Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Someone read that in one of Kendrick's stupid voices and upload it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Oh my lord, what's coming next is the comparisons of Kendrick Lamar is MLK and Kanye West is Malcolm X.

I can't even say that I even disagree fully with everything the reviewer is saying but WOW it's really blowing the value of the album completely out of proportion...but then again it's pitchfork so...

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Again I understand if they like his music but how does anyone write those Kendrick as cultural savior articles 100% seriously

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

Again I understand if they like his music but how does anyone write those Kendrick as cultural savior articles 100% seriously

To bring it around, is the dude who wrote the article white?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Skeezy posted:

To bring it around, is the dude who wrote the article white?

He says in the article "if I was white" but I have no idea

edit -nvm Im an idiot

bows1 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2015

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
does anyone know azealia banks' opinion of tpab because i think that is what will settle the matter once and for all

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

I can't even say that I even disagree fully with everything the reviewer is saying but WOW it's really blowing the value of the album completely out of proportion...but then again it's pitchfork so...
Yeah, I agree with this. The article isn't all wrong, it's just so loving melodramatic and overwrought that the entire thing just crosses over into absurdity, a parody of itself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yo! NMD Raps - If I was a white guy

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yo! NMD Raps - If I was a white guy

In all seriousness how have we not had a thread title change after some of the best quotables in this threads history?

The above is one of the best too!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm betting the NMD mods got really sick of reading the arguments about Kanye and haven't been in here since.

vvvv even that makes for a funny thread title: Yo! NMD Raps - because you idiots dickride garbo TDE vvvvv

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

all this dumb Kendrick poo poo is because you idiots dickride garbo TDE and think Kendrick is anything more than a good rapper

You created this monster

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yuzenn posted:

Oh my lord, what's coming next is the comparisons of Kendrick Lamar is MLK and Kanye West is Malcolm X.

I mean...but is he?

Like I do get a lot of people saying that folks need to pull up a bit or whatever about it but otoh if you really feel about this album like it's "What's Going On" or "Innervisions" or "It Takes a Nation" or "Straight Outta Compton" or something I mean why wouldn't you talk about it uplifting people, or changing the world?

I could just imagine dudes here back when James Brown first performed "Say It Loud – I'm Black and I'm Proud" reading about it and being like "whoa we need to calm down and wait a few years to see if this really holds up, I mean everyone's blowing this way out of proportion!" (as an aside that dude isn't even a "pitchfork" writer, that's a one-off piece)

Like 98% of what dude says is totally on-point. And some people actually get excited to hear things that not only do they like, but they think has meaning. Like so much music that comes out (and tbh is talked up in this thread) is pretty much just empty garbage. I mean it may sound nice and there's nothing wrong with that poo poo (I mean I listen to a ton of it) but dudes seem to think that's all music is-some bullshit that you use for getting turnt up or living out your trap fantasies vicariously. (also this isn't directed, I've at least appreciated what you've been saying and also the fact you have been actually engaging in discussion and whatnot, normally I wouldn't bother to mention it but I think in this case it's warranted to point it out)

I mean I personally may not think that music can change anything, but I'm a cynical misanthrope that doesn't think anything can really change anything. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate dudes who try to change things with music, nor people who are so moved by said music that they end up believing it too. It doesn't mean that music is flawless, or shouldn't be criticized, but using the fact that Kendrick's trying to make a statement (or that people are buying into that statement) as some sort of negative is dumb as gently caress.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Finally listened to Section.80 all the way through the first time. It was pretty good... but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEJheJZmWs
much rather listen to some Zaytiggy produced Gucci

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

all this dumb Kendrick poo poo is because you idiots dickride garbo TDE and think Kendrick is anything more than a good rapper

You created this monster

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYVmr2JPfV4

FREE GUCCI

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

BREAKFAST
LUNCH
DINNER

How are they?

