted:

Remember having to do vocabulary or history in school?

Pretty much the same thing. There is almost nothing technical about it. The hardest thing was how public-private keys are used, which is logical enough anyway.

Don't think you can just breeze through it, but it's the easiest certification you'll ever get.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Remember having to do vocabulary or history in school?

Pretty much the same thing. There is almost nothing technical about it. The hardest thing was how public-private keys are used, which is logical enough anyway.

Don't think you can just breeze through it, but it's the easiest certification you'll ever get.

This. Remember all the acronyms too.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I don't actually want to get certified / have a job, but I've recently come into some free time and I'm interested in how the internet works etc. Also I installed Ubuntu as my main OS recently and after a lot of fumbling I'm quite interested in learning about linux too and maybe figure out why I get so many errors. Is going through the CompTIA guides on this site a decent way to get some foundational knowledge of this stuff? It seems fairly comprehensive and well structured, but maybe there are better resources for someone with a more "casual" interest.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This sounds interesting. I read your earlier posts in the thread and I definitely want to give it a try.

How much should I know before starting? I'm pretty new to Linux and I've only got a Network+ level of knowledge in networking.

What you need to know before taking it is less important than the desire to see it through. I started with an good understanding of Windows and networking, but in the end Linux knowledge and understanding Python would have been far, far more useful. Don't let what you don't know stop you from taking the class, you'll learn as you go and you'll pick up what you need as you progress.

If you're willing to work hard and aren't prone to giving up easily, you should just sign up and learn as you go.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm applying for this job because I want a Sales Engineering position in the physical security field and know several people in the company. I don't personally know the hiring manager, though. I have lots of experience in physical security, but they're looking for someone with a heavy data center background. I have a CCENT (and am generally pretty proficient with networking) and I got my VCA-DCV before applying specifically so I could have something VMware on my resume. I'd like to have something else to show I'm capable and can learn the data center stuff quickly, but don't know what I should get. A VCP is out of my budget but everything else just seems tangential at best.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
The spec seems about VMware environments and they are boasting about their VDI stuff a bit, so maybe a VCA-WM or something like EMCSA? Both sound like they'd go hand in hand with DCV. I guess it depends if they're willing to have someone train into it, generally I've known sales engineers as a fountain of knowledge around their product set, and while you may kick rear end at physical security, if they're looking for someone to go out there with an account manager/BDM and sell VMware environments, they'd probably expect the guy to have alot of VMware experience behind them

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

The spec seems about VMware environments and they are boasting about their VDI stuff a bit, so maybe a VCA-WM or something like EMCSA? Both sound like they'd go hand in hand with DCV. I guess it depends if they're willing to have someone train into it, generally I've known sales engineers as a fountain of knowledge around their product set, and while you may kick rear end at physical security, if they're looking for someone to go out there with an account manager/BDM and sell VMware environments, they'd probably expect the guy to have alot of VMware experience behind them

I'm leaning kind of heavily on my ability to pick things up fast. My contact at the company is going to ask the hiring manager what kind of certs he's looking for and I'm going to study my rear end off to impress him in the interview.

It's a long shot but it's pretty much my dream job, so I'm willing to go the extra mile and gamble a little on some certs that might not be all that useful at another company.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Have you sent in your CV to them already? If you've already done that and scored the interview, then thats a good sign that they're at least interested in you, and the recommendations from your mates can be worth alot in a company of that size. Hell I work in a company of about 60 staff and the recommendation of two guys that already worked there was enough to get me the interview without even sending my CV in

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 17, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ahdinko posted:

Have you sent in your CV to them already? If you've already done that and scored the interview, then thats a good sign that they're at least interested in you, and the recommendations from your mates can be worth alot in a company of that size. Hell I work in a company of about 60 staff and the recommendation of two guys that already worked there was enough to get me the interview without even sending my CV in

I haven't gotten the interview yet; my friend sent my resume directly to the hiring manager on Friday. But I fully intend on getting one. :)

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

5 weeks to the day that ISC2 received my resume for verification I received the email saying my CISSP was approved and that it would be an additional 8-12 weeks before I received my cert. I took the test on January 15th. Good grief.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
I want to start working my way through A+, Network+, and Security+ and I'm looking for the current most effective materials.

My plan was to start with Messer's videos just to get a basic grasp and then do heavier study with books and such but the A+ and Net+ videos are from 2011-2012. How frequently does the material on CompTIA exams change? Is the information from those videos still an accurate reflection of the current tests?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Slig posted:

I want to start working my way through A+, Network+, and Security+ and I'm looking for the current most effective materials.

