Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Clicked on this thread last night because of the title, bought the game ten minutes later, stayed up until 4am by accident. I regret none of these decisions. My city seemed to be doing pretty well and then everything broke down at once, turns out the line of trucks going to my cargo trains was blocking off every major arterial simultaneously, somehow. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Simple Simon posted:

So finally cracked and got the game. Is there any mods that are essential to making the game more enjoyable?

no, the game is perfectly playable out of the box. you just add mods to taste

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Kilonum posted:

Any chance you can do the Framingham (where I live) or Merrimack mouth (Newburys, Salisbury, Amesbury, Plum Island) area next?

I can try, though it would probably be some time before I could try them. Framingham seems pretty straightforward, it's mostly a lake region. You'll get pretty much all of Framingham with a slice of Natick and Ashland. I think the basic heightmap and some editing could net you a pretty good map without much fuss in the editor, if you want to give it a shot. I might be able to see if I can try something next week. You can get the heightmaps from http://terrain.party and edit them in PS if you're impatient enough.

Newburyport will be a bit more difficult but I like the idea of that region, it's very pretty and geographic. You can get Newbury and Newburyport in the buildable region, but if you want to build on Plum Island you'll lose out on Amesbury and a decent amount of I-95. If you don't mind leaving Plum Island as unbuilt beach paradise, you get a much better buildable map.

My next personal map (after Lowell) will be Pittsfield, which I think would make a very good C:S map. The in-game scale fits the entirety of the city, and it has a great, varied terrain including a valley, tall(ish) mountains, large lakes, and the Housatonic river. The only problem will be the fact that the game demands a highway connection, and there's no freeways in Pittsfield.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Working on an elevated road system with frontage roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to edit what roads you can build in the editor? For instance what if you don't want a highway connection, maybe just an avenue or something? Also only the 2 default T and cloverleaf highway intersections are available, I'd love to use some of the intersections I've downloaded within the map editor.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

I spent a couple of hours tinkering with color correction tables. These are more or less for screenshots, unless you're like me and enjoy playing the game with absurd colors. :downs:

Workshop link

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Made a pretty simple map based off of the Burlington area of Vermont. Loads of lumber and farm area, if you're into that kind of thing, no ore or oil though :toot:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410955979

Unrelated, I think a TF2 color mod would be pretty dope.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm positive that I had a Paradox account to download some CKII mods and I'm on the mailing list, but the password rest says none of my emails are in the system, and it also hasn't sent emails to any of them. I feel like Im missing something obvious but I don't especially want to have two Paradox accounts :confuoot:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'm positive that I had a Paradox account to download some CKII mods and I'm on the mailing list, but the password rest says none of my emails are in the system, and it also hasn't sent emails to any of them. I feel like Im missing something obvious but I don't especially want to have two Paradox accounts :confuoot:

Same here.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
For some reason they migrated it or something. I was having the same issue, until I signed up for a paradox account and linked it to my paradox account... :confused:

Yes I know.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Sterf posted:

When I was in Moscow I saw lots of stray dogs in the metrostations and on the metro, so yeah, working as intended.

Metro Dogs

Anyway, I can't seem to drain a lake. I dammed a side of it but somehow that created a vortex inside it constantly spilling over. And when I delete the dam, this happens:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410901947

Is there some trick to it?

You managed to turn the entire lake into a flushing toilet, playing like a goon.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Noyemi K posted:

For some reason they migrated it or something. I was having the same issue, until I signed up for a paradox account and linked it to my paradox account... :confused:

Yes I know.

Will do tyvm :ms:

e: follow up: where do I start with mods? I know I want zonable ped paths asap, is there any reason not to start with stackable roads and rail? Also probably going to want to mod the tweeting bird pdq

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The SimCity artist guy, Gula, put out another building. This time a clone of the Sun Trust building in Tampa Florida. Its a high-value growable 4x4 office building. Which is cool, cause the game needs more high-rise office buildings. I'm not sure why they're all small, squat buildings.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Chewbot, free the borean LUT. :qq:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Noyemi K posted:

Yes I know.

Unrelated to this post, but is your growable commercial building locked to a specific climate? I haven't seen it once on my boreal map.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully someone mods in orthographic projection camera sooner or later!

Well, there's an isometric camera mod.

StarMinstrel posted:

Do you mean it does it even if you keep the same filename? If so, what's the point of the big black UPDATE button :/

It's screwed up and overcomplicated, but you can update assets and stuff on the workshop.