Only listened to the first two but I'm really digging them as long as I can keep pretending Makonnen doesn't have any features. Can't stand that kid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tremendous Taste posted:

I mean that article is melodramatic as all hell. But the dudes point is pretty much literally that Kendrick isn't a savior. Just a dude laying out his thoughts and humanity.

quote:

Kendrick makes the kind of music that can lead you to fight for your own survival. He is not a savior or a leader, as some have attempted to cast him. He is a man who can flow.

Of all of the dumb thinkpiece's on this album that one is actually the one I can get the most behind. As it feels like it nails the purpose of the Album and is the closest that I've seen to representing what I hear when I listen to it.

But that last sentence was dumb as loving hell and comically unnecessary though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dexo posted:

I mean that article is melodramatic as
Yo! NMD Raps - I would look to hip-hop to absolve me. To help me breathe.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kendrick is not a savior or a leader, as some have attempted to cast him. He is a man who can flow.
I thought about genius (Kendrick has it) which, in turn, made me think of Kanye.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

quote:

@HipHopDX: UPDATE: @SugeKnight collapsed/unconscious after learning new bail set at $25 mill! http://t.co/U7P0bYvSs3 @SorenBaker http://t.co/GrYBPUyZN3

The pic of Suge is funny as hell too.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wait did someone actually compare kendrick to mlk and kanye to malcolm x? i cant read pitchfofrk somebody let me know.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
@HipHopDX: UPDATE: @SugeKnight collapsed/unconscious after learning about 2Pac interview on Kendrick Lamar's new album http://t.co/U7P0bYvSs3 @SorenBaker http://t.co/GrYBPUyZN3

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Shameful picking on the blind like that...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
now that i've had more time with it i'm thinking TPAB would be a much better album if it were just trimmed it to be tracks "u" through "i"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thathonkey posted:

now that i've had more time with it i'm thinking TPAB would be a much better album if it were just trimmed it to be tracks "u" through "i"

I agree that's probably the strongest stretch in the album(U to How Much a Dollar Cost) but I would think cutting out the previous songs would mean you have none of the context that Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, Institutionalized and These Walls provide for "U"

You might not need all 4 of those songs. But they describe the high of his success and how it turns into the depression of "u".

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 20, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I mean...but is he?

Like I do get a lot of people saying that folks need to pull up a bit or whatever about it but otoh if you really feel about this album like it's "What's Going On" or "Innervisions" or "It Takes a Nation" or "Straight Outta Compton" or something I mean why wouldn't you talk about it uplifting people, or changing the world?

I could just imagine dudes here back when James Brown first performed "Say It Loud – I'm Black and I'm Proud" reading about it and being like "whoa we need to calm down and wait a few years to see if this really holds up, I mean everyone's blowing this way out of proportion!" (as an aside that dude isn't even a "pitchfork" writer, that's a one-off piece)

Like 98% of what dude says is totally on-point. And some people actually get excited to hear things that not only do they like, but they think has meaning. Like so much music that comes out (and tbh is talked up in this thread) is pretty much just empty garbage. I mean it may sound nice and there's nothing wrong with that poo poo (I mean I listen to a ton of it) but dudes seem to think that's all music is-some bullshit that you use for getting turnt up or living out your trap fantasies vicariously. (also this isn't directed, I've at least appreciated what you've been saying and also the fact you have been actually engaging in discussion and whatnot, normally I wouldn't bother to mention it but I think in this case it's warranted to point it out)

I mean I personally may not think that music can change anything, but I'm a cynical misanthrope that doesn't think anything can really change anything. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate dudes who try to change things with music, nor people who are so moved by said music that they end up believing it too. It doesn't mean that music is flawless, or shouldn't be criticized, but using the fact that Kendrick's trying to make a statement (or that people are buying into that statement) as some sort of negative is dumb as gently caress.

First off, please do not think that I don't think that rap can be transformative or revolutionary or meaningful to the masses, I believe the absolute opposite to be true. It's part of the reason why I gravitated towards rap instead of Jazz or Blues or even Soul like my father would have probably preferred. I will say though that all those songs you listed all had cultural and social significance, but don't forget they were the exceptions and not the rule of each of their time periods, where this album is not. It doesn't fill some sort of imaginary vacuum where no one is talking about these topics or issues.

