Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Memento posted:

If you want to, you can totally that bit of hacking to yourself by saying something like, "we only have computers because we reverse-engineered alien technology therefore our tech is actually more compatible with theirs than you'd think".

That is literally a thing that was filmed for the movie. It's in the deleted scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

John Big Booty posted:

You draw a bunch of silly crap on a piece of paper, then you jerk off on it.

Hahaha. Seriously? Well, ok... Here goes.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Memento posted:

If you want to, you can totally that bit of hacking to yourself by saying something like, "we only have computers because we reverse-engineered alien technology therefore our tech is actually more compatible with theirs than you'd think".

If you want to, go ahead and do that. I, personally, would much rather just watch a near-perfect alien invasion movie and drink a beer. Independence Day is loving great.

I'm cool with that part, really. The part that kills me is Jeff Goldblum figuring out how to program a virus to shut down a loving alien armada in less than 24 hours that also displays a picture on their space monitors of a skull smoking a cigar laughing and holy gently caress who am I kidding, none of that is meant to be taken seriously and ID4 loving rules.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The irritating thing about independence day is that it's nearly 20 loving years old. I realized that when I was watching it the other day and felt super old.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Independence Day is the highpoint of at least 3 actors careers.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ChogsEnhour posted:

Hahaha. Seriously? Well, ok... Here goes.
Chaos Magic is incredibly silly.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

oldpainless posted:

Ooh, I like this game! Harry Connick Jr, Randy Quaid and... James Rebhorn?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ooh, I like this game! Harry Connick Jr, Randy Quaid and... James Rebhorn?

You're forgetting the President of the United States, Bill Pullman.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The Opie and Anthony episode on Independence Day is all you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_Zn5l0Aw8

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Spaceballs. :colbert:

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Wild T posted:

I'm cool with that part, really. The part that kills me is Jeff Goldblum figuring out how to program a virus to shut down a loving alien armada in less than 24 hours that also displays a picture on their space monitors of a skull smoking a cigar laughing and holy gently caress who am I kidding, none of that is meant to be taken seriously and ID4 loving rules.

Being a stupid ten year old British kid, there were two things I didn't like about this film. Firstly, not knowing what Independence Day actually was and thinking July 4th was named after the film. Like, it was such a good film Americans named a day off after it.

And secondly the dickhead British general in it, who upon being informed that Americans are literally saving the world, says "about bloody time." I mean, I know yanks are kind of annoying mate but you were just sat on your arse in the desert, how were you helping?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Marathanes posted:

Spaceballs. :colbert:

Came out way before Independence day?

I guess ID is more of "beginning of the end of his career" than "high water mark" :cheeky:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Not the only William whose career peaked with that movie.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bogmonster posted:

Being a stupid ten year old British kid, there were two things I didn't like about this film. Firstly, not knowing what Independence Day actually was and thinking July 4th was named after the film. Like, it was such a good film Americans named a day off after it.

And secondly the dickhead British general in it, who upon being informed that Americans are literally saving the world, says "about bloody time." I mean, I know yanks are kind of annoying mate but you were just sat on your arse in the desert, how were you helping?

wouldn't there also be a million easier ways to harvest Earth's resources than slowly hovering over every landmark and lasering it? Seems very inefficient. They can figure out FTL travel but they couldn't just make a virus that kills all humans? What was the point of abducting Randy Quaid and doing stuff to his butt if all they were going to do was use a giant laser on cities? even after they got the shields down and blew up the ships the ships were Going to crash on top of whatever city they were hovering over anyway.

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Mar 20, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What was the point of abducting Randy Quaid and doing stuff to his butt if all they were going to do was use a giant laser on cities?

Those were not the aliens but the Star Whackers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bobkatt013 posted:

Those were not the aliens but the Star Whackers

is that like bangbus but interstellar?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jedit posted:

Not the only William whose career peaked with that movie.

Enemy of the State and Men in Black both came out afterwards. Also his full name is Willard. :colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The irritating thing about independence day is that it's nearly 20 loving years old. I realized that when I was watching it the other day and felt super old.

I just want to know where all the F-14s, 15s and 16s in America's arsenal went. You can briefly catch glimpses of them in the background of giant pre-combat shots but once the shooting starts it's all F-18s all the time.

Also, seriously, maybe try firing TWO nukes, Mr President? It's not like anyone'll miss Houston.

(I still love the movie and am always amazed at how well it's aged)

Non Serviam posted:

The first half of independence day is great. After that it just goes down hill

The Speech and "Gentlemen: let's plow the road!" are in the second half :colbert:

Polaron has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Mar 20, 2015

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

oldpainless posted:

Adam Baldwin, Brent Spiner, and Mary McDonnell?

An overrated scifi movie probably beats an overrated scifi show. :smug:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Telescopes in people's homes, pointed out through a window. It seems to be a way to show that they're well off, because regular people can't afford a refractor scope or something.

Examples that come to mind are Frasier, American Psycho, and a recent episode of Better Call Saul.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mng posted:

Telescopes in people's homes, pointed out through a window. It seems to be a way to show that they're well off, because regular people can't afford a refractor scope or something.

Examples that come to mind are Frasier, American Psycho, and a recent episode of Better Call Saul.

The time period that Frasier and American Psycho came out or take place personal really good telescopes were pretty expensive. Its also goes with their characters as Frasier was a culture snob and Patrick Bateman would have purchased it since it costs money and one of his "friends" might have bought one.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Mar 20, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mng posted:

This is particularly goofy because it's always set downtown in a big metropolitan area with a shitload of light pollution.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Ryoshi posted:

This is particularly goofy because it's always set downtown in a big metropolitan area with a shitload of light pollution.

Maybe they use them to peep into other people's windows.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Eh! Frank posted:

Patrick Bateman? Definitely.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Patrick Bateman? Definitely.

Frasier Crane? Definitely.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

Frasier? There's at least one episode that's exactly about that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mng posted:

You can get some pretty cheap lovely ones if you wanna appear rich to other people who also don't know anything.

Of Saul, Bateman, & Frasier I'd say Frasier is the most perverted, so his was definitely pointed straight into Daphne's bedroom.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Totally stupid because I know you can't keep everything from the book when going to a movie, but two things in We Need To Talk About Kevin stand out:

1. The pet Kevin loving shoves in the garbage disposal is a shrew in the book, and I laughed out loud because no one, loving no one would have that as a pet. But fine, whatever. In the movie, it's a guinea pig. Which are about ten times the size, the pig shown is near adult, and oh yeah, unless Kevin killed it first and then shoved it down the disposal, the noise would wake the dead. Cavies aren't known for being quiet; open the fridge across the house and they squeal like mad until they get some food.

2. The kid in the wheelchair is explained only in the book, that two people Kevin tried to kill survive. The movie shows none of the kids he targets, or why, or how he sets up his act, other than the bike locks. It looks like he just randomly goes to school one day and attacks a gym full of kids. Which makes no sense with a bow and arrow. The book made it clear how he picked only a handful of kids, and a teacher, specifically, and set them up. Severe premeditation. In the movie he just seems to buy the locks and do the shooting for no real reason.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You can get some pretty cheap lovely ones if you wanna appear rich to other people who also don't know anything.

Of Saul, Bateman, & Frasier I'd say Frasier is the most perverted, so his was definitely pointed straight into Daphne's bedroom.

Haha yeah, the first time I noticed Frasier's, I imagined he was casually perving.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Bogmonster posted:

Pretty sure this is a tongue-in-cheek nod to the yanks turning up late in WWII.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dpack_1 posted:

Pretty sure this is a tongue-in-cheek nod to the yanks turning up late in WWII.

Hey, that's unfair! America has apologised for being late to the last two World Wars and is making sure they're really early for the next one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jedit posted:

Hey, that's unfair! America has apologised for being late to the last two World Wars and is making sure they're really early for the next one.

To be fair the last two World Wars for home matches for Europe, America hasn't had a home ground one yet! Travel time like!

content: In The Two Towers when Wormtongue is talking to Saruman about attacking Helm's Deep he says that there is no army in the world big enough to assault it even if the Hornburg is breached. Then Saruman does that big reveal with a massive army outside and Wormtongue is very surprised. How come though? How on Earth could he have travelled from Rohan to Isengard and missed the biggest army on the planet? It's not like they could have all been down the shops getting sweets for their class trip to Helm's Deep.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

EmmyOk posted:

To be fair the last two World Wars for home matches for Europe, America hasn't had a home ground one yet! Travel time like!

content: In The Two Towers when Wormtongue is talking to Saruman about attacking Helm's Deep he says that there is no army in the world big enough to assault it even if the Hornburg is breached. Then Saruman does that big reveal with a massive army outside and Wormtongue is very surprised. How come though? How on Earth could he have travelled from Rohan to Isengard and missed the biggest army on the planet? It's not like they could have all been down the shops getting sweets for their class trip to Helm's Deep.

Aren't they all under the tower in the creepy orc mines?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

Aren't they all under the tower in the creepy orc mines?

Yes. Also Wormtongue does have national pride and he's going to say Helm's Deep is the best fortress in the world whether it is or not because it's his country's fortress. You can see it in his face after the Uruk-Hai march out and he believes Rohan is doomed; he still loves Rohan, he just loves it possessively in the same way he loves Eowyn and wants to possess her.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Jedit posted:

Yes. Also Wormtongue does have national pride and he's going to say Helm's Deep is the best fortress in the world whether it is or not because it's his country's fortress. You can see it in his face after the Uruk-Hai march out and he believes Rohan is doomed; he still loves Rohan, he just loves it possessively in the same way he loves Eowyn and wants to possess her.

Can we really trust the prevarications of this so-called "wizard"? I'll stay the course plotted by my faithful vizier, Cocksucker Liesalot

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, at the beginning of Jurassic Park Sam Neill is explaining to a skeptical group of people his reasoning for postulating that dinosaurs have more in common with modern birds than with reptiles. He goes through two or three examples, one of them being the pubic bone turned backward, and then he ends with "Even the word 'raptor' means 'bird of prey'" which makes NO loving sense. Human beings decided to name that species of dinosaur "raptor" how the hell would that prove that they're related to birds?

They were introducing Velociraptors to the audience. Everyone knew what a T-Rex was, and a stegosaurus and a triceratops and a brontosaurus brachio- veggie-saurus were, but raptors were both new to most viewers and the big bads of the movie. It wasn't scientifically accurate, but it was good storytelling.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I was really shocked when I learned that velociraptors are actually tiny

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Colin_Douglas_Howell/Galleries/Dinosauria_size_comparison_table#/media/File:Vraptor-scale.png

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YcRU3_gxbo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What the hell did I just watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Trent posted:

What the hell did I just watch

I don't know, but baloogan decided to make and upload this clip, just for us. Maybe there's a clue in the madness.