Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Uhhhhh so what would her pants look like without cottonelle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Haruharuharuko posted:

Commando (1985)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think that might just be you projecting, friend

In a shocking turn of events, goons are socially awkward and can't handle innocuous small talk

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

In a shocking turn of events, goons are socially awkward and can't handle innocuous small talk

Exhibit B:

theironjef posted:

Counterpoint, I worked at TJ's for years, and since all anyone ever said was "Weather huh?" Or "this thing doesn't have a price on it so it's free, right? Haha I am joking unless this somehow results in free cheese in which case I am not" I would have always preferred if they just shut the hell up instead.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

walrusman posted:

Exhibit B:

I think that's different. If anyone hears anything enough it starts to get annoying. Especially when presented from a position of originality. A cashier will hear poo poo like that 10-15 times a day and it's grating.

e: the price thing, I mean. The weather thing is just small talk, get over it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Haruharuharuko posted:

She'd have a big skid mark. Duh.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

walrusman posted:

1) That, I guess
2) ???

Notice I didn't say benefits. :v:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Haruharuharuko posted:

poo poo.

They'd look like poo poo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
10/10 ring on correct hand

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

If you want fighter jets just save up your pepsi points.

Speaking of dumb marketing moves, didn't a kid find a way to actually get the 15 million Pepsi points or whatever the commercial said, and then sue Pepsi because they obviously had no intention of awarding someone a fighter jet?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

ZDar Fan posted:

Speaking of dumb marketing moves, didn't a kid find a way to actually get the 15 million Pepsi points or whatever the commercial said, and then sue Pepsi because they obviously had no intention of awarding someone a fighter jet?

Yeah, and then Pepsi won because the judge said there's no way a reasonable person could expect to get a military grade jet for $700,000 worth of Pepsi bottle caps.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's some Punch Drunk Love poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico,_Inc.

Fun read. "No school would provide landing space for a student's fighter jet, or condone the disruption the jet's use would cause."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Looks like it's the guy after a jet being a shithead - The guy didn't collect many points, there was just some smallprint that said once you had 15 points you could make up the rest in cast at 10c a point. So he sent a $700,000 cheque rather than the full number of points.

On the other hand, a flat-out refusal is just about the worst thing Pepsi could have done. They should have offered something like a tour of a fighter jet and a chance to fly in one, or the like, and then put out a new ad joking that the jet was sold out.

For an example of that done right, look to Burma Shave.

First of all, when their ads read

"Free Offer! Free Offer!
Rip A Fender
Off Your Car
Mail It In For
A Half-Pound Jar
Burma-Shave"

Plenty of people did either post, or turn up at the factory with, fenders. The requests here honoured, and a good time was had by all. Burma Shave figured any lost sales from the product were made up for in goodwill.

Later on, they had another joke advert that someone tried to take seriously.

"Free — Free
A Trip
To Mars
For 900
Empty Jars
Burma-Shave"

and then, to quote snopes...

Snopes.com posted:

Mr. French wired Burma-Shave he was accepting its offer — where should the jars be shipped? In response, the company wired back:

If A Trip
To Mars You Earn
Remember, Friend
There's No Return

French was not to be dissuaded. He countered with another telegram:

Let's Not Quibble
Let's Not Fret
Gather Your Forces
I'm All Set

What could Burma-Shave do but respond?

Our Rockets Are Ready
We Ain't Splitting Hairs
Just Send Us The Jars
And Arrange Your Affairs

In the end, with help from his town donating their empty jars, mr French did indeed gather 900 empty jars. Burma Shave sent him and his wife to Moers (Pronounced Mars) in Germany, as well as handing out plenty of free pruducts,m and again turned the whole thing into a good time.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Cage posted:

Fun read. "No school would provide landing space for a student's fighter jet, or condone the disruption the jet's use would cause."

"Among other claims made, Leonard claimed that a federal judge was incapable of deciding on the matter, and that instead the decision had to be made by a jury consisting of members of the "Pepsi Generation" to whom the advertisement would allegedly constitute an offer."

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I hate when supermarket staff do this. Particularly when I buy something like a slab of beer and a couple of bottles of wine and they're like "Having a party, eh?" and I'm not. Obviously I'm not going to go home and drink all of that right now, but your friendly small-talk just turned into "Hey, that seems like too much alcohol for one person to buy all at once!"

something is wrong with your brain

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZDar Fan posted:

"Among other claims made, Leonard claimed that a federal judge was incapable of deciding on the matter, and that instead the decision had to be made by a jury consisting of members of the "Pepsi Generation" to whom the advertisement would allegedly constitute an offer."

Assuming he knew how much of an rear end in a top hat he sounded like, this is hilarious.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

scuzzy pumper posted:

That's incredible.
Apologies; I should have included an example earlier:

This is one of the less-weird ones, but still a good example. Here's an article that talks a bit about Raytheon's subway ad campaigns: http://www.boston.com/news/local/bl...bCymK/blog.html

quote:

The Capitol South station is literally covered wall to wall with Raytheon’s tailor-made billboards and banners. There are ads for the Patriot missile, the so-called JLENS surveillance blimp, the Standard missile, satellite communications, and another advocating the company’s cyber warfare solutions: “defeat persistence with resilience.”

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Elfface posted:

Looks like it's the guy after a jet being a shithead - The guy didn't collect many points, there was just some smallprint that said once you had 15 points you could make up the rest in cast at 10c a point. So he sent a $700,000 cheque rather than the full number of points.

On the other hand, a flat-out refusal is just about the worst thing Pepsi could have done. They should have offered something like a tour of a fighter jet and a chance to fly in one, or the like, and then put out a new ad joking that the jet was sold out.

"Free Offer! Free Offer!
Rip A Fender
Off Your Car
Mail It In For
A Half-Pound Jar
Burma-Shave"

Plenty of people did either post, or turn up at the factory with, fenders. The requests here honoured, and a good time was had by all. Burma Shave figured any lost sales from the product were made up for in goodwill.

"Free — Free
A Trip
To Mars
For 900
Empty Jars
Burma-Shave"

In the end, with help from his town donating their empty jars, mr French did indeed gather 900 empty jars. Burma Shave sent him and his wife to Moers (Pronounced Mars) in Germany, as well as handing out plenty of free pruducts,m and again turned the whole thing into a good time.

This is amazing. I love it when companies make good on stuff like this.

It reminds me of that story a few years ago when a British supermarket chain (Sainsburys?) changed the name of their tiger bread to "giraffe bread" after a 3 y.o sent them a letter :3:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Aristophanes posted:

This is amazing. I love it when companies make good on stuff like this.

It reminds me of that story a few years ago when a British supermarket chain (Sainsburys?) changed the name of their tiger bread to "giraffe bread" after a 3 y.o sent them a letter :3:

Yup, it was Sainsburys: http://j-sainsbury.co.uk/giraffebread . The letter itself probably belongs in the "Cute, Adorable Pictures Thread". It has that really special sort of typing only drunks and children between 3 and 7 years old can produce.

For a good long while afterwards people in my work would say "We're popping out to Sainssssssbbbbbburyyys to get milk and bread"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Elfface posted:

"Free Offer! Free Offer!
Rip A Fender
Off Your Car
Mail It In For
A Half-Pound Jar
Burma-Shave"

"Free — Free
A Trip
To Mars
For 900
Empty Jars
Burma-Shave"

Moers is not loving pronounced Mars! Dont halfarse your poo poo Burma Shave. There are actual communes called Mars in southern france!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

Moers is not loving pronounced Mars! Dont halfarse your poo poo Burma Shave. There are actual communes called Mars in southern france!

It sort of does if you're imagining them saying it like 'La di dah, Little Lord Fancy wants to go to Moaahhrs'

Well not that much but I'd take that as an explanation.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's some Punch Drunk Love poo poo.

That was based on a true story. A guy realized that each pudding cup had the bar codes you needed and bought hundreds of cases in bulk so he can fly dirt cheap for the rest of his life.

There was a store that was offering some expensive thing for "100 bananas" (bananas bring old timey slang for dollars) They had tons of people brining in cases of bananas and decided to honor the exchange.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Just saw and ad for a toilet - the logo they followed up with was... well, it made me think of this thread

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

canis minor posted:

Just saw and ad for a toilet - the logo they followed up with was... well, it made me think of this thread

Now if it was an ad for a curry place...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Cage posted:

This is amazing.

"The teenager's comment that flying a Harrier Jet to school 'sure beats the bus' evinces an improbably insouciant attitude toward the relative difficulty and danger of piloting a fighter plane in a residential area." this statement is an actual court record. I love the US.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

This is amazing.

"The teenager's comment that flying a Harrier Jet to school 'sure beats the bus' evinces an improbably insouciant attitude toward the relative difficulty and danger of piloting a fighter plane in a residential area." this statement is an actual court record. I love the US.

I can't find the link but the lawsuit between Gaiman and McFarland has the judge saying "kick-rear end warrior angels" in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

I believe at one point S/M/L/XL was standard, but that needlessly complicated the menu and added logistical overhead. I think they dropped "small" because their target audience does indeed believe bigger = better, plus as mentioned if you give people 3 options they tend to be drawn to the middle one. So by making large the "default" option they get to sell more fries and soda, and by sticking with M/L/XL instead of just re-naming the larger sizes S/M/L they maintain continuity in their menu (so that people don't go "hey why is the medium suddenly $0.30 more?!")

I'm pretty sure they dropped back down to S/M/L a while back, though.

Its definitely not a money thing at McDonalds because all their soda sizes are one price.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Its definitely not a money thing at McDonalds because all their soda sizes are one price.

This is actually pushed by the soda companies. They actually have meetings and discussions about how to increase their 'share of stomach' because they know that if you're used to getting huge amounts of coke with your meal, you'll buy huge amounts of coke to drink at home. They're basically training you to want/need massive sodas with each meal.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Len posted:

I can't find the link but the lawsuit between Gaiman and McFarland has the judge saying "kick-rear end warrior angels" in it.

oh man, someone linked that entire deposition in one of the comic threads or something, it's like 60 pages but the whole thing is MASSIVE pro-click.

It's less "dumb moves in marketing" more "dumb fucks thinking they can run a company on high fives and promises" without ever getting anything down on paper or getting actual grownups involved (not that these were kids, just acting like it). Both sides come off as a bit unprofessional but I'd say Gaiman ends up about 90% in the right, especially as it's the company (ie image and McFarlane) that has the obligation to act like a real company and not gently caress over their freelancers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Huh, I thought that was a newer development but a quick search shows they were experimenting with it 5 years ago. I'm not exactly sure when they started moving back towards S/M/L so you could be right.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Len posted:

It's here. Unfortunately she's quoting Gaiman.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
I end up seeing this commercial several times a day. The only impression I get from it every single time is

1- What the gently caress did I just watch
2-Why should it make me want to buy chocolate

Before anyone asks the slogan at the end is "taste your fantasies"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

This is a policy I wholeheartedly endorse. People inside can order a small and refill it as many times as they like, so why should I, the drive-thru proletariat, be forced to pay more money to guzzle down the same amount of sugar water?

Also, McDonald's Coke seems to taste better than any other (American) Coke and I'm not sure why.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I end up seeing this commercial several times a day. The only impression I get from it every single time is

Man, who wouldn't want to buy chocolate which is laced with LSD?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

The Blue Pyramid posted:

This reminds me of Kinder Bueno adverts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwDyvQOQUWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNFOHPM8-k

(the one with the vampire was also wtf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqFNkggpQw)

Other ad I did double take on was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOMGqsPN3I

I can't unsee Amy Sedaris as anybody but Jerri Blank

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

ninjahedgehog posted:

This is a policy I wholeheartedly endorse. People inside can order a small and refill it as many times as they like, so why should I, the drive-thru proletariat, be forced to pay more money to guzzle down the same amount of sugar water?

Also, McDonald's Coke seems to taste better than any other (American) Coke and I'm not sure why.

Most soda fountains have regulators to adjust the ratio of carbonated water to syrup. Many fast food chains have their own ideal setting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DeadmansReach posted:

Most soda fountains have regulators to adjust the ratio of carbonated water to syrup. Many fast food chains have their own ideal setting.

Coke also pushes their "Coke Freestyle" machine which does things a little different in terms of how stuff is mixed.

Fatkraken posted:

oh man, someone linked that entire deposition in one of the comic threads or something, it's like 60 pages but the whole thing is MASSIVE pro-click.

It's less "dumb moves in marketing" more "dumb fucks thinking they can run a company on high fives and promises" without ever getting anything down on paper or getting actual grownups involved (not that these were kids, just acting like it). Both sides come off as a bit unprofessional but I'd say Gaiman ends up about 90% in the right, especially as it's the company (ie image and McFarlane) that has the obligation to act like a real company and not gently caress over their freelancers.

The whole thing is doubly ironic considering McFarlane and co split from the big two because of character ownership rights.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/starbucks-baristas-stop-writing-racetogether-on-cups-1.3004746
"Starbucks baristas stop writing #RaceTogether on cups"
Change not a reaction to pushback, Starbucks spokesperson says

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VoteTedJameson posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/starbucks-baristas-stop-writing-racetogether-on-cups-1.3004746
"Starbucks baristas stop writing #RaceTogether on cups"
Change not a reaction to pushback, Starbucks spokesperson says

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's over.

I don't get why they're denying it was because of the public collectively rolling their eyes so hard the rotation of the earth was slightly altered. At least if you admit it, you can claim you're listening to the consumer. This way, both the people who think you were wrong and the people who think you were right are annoyed: the former hates your disingenuous attitude, and the latter still knows you caved.

I can understand the denial if there's an issue of liability somewhere, but I don't see why that'd be the case here.