Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The funny thing about that eyecatch is that though it's hard to see most of the text is stolen from old X-Men comics. There's like Magneto ranting about Asteroid M in one of them

I figured they had to have taken it from something, and knowing the exact source just makes it even more fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Yeah, not a whole lot to say about the first episode. I mainly continued because of the good word of mouth and because I really enjoyed the early 90s artstyle.

It's pretty much in the middle as far as first episodes go. Not the flashiest way to start but it does a decent enough job.

What stood out to me the most back when I watched the first episode was the commercial break eyecatch in the middle. It's awesome.

Yeah, the eyecatch was amazing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wait, the premise of da garn is someone gave a kid the allspark and said "go nuts, save the world"?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Artum posted:

Wait, the premise of da garn is someone gave a kid the allspark and said "go nuts, save the world"?

It's too early to tell, but I think the Aurin had a spirit inside it, it can't continously give life.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because in essence, Children are generally better people than adults are. The new generation has more freedom and better clarity than the old.

And yet you hate Tomino / Gundam.

Also jumping back a bit. G-stone, spiral energy, and life fibers are all literally the same thing: the power of evolution made manifest. That's why Guy becomes an Evoluder. It's right there in the name. Of course the others are all referencing Getter, so everything is super similar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna start on Da-Garn as soon as I watch today's JoJo.

Edit: drat, must have been on my fried HD. :/

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2015

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

SpikeMcclane posted:

Because for intents and purposes, Kamille didn't act much better than the adults he railed against. And that's not getting into how children heroes were presented in Zambot 3.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because for intents and purposes, Kamille didn't act much better than the adults he railed against.

That's part of the point. The oder generation leave their grudges to the younger, which causes them to repeat the same mistakes.

Also, next Da Garn will probably be tomorrow.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because for intents and purposes, Kamille didn't act much better than the adults he railed against.

At first. Then Quattro Bajeena tells him about his good friend from college, Char Aznable, and that sets him on a path towards being a reasonable adult.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SpikeMcclane posted:

Also jumping back a bit. G-stone, spiral energy, and life fibers are all literally the same thing: the power of evolution made manifest. That's why Guy becomes an Evoluder. It's right there in the name. Of course the others are all referencing Getter, so everything is super similar.

I've only read Go of all the getter manga, but I did like how getter is literally amoral, it's life itself, it isn't good or evil. Doesn't stop it from being horrifying mind you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Da Garn is fun but really takes off once you get Sevenchanger hanging around because Sevenchanger is the best of all Yuusha machines.

And he's voiced by Koyasu. :allears:

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

ImpAtom posted:

Da Garn is fun but really takes off once you get Sevenchanger hanging around because Sevenchanger is the best of all Yuusha machines.

And he's voiced by Koyasu. :allears:

There is my incentive to start.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Characters not being nice people doesn't make a show bad. Oh my god, you're killing me. I'm dying.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

"When you think about it, mankind is the real monster" - A giant space monster that enjoys turning humans into monsters.

I wish this could be worked into the thread title.

Thank you for making me laugh so hard today!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Artum posted:

I've only read Go of all the getter manga, but I did like how getter is literally amoral, it's life itself, it isn't good or evil. Doesn't stop it from being horrifying mind you.

If you think the Getter is horrifying in Go, please keep reading (also read what came behind). Getter reaches cosmic horror level, and it is wonderful.

I seriously wish we got a true adaptation of the Getter Robo manga, with an actual ending written by a shaman channeling Ken Ishikawa's spirit. Is this too much to ask, world?!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know where to start

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you think the Getter is horrifying in Go, please keep reading (also read what came behind). Getter reaches cosmic horror level, and it is wonderful.

I seriously wish we got a true adaptation of the Getter Robo manga, with an actual ending written by a shaman channeling Ken Ishikawa's spirit. Is this too much to ask, world?!

All I know is the getter emperor is a somehow more intractable version of galactus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think the closest thing we could ever have gotten to that would be an alternate universe where Imagawa wasn't booted from Armageddon's production.

Or at least, it would be an adaption that would have Getter Rays more in line with the manga.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Sharkopath posted:

Hey, don't watch it!

You delayed me, but tonight. I shall.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Beef Waifu posted:

I'd start with New getter robo, maybe G gundam or gurren lagann if you want something more light hearted.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beef Waifu posted:

You could jump on the bandwagon of people watching Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still because of this mess.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Seconding New Getter Robo. It has a right kind of crazy to it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, New Getter is the Getter adaptation that really nails the tone of the manga, even if it plays everything else fast and loose.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I felt thetimetravel arc of New Getter was kind of pointless. It didn't seem to add anything to the larger story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which Getter manga should I have read?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It was necessary for fleshing out what they were fighting since it was less simple than saying "underground dinosaur empire".

Also can someone who knows about foley tell me what Giant Robo's grunt is? Its a fantastic sound, I love it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

All of them, but specifically Arc

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I'm seriously pissing myself at the notion that anyone can be a hero if they 'thought positive thoughts'. That's simultaneously the most meaningless characteristic possible and somehow the most evil thing too.

Like, the Nazis thought they were thinking positive thoughts. They were had super positive thoughts about fascism!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy I know Tomino killed your parents or something, but personally I think you should watch Turn A Gundam. None of the characters could really be called jerks (maybe that one convict) and both sides are very sympathetic. There isn't any "black and black morality" like other Gundam shows. I think it'd be interesting to see what you think of a good Gundam show if you removed the black and black morality complaint.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ninjewtsu posted:

Clawshrimpy I know Tomino killed your parents or something, but personally I think you should watch Turn A Gundam. None of the characters could really be called jerks (maybe that one convict) and both sides are very sympathetic. There isn't any "black and black morality" like other Gundam shows. I think it'd be interesting to see what you think of a good Gundam show if you removed the black and black morality complaint.

I just feel I couldn't do so out of sheer principle because of how I feel about Zeta, Victory, Zambot 3, etc.

Victory was the big one I had a hard time getting over.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 20, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

I felt thetimetravel arc of New Getter was kind of pointless. It didn't seem to add anything to the larger story.

Yeah.

At least it gave us that scene where Ryouma opens up his jacket to reveal that it's stuffed with all sorts of weapons, that was cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clever Spambot posted:

I'd start with New getter robo, maybe G gundam or gurren lagann if you want something more light hearted.

Artum posted:

You could jump on the bandwagon of people watching Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still because of this mess.

Well that's not what I was saying, but I'll take it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Beef Waifu posted:

I understood what you were saying Beef :smith:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

Yeah.

At least it gave us that scene where Ryouma opens up his jacket to reveal that it's stuffed with all sorts of weapons, that was cool.

Plus he's wielding OG getter tomahawks.:allears:

Beef Waifu posted:

I'd suspected as much.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Omnicrom posted:

I understood what you were saying Beef :smith:

We're all here to help each other out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beef Waifu posted:

New Getter Robo is definitely the closest to the original manga. It doesn't follow the original plotline, it changes the title robot and one of the main characters, as well as making minor alterations to the other two (such as raising their age and modernizing their backgrounds somewhat), and has an entirely unique plot; but it nails the feeling of the manga. It's hard to explain, it's by no means faithful to the paper but it's faithful to the spirit.

After that, I'd suggest trying Armaggeddon, it isn't bad at all but it does have its flaws and feels like it