You have to work on it locally (and work around any "same file / asset name" errors the game gives you), use the Update button, use the folder icon in the window it pops open to open the Workshop staging folder, then copy the updated local version over the file in the staging folder, then submit it from in the game.

kefkafloyd posted:

Maybe that's it, because there were no update buttons at all. It kept thinking it was a brand new map, even though it was the same map file, with the same name and it wound up putting up a duplicate. Looking on some other places I wasn't the only one with the problem, so maybe Workshop is just busted at the moment.

You have to submit it to the Workshop, then subscribe to the Workshop version to be able to update it. For some reason it doesn't consider local or modified versions of assets, maps, and whatever to be the same as the Workshop version for Content Manager purposes.

kefkafloyd posted:

This is just a workaround for the fact that we can't lay image overlays in the game map editor yet, or find some way of importing not just a heightmap but geological survey data. Many states and countries offer public domain vector geological data that displays accurate depth, height, and hydrological features. Hopefully these features can come to the map editor sometime in the future.

As a stand-in, I wonder if it'd be possible to take that data and convert it to a heightmap image or something.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Unrelated to this post, but is your growable commercial building locked to a specific climate? I haven't seen it once on my boreal map.

Interesting you mention that; I believe I tested it on a tropical and a boreal map. I didn't know climates could lock growables, so I'm not sure how this issue arose (or how to fix it!)

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

There seems to be something very screwy with how this game manages industry. I simply cannot get anyone to work in it, no matter how many transport and civic assets I give it. What's more, there's zero incentive for me to try to fix it, because offices are better and less hassle in every way that I can see. They're just a bit...dull.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409359952&searchtext=isometric

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Arnold of Soissons posted:

They changed their system a while back from forum accounts to paradox plaza accounts. You need to log into the forum with your old account, link it to paradox, and then you can log in the game with that account.

Edit: Crap someone else answered already.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pipski posted:

There seems to be something very screwy with how this game manages industry. I simply cannot get anyone to work in it, no matter how many transport and civic assets I give it. What's more, there's zero incentive for me to try to fix it, because offices are better and less hassle in every way that I can see. They're just a bit...dull.

Do offices produce goods in the same way other industry does? From the way I understood it, the chain goes Raw Materials (Oil, Ore, Lumber, Ag) -> General Industry -> Commercial. It's okay not to have raw materials since your industry will just import them (albeit at a higher cost, so you get less tax revenue) but you have to have industry or commercial has nothing to buy, and you need commercial or industry has nobody to sell to.

Honestly, I'm not even sure where offices fit in on that chain. :psyduck:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sydin posted:

Uh oh

You've just blown our entire society and way of life wide open

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Offices are the employment sink for when your industry runs into the export cap. But with the new commercial demand after the patch its possible for endless glorious fields of retail to do similar while also enabling even more industry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sydin posted:

This is a game primarily about traffic, dealing with it, minimizing it. Office creates the least amount of traffic in the game, which makes it very precious. It can be mixed into residential areas too for minimum commutes,and it can live in the most polluted hell for some reason too.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 20, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Roadie posted:

You have to submit it to the Workshop, then subscribe to the Workshop version to be able to update it. For some reason it doesn't consider local or modified versions of assets, maps, and whatever to be the same as the Workshop version for Content Manager purposes.

Okay, thanks. I'll do this for my next map and see how it works.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Simple Simon posted:

So finally cracked and got the game. Is there any mods that are essential to making the game more enjoyable?
Not a one, 20+hrs in and haven't even used cheats (besides plopping a single road piece down to bypass the weird tutorial bottleneck on move #1) yet. This is a good game.

binhex
Aug 17, 2008
Hey, so I made a map I thought people might enjoy. It's based of the height map data from Zion National Park (although I took some artistic liberties with highways + a train connection).

You start on the valley floor and have to expand to get up to the highlands surrounding the valley.

I really enjoy playing with the water in this game, so this was a fun map to make. Some good opportunities for dams etc in here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410988108

The valley floor

A nice twisty river

Some of the highlands around the valley

An overview of the map

Emerald pools + waterfall

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

binhex posted:

Hey, so I made a map I thought people might enjoy. It's based of the height map data from Zion National Park (although I took some artistic liberties with highways + a train connection).

Is this map temperate or tropical?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

WMain00 posted:

I APPROVE OF THE THREAD TITLE.

We need a mod for the game that replaces the Twitter thing with newstickers in bold letters explaining your regrets from bad planning.

Edit: Also, just saw the former Maxis person making buildings for this game, and the Patreon supporting them. They're now up to over 600 dollars per building. I approve of this wholeheartedly.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 20, 2015

binhex
Aug 17, 2008

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Is this map temperate or tropical?

Temperate I think. I wish there was a way to make the rocks a different color. The game needs a desert biome or something.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

evilmiera posted:

We need a mod for the game that replaces the Twitter thing with newstickers in bold letters explaining your regrets from bad planning.

This is a wonderful idea.

I ZONED A NEW RESIDENTIAL AREA AND FORGOT TO LAY PIPES AND NOW MY RESIDENTS ARE DRYING UP LIKE APRICOTS IN THE SUN. I REGRET THIS!

SHOPKEEPERS ASKED ME FOR MORE SUPPLIES AND I TOLD THEM, "GET IMPORTS FROM CHINA, SCRUB," INSTEAD OF ZONING NEW INDUSTRIAL. I REGRET THIS!

MY CITY IS FULL OF DEAD PEOPLE AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE THE HIT TV SENSATION 'THE WALKING DEAD.' I REGRET THIS!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I really liked the concerned citizen visitors in SC3000 and would like something like that in this game, but then I realized is that these days people would actually bitch about the city on twitter/local news site comment sections only now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MY FRIENDS SAID I SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS SOCIAL NETWORKING CRAP. JOIN THE 21ST CENTURY THEY SAID. #POINTLESS #REGRETS #HOWDOITURNOFFCAPSLOCK

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've been working on a map for hours, played it once and wanted to make some tweaked. Tweaked the map, saved it, started a new city and the game locked up on loading the new city. I started a new city on another map no problem. I tried to then load the map up in the map editor and I get the same never-ending loading screen.

Is there any work-around for this? This is my first technical problem I've ever had. I don't want to lose my map :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Noyemi K posted:

Interesting you mention that; I believe I tested it on a tropical and a boreal map. I didn't know climates could lock growables, so I'm not sure how this issue arose (or how to fix it!)

I guess it just has a one in a million chance of spawning, I saw one just now for the first time after zoning high density commercial all over my city.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Ok I'm gonna ask at the risk of sounding like an idiot: offices are part of commercial demand, right?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I guess it just has a one in a million chance of spawning, I saw one just now for the first time after zoning high density commercial all over my city.

It took a while for it to spawn for me when I was testing, but in Jikjon I got a handful of them :3:

Haeleus posted:

Ok I'm gonna ask at the risk of sounding like an idiot: offices are part of commercial demand, right?

Nope, industrial.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I really liked the concerned citizen visitors in SC3000 and would like something like that in this game, but then I realized is that these days people would actually bitch about the city on twitter/local news site comment sections only now.

The protesters at city hall in SC2013 served a good purpose as well. That was one feature of the game I actually liked a lot. At any time I could cruise over to city hall and say, "oh, there are no protesters, things must be going pretty well!" or "oh, these guys are protesting lack of jobs/schools/parks, maybe I should do something," or whatever.

Tweeter does something similar I suppose, but it's so cluttered up with filler that it doesn't work quite as well as a notification system for when you've let something slip. I've only been playing for a few days, but I already hit escape automatically whenever I hear it go off.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

kedo posted:

The protesters at city hall in SC2013 served a good purpose as well. That was one feature of the game I actually liked a lot. At any time I could cruise over to city hall and say, "oh, there are no protesters, things must be going pretty well!" or "oh, these guys are protesting lack of jobs/schools/parks, maybe I should do something," or whatever.

Tweeter does something similar I suppose, but it's so cluttered up with filler that it doesn't work quite as well as a notification system for when you've let something slip. I've only been playing for a few days, but I already hit escape automatically whenever I hear it go off.

I have auto-chirper notifications turned off because I was sick to death of the same 3 chirps. Did they seriously think that the measly amount of them would be anywhere near acceptable for the amount of time the average player spends playing the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Works in progress on other buildings.

One of my other favorite weird buildings, the Southern California Gas building in LA.

It was also featured fairly prominently in a movie. Anyone know which one?

I've also been roughing in the modelling on this. Which is going to take a lot of clever thinking to get it playable.