Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, I had no idea there was so much support and awesome mods for Wolf3D... I take back any and all hints of cynicism I once had, I'm not worthy. That's a hell of a lot of content, and if that Mac port is released, I'll jump headfirst into all of this ECWolf goodness. Thanks, guys.

Wamdoodle posted:

I'd like to see Blake Stone remade up like Wolfenstein: The New Order. Make it full on retro sci fi campiness, though :)

I would love to see this. I know it's mostly a somewhat-updated, Spacey version of Wolf3D, but I loved the poo poo out of Blake Stone WAY more than Wolf (and I do love Wolf!). Having a remake would be great.

Score!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

Someone make more ECWolf mods so I don't have to plug my own poo poo anymore.

Someone going by "AstroCreep" has been doing ECWolf conversions of old mods.
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=192

site posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why are all these mods so relatively recent? Wolf3d has been around forever, but even the oldest mod is from 95. Was it made open source around then?

1994 Wolf mod here, "Escape From Bautzen".

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

This is awesome and has put me in mind to start looking at Wolf3d again. Do you have any more advice on strategies moving from Doom to Wolf3d?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would love to see this. I know it's mostly a somewhat-updated, Spacey version of Wolf3D, but I loved the poo poo out of Blake Stone WAY more than Wolf (and I do love Wolf!). Having a remake would be great.

I think a sort of comic book art style would go well with it, especially if they do some weird and creative gore effects like the guns melting people or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Woolie Wool posted:

I think a sort of comic book art style would go well with it, especially if they do some weird and creative gore effects like the guns melting people or something.
Reminds me of the first quake 2 mod I ever tried that did cell shading and it was cool as gently caress. Too bad the game wasn't...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The main reason I'd want Blake Stone source port is so that it could utilize more than a few sound channels. I love the game, but having the gunfire constantly cut out all the other sound effects, even the music, gets really tiresome. I do really love me some BS and Planet Strike though, I think they're both underrated. Really neat aesthetic, hilariously violent, dope music from Bobby Prince once again, and the weapons were cool!

DIE, HUMAN!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'd also like to see some creative switch fuckery. Apparently some switches can unlock doors on other levels than the one you're playing at the moment. Add teleporters, those door-opening floorplates, decorative objects that morph into mutants, weapon that can blow through doors and other stuff really calls for some creative stuff.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah a lot of the stuff I see in Blake Stone hasn't (as far as I know) been replicated in even the more complex Wolf 3D mods. Dudes like to spend time on poo poo like...reloading (looking at you Eisenfaust Legacy <:mad:>)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How finished is the beta of Zero Tolerance 2?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Its pretty playable but there's a lot of pepto bismol on the screen from missing textures and unfinished poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SelenicMartian posted:

Jesus christ, I didn't even know this was a thing!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why are all these mods so relatively recent? Wolf3d has been around forever, but even the oldest mod is from 95. Was it made open source around then?

Wolf 3D only came out in 1992 3 years isn't that long. Also there were custom maps available starting in 1992, since the map format was very easy to reverse engineer. And the Wolf 3D map community is why the Doom engine has built-in support for loading external wads, to make things easier for modders (original wolf3d custom maps often required you to replace the original wolf3d files and keep a backup).

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
As someone who barely remembers playing the demo of it, is Outlaws worth getting for $6? I just saw that GOG got the first digital re-release of it, and I'm kinda tempted to pick it up since people seem to like it, but I'm kinda afraid of the idea that maybe it hasn't aged as well as other early FPSes.