My whole entire problem isn't WHAT Kendrick is saying, but that trying to fit in all of these throwback and "revolutionary" feats happened in a messy fashion and the finished product detracted from how it all gets transported to your ears. The content ranges from busy, to distracting to the outright eye rolling and at parts the effort of blending different genres together ended up not being done so well. All of this distracts from the message. Even after multiple listens the album still suffers from all of these musical and technical issues no matter how much I try to separate them from the lyrics themselves. If he would have written all of his raps down in a poem book Pac style that's different but this was a studio album that is to be listened to. My issue is with the sonic problems, not the content or the lyricism. With all that said I don't think it's garbage, or even a bad album, but looking at what it could have been is even more frustrating considering the level of content and context and the ability of the artist himself. I'm not going to ignore the issues with how the project is crafted and how cluttered the musical portion sounds no matter how many BARZ he has, it's disingenuous to the medium in which he is best at. Kendrick at the core is a rapper, and it wasn't easy to enjoy him doing literally the only thing I want to hear from him, which is how he uses his words.

What's even worse is that people (this is aimed at internet personalities like bloggers and internet critics, not really any of you) are acting like he's the only rapper who is conscientious of his own internal struggles as a Black man in America and the struggles of the Black community. Less than a year ago pitchfork gave Common's last album a 7.7 almost entirely on the basis that Common doesn't live in Chicago anymore and wouldn't able to relate to the Chiraq of today (if that's how we grade albums then Kendrick who doesn't live in Compton anymore should get the same exact treatment). I try not to pay attention what these websites say but this is where a lot of people go to in order to figure out what music to consume, but they do a terrible job of evaluating Rap music to begin with and this is one of the most egregious instances. That aside, Nobody's Smiling thematically itself isn't so far off from something like TPAB and quite frankly is totally entwined with Africana influences and is as socially aware as any album I've ever heard. For some reason, that record or even Common himself isn't deemed some sort of Savior of rap like Kendrick is and it is mind boggling. Common is truthfully more lyrically talented than Kendrick and no one could even come close to proving to me otherwise so that's not the issue, so why isn't that album on the same pedestal as this one? What are the evaluating factors for Rap now? Are we evaluating music now on the intent of the content while completely ignoring how it is portrayed and delivered to us? Is it the uniqueness of the sounds that we put together along with the lyrics, cause if so Kanye West should never get less than 10/10. Is it purely because of content and lyrics? Then Tetsuo and Youth is the album of the year by a mile. If it's what it should be, which is somewhere in the middle then TPaB can't be at the front of the line (odd choice of words for a Black Rap album but it's the best I can come up with right now). I won't back down from the fact that isn't the album of the year, it's not even the best album in a month's time, and is certainly not the best album of the decade. Is it culturally important? Sure! Then again so much of rap can be considered culturally important too! This is a throw back album, it borrows and taps from so many older sources to convey the message, but these blogger and internet personalities have apparently have missed out on a TON of other rap works, and thus missed a lot of similar/better works. Had this album been put together differently maybe i'd be talking about it being the GOAT or album of the year or something but it wasn't so here we are.

temple posted:

Kendrick is not a savior or a leader, as some have attempted to cast him. He is a man who can flow.
I thought about genius (Kendrick has it) which, in turn, made me think of Kanye.

I 100% agree with this sentiment, if we wanna talk genius as far as music it's Kanye at the top of the list. However Kanye is so much more abrasive as far as celebrity and personality than Kendrick, and I get that turns people off but that has nothing to do with the music itself being on its own level by itself as far as genius.

All I want is for people to acknowledge and not act like (again not directed to anyone here, just with those bloggers and internet critics) Kendrick is unique in his message here, and lets not gloss over the fact that this album isn't as good as it could have been and isn't even his best work. With all of those things said, let's wrap up the whole "he's some sort of savior to the people" because of this individual work. I think he's going to be and is culturally relevant because of the entirety of his body of work and the fact that he will continue to keep making important music. If people want to point to this particular moment as the one "eureka" moment that totally ignores everything going on around it.

