Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It frustrates me that we have to be polite about stuff like that. Like if a guy stabbed a person to death, you wouldn't see him on late night shows (outside Japan), being interviewed by news organizations about how he felt about important issues, or (PROBABLY) being elected into high government positions. However if you blatantly abuse the justice system and kill a person that way then get away with it, well that's just fine and it would be uncouth to mention it every time that scum was seen in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ogmius815 posted:

lol John Bolton isn't a serious candidate. He has the charisma of a slime mold.

Like, he looks like your creepy church deacon.

He must have spent a fortune putting ads in my Twitter feed. I don't know how granular the control is but I live in a fairly liberal area and most of the relevant accounts I follow go from gay to liberal to super, super liberal. Worst of all they were the dumbest tweets imaginable, ranging from dumb as hell to almost nonsensical. And when you clicked on them all the replies were people trolling him. Yet the ads kept appearing constantly.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 20, 2015

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Three Olives posted:

He must have spent a fortune putting ads in my Twitter feed. I don't know how granular the control is but I live in a fairly liberal area and most of the relevant accounts I follow go from gay to liberal to super, super liberal. Worst of all they were the dumbest tweets imaginable, ranging from dumb as hell to almost non-nonsensical. And when you clicked on them all the replies were people trolling him. Yet the ads kept appearing constantly.

I mean I guess he's need that considering that almost no one other than D&D type politics junkies has any clue who John Bolton is.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean I guess he's need that considering that almost no one other than D&D type politics junkies has any clue who John Bolton is.

Surely it wouldn't take long for anyone unfamiliar with him to realize that his MO could be charitably described as useless prick. He's not even liked on the right wing, is he?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ben Carson says make the Ukraine part of NATO, arm it; his solution to the Israel 1 state/2 state issue is to make Israel 1 state, then carve a new Palestinian state out of Egypt

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Three Olives posted:

Surely it wouldn't take long for anyone unfamiliar with him to realize that his MO could be charitably described as useless prick. He's not even liked on the right wing, is he?
He's on the libertarian poo poo-list (Bolton is -- hope you're sitting down -- is interventionist and has criticized Rand Paul etc.) but I think your average conservative likes him OK. I think Bolton's only path to nomination would be if the wheels fell off every other "establishment" option, and even then there might be a move to get some random person to step in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Can't we just carve a couple acres out of the Sinai and send Ben Carson there?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Necc0 posted:

I'm guessing you haven't seen the original

The perfectly placed Dean Scream is what sealed it imo

Thinking about it now, the only thing it was really missing to make it truly D&D was a couple of scenes featuring the ghost of Ronald Reagan in place of the stalker/murderer of the original. (Hell, if they could have used video of that one Republican debate with Reagan's head on the screen...)

But I can see why that probably wouldn't fly.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Does he want Russia to go full paranoid and bring out the nukes?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Slaan posted:

Does he want Russia to go full paranoid and bring out the nukes?

Carson has shown time after time after time that he has extremely little knowledge about any sort of geo politics or even US politics. As far as I can tell the entire explination for Ben Carson is he was gifted black doctor that said Obama and Obamacare sucks and he became just the latest black friend of the GOP like Steel and Cain before him. He could have used that position to become some sort of thought leader on a GOP overhaul on the broken US medical care system but oops it turns out he didn't really understand Obamacare that well because he is a neurosurgeon and as such has extremely limited interaction with the business end of the healthcare system and really doesn't substantially disagree with the ACA. Inexplicably he decided to give up his talents and become a right wing political celebrity that has no idea what he is talking about but as a right wing political celebrity feels obligated to run his mouth anyways.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Finally, a realistic solution. :patriot:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

Carson has shown time after time after time that he has extremely little knowledge about any sort of geo politics or even US politics. As far as I can tell the entire explination for Ben Carson is he was gifted black doctor that said Obama and Obamacare sucks and he became just the latest black friend of the GOP like Steel and Cain before him. He could have used that position to become some sort of thought leader on a GOP overhaul on the broken US medical care system but oops it turns out he didn't really understand Obamacare that well because he is a neurosurgeon and as such has extremely limited interaction with the business end of the healthcare system and really doesn't substantially disagree with the ACA. Inexplicably he decided to give up his talents and become a right wing political celebrity that has no idea what he is talking about but as a right wing political celebrity feels obligated to run his mouth anyways.

