Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

I thought that short was bluuuuugh but if you dug it, you should see Fort Bliss. Very similar vibe, kinda went under the radar last year. I assume axleblaze saw it already because that is a man on top of festival films.

It's just fun to see a short film that's on the same budget level as something I could make. I sort of like that low-fi unpolished amateur feel, especially now that it's so easy to make something blandly glossy. The script doesn't rock me but that "we're making a movie" vibe definitely does.

Speaking of low-fi, who was it that brought up Demon Lover Diary here a couple years ago? I love this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhD5mrz8ho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy late to the party, but all of you who had been singing praise for Dredd were right, that was probably one of the best directed action movies I've seen in the past 5 years or so. I've never even read the comics or anything.

Note: Concerning action movies, I do still have to see The Raid. Is that streaming yet?

Neither one is, unfortunately, at least not in the US.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy late to the party, but all of you who had been singing praise for Dredd were right, that was probably one of the best directed action movies I've seen in the past 5 years or so. I've never even read the comics or anything.

Note: Concerning action movies, I do still have to see The Raid. Is that streaming yet?

The Blu-Rays of both Raid movies have been worthwhile purchases for me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's just fun to see a short film that's on the same budget level as something I could make. I sort of like that low-fi unpolished amateur feel, especially now that it's so easy to make something blandly glossy. The script doesn't rock me but that "we're making a movie" vibe definitely does.

I think I posted this soon after I got back from this year's Sundance but this fun little short film
https://vimeo.com/90733535
Was literally made for £50. I'm not saying it doesn't feel like that's about how much it would cost but it's still a nice little short and it's just nice that you can spend £50 and get into Sundance.

On another note, I'm kind of annoyed that I jumped the gun on posting a short because I found a short I've been wanting to post forever, but now I feel obligated to wait until tomorrow.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I didn't care for the Raid too much, and didn't see the Raid 2 because it apparently wasn't as good as the first one, but man that Raid 2 deleted scene that was like its own little short that was floating around before the theatrical release ruled. It was black comedy intensified so far that it went infernal.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Neither one is, unfortunately, at least not in the US.

The Raid 2 is up on UK Netflix, but not the first :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

I didn't care for the Raid too much, and didn't see the Raid 2 because it apparently wasn't as good as the first one, but man that Raid 2 deleted scene that was like its own little short that was floating around before the theatrical release ruled. It was black comedy intensified so far that it went infernal.

The Raid 2 was actualy just as good in a completely different way.

You know what? I'm proving this. Dickstream.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Land of the Dead pretty much meets the threshold for okay. It's worth a watch, but it's nowhere near as good as Romero's previous films. I saw it in the theatre when it came out and I've never had the desire to revisit it. It's still the last zombie movie Romero made that's even worth watching though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Literally The Worst posted:

The Raid 2 was actualy just as good in a completely different way.

You know what? I'm proving this. Dickstream.

Now?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anonymous Robot posted:

I thought generally people preferred the second while acknowledging that it's way too long.

The making of the car chase is still so great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrRhXItBWc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As someone who didn't like The Raid 2, I'll concede that, y'know, it's not factually worse than the original.As Dickeye said, it's just a very different movie and I found that movie sort of boring most of the time. Many people apparently don't feel that way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ten minutes.

I thought generally people preferred the second while acknowledging that it's way too long.

The making of the car chase is still so great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrRhXItBWc

I definitely would rather watch the first, as evidenced by the fact that I've dickstreamed it a million times and never gotten tired of it, but the second is a better movie with plot that isn't "punches"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Land of the Dead pretty much meets the threshold for okay. It's worth a watch, but it's nowhere near as good as Romero's previous films. I saw it in the theatre when it came out and I've never had the desire to revisit it. It's still the last zombie movie Romero made that's even worth watching though.

Not being as good as Night, Dawn, or Day is hardly a knock on a film, though. That's a pretty high bar.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

As someone who didn't like The Raid 2, I'll concede that, y'know, it's not factually worse than the original.As Dickeye said, it's just a very different movie and I found that movie sort of boring most of the time. Many people apparently don't feel that way.

There's something about dynastic struggles in Asian action movies that I love. The fact that it's also loving brutal in the fight scenes doesn't hurt.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Speaking of low-fi, who was it that brought up Demon Lover Diary here a couple years ago? I love this movie.

This is totes my poo poo.

Bookmarked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not being as good as Return, Dawn, or Day is hardly a knock on a film, though. That's a pretty high bar.

It's not as good as some of the remakes of those films, either.

Like the comical class struggle story is so unsubtle and insulting compared to the stuff in Dawn and Day, and there's really nothing else in the film to latch onto.

And John Leguizamo's in it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dickstream is going live right now

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That was me.