In short, TPAB is a 7-8 of 10 being held up as the greatest musical moment in history, which honestly is LUDACRIS (sic)

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 20, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Same.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

can we puhhhleaseeee stop talking about kendrick

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Feel free to start a topic people give a gently caress about!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yuzenn posted:

All I want is for people to acknowledge and not act like (again not directed to anyone here, just with those bloggers and internet critics) Kendrick is unique in his message here, and lets not gloss over the fact that this album isn't as good as it could have been and isn't even his best work. With all of those things said, let's wrap up the whole "he's some sort of savior to the people" because of this individual work. I think he's going to be and is culturally relevant because of the entirety of his body of work and the fact that he will continue to keep making important music. If people want to point to this particular moment as the one "eureka" moment that totally ignores everything going on around it.

In short, TPAB is a 7-8 of 10 being held up as the greatest musical moment in history, which honestly is LUDACRIS (sic)

Who the hell is saying this is the greatest musical moment in history. Even if someone is, like with most things take super hyperbolic statements like that on the internet with a grain of salt. As it's likely when Kanye drops his album someone will be making those same statements. Like I remember someone saying the same poo poo about loving Cole's album, and I'm probably one of the few people who actually like Cole around here.

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

can we puhhhleaseeee stop talking about kendrick

Nope. If you don't like the Kendrick conversation just ignore it, and if enough people keep ignoring it the topic will naturally move on.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

Who the hell is saying this is the greatest musical moment in history. Even if someone is, like with most things take super hyperbolic statements like that on the internet with a grain of salt. As it's likely when Kanye drops his album someone will be making those same statements. Like I remember someone saying the same poo poo about loving Cole's album, and I'm probably one of the few people who actually like Cole around here.

Over exaggeration on my part but the album is being put on a tremendously high pedestal, no? (Tbh, I'm going along with facebook status and the reviews posted here and i've just not seen much* to the contrary of those opinions besides the opinions of this thread) Hot 97 and 105.1 havn't said squat about it yet so it's not really a part of the radio discussion yet...all they've been talking about is 50's new EP.

PS. I'm in the I like Cole minority here too

*Right after posting this I was rewatching Fantano's review to make sure I was getting what he was saying clearly and he posted about this review of TPAB http://www.laweekly.com/music/nobody-hates-kendrick-lamar-5437598

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 20, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yuzenn posted:

Over exaggeration on my part but the album is being put on a tremendously high pedestal, no? (Tbh, I'm going along with facebook status and the reviews posted here and i've just not seen anything to the contrary of those opinions besides the opinions of this thread) Hot 97 and 105.1 havn't said squat about it yet so it's not really a part of the radio discussion yet...all they've been talking about is 50's new EP.

PS. I'm in the I like Cole minority here too

Sure, Because it's a really good album. Almost any Album that's generally considered to be a 8, 9 or 10/10 from an established artist gets that same treatment. I don't listen to the radio at all so can't comment on that.

Mostly I've just stopped caring about what opinions other people have and just like what I like. I read reviews to possibly get a different perspective, or to maybe pick up something I missed. But don't really seek validation on my opinions.

Mostly it boils down to Because the Internet being criminally underrated.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People are bored of Common. He could release the best album and no one would care because he's done the street messenger poet thing for years now. Someone said that TPAB is kind of like Electric Circus. I don't know if I agree but Common and Andre both were experimenting and missing that transformative sound that Drake and Kendrick can do effortlessly. Sometimes, people are just better than you and its not personal or everyone else's fault. I haven't listened to Nobody's Smiling because its Common and who gives a poo poo? I'm tired of hearing his deep voice rap....pause....rap slow rear end flow. Plus he said thickathigh thickathigha thickathicka thickgah on a song a long time ago and I'm good.