Actually he was in favor of single payer before he decided fleecing rubes was viable retirement gig.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/rick-perry-executed-an-innocent-man-after-prosecutor-hid-evidence-in-kids-arson-deaths-texas-bar/

This needs to follow Perry forever, dude was incredulous about giving Willingham any shred of a chance and then canned everyone involved with the investigation. It's been a big deal amongst the left in Texas for a while now. Hopefully this, combined with Perry's run, will give it some more attention.

You guys have a hosed up system, I mean, a prosecutor withholds evidence that makes a man spend 25 years behind and get 10 days jail for being naughty.
Why not carve out Palestine in Texas? Similar climate and the inhabitants there is all immigrants who are basically the same as all other Americans.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2015

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Rincewinds posted:

You guys have a hosed up system, I mean, a prosecutor withholds evidence that makes a man spend 25 years behind and get 10 days jail for being naughty.

Why not carve out Palestine in Texas? Similar climate and the inhabitants there is all immigrants who are basically the same as all other Americans.

We already have a Palestine, TX.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Chadderbox posted:

We already have a Palestine, TX.
See, Palestinians already have a claim.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Palestinians have suffered enough.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah you don't want to live in that part of Texas, it's worse than Alabama.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Pohl posted:

My neighbor told me today that without God he wouldn't be a moral person.

This is a shockingly common view. I've had multiple people reveal to me that the only thing keeping them from committing wide spread rape and murder is the guarantee of heaven.

People are loving scary.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

alpha_destroy posted:

This is a shockingly common view. I've had multiple people reveal to me that the only thing keeping them from committing wide spread rape and murder is the guarantee of heaven.

People are loving scary.
Are you a therapist? Are you Daniel Radcliffe in Horns?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

alpha_destroy posted:

People are loving scary.

This is a story people tell themselves to pump themselves up. It's no different than the common masculine belief that, despite having never been in a fight, one would be deadly and vicious if a fight were to break out. It's just a little tacky that they actually shared it with you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/rick-perry-executed-an-innocent-man-after-prosecutor-hid-evidence-in-kids-arson-deaths-texas-bar/

This needs to follow Perry forever, dude was incredulous about giving Willingham any shred of a chance and then canned everyone involved with the investigation. It's been a big deal amongst the left in Texas for a while now. Hopefully this, combined with Perry's run, will give it some more attention.

If nobody ever brings this up at every appearance he gets off his rear end to do they are a failed talk show host/journalist/human being.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

If nobody ever brings this up at every appearance he gets off his rear end to do they are a failed talk show host/journalist/human being.

You don't keep the governorship of Texas by looking weak on death row inmates, whether they sit in the dock rightly or wrongly.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are you a therapist? Are you Daniel Radcliffe in Horns?

Worse. I went to a Catholic highschool and then joined a fraternity on the campus of an engineering school.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is a story people tell themselves to pump themselves up. It's no different than the common masculine belief that, despite having never been in a fight, one would be deadly and vicious if a fight were to break out. It's just a little tacky that they actually shared it with you.

Probably true for the most part. One of them I feel really confident this is not the case. One of them was a pro- life demonstrator. She was for real.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 20, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

You don't keep the governorship of Texas by looking weak on death row inmates, whether they sit in the dock rightly or wrongly.

This is a one party state. Do not ever presume to speak to me on any matters of authority.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Along these lines, Carson's one passion other than neurosurgery is education. He could have actually used his celebrity status to lead conservatives in better public education programs. Instead, he just decided to become another celebrity whore who thinks he can lead the free world with his down home gut intuition.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rand Paul is attacking Hillary over the Clinton Foundation receiving money from countries like Saudi Arabia.

So, of course, guess who happens to be on Rand Paul's Re-Election Leadership team.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz is telling the media they should show up to his "important speech" at Liberty University on Monday. *hint* *hint*

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz is telling the media they should show up to his "important speech" at Liberty University on Monday. *hint* *hint*

We cannot afford a douchebag gap

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Rand Paul is attacking Hillary over the Clinton Foundation receiving money from countries like Saudi Arabia.

So, of course, guess who happens to be on Rand Paul's Re-Election Leadership team.

that's not gonna play very well in Russell County rand

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, in New Hampshire.

Also, there appear to be organized "Stand with Rand" events in many cities all on April 7. :raise:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, in New Hampshire.

Also, there appear to be organized "Stand with Rand" events in many cities all on April 7. :raise:

Say it ain't so, Joe. For a hardcore Catholic, I'd think it'd be problematic standing with Paul over all others.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ted Cruz to address the graduates from clown college class of 2015.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I want to be wealthy enough to start a scholarship for underachieving, well testing sarcastic brats

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wrap it up, Warrenailures, Martin's here to steal yo thunder.

quote:

The most serious structural reform we can make is reinstating the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act that kept commercial banks separate from investment banks. Under Glass-Steagall, our country did not see a major financial crisis for nearly 70 years. If that law hadn’t been repealed in 1999, the crash would have been contained.

The largest banks should be broken up into more manageable institutions. Today, five banks control half of the financial industry’s $15 trillion in assets. Even members of Congress, several Federal Reserve Board governors, and major players in the financial industry are recognizing that institutions that are too big to fail are too big to succeed.

Structural reforms aren’t enough. We must bring fundamental change to the culture of Wall Street, beginning with real accountability. To this day, the Justice Department and financial regulators have done virtually nothing to bring criminal charges or hold leadership accountable. Legal deterrents are critical for improving the culture of Wall Street and showing that fraudulent behavior will be punished.

We can solve this problem in a few ways. The first is to replace the leadership at banks that are repeat offenders. CEOs should not remain in charge of institutions that they have failed to manage properly.

Second, we must appoint people to positions — attorney general and SEC chair for starters — who will prosecute those who commit or permit crimes. Thus far, settlements have been nothing more than CEOs using shareholder money to buy their way out of jail.

Third, we must end the days of “neither admit nor deny,” and force law-breaking banks to publicly admit it. We have allowed big banks to avoid admitting guilt due to claims that it will cause them too much harm — it’s time to end that game and let banks face the legal consequences and harm to their reputation.

Fourth, we must make banks bear the full weight of financial penalties. As unbelievable as it sounds, the worst actors on Wall Street have written off large portions of these penalties — as if they were donations to charity. We should not allow banks to deduct fines from their taxes.

Finally, we need a “three strikes and you’re out” or a points-accrual policy — like the one drivers face — to revoke a bank’s right to operate if they repeatedly break the law. This would increase transparency, reduce recidivism and put banks out of business if they repeatedly disregard the law.

Oh, and White House Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri left her job for an as-of-yet unannounced new position. Whatever could it be? :iiam:

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

radical meme posted:

Along these lines, Carson's one passion other than neurosurgery is education. He could have actually used his celebrity status to lead conservatives in better public education programs.

Maybe that's what he'll be using the primary/presidential debates for.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

My niece was just awarded a $1,000 scholarship by Carson's fund. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this given the man's...uh...unique views of the world, but on some level it's noble of the guy and the scholarship program doesn't appear to carry any political or philosophical strings attached.

Have her look into some of the Koch grants, those are good poo poo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, Warrenailures, Martin's here to steal yo thunder.

Oh, and White House Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri left her job for an as-of-yet unannounced new position. Whatever could it be? :iiam:

Good. I want an actual Dem primary. Even if it ends after SC, it will be good to have the debates to get the message out, deploy and respond to vulnerabilities early, and help energize the base. You don't go into big fight cold, you train and work off the fat before it begins

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alpha_destroy posted:

People are loving scary.

Lol, now imagine what their version of heaven looks like.

Joementum posted:

I encourage everyone to read the comments. It's like an appetizer for the next year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sharkie posted:

I encourage everyone to read the comments. It's like an appetizer for the next year and a half.

They're adorably insane! :allears: It's just so cute, and delicious!

• Locked thread