My plan was to start with Messer's videos just to get a basic grasp and then do heavier study with books and such but the A+ and Net+ videos are from 2011-2012. How frequently does the material on CompTIA exams change? Is the information from those videos still an accurate reflection of the current tests?

Once the test is released, I don't believe that the material within it changes. So as long as the version that Professor Messer's videos is covering matches what's posted on CompTIA's website, you're fine. The only updates that I'm aware of happen when they actually retire a test and come out with a new one (they'll probably come out with the Windows 8.1 focused A+ exam right when Windows 10 hits the market).

Same's true of the other two as well - so if Messer's stuff is covering the same exam version, you're good.

And even if you aren't, the material doesn't change that much, so you'd still get a lot of good from watching his videos.

Edit - in my opinion, the test A+ book is Mike Meyers' and the best Security+ book is Darril Gibson's.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Once the test is released, I don't believe that the material within it changes. So as long as the version that Professor Messer's videos is covering matches what's posted on CompTIA's website, you're fine. The only updates that I'm aware of happen when they actually retire a test and come out with a new one (they'll probably come out with the Windows 8.1 focused A+ exam right when Windows 10 hits the market).

Same's true of the other two as well - so if Messer's stuff is covering the same exam version, you're good.

And even if you aren't, the material doesn't change that much, so you'd still get a lot of good from watching his videos.

Edit - in my opinion, the test A+ book is Mike Meyers' and the best Security+ book is Darril Gibson's.

I'll second the book recommendations. Meyers has a net+ book that's pretty good also.

I'm heading into my last week and a half studying for ICND1, I've gone through all of the CBTnuggets, have subnetting down pretty well, and read Lammle's book, assuming I should just lab all week. I used to work on Cisco switches so I'm fairly familiar with Cisco IOS. Anything in particular I should go nuts on?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

I'll second the book recommendations. Meyers has a net+ book that's pretty good also.

I'm heading into my last week and a half studying for ICND1, I've gone through all of the CBTnuggets, have subnetting down pretty well, and read Lammle's book, assuming I should just lab all week. I used to work on Cisco switches so I'm fairly familiar with Cisco IOS. Anything in particular I should go nuts on?

How long did you spend studying altogether? I'm like halfway through the CBT nuggets and feel like other than using IOS I haven't learned a whole lot. I ordered the Lammle book too because I suck at reading digital texts and the one supplied was horribly dry, I hope to read through it once solidly and then skim back over spots I don't feel good about

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

crunk dork posted:

How long did you spend studying altogether? I'm like halfway through the CBT nuggets and feel like other than using IOS I haven't learned a whole lot. I ordered the Lammle book too because I suck at reading digital texts and the one supplied was horribly dry, I hope to read through it once solidly and then skim back over spots I don't feel good about

What video are you on? up to about video 16 its likely just a recap or slightly more indepth N+, but videos 16-40 are where I'd say it starts to get into some of the specifics and cool stuff.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

What video are you on? up to about video 16 its likely just a recap or slightly more indepth N+, but videos 16-40 are where I'd say it starts to get into some of the specifics and cool stuff.

Switch port control is the video I last watched I think, so that's good to know that it starts getting more complicated soon

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Looks like thats video 14, so you're right on the cusp. Video 25 will probably blow your mind, VLSM took me a while to grasp properly.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

Looks like thats video 14, so you're right on the cusp. Video 25 will probably blow your mind, VLSM took me a while to grasp properly.

Is that the poo poo where the shorthand for a subnet mask is a weird number that isn't a multiple of 8?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crunk dork posted:

Is that the poo poo where the shorthand for a subnet mask is a weird number that isn't a multiple of 8?

Yep. I'm used to it being called CIDR and had to look it up to realize they were the same thing. :downs:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Make sure you can explain terminology inside and out because a lot of the questions are focused on that. Every test is different but you really need to know everything. Lammle's book was great make sure you can do all the exercises and ace the end of chapter quizzes in your sleep.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah Net+ didn't cover that in depth at all and I don't get hands on enough with networking yet to know that stuff from memory so it will be nice to learn something new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KillHour posted:

Yep. I'm used to it being called CIDR and had to look it up to realize they were the same thing. :downs:

VLSM and CIDR aren't the same things, are they?