Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Macaluso posted:

I think if there wasn't so much time travel to the past involved in the show, that would totally be a real episode idea

Yeah, I'd love to see that idea executed by Hirsch. Just thinking about it makes me :kimchi:

Just look at that cute lil dork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Might as well be canon.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Nope. She was freakishly tall.

Otherwise...prolly.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Wanna see Old Mabel punch zombies in the face.

For a moment I thought it was gender-bender fanart of Stan.

Something something The Internet something something.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Boy I've never posted in TVIV before, can't be as bad as everybody says! Let's talk about Gravity falls

*2 pages later*

:smith:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Sex Robot posted:

Boy I've never posted in TVIV before, can't be as bad as everybody says! Let's talk about Gravity falls

*2 pages later*

:smith:
This sort of thing is inevitable when the show goes more than a month between episodes BEFORE it goes on hiatus for the spring. And Summer. And probably Autumn. Threads like this build up momentum, and when they can't feed on actual episodes, they start to find other ways to sustain themselves.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 20, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Does the scheduling shaman at Disney have a twitter account?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Level Slide posted:

I imagine they are like the Chinese Communist Party, you don't know them, you don't need to know them, please continue your productivity and do not ask questions

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Not What He Seems had the highest ratings on XD of all time.

Whoever he is, he's doing good work.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tunicate posted:

Is this for real? Wow. I'm glad this show is getting the acclaim it deserves

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

I can only imagine him as Lex Luthor in that one comic where he wrote a mathematical formula to balance the national budget.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Pretty sure this is in spite of their voodoo instead of because of it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Where did this happen?

By the way, to go back to this, I found it:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
My boyfriend's brother suggested we check out Gravity Falls because of Mable and Waddles (I love pigs :3:) and the general tone of the show. We fell in love with the show and marathoned it just in time for Not What He Seems.

I'll definitely agree that episode had better production values than some of the animated feature films I grew up with. I'm constantly astounded with how good this show is, but this newest hiatus is killing me. Blargh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty sure this is in spite of their voodoo instead of because of it
According to Hirsch, back in season one, he threw his weight around and pushed a few episodes forward.

Their ratings were notably lower.

Apparently optimizing schedules for kids TV involves a heck of a lot of research.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Tunicate posted:

According to Hirsch, back in season one, he threw his weight around and pushed a few episodes forward.

Their ratings were notably lower.

Apparently optimizing schedules for kids TV involves a heck of a lot of research.

Yeah, I remember him saying that, as well as saying that he doesn't fight it anymore because Disney clearly knows what they're doing even if it seems obtuse to us.

You have to remember that their primary demographic is little kids and kids don't pay a whole lot of attention to when something airs, nor do they blitz through an entire season of a show in a weekend. They pick up episodes here and there, and they're pretty okay with reruns. I used to babysit kids who would happily watch the same episode of Kim Possible every week (they also wanted to watch High School Musical literally every night before bed).

Waiting til summer for what will hopefully be a large batch of plot heavy episodes is a great plan for ratings since kids will be out of school and spending more time watching TV. It sounds horrible to us because we're adults who could just DVR something if we weren't able to watch it immediately, but your average 10 year old probably doesn't have a lot of say over what gets recorded in their household, and that 10 year old will be just as happy rewatching a previous episode if there's nothing new on.

VVVVV - I'm not so sure about the merchandising. I work next door to a mall with a Disney store in it and I stopped by a few weeks ago to look around. I asked the manager if they had any Gravity Falls stuff and she said "No we don't, we're actually not allowed to carry any. Believe me, I've asked." :psyduck:

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
When you think about it, stretching out the episodes is actually fantastic decision-making from Disney (For them, not for us). The thing about Gravity Falls is that it's not like other hit shows like Adventure Time or Phinneas and Ferb-by nature it has a set ending, and from the beginning was designed to only have three seasons worth of episodes. Because of this it's actually in Disney's best interest to maximize the amount of time between episodes, so they can subsequently stretch out the profitability of the show over, say, six years instead of three (Or as it's increasingly looking, four years instead of two). This is likely also important from a merchandising standpoint, since it gives them more time to develop and introduce stuff like toys and DVDs, while ensuring that the show is going to continue to be relevant when they finally release the new Soos Plush Doll or etc. And the great thing about the show is that they can be sure that people are still going to be interested in new episodes no matter when they come out, since the conspiracy aspects of the show have kept the fanbase engaged and entertained while surviving through the long droughts in episodes. At this point, the show is probably more popular than ever, has a fair amount of merchandise, may spawn a movie, and will likely keep on going for another year or so, depending on how they space out the remaining episodes and/or movie, whereas if they'd run, say, Season 1 in 2012 and Season 2 in 2013, interest in the show would already be waning by this point with none of the supporting merchandising.

Say what you will, but the Mouse knows their poo poo.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Just give us at least 2 a month

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CuwiKhons posted:

VVVVV - I'm not so sure about the merchandising. I work next door to a mall with a Disney store in it and I stopped by a few weeks ago to look around. I asked the manager if they had any Gravity Falls stuff and she said "No we don't, we're actually not allowed to carry any. Believe me, I've asked." :psyduck:

The Disney Store in my mall is directly across from a Hot Topic, which carries Dipper hats and a few other random things. I think that's hilarious. Little kids have to go to the cesspool that is Hot Topic to get any kind of merchandise for this show.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I was told they don't really have DisneyXD stuff. The employee looked regretful.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wittgen posted:

I was told they don't really have DisneyXD stuff. The employee looked regretful.

It didn't used to be Disney XD :negative:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I didn't realize DisneyXD was separately managed. what the hell is DisneyXD?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

It's disney's rad channel for young adults, its not all baby shows like the normal disney channel.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

Wittgen posted:

And yet my local Disney Store has Star Wars Rebels action figures and t-shirts, which is a DisneyXD show. Sounds like something they were coached to say if someone asks "Do you have merchandise for ____ show?".

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Renzuko posted:

It's disney's rad channel for young adults, its not all baby shows like the normal disney channel.

In a fit of total irony, DisneyXD and the Disney Channel actually have the exact same official target audience of 6-14 year olds, it's just that DisneyXD is clearly actually to be targeting the Y chromosome set, what with all the SportsCenter interstitials and nigh total lack of female main characters that male children crave. :downs:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gravity Falls averages out to 10-13 eps a year, that's about as much as any other cable program. It's only when you compare it to network shows that get 20-23 eps a year or cartoons that artificially inflate their episode count by having 11-minute episodes that the production seems so slow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sleeveless posted:

Gravity Falls averages out to 10-13 eps a year, that's about as much as any other cable program. It's only when you compare it to network shows that get 20-23 eps a year or cartoons that artificially inflate their episode count by having 11-minute episodes that the production seems so slow.

It's not a question of production. Most cable shows air all their episodes once a week until they're finished, or reasonably close to it. I would be amused to see the reaction if HBO announced a three month break after episode 4 of the next season of Game of Thrones.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's not a question of production. Most cable shows air all their episodes once a week until they're finished, or reasonably close to it. I would be amused to see the reaction if HBO announced a three month break after episode 4 of the next season of Game of Thrones.

Because of how devoted the fanbase is, I'd imagine the ratings would spike due to anticipation.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

In a break from thread tradition; something that isn't completely terrible.

The Gravity Falls theme with a Silent Hill bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlsStBjVLMg

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Xelkelvos posted:

Because of how devoted the fanbase is, I'd imagine the ratings would spike due to anticipation.

It clearly works, looking at the ratings for this show. But it boggles my mind, why would putting a huge delay between episodes make someone watch the show if they weren't watching it before. :psyduck:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
^^^ Why would Pacifica close her eyes on impact here? I mean, she watched where she was going, she didn't bump into it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What? It clearly hits both of them as it flies across the sceen

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

What? It clearly hits both of them as it flies across the sceen
Debatable? I mean, I think the perspective is a bit wonky. It just strikes me as weird that she would warn Dipper about peacocks and then bump into one herself, especially when she's not distracted like Dipper is.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

X_Toad posted:

Debatable? I mean, I think the perspective is a bit wonky. It just strikes me as weird that she would warn Dipper about peacocks and then bump into one herself, especially when she's not distracted like Dipper is.

:wtc: There are feathers flying all over her face. I don't understand your issue; whether anything actually hits her face is pretty irrelevant.

*peacock distress noises*

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

*subtitle joke*

HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO THE SECRETS. BILL CYHPER IS THAT YOU? *bottles piss*

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

QwertySanchez posted:

It clearly works, looking at the ratings for this show. But it boggles my mind, why would putting a huge delay between episodes make someone watch the show if they weren't watching it before. :psyduck:

Word of mouth

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I only found out about Gravity Falls through gifs on SA and I'd say almost everyone I know who's watched it has done so because I showed it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

• Locked thread