Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't see a regular Wii thread and wasn't sure if I should post in the retro gaming thread about this. I just got my Wii hooked back up and wanted to see what are considered the "must play" games for the Wii and Gamecube so I can check out my local cool secondhand store and see what they've got. Any suggestions?

I've got a handful of Wii/GC titles already, including:
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Eternal Darkness
Dead Space for the Wii
Manhunt 2
The two Rogue Squadron games for the GC

PunchOut, for one thing. DKC Returns, Muramasa, and Mario Galaxy 2.
No More Heroes 1+2 are incredible experiences and should be played at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't see a regular Wii thread and wasn't sure if I should post in the retro gaming thread about this. I just got my Wii hooked back up and wanted to see what are considered the "must play" games for the Wii and Gamecube so I can check out my local cool secondhand store and see what they've got. Any suggestions?

Eternal Darkness
Dead Space for the Wii
Manhunt 2

The Trauma Center games (Team is the most refined of the series)
Goldeneye was a pretty cool reimaging of the original goldeneye game but with Daniel Craig. Shame they missed the point with the multiplayer and it was essentially CoD.
Resident Evil 4 Wii is the best version of the game.

If you have motion+
Red Steel 2 (what Red Steel 1 should have been, no relation in terms of story or setting. Its a samurai western!)

MinibarMatchman posted:

No More Heroes 1+2 are incredible experiences and should be played at least once.

I knew I forgot something! The No More Heroes games!

Oh and Warioware Smooth Moves is the best party game for the Wii, bar none.

How was "Game and Wario" on the WiiU?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
F-Zero GX!!!

And I'll always have a place in my heart for Excite Truck and Bots.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Mario Party 10 is pretty fun. Brining the mario team to the own zone on turn 2 with Bowser is very satisfying.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Snuffman posted:

It's a Wii U Gamepad tech demo hosted by the Wario universe characters. It's barely anything more than that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Snuffman posted:

Some of the games on it are okay, but it's very hit-or-miss. Like a lot of the games were leftover Nintendo Land game ideas they couldn't fit into Nintendo Land. So yeah it's kind of like a tech demo. The few games that are good on it are fun like Gamer, try to get it cheap.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Game & Wario has some cool ideas like multiplayer games just using 1 gamepad and has the same weird presentation as the other games. It's worth getting for really cheap or as a Club Nintendo reward.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Xenomrph posted:

Eternal Darkness
Dead Space for the Wii
Manhunt 2

Killer7.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

mario party is going down at my place in two hours, i'll be sure to give everyone a professional mario party review played in optimal mario party conditions (drunk as gently caress and with other humans)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

deadwing posted:

mario party is going down at my place in two hours, i'll be sure to give everyone a professional mario party review played in optimal mario party conditions (drunk stoned as gently caress and with other humans)

Fixed that for you

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

So, I got to the Spider Guardian in Metriod Prime 2 last night. I finally get what everyone was complaining about.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Eternal Darkness
Dead Space for the Wii
Manhunt 2

Pikmin 1+2!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was kinda bummed out looking at some of the negative Mario Party reviews but then I looked at Miiverse and saw all the little kids like "mario party is so cool i like bowser"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Fixed that for you

That seems like a less violent experience which is counter-intuitive to the traditional Mario Party bloodletting ritual.

Help Im Alive posted:

I was kinda bummed out looking at some of the negative Mario Party reviews but then I looked at Miiverse and saw all the little kids like "mario party is so cool i like bowser"

I seem to remember the series historically having low scores across most publications and not mattering in the end because they tend to be fun anyway.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Help Im Alive posted:

Bowser Party is legitimately fun: I decided to see it in action with my own eyes (as Bowser) and I almost lost. Luckily, I managed to knock out Spike and Waluigi on my 10th turn after Waluigi fibbed the second try at the Power Star.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Eternal Darkness
Dead Space for the Wii
Manhunt 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Snuffman posted:

Seconded.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished a game of Bowser party as Bowser and lost because the CPU's kept getting slow dice blocks and doing 2-3 damage to everyone each turn didn't really matter when they healed it off each turn. The first board in that regard actually felt a little too short really but with how stacked things are against team Mario it's probably the most fair.

Can't wait to play it with real buddies when I'm fixed up, I can see it wearing thin otherwise as there's only 10 Bowser Minigames (why only 10? They've been advertising this forever!)

All Frogs posted:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I'm still furious that the price for this thing is so goddamn high. I understand why, Thousand Year Door is the best game ever, it's fair. But I had my copy stolen and I wanna play it again :argh:

Can the wii-u even play Gamecube games? I'd go buy a wii-gamecube just for this thing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've been waiting for 10 for long enough that I'm even over the 1 cart idea cause I am so sick of 8. GF refused to play 9 because of the cart change but Wii U gamepad shenanigans & Bowser mode sound good enough to make me go hey get over it. Going to do a proper drunk round of it next weekend hopefully and can throw the group's thoughts out there.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Snuffman posted:

This minigame was THE minigame that my sister and her friends liked to play when they picked Smooth Moves. Not that I blame them.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The Wii U can play Gamecube games if you have the ISOs of those Gamecube games and a hacked virtual Wii.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

The Wii U can play Gamecube games if you have the ISOs of those Gamecube games and a hacked virtual Wii.

It still boggles my mind that there's literally a GameCube inside every Wii U.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

eliotlucas posted:

So, I got to the Spider Guardian in Metriod Prime 2 last night. I finally get what everyone was complaining about.

Spider Guardian owns, and is super easy with the jump ball ability the wii edition retroactively added

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Looper posted:

Spider Guardian owns, and is super easy with the jump ball ability the wii edition retroactively added

I just read about that last night. I played through all of Prime 1 and half of Prime 2 without knowing that was in there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

Taint Reaper doesn't understand what America is, he doesn't even have a Myspace page.
Does he watch NASCAR?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It still boggles my mind that there's literally a GameCube inside every Wii U.

Would it blow your mind to know that there's a GBA and DS inside every 3DS?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

japtor posted:

And I'll always have a place in my heart for Excite Truck and Bots.

Yessssssss!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Eternal Darkness
Dead Space for the Wii
Manhunt 2

Itadaki Street (Fortune Street in the US, Boom Street in Europe)

A very advanced and tactical version of Monopoly, featuring characters, stages, and music from Dragon Quest and Mario. Once you understand how to play, you'll never need Mario Party again.

Rhythm Heaven Fever (Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise in Europe)

Thankfully, could have been ruined by motion controls but wasn't. Played with just the A and B buttons, and has very crisp artwork and incredibly catchy rhythm games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMPf9jvLSdM
2 Player

Boom Blox Bash Party (Smash Party in Europe)

Jenga with explosives. Great with 4 people.

Trackmania

4-player splitscreen with an extensive track editor.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember a complaint of amiibo party being you have to tap your amiibo to roll the dice but I just played a round and that's not true at all?

You tap your amiibo to use a item you equipped but you can also just push A on the gamepad to roll the dice/do whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ChaosArgate posted:

I wish it was as easy to hack a 3DS to natively run GBA games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I remember a complaint of amiibo party being you have to tap your amiibo to roll the dice but I just played a round and that's not true at all?

You tap your amiibo to use a item you equipped but you can also just push A on the gamepad to roll the dice/do whatever.

I guess GameXplain can spend fifty minutes dissecting a fake Rayman video but can't bother spending thirty seconds trying buttons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish it was as easy to hack a 3DS to natively run GBA games.

Maybe it's possible to replace the ROM in the ambassador games, like people used to do with virtual console games on the Wii.

The original GBA is still a really comfy handheld though, with easily the best shoulder buttons of any portable. All the later Nintendo ones used tiny rectangular ones because of the hinge, and the PSP/Vita ones had too much travel.

I don't like how the A and B buttons are positioned on most Nintendo controllers though. Even when they first used the diamond pattern on the SNES they realised it was more comfortable to have run/attack on Y and jump on B, and using A and B at the same time means you get your thumb pinched between them.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

It shouldn't blow your mind to find out that the WiiU is basically Wii hardware 1.5x and the 3DS is DS hardware 1.5x
The Wii (with GCN hardware), DS with Gba hardware and Gba with Gbc hardware all did the same.

There is no Gba hardware inside of a 3DS or GCN hardware inside of a WiiU though. Those GCN isos are running off an interpreter which converts software hardware commands that make sense only to GCN hardware to make sense to the Virtualized Wii software"hardware" commands. This is the kind of thing that can be done with time and better understanding of how to optimize the system.

The Gba ambassador games are running off an emulator on the 3ds and on the wii/wiiu shops/installed apps
The emulators are game specific and use speed tricks and hacks to run much like a 3rd party emulator you'd find on the internet. Every game is an individual use case. You can for the most part stuff a new game rom into the data files for a wii/3ds shop/ambassador game without altering the emulator. But the game will run very wonky.

All those emulators on the internet have compatibility lists for a reason. Hard working fans of games have gone through each game and written speedhacks, frameskippers, special hardwaresoftware command interpreters for different game cartridges that use different kinds of game chips (sound chips) (clock chips) (ir sensor chips) etc. The Snes emulators have a particularly storied history of some games using a much better then standard sound chip and to this day the sound emulation of those games even when played on a pc that dwarfs the specs is awful. Because the emulation that looks perfect to you is only 99% perfect in actuality.

Tldr: there isnt a Gba inside of the 3ds and there isn't a Gcn inside of the Wii U. If Nintendo wants to add a Gba or Gcn game to the respective systems they have to spend personhours and salaries to get people to make the emulator run each game 99% perfectly. Which is particularly expensive. This is why they only ever did the few ambassador games and never released GCN eshop games. But we have lots of bored fans and engineers making nintendont possible

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I didn't even read your tldr

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zolthorg posted:

The Gba ambassador games are running off an emulator on the 3ds

Nope.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Do they sell a thing that lets me stand my Wii U up vertically that I can go get in a store? The only place I have where I could have this Wii U I bought horizontally is where the Xbone lives.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheJoker138 posted:

Do they sell a thing that lets me stand my Wii U up vertically that I can go get in a store? The only place I have where I could have this Wii U I bought horizontally is where the Xbone lives.

Straight from Nintendo: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod10646

Or cheaper on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wii-console-stand

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah but like...one I can go to a store and get. Like drive down to the Best Buy or whatever. Do they sell that thing in brick and mortar places? The Wii is going to be here Monday and I need it before then.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah but like...one I can go to a store and get. Like drive down to the Best Buy or whatever. Do they sell that thing in brick and mortar places? The Wii is going to be here Monday and I need it before then.

Nope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I saw a Wii U stand in the store today

I also saw it included in the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I saw a Wii U stand in the store today

I also saw it included in the box

Oh, poo poo. It does come with one. I thought that was just a launch special edition console thing.

• Locked thread