Also, a week or two ago I finally finished my first (yes, first) playthrough of the Ultimate Doom. Am I the only one who really didn't care for the final/Ultimate Doom exclusive episode Thy Flesh Consumed? The rest of the game was fine (and actually kinda easy, probably because I played in GZDoom using WASD + mouse controls with auto-aim, crouching, and jumping disabled to help keep it as authentic as possible while using modern controls), but the final episode felt really different and almost unfair since it felt like those levels just tossed every enemy at you with little/no time to breathe. It was a little better once I got better weapons, but the first level threw me for a loop since I was used to how the game was setup until that point and I think it left a bad taste in my mouth compared to the original levels.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Episode 4 is really meant to be a harder expert set for people who already beat Doom and Doom 2 and wanted more.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thy Flesh Consumed is cool and E4M2 is the best level in any official Doom levelset.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm not a huge fan of Thy Flesh Consumed overall. I don't even like E4M1 that much.

But E4M2 is seriously one of the best maps ever, I do love it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

E4M2 is super great but the rest of it is sort of bleh. A lot of the vanilla maps are pretty boring at this point, though: both because everyone's played through them a bunch and because there's just so much good custom content out now.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Two questions:

I like to play FPS games with my FOV set to 120 if they support it. ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum support arbitary FOVs via the "fov" command, but the FOV resets between stages. Is there anyway to keep it set at 120?

How do you guys organize your Doom installs and files?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nintendo Kid posted:

Wolf 3D only came out in 1992 3 years isn't that long. Also there were custom maps available starting in 1992, since the map format was very easy to reverse engineer. And the Wolf 3D map community is why the Doom engine has built-in support for loading external wads, to make things easier for modders (original wolf3d custom maps often required you to replace the original wolf3d files and keep a backup).
Jeeze, you're right. It just feels like a long time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jia posted:

E4M2 is super great but the rest of it is sort of bleh. A lot of the vanilla maps are pretty boring at this point, though: both because everyone's played through them a bunch and because there's just so much good custom content out now.

I'm a pretty big fan of E4M6 too. But yeah, the rest of Doom is just so easy these days. Though in fairness it's miles ahead of any user-made level from 1994.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Obeast posted:

As someone who barely remembers playing the demo of it, is Outlaws worth getting for $6? I just saw that GOG got the first digital re-release of it, and I'm kinda tempted to pick it up since people seem to like it, but I'm kinda afraid of the idea that maybe it hasn't aged as well as other early FPSes.

Outlaws has aged very well. The level design in particular is really cool, the weapons are fun to use and the soundtrack is worth the price alone.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Woolie Wool posted:

Temporary Insanity by Nathaniel Roudak-Gould (1993, 30 levels. A showcase of the utterly bizarre things that the Wolfenstein engine can do. Many people have trouble running this mod, it may not work with the GT or Activision releases of Wolfenstein 3D)

Would you mind telling more about those bizzare things? I tried finding them myself via level skip cheat, but either they're super obscure, or I just don't have enough patience to go through those huge-rear end levels. There are no LP's nor screenshots of this mod, and the only clue is given via demo, which is just a static screenshot showing what has to be Wolf 3d's version of HOM. So, pretty please? Your posts about Wolf3D mechanics and modding were excellent, btw.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Episode 4 is really meant to be a harder expert set for people who already beat Doom and Doom 2 and wanted more.
Ahh okay... I never really considered that Ultimate came out after Doom 2, so that makes sense that they made it for people who played the poo poo out of the first two games.

Alain Post posted:

Thy Flesh Consumed is cool and E4M2 is the best level in any official Doom levelset.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Thy Flesh Consumed overall. I don't even like E4M1 that much.

But E4M2 is seriously one of the best maps ever, I do love it.

Jia posted:

I actually forgot about E4M2 until I looked at a little footage of it on YouTube. I remember that level was pretty fun and felt a lot more Doom-y compared to E4M1.

Also, I should check out a lot more of the custom stuff that's out there since almost every time I check this thread, you guys are talking about some new mod or level pack that sounds awesome.

Alain Post posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of E4M6 too. But yeah, the rest of Doom is just so easy these days. Though in fairness it's miles ahead of any user-made level from 1994.
E4M6 was also a very awesome level. It took me a while to really understand the level's gimmick with the portals in the middle of the main room, but once it clicked, I ended up really enjoying it.

Convex posted:

Outlaws has aged very well. The level design in particular is really cool, the weapons are fun to use and the soundtrack is worth the price alone.
Awesome! I'm still kinda on the fence about it (mostly because I have a shitton of other games between Steam and GOG that I've been sitting on for years that I've never even installed), but if I don't get it soon at full price, I will definitely get it whenever it goes on sale. :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Two questions:

I like to play FPS games with my FOV set to 120 if they support it. ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum support arbitary FOVs via the "fov" command, but the FOV resets between stages. Is there anyway to keep it set at 120?

How do you guys organize your Doom installs and files?

Add a line with 'fov 120' on you user.cfg. That should be good enough. Make it read only if it keeps reseting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Obeast posted:

Ahh okay... I never really considered that Ultimate came out after Doom 2, so that makes sense that they made it for people who played the poo poo out of the first two games.

Yeah Ultimate Doom was a result of the way shareware stuff tended to work in the mid-90s.

You had your demo, usually a standalone episode or set of episodes of a longer game, distributed for free or for very minimal cost to cover shipping and making disks/cds.

Then you had the registered version, with the full set of episodes/levels/whatever, that would arrive to you direct from the developer or publisher.

Then finally, a game that did well enough would get a full retail boxed release, which usually came with more stuff than the official registered version, often due to distribution agreements requiring that it be a "different game".

So that's why Ultimate Doom came with a 4th episode, and hit the shelves after Doom 2 was already a boxed product.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

Would you mind telling more about those bizzare things? I tried finding them myself via level skip cheat, but either they're super obscure, or I just don't have enough patience to go through those huge-rear end levels. There are no LP's nor screenshots of this mod, and the only clue is given via demo, which is just a static screenshot showing what has to be Wolf 3d's version of HOM. So, pretty please? Your posts about Wolf3D mechanics and modding were excellent, btw.

I don't remember many of them but the mod was full of weird poo poo like Pac-Man ghosts that would only give chase when you see them, or "burning" walls (diagonal walls with the tiles joined only at the corners so Pac-Man ghosts' damage effect passes through them), or walls you can walk through, or walls that change texture, or guards that emerge out of walls, or sections where your gun starts firing uncontrollably. I think the included text file has a detailed walkthrough.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 20, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just noticed now that Prodoomer V2 was released.

Such a strange, weird and wonderful mod. 400mb of WAD featuring everything and the kitchen sink. Various tweaks, improvements and an achievement/perk system now, plus a unified Weapon Power button rather than requiring a separate bind for each weapons unlockable special power.

The english is still borderline incomprehensible.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Convex posted:

I really like second level, "Sanctuary". It's up there with a great Doom or Duke3D map.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Obeast posted:

I played in GZDoom using WASD + mouse controls with auto-aim, crouching, and jumping disabled to help keep it as authentic as possible while using modern controls
Strictly speaking, vanilla Doom does have auto aim.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Strictly speaking, vanilla Doom does have auto aim.
Yeah, I just noticed that mistake. I was originally going to say 'with auto-aim off since I was using mouse look', which I know the original Doom games (and other games of that era like Duke3D) didn't have or use very often. For me, mouse look with auto-aim would feel really weird and probably make it either super easy since I didn't have to worry so much about where to aim, or frustrating if the auto-aim decided to aim at an enemy I didn't want to kill yet. I saw GZDoom does have a 'smart' auto-aim option, but I still prefer to have full control on where/who I'm shooting rather than hope the game doesn't screw me over by aiming at a very weak enemy and not the super strong one I want to kill first.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If you want to stay vanilla but still use a WASD+Mouse setup, you should just turn off mouselook so that the mouse only moves your view horizontally, and leave the vertical auto-aim of Doom turned on. It's not common, but some WADs actually position enemies well outside of Doom's auto-aim range and balance the encounters around forcing the player to close that distance in order to attack those enemies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Geight posted:

If you want to stay vanilla but still use a WASD+Mouse setup, you should just turn off mouselook so that the mouse only moves your view horizontally, and leave the vertical auto-aim of Doom turned on. It's not common, but some WADs actually position enemies well outside of Doom's auto-aim range and balance the encounters around forcing the player to close that distance in order to attack those enemies.
That sounds like it would probably cause hella motion sickness like the first gen oculus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

That sounds like it would probably cause hella motion sickness like the first gen oculus.

Why would it? It's literally how Doom has always been played. You move and shoot like in modern fpses, you just don't have the ability to aim on the y axis.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

site posted:

The autoaim in Doom doens't shift the view up and down, just when you shoot the bullet comes out higher. You can see this in action on good old E1M1, just see how close you have to get to the imp to be able to hit it with Chocolate Doom or whatever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arivia posted:

Why would it? It's literally how Doom has always been played. You move and shoot like in modern fpses, you just don't have the ability to aim on the y axis.
The speed with which you can look around with a mouse is much higher than a keyboard though (I guess true keyboarders might jack this up) and could cause disorientation. I know it messes me up but I grew up with mouse look so ymmv I suppose.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It disorients you for about 5 minutes until you get used to just going side to side.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

site posted:

The speed with which you can look around with a mouse is much higher than a keyboard though (I guess true keyboarders might jack this up) and could cause disorientation. I know it messes me up but I grew up with mouse look so ymmv I suppose.

“True keyboarders” never got the hang of Doom, though, since it was made from the very start to be played with a mouse. It was more that there was no actual z-axis to look up. It's not actually a 3D game, after all, but an extruded 2D one.

Of course, “mouselook” took on a rather specific meaning once true 3D games came out, where that third axis made a real difference.

Anecdote time:
It's kind of funny how Doom is often remembered as a game played on a keyboard. That wasn't really due to doom itself, though, but to how rare mice were. I remember a Doom competition held in 1994, sponsored by Compaq, which was run all on KB. In part because Compaq had apparently not understood that mice could/would be needed, and in part because the organisers felt that it would be unfair against those who hand ever used one if they were to compete against people who had — so all-KB it was. :v:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 21, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

site posted:

Been working for me just fine since I was a kid, don't know what to tell you. :shrug: Using free mouselook in not-gzdoom gives me a bit of a headache, if anything.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tippis posted:

“True keyboarders” never got the hang of Doom, though, since it was made from the very start to be played with a mouse. It was more that there was no actual z-axis to look up. It's not actually a 3D game, after all, but an extruded 2D one.

Of course, “mouselook” took on a rather specific meaning once true 3D games came out, where that third axis made a real difference.

Anecdote time:
It's kind of funny how Doom is often remembered as a game played on a keyboard. That wasn't really due to doom itself, though, but to how rare mice were. I remember a Doom competition held in 1994, sponsored by Compaq, which was run all on KB. In part because Compaq had apparently not understood that mice could/would be needed, and in part because the organisers felt that it would be unfair against those who hand ever used one if they were to compete against people who had — so all-KB it was. :v:

I can't remember how I played Wolfenstein but, yeah, when Doom/Doom II got released, I was definitely using a mouse as part of my control scheme.

What really hosed me up initially, though, was being 10 or 11 and figuring out how to play Quake. At least with Doom, I recall that my mouse was used in the locomotion of the character. With Quake, it felt very strange to understand that the mouse was best off being used exclusively as a way to look around/aim. I went through a lot of really clumsy experimental control schemes in the beginning until I figured out the best solution.

Had a friend who used a trackball mouse for these games, though. Man, that was not comfortable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I can't stand using the mouse in Doom/Wolf3D because the y-axis moves and that's really lovely since a mouse isn't fixed like a joystick is. Chocolate Doom and DOSbox letting me disable the mouse Y-Axis makes them way way more playable.