Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

this map draws single-family homes and high-rise apartment buildings in practically the same color. russian and nob hills are almost exclusively covered in medium and high-density buildings, but you almost have to use a sampler tool to see that

that's not to dispute your basic point, but the map is designed to make commercial and industrial districts stand out, not really to convey housing density

yeah, I tried to find a better map; you have to zoom and read the labels on each lot to really figure it out.

e: what a lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

people in wisconsin dont even care about the brewers

Wisconsin is weird.

Three pro teams, the only one anybody really cares about is the Packers. The Packers are all weird on their own, they're easily one of the most popular teams in the NFL and they're shoved in a tiny city in northern Wisconsin.

Meanwhile, the entire state are rabid UW fans.

Contrast to when I lived in NY, where not a single poo poo was given about any college team, and everybody is about the pro teams (except Buffalo, but who gives a gently caress about them)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Wisconsin is weird.

Three pro teams, the only one anybody really cares about is the Packers. The Packers are all weird on their own, they're easily one of the most popular teams in the NFL and they're shoved in a tiny city in northern Wisconsin.

Contrast to when I lived in NY, where not a single poo poo was given about any college team, and everybody is about the pro teams (except Buffalo, but who gives a gently caress about them)

you said three teams and i had to rack my brain to remember the bucks exist

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Wisconsin is weird.

this is incorrect, the buffalo bills are the greatest nfl team of all time, and will remain so until the end of the NFL due to concussion issues.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

you said three teams and i had to rack my brain to remember the bucks exist

exactly

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

this is incorrect, the buffalo bills are the greatest nfl team of all time, and will remain so until the end of the NFL due to concussion issues.

yes, they did have a spectacular string of Super Bowl losses.

I will say they did give my Giants one of my favorite SB victories, drat that game was so good

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

super turbo nimby

mods please

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
do you mean the payoff that scott norwood got before intentionally whiffing 3 yards wide right allowing the giants to win?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

do you mean the payoff that scott norwood got before intentionally whiffing 3 yards wide right allowing the giants to win?

:D

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
that was the best superbowl before we got 2 rounds of amazing eli bullshit vs the patriots :3:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

that was the best superbowl before we got 2 rounds of amazing eli bullshit vs the patriots :3:

the patriots won because it was one year too early for the prophecy to be fulfilled

courtesy of a goon in tff

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

where in pittsburgh will you be

greenfield/squirrel hill according to google maps

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

greenfield/squirrel hill according to google maps

okay, I just wanted to make sure you weren't out in fuckin Cranberry, claiming Pittsburghishness.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

everybody in allegheny county claims to live "in pittsburgh."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

everybody in allegheny county claims to live "in pittsburgh."

and everybody west of centre county claims to be "from philly"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sprots and pittsburgh, two great tastes that shut the gently caress up about sports and cities

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"oh you're from philly? what part?"
"uhhhh, scranton"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAW HAW WOW [AREA] SURE IS DUMB LOOK AT ALL THE IDIOTS IN [AREA] LMAO

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that's outside the city limits even they probably have to drive to [location] lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

HAW HAW WOW [AREA] SURE IS DUMB LOOK AT ALL THE IDIOTS IN [AREA] LMAO

yes, i am looking at them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

3 or so years ago i met some dude from pittsburg who within 10 minutes of meeting me (we were in a hotel outside the us) complained about city taxes and explained thats why he lived in the county outside the city

he also used "i'm not racist, but" before explaining why he didn't like something about obama

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

yes, i am looking at them

bless

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

oh god what have i done, i've voluntarily reintroduced pittsburgh chat

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mishaq posted:

3 or so years ago i met some dude from pittsburg who within 10 minutes of meeting me (we were in a hotel outside the us) complained about city taxes and explained thats why he lived in the county outside the city

he also used "i'm not racist, but" before explaining why he didn't like something about obama

kentucky of the northeast etc etc

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm from the city

oh really where?

sag harbor

oh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

there's a lot of super turbo nimby "neighborhood associations" that, thanks to the fact that they all bought their places more than 20 years ago, have basically infinite lawyer money to block anything that they think would change their neighborhood one bit

this is is why san francisco desperately needs a spot-on 9.0

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i am also from the city

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
im from the city

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

im from the city

nice, how is it?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
where i grew up i could say i was from 'the city' to anyone i met and they'd know, without any further questions, that i meant rochester new york

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

nice, how is it?

pretty crowded and expensive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

SF only had 750,000 people 10 years ago you can't just grow a city with almost no space to begin with by 10-15% in that time

of course you can.

they've done it twice before, 1920-1930 and again 1940-1950.

sf population history:
1920 506,676
1930 634,394
1940 634,536
1950 775,357

edit: to everyone's horror, the only way to grow a city by 10-15% is to build new housing oh no1!!!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 20, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

there's tons of vertical construction but the resulting housing is so expensive that it has no impact on the market as a whole

every rich person who buys new construction is one less rich person competing for existing housing stock. every new unit built is a new unit of supply, no matter whose demand it satisfies.

additionally, poo poo just gets old. in 15-20 years, those rich person apartments might be affordable housing for the rest of us.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

pretty crowded and expensive
same. weird how that always happens

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
cant ppl just live in oakland?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Gentrify: Oakland

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every rich person who buys new construction is one less rich person competing for existing housing stock. every new unit built is a new unit of supply, no matter whose demand it satisfies.

additionally, poo poo just gets old. in 15-20 years, those rich person apartments might be affordable housing for the rest of us.

by rest of us do you mean $100k+ salary programmers? lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
my cousin lives in oakland and its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted: