Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

The Phoenix is a really good ship once you have all the upgrades, it's fast, has enough guns to ruin the day og other tier V ships and packs torpedoes. But yes, the stock version is pretty bad, the upgraded one feels like a whole new ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Axetrain posted:

I hope the Cleveland is worth it because the Phoenix feels like straight garbage. Admittedly I'm real bad at this though.

The stock hull is meh but in a few rounds you should have the upgraded hull which allows you to bring 8(?) Guns to bear on either side, plus backup torps and suddenly the ship really kicks rear end. The Phoenix is a premier destroyer hunter, especially since the individual guns give you a huge margin of error against a weaving destroyer, but the sheer volume of them means you can deal with any cruiser short of a Cleveland if you're smart. Stay the heck away from BBs though, just play screen for your bigger ships.

It's all gravy once you get that hull. Then you get the Omaha which is just a beefier/better Phoenix.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Riller posted:

Thanks to everyone for the clarification on the citadel area. The wording in the OP was a bit confusing as I read it: "That area from the start of the dark blue to right behind the rearmost main turret is the citadel." Are only the turrets in the forward area of the ship considered the "main" turrets?

Either there is a heavy rng modifier to if a hit in the citadel area is a citadel hit, or the hit boxes in game are much smaller than that diagram would indicate on most ships.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hagop posted:

Either there is a heavy rng modifier to if a hit in the citadel area is a citadel hit, or the hit boxes in game are much smaller than that diagram would indicate on most ships.

It's the latter. Possibly both.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hagop posted:

Note the position of the waterline relative to the citadel's top. The area to hit is usually pretty short, which reduces the number of citadel hits.

Riller posted:

Thanks to everyone for the clarification on the citadel area. The wording in the OP was a bit confusing as I read it: "That area from the start of the dark blue to right behind the rearmost main turret is the citadel." Are only the turrets in the forward area of the ship considered the "main" turrets?

The one in the back is also a main turret, it's by caliber. Figured it'd be pretty self explanatory in the context of the blue box and including the machinery.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There actual citadel hitbox is pretty small and buried deep within the hull of the ship and there's a ton of poo poo between it and the outermost hitboxes. Someone posted the.picture that showed the hitboxes a few pages ago. If you're shooting at a larger ship (CA -> BB) you're really unlikely to get through all that to a citadel. You're a lot more likely to get citadel hits against ships of similar size because you can pen the armor to the juicy bits. If you're in a CA shooting at a DD you're gonna get a lot of citadel hits simply by shooting the midsection of the DD at any range. Against another CA you need to be more careful about shot placement.

I wish there were more fire control options. I would really like to have individual aiming of turrets or groups of them and it would be nice to be able to set, say, one turret to fire HE while the others fire AP. I often find myself wishing I could pre-emptively order the aft turrets on a ship to begin swinging around to the opposite side in preparation for a turn, while keeping my fore turrets pointed at my target the whole time. Its probably too much to ask given its a cartoon ships game but hey

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hereby declare excessive gun micromanagement as Turret's syndrome.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You can actually see roughly how high the citadel is if you look at something like a Fuso. At the waterline, there'll be a thick slab of armor. That's the belt.

And for cruisers vs bbs or destroyers vs cruisers, you want to be real close to punch through the belt or real far to plunge through the deck, and far is iffy because there's so much above.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I just really want to be able to set certain turrets to point certain directions. Like if I know I'm turning in a direction I want my aft turrets to lock in a broadside friendly direction ahead of time while my front turrets still swivel and shoot targets to the front.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Excessive gun management is like half the game though, especially while driving a Battleship.

Daktari posted:

Still a catchy line :)

:agreed:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 20, 2015

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Fart Car '97 posted:

Excessive gun management is like half the game though, especially while driving a Battleship.

Still a catchy line :)

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

demonR6 posted:

WG returned my Cleveland after a failed attempt to fix that stuck situation I created after dropping from queue the previous day. The commander was a newbie, my uber skilled commander gone forever. All the mods, gone. Ship experience, gone.

That sucks.

hopterque posted:

I just really want to be able to set certain turrets to point certain directions. Like if I know I'm turning in a direction I want my aft turrets to lock in a broadside friendly direction ahead of time while my front turrets still swivel and shoot targets to the front.

I use the right mouse button. Aim where you want the turret to face and then hold the rmb down as you maneuver the ship. I do this to "pre-aim" turrets, especially on a battleship when I'm rounding an island or coming about to take on a different ship, etc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm talking about when I'm still engaging targets with my other turrets, but know that I want (usually) the rear turrets ready to start shooting at thing on the correct side as I make my turn.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I use the right mouse button. Aim where you want the turret to face and then hold the rmb down as you maneuver the ship. I do this to "pre-aim" turrets, especially on a battleship when I'm rounding an island or coming about to take on a different ship, etc.

I think he's more referring to the fact that if you are currently in a fight and aiming one way, the guns on the other side of the ship or the guns that are only slightly off firing position will not maneuver until you are firing at an angle that they can fire. This means that if you fight a ship on starboard side, finish them, and then start firing at someone that is port side but very forward of your ship and you keep a similar heading then only your front guns will maneuver to aim at them. Once you finally change heading so that your back guns could fire at the enemy, they still have to fully turn around your entire ship since they didn't pre-maneuver at all.

edit: beaten to it

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Axetrain posted:

The Omaha is pretty great :)

edit: anyone tried retraining a commander to a different ship? Is it worth the trouble?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 20, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PirateBob posted:

The Omaha is pretty great :)

edit: anyone tried retraining a commander to a different ship? Is it worth the trouble?
Yeah it really is, especially if you're retaining a high skill commander. You have to earn some "retraining" xp but it's still much much faster than training a new commander up to, say, rank 3.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's way easier to move a captain than a WOT crew when the skills fit, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a credits respec option.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

hopterque posted:

I'm talking about when I'm still engaging targets with my other turrets, but know that I want (usually) the rear turrets ready to start shooting at thing on the correct side as I make my turn.

Ah, got it.

Prav posted:

It's way easier to move a captain than a WOT crew when the skills fit, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a credits respec option.

Credits shorten the "retraining period" when you retrain a captain.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Credits shorten the "retraining period" when you retrain a captain.

Yeah and they don't do anything when you try to respec him. Pay 25g per assigned skill point or live with them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Axetrain posted:

Stock Phoenix is pretty poo poo, yeah. Top configuration Phoenix is great and oneshots destroyers all day long. It's really shooty and loves making things explode. The torps aren't really worth it though, too few and too long reload to really be useful.

Now, what feels like garbage to me is the Myogi. I just cannot hit things at all. Even when I lead correctly it feels like a disproportionate amount of time one shots falls long and one short. Am I just awful at the game or is it really that inaccurate? I hit things really well in cruisers all the time.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 20, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's pretty inaccurate at range and it doesn't help that it fires very few shells with that stingy 3x2 setup.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Now, what feels like garbage to me is the Myogi. I just cannot hit things at all. Even when I lead correctly it feels like a disproportionate amount of time one shots falls long and one short. Am I just awful at the game or is it really that inaccurate? I hit things really well in cruisers all the time.

Now I dont want to get your hopes up to much because iam not the best at computer games, but I also cant hit poo poo in the myogi.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't all the Japanese heavy cruisers literally have the same guns up to tier x?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I really liked the Phoenix after upgrading it all the way. Sure it loses out on the sheer Orkish volume of fire that the St Louis has, but gains 10kts and a ton of maneuvering ability. The torps are neat I guess, I've only fired them once or twice, they are too short ranged to be very useful unless I catch a BB unaware.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Don't all the Japanese heavy cruisers literally have the same guns up to tier x?

Not exactly the same, but they do top out at 203mm. The best part is you start this experience at tier 6. The cleveland still hangs out with 152s. Not only that, but the aoba also has a quad tube on each side fitted with 10km range torps.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JuffoWup posted:

Not exactly the same, but they do top out at 203mm. The best part is you start this experience at tier 6. The cleveland still hangs out with 152s. Not only that, but the aoba also has a quad tube on each side fitted with 10km range torps.

Yeah all the heavy cruisers in this game pack 8" guns though the Mogami has an option for 5x3 6" guns too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Stock Phoenix is pretty poo poo, yeah. Top configuration Phoenix is great and oneshots destroyers all day long. It's really shooty and loves making things explode. The torps aren't really worth it though, too few and too long reload to really be useful.

The Miyogi really doesn't have enough shells in a broadside to fill the area its shells can go into properly. Seasoned alphas have that problem too.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

The Miyogi really doesn't have enough shells in a broadside to fill the area its shells can go into properly. Seasoned alphas have that problem too.

The Fuso is the first BB I've played that can really poo poo out damage. The Kongo's decent because it has range, but those extra guns on the Fuso are killer. Getting six attempts at nailing a citadel hit is almost unfair.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

So say we all..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

hopterque posted:

So being able to switch quickly between fore and aft turrets and not only have different loadouts but fire them independently as well. I would get dizzy just switching between the two but I get your drift. I loike to swap HE & AP in between volleys just to watch fuckers burst into flames, blow a repair, nail them with AP, hopefully get them to use damage control then burst them with HE again. Sucks to be them but it works like magic in the Cleveland for me when I can watch multiple fires.

I need a zoom out mod..

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
one thing about playing IJN cruisers is that nobody seems to expect cruisers to spit out torps

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
Domination Fault line have got to be to worst map in the game. I have never seen a team comeback from loseing A and C from the start.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

SuperSix posted:

one thing about playing IJN cruisers is that nobody seems to expect cruisers to spit out torps

Which ones have torpedos?

Also I found the torps on the Phoenix and the Omaha to be pretty useful. If you play somewhat suicidally like me and often close the distance to ships they can make the difference between killing and getting killed. Most players don't really expect them :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Nerses IV posted:

The Fuso is the first BB I've played that can really poo poo out damage. The Kongo's decent because it has range, but those extra guns on the Fuso are killer. Getting six attempts at nailing a citadel hit is almost unfair.

The Fuso is just nuts, and probably the best indicator for how US early BBs will play. A bunch of guns for the tier, no less than 8 barrels, but a bit slow. Although I personally prefer the US BB layout, it doesn't have the dumb amidships turrets, and the mags are less spead out in general.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Which ones have torpedos?

Also I found the torps on the Phoenix and the Omaha to be pretty useful. If you play somewhat suicidally like me and often close the distance to ships they can make the difference between killing and getting killed. Most players don't really expect them :v:

All of them

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
Ironically most of my torp hits in american cruisers have been on DDs that mucked up there torp run.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah the cleveland only has 152s.

12 of them.

Firing at 7.5(8.2?) rpm.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah the cleveland only has 152s.

12 of them.

Firing at 7.5(8.2?) rpm.

The Cleveland's firepower is really good though the 8" guns become more necessary if you want to dent BBs.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I hereby declare excessive gun micromanagement as Turrent's syndrome.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I really think the Kawachi is a giant piece of poo poo.