I get what you're saying and it's cool that a movie so approachable made a splash, but man every directorial decision in that is amateur hour. Flat acting, flat camera, flat storytelling. Flat flat flat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you want something like that that's an actual horror movie and not just a really great documentary, watch

Scary Tales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk86Uc8SJnI
The Jar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSg9MX-zwfs
I, Zombie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXS3G32jhYE

All of which look like they were made for zero dollars and negative cents, to various degrees of success. Or if you want a really great example of a no-budget horror movie, Messiah of Evil.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Like the comical class struggle story is so unsubtle and insulting compared to the stuff in Dawn and Day, and there's really nothing else in the film to latch onto.

The class struggle in Day is literally people screaming at each other.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of stuff Penis mentioned, you talked about a Black Panthers-related movie either here or on podcast. What was the title again?

Edit: Is John Leguizamo being in something a knock?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

Speaking of stuff Penis mentioned, you talked about a Black Panthers-related movie either here or on podcast. What was the title again?

Hmm, could be Night Catches Us?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dickstream of The Raid is temporarily delayed so instead we're watching the Charlie Work ep of Sunny.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

That's the one. Thanks.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

That's the one. Thanks.

De nada.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You, uh...might want to give both of those films a rewatch. The social commentary is about as subtle as a brick to the face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

With Anthony Mackie and Jamie Hector? That's good stuff.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I'm not running for class president.

Then what the gently caress am I gonna do with all these phony ballots that say HUNDU, rear end in a top hat

Also since it came up last page I don't think I'm currently nursing and grudges against Honest Thief but I guess I could start one if that's the way the winds are blowing

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

axleblaze posted:

https://vimeo.com/90733535
Was literally made for £50. I'm not saying it doesn't feel like that's about how much it would cost but it's still a nice little short and it's just nice that you can spend £50 and get into Sundance.

The timing on the jerk-off guy at the end is spot-on.

penismightier posted:

That was me.

I get what you're saying and it's cool that a movie so approachable made a splash, but man every directorial decision in that is amateur hour. Flat acting, flat camera, flat storytelling. Flat flat flat.

Oh, yeah, for sure, it just makes me miss making things. Though this shot is great, now:

who is she

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You, uh...might want to give both of those films a rewatch. The social commentary is about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Subtlety is overrated anyway. Nothing wrong with hitting people over the head with your themes, as long as you do it well.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

With Anthony Mackie and Jamie Hector? That's good stuff.

Still can't believe it didn't catch on.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh, yeah, for sure, it just makes me miss making things. Though this shot is great, now:

Yeah that makes me think those people could have some really good movies in them with a little time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Subtlety is overrated anyway. Nothing wrong with hitting people over the head with your themes, as long as you do it well.

I don't disagree.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Land Of The Dead is awesome. It's especially interesting because of the heavy similarities to Romero's original script for Day. I don't know if he did it on purpose or if it's just a reflection of how little things have changed since then.

Demon Lover Diary is really cool. It's a shame the only way to watch it is so low-fi, especially when you figure that Jeff Kreines very likely has a pretty pristine digital version at his disposal. Having never seen Demon Lover, I can't speak to the quality, but it would be dope if Scream Factory would put them out as a double feature pack.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are lots of subtle things going on in all four films (there may be and probably are in the last two but good god). The fact that it's all so up front with where it's coming from makes some roll their eyes but I love all that crap.

penismightier posted:

Still can't believe it didn't catch on.

Might be just me but I randomly stumbled across it and it's a subject I'm kind of keen about. I can imagine how hard it would be to find for someone who just likes movies in general.

Looks like someone's last known photo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

penismightier posted:

Yeah that makes me think those people could have some really good movies in them with a little time.

You can see them kind of working out the visual language in that short (also the incredibly slow and long closing credits so they can wedge in the full song lmao).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Looks like someone's last known photo.

Yeah that's straight out of a 48 Hours Mystery.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You can see them kind of working out the visual language in that short (also the incredibly slow and long closing credits so they can wedge in the full song lmao).

The brief musical interlude was just the worst thing, a big part of why it all feels cobbled together from other movies.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Got called a faggy snob today because I was reading Sight & Sound abd also had Film Comment on the desk. Specifically "Whoa dude, that's that real faggy snob poo poo right there."

...what if they're right? :(

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

morestuff posted:

Edit: Is John Leguizamo being in something a knock?

hell no John Leguizamo rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Quad posted:

Got called a faggy snob today because I was reading Sight & Sound abd also had Film Comment on the desk. Specifically "Whoa dude, that's that real faggy snob poo poo right there."

...what if they're right? :(

I hope you kicked them in the nuts for calling something "faggy".

• Locked thread