Dexo posted:

Welcome to my circle of friendship.

temple fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 20, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

temple posted:

People are bored of Common. He could release the best album and no one would care because he's done the street messenger poet thing for years now. Someone said that this album is kind of like Electric Circus. I don't know if I agree but Common and Andre both were experimenting and missing that transformative sound that Drake and Kendrick can do effortlessly. Sometimes, people are just better than you and its not personal or everyone else's fault. I haven't listened to Nobody's Smiling because its Common and who gives a poo poo? I'm tired of hearing his deep voice rap....pause....rap slow rear end flow. Plus he said thickathigh thickathigha thickathicka thickgah on a song a long time ago and I'm good.

Welcome to my circle of friendship.

Common should never be forgiven for his Get 'em High verse imho

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

Sure, Because it's a really good album. Almost any Album that's generally considered to be a 8, 9 or 10/10 from an established artist gets that same treatment. I don't listen to the radio at all so can't comment on that.

Mostly I've just stopped caring about what opinions other people have and just like what I like. I read reviews to possibly get a different perspective, or to maybe pick up something I missed. But don't really seek validation on my opinions.

Agreed, especially on the Because the Internet portion.

I guess deep down why it bothers me so much about what I posted is that certain people use these moments as a sort of "LOOK WE ARE POST RACIAL, KENDRICK LAMAR IS CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED, RACISM OVER" and it's so far from the truth. Singling out Pitchfork, it gets something like 600K unique visits a day but is a one way street when it comes to the discourse about album criticism unlike this thread; add to that all the other places that are going to say similar things about the album and it's going to sculpt and replace the discourse instead of being a driver of it. Fantano, even though I don't agree with them has a very educated and strong opinion about the album which gets 200,000+ views with I guess possibly some discourse but gently caress digging through the sludge of racism and bigotry that is youtube comments in order to see them. I'd tweet at him but he'd never see it.

Kendrick is the Jedi Master of all this though, because it's topical and relevant and got people to talk about the album.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ferg said it.
I believe it.
That settles it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

trim for length
I'm not sure I agree that the albums I mentioned were any less/more exceptional than this one. Like when PE was doing their thing, you had dudes like Brand Nubian, X-Clan, Tribe, Jungle Brothers, etc. Same with NWA where you also had Ice-T and Spice 1 and others hitting many of the same points. What's Going On was unique in a Motown context and paved the way for dudes like Stevie to get more creative control and branch out from the hit factory stuff, but there was dudes outside of that area who were definitely making more socially conscious/protest songs. And I do think that Kendrick's album has a shot at being if not quite up there, at least close. Even if his message isn't 100% unique, I do think the way the album's presented and unfolds is, especially in the current rap climate.

I can't really argue anything you said about how the album sounds, because even though I don't mind or think many of the things you mentioned work, they obviously don't for you. And tbh I think I even mentioned earlier that you could likely trim 10-15 minutes and get a better listening experience so you're not offbase at all. As an aside though I do think a lot of those things (the poem reciting/spoken word pieces, oftentimes wildly different production styles, etc) are the things that make the album unique and make it stand out more. And for whatever it's worth, some people seem to like all the stuff that's thrown around the rapping on the album.

And I do think Kendrick's a better rapper than both Common & Lupe (even at their primes, although Lupe's close), but that being said it's something that's definitely debatable. And also I think you're 100% right that Lupe and Common's respective albums should've gotten way more praise than they did-especially Common's which I think directly dealt with a lot more of the same exact thing's Kendrick's doing. Although I think it kinda supports your argument that the album's being judged on more than just the music because Common and Lupe were both Kendrick in the past but didn't deliver on whatever people expected from them so they're ignored much more (and in Common's case, just fell right the gently caress off for about 2 decades). I also do think that the stuff Kendrick's done is more "attractive" to the internet commentator/blogger types with the more throwback sounds, as well as the fact that I do think he speaks more to actual black empowerment and race issues directly than Common or Lupe did (they obviously addressed them, but it was often through the lens of something that afflicts the black community or something rather than like, King Kunta).

And fwiw Kanye drat near does get 10/10 for everything he does (I even joked that pitchfork was gonna save their 10 for Kanye's album before). His abrasive celebrity stuff even helps feed into his genius rep because not only do dudes discuss his music but how it fits in with his personality and psyche and stuff. Dude's gotten near universal acclaim for his albums.

As for your last point, one one hand I do kinda agree but on the other, the fact that this album is getting this kinda discussion (while actually being good) makes me think that just maybe there's something there. Like how I personally think Illmatic is amazing and whatever, but think it's maybe only one of a whole bunch of great music from that time (some of which I'd consider better), that's still the album that is always the first thing people mention from that period and use as a critical barometer.

And as an aside, I was pretty much saying the same stuff you did about the D'angelo album (I remember getting shouted down on Facebook for suggesting that he wasn't the greatest Neo-soul dude ever, and that maybe people wouldn't like the album so much if they hadn't waited 10 years to check in again on R&B but that's a whole other discussion).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

Agreed, especially on the Because the Internet portion.

I guess deep down why it bothers me so much about what I posted is that certain people use these moments as a sort of "LOOK WE ARE POST RACIAL, KENDRICK LAMAR IS CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED, RACISM OVER" and it's so far from the truth. Singling out Pitchfork, it gets something like 600K unique visits a day but is a one way street when it comes to the discourse about album criticism unlike this thread; add to that all the other places that are going to say similar things about the album and it's going to sculpt and replace the discourse instead of being a driver of it. Fantano, even though I don't agree with them has a very educated and strong opinion about the album which gets 200,000+ views with I guess possibly some discourse but gently caress digging through the sludge of racism and bigotry that is youtube comments in order to see them. I'd tweet at him but he'd never see it.

Kendrick is the Jedi Master of all this though, because it's topical and relevant and got people to talk about the album.
Because the Internet is a really amazing instrumental album, I'll say that much.

I've actually kinda grown to like Fantano's reviews simply because he does seem to try to stick mostly to the music (even when I don't agree). Noz is good at that too the rare times he actually reviews anything (although he often seems...burned out? something idk).

And I don't see the response being "racism over" (that was the obama election), most of the stuff I've read has focused on how the album is pointing at the very deep race issues still here. I DO see the reaction being "wow, racism is still here and bad, I'm aware now" and then dudes patting themselves on the back for being "aware" while not actually addressing any of the issues or whatever.

temple posted:

Ferg said it.
I believe it.
That settles it.
This is extremely ironic, especially in light of the study I read like 2 weeks ago saying how younger people are growing more tolerant of racism.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

And I do think Kendrick's a better rapper than both Common & Lupe (even at their primes, although Lupe's close), but that being said it's something that's definitely debatable. And also I think you're 100% right that Lupe and Common's respective albums should've gotten way more praise than they did-especially Common's which I think directly dealt with a lot more of the same exact thing's Kendrick's doing. Although I think it kinda supports your argument that the album's being judged on more than just the music because Common and Lupe were both Kendrick in the past but didn't deliver on whatever people expected from them so they're ignored much more (and in Common's case, just fell right the gently caress off for about 2 decades). I also do think that the stuff Kendrick's done is more "attractive" to the internet commentator/blogger types with the more throwback sounds, as well as the fact that I do think he speaks more to actual black empowerment and race issues directly than Common or Lupe did (they obviously addressed them, but it was often through the lens of something that afflicts the black community or something rather than like, King Kunta).

I dunno, so far I'd still put Lupe over Kendrick. Lupe's mixtapes were so loving good. And I'll still just let F&L and The Cool run all the way through.

And Tetsuo and Youth is still edging out TPAB for me as best release of the year. If T&Y is what I can expect from Lupe going forward then I'm excited. He's probably going to let me down again, but at least now I have hope since he's away from Atlantic.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've been searching everywhere, and I can't seem to find Molly.
Molly.
Molly.
:smith: