Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ludicro posted:

:psyduck: Christ the way some of these people go on you'd think anyone who owns a car is a literal Captain Planet villain.

Now, don't get me wrong, rolling coal is a horrible, inconsiderate and stupid thing to do. Yet, with people like this apparently existing in great quantity, one does see their point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ludicro posted:

The Guardian is reaching Daily Mail levels of constant coverage over what is essentially a minor thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/jeremy-clarkson-foul-mouthed-rant-bbc-top-gear

Nearly 3400 comments of frothing hatred towards Clarkson/Top Gear. :psyduck: Christ the way some of these people go on you'd think anyone who owns a car is a literal Captain Planet villain.

Your entertainment product that i am not forced to watch and in no way affects me is offensive to me because it's on a subject i'm not personally a fan of. It therefore must be stopped!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Your entertainment product that i am not forced to watch and in no way affects me is offensive to me because it's on a subject i'm not personally a fan of. It therefore must be stopped!
But it causes [something] by depicting [something] and promotes and encourages [something], which is why society [something]!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

InitialDave posted:

But it causes STUPID by depicting BURPS and promotes and encourages UNDERWEAR, which is why society SMELLS!

Oh it's like MadLibs!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ludicro posted:

The Guardian is reaching Daily Mail levels of constant coverage over what is essentially a minor thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/jeremy-clarkson-foul-mouthed-rant-bbc-top-gear

Nearly 3400 comments of frothing hatred towards Clarkson/Top Gear. :psyduck: Christ the way some of these people go on you'd think anyone who owns a car is a literal Captain Planet villain.

It's a terrible newspaper. See the Bill Gates hate earlier. Pathetic rag that's just a daily mail mirror.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh it's like MadLibs!
We need to make a game called "Cars Against Humanity", don't we?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

To be honest he is just sarcastic in this context and he is only try to auction the lap.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

InitialDave posted:

We need to make a game called "Cars Against Humanity", don't we?

But who will the villain be? :ohdear:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But who will the villain be? :ohdear:

Ralph Nader.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This modern take on the Reliant Robin is unsafe at any speed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

On the other hand it gets remarkable mileage and produces an amazingly small amount of carbons per mile for a non-electric car. Therefor, we can recommend this car as eco best-buy!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11485289/The-Stig-delivers-Jeremy-Clarkson-petition-to-BBC.html

Wow.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

spog posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/watch-jeremy-clarksons-extraordinary-rant-5367242

Good News everyone! the LaFerarri is going to do a lap of the TG track!

Wow, is that really what is considered a rant in the UK? It's just casually swearing, and he doesn't sound angry at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah what I don't get is his spokesperson is like "Oisin loves his job and would never want to leave it, he says it is a great honor to be working on Top Gear" when it's painfully obvious that this is in fact going to kill the show.

I am not saying that clarkson should get a pass if he really did hit the dude but come on, coming out the gate with a statement like that is pretty silly.

I do also wonder why they can't just fix this in the courts. Settle with a nice fat sum, they both keep their job, or maybe even neither keeps their job, but at least they show the last few episodes.

It seems to have been handled really badly.

Let's say that the worst had happened ie:

1) JC punched the producer, insulted his mother and touched him in a special place
2) the producer hates him, never wants to work with him and wants revenge

The best option would be to give him £500k as long as he keeps quiet, put out a statement that it is all sorted and 'an internal matter' and go on with TG as before.
If the producer really is angry, let him take a free swing at JC and have the half mill come out of JC's pocket.

This way, nobody gets anything:
JC loses his job, as does Hamster and May.
The TG production team don't get to work on a career highlight show.
The Beeb loses lots of money.
The fans don't get their show
and the producer has no career.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
They're trying to send a message that JC can't do whatever the hell he wants. They already said that the next time he says something racist, he's fired. And sure, he didn't say anything racist on air, but it would be hard for them to just let him keep filming because then they just seem toothless.

I want to see those last episodes, damnit!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GutBomb posted:

It's going to be difficult to have on any channel that's funded through advertising. Right now, a car manufacturer can't threaten the BBC to stop advertising on their channel in response to negative reviews. On Sky they can do that easily. That's why there's hardly anything negative said on the US Top Gear.

I do wonder what happens to the magazine and the international versions of the show if the UK one dies, since they are franchises, not remakes.

Premium youtube channel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Didn't he already make up with Piers Morgan after he punched him? If you can make peace with that raving knob, surely you can do it with a producer you've worked with for a decade.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

uPen posted:

Premium youtube channel.

Netflix. You know they can afford to do it properly.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

They're trying to send a message that JC can't do whatever the hell he wants. They already said that the next time he says something racist, he's fired. And sure, he didn't say anything racist on air, but it would be hard for them to just let him keep filming because then they just seem toothless.

I want to see those last episodes, damnit!

He is alleged to have done 2 things that for almost anyone else on the planet would have led to immediate dismissal -

1) physically assaulted a work colleague at 'work'

2) used a Racist insult at a work colleague in a derogatory manner

The BBC has to fire him if number 2 is true, given he is on last warning for racism before irrespective of the physical assault. The guy is a cock, has always been a cock, so it shouldn't be a surprise he has allegedly acted in this way; the only surprise should be the amount of people who seem to think that assaulting people all because you are Clarkson should get you off.

Also the BBC are playing it the only way they can. They will be trying anyway possible to avoid firing him, but its unavoidable if he did either as it would completely gently caress them over legally to let him off; It would hurt the BBC not just with the victim suing them (he will do as he wont be able to work again due to idiots who will hound him for being a victim) but also other cases at the BBC in the past could be open to for lawsuits as it would be undermining there whole disciplinary procedure.

ukle fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 21, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Almost anywhere else on the planet, the top TV stars don't work for the government and they call the shots.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

smackfu posted:

Almost anywhere else on the planet, the top TV stars don't work for the government and they call the shots.

...but they don't in the UK?

(there is a difference between publicly funded and government owned - if it was the latter, top gear would have died years ago)

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Why didn't Christian Bale get fired? This was totally uncalled for and very abusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA

Oh yeah, because show business is heartless and decrepit and shut the gently caress up do your loving job and get the product out so it can make money.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Why didn't Christian Bale get fired? This was totally uncalled for and very abusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA

Oh yeah, because show business the world is heartless and decrepit and shut the gently caress up do your loving job and get the product out so it can make money.

:(

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PT6A posted:

Didn't he already make up with Piers Morgan after he punched him? If you can make peace with that raving knob, surely you can do it with a producer you've worked with for a decade.

He should have been knighted for punching that bellend.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What also sucks about the cancellation of the last 3 episodes is a) it was a great series so far, and b) more episodes than the usual 6 + special we've gotten in the past years.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The series was great, the three who made it had great chemistry, etc.

There are a lot of funny and charismatic car people out there who aren't assholes (this forum is living proof). It may take some trial and error to discover them, but there's a good chance it would be worth the effort.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Chris Knight posted:

What also sucks about the cancellation of the last 3 episodes is a) it was a great series so far, and b) more episodes than the usual 6 + special we've gotten in the past years.

Maybe there never were more than 6 episodes. :tinfoil:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

ukle posted:

2) used a Racist insult at a work colleague in a derogatory manner

The BBC's warning was unfortunately not that explicit.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/03/jeremy-clarkson-given-final-warning-by-the-bbc

"Clarkson admitted he will be ousted by the broadcaster if he makes another offensive remark"

He could have been sacked for offending literally anyone. With what is largely a comedy show broadcast in a hundred different countries, he's almost been set up for failure. Especially since Clarkson has been in trouble before for using an offensive term that almost nobody knew was an offensive term.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/23/top-gear-racist-burma-special-_n_5197001.html

People can and will be offended by anything, especially if it means someone they don't like loses their job.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 21, 2015

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I still don't believe Clarkson didn't know what 'slope' meant. They're all war film fans. There's no way they weren't at least aware enough of the word's history not to think "hang on, we ought to look into this, this might be over the line". That said, there would have been an entire chain of producers, editors, directors and broadcasting standards people who had to sign off on cut who were much more responsible for it making it to broadcast than Clarkson and (as far as I know) they weren't punished at all.

This is the least serious of a whole bunch of not-particularly-serious incidents, but there's no denying he's made some stupid moves for someone who a) knows the knives are out for him in certain segments of the media and b) is aware enough of his employer's propensity for "diversity reviews" to make jokes about them on their own network.

He should have stuck with material about truckers killing prostitutes. Nobody cares about truckers (sorry truckers).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IceAgeComing posted:

...but they don't in the UK?

(there is a difference between publicly funded and government owned - if it was the latter, top gear would have died years ago)

As far as Americans know, anything that receives any federal money is owned by the government. Except for oil companies, of course.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, not owned by the government but the bbc sure acts like a government agency.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I still don't believe Clarkson didn't know what 'slope' meant. They're all war film fans. There's no way they weren't at least aware enough of the word's history not to think "hang on, we ought to look into this, this might be over the line". That said, there would have been an entire chain of producers, editors, directors and broadcasting standards people who had to sign off on cut who were much more responsible for it making it to broadcast than Clarkson and (as far as I know) they weren't punished at all.

This is the least serious of a whole bunch of not-particularly-serious incidents, but there's no denying he's made some stupid moves for someone who a) knows the knives are out for him in certain segments of the media and b) is aware enough of his employer's propensity for "diversity reviews" to make jokes about them on their own network.

He should have stuck with material about truckers killing prostitutes. Nobody cares about truckers (sorry truckers).

Funniest thing about the slope joke was it was Andy Wilman's suggestion in the first place.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I still don't believe Clarkson didn't know what 'slope' meant.
Maybe, after all the UK wasn't involved in vietnam. But "slope" is the Au version of "gook". I never heard "gook" until I watched USA movies or read US forums (and romper stomper in 1992). But in the 70s and 80s I heard "slope" a lot, so here in Australia slope = gook.

Maybe it doesn't mean anything to people in the UK as they weren't involved in the Vietnam war or any post war immigration
But again maybe the Aussies picked it up from the british involved in that area in WW2 and the malaysian conflict?
Aussies aren't very original and it wouldn't have come from nowhere, (otherwise we would have just used "gook"), so I would suggest it came from the british in the first place so anyone who cared about european colonies, war, and refugees from the area would know. e: (otherwise it wouldn't be a crass joke?)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 21, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Judging by that charity auction rant, it seems like he's been getting tired of the show and has wanted to find a way to end it for a while explosively if necessary/possible.

The punch was his banme.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fo3 posted:

Maybe, after all the UK wasn't involved in vietnam. But "slope" is the Au version of "gook". I never heard "gook" until I watched USA movies or read US forums (and romper stomper in 1992). But in the 70s and 80s I heard "slope" a lot, so here in Australia slope = gook.

Maybe it doesn't mean anything to people in the UK as they weren't involved in the Vietnam war or any post war immigration
But again maybe the Aussies picked it up from the british involved in that area in WW2 and the malaysian conflict?
Aussies aren't very original and it wouldn't have come from nowhere, (otherwise we would have just used "gook"), so I would suggest it came from the british in the first place so anyone who cared about european colonies, war, and refugees from the area would know. e: (otherwise it wouldn't be a crass joke?)

Noone young says that, I was born in the 90s in Brisbane and I've heard gook and chink but never slope.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I accidentally watched a bit of some Canadian motoring show when I turned on my TV this morning. They were reviewing a Kia minivan, and saying how good it was and poo poo like that, and they weren't being sarcastic.

Anyone who prefers that show over Top Gear is a mental defective. Why even bother having reviews of "normal cars" on TV? They can't be as in-depth as a written review, and, more importantly, anyone can just go to a loving dealership and test drive any normal car they like.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

PT6A posted:

I accidentally watched a bit of some Canadian motoring show when I turned on my TV this morning. They were reviewing a Kia minivan, and saying how good it was and poo poo like that, and they weren't being sarcastic.

Anyone who prefers that show over Top Gear is a mental defective. Why even bother having reviews of "normal cars" on TV? They can't be as in-depth as a written review, and, more importantly, anyone can just go to a loving dealership and test drive any normal car they like.

Is it worse than Motorweek? They rarely criticize cars beyond complaining about window switches.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Car shows like that are a TV relic from days gone by, like public access or fishing shows or heritage moments. It's amazing that they still exist.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is it worse than Motorweek? They rarely criticize cars beyond complaining about window switches.

There's a car reviewer that regularly marks Volvos as nearly the least safe cars, because if you're a loving Muppet you can technically jam the seatbelt end between the release button and the body of the seatbelt receiver.

I can't remember who it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Noone young says that, I was born in the 90s in Brisbane and I've heard gook and chink but never slope.

Well no one says it any more, but it was said in the 70s and 80s at least.
The top gear team aren't young, and if even they never came to Australia or Asia in the 70s and 80s, they were bound to run into an expat racist piece of poo poo in London during the course of their life and be told all about it.

E: Even giving them the benefit of the doubt, problem is many things they do will offend someone, being too big and popular is only bringing their demise sooner, so no point on singling out any particular instance. They're going to be stubborn, too rich to care, and believe they're irreplaceable anyway. I can respect them for past work when they were good and really I think they've had their run anyway; but can't really respect people fawning over them, protesting etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 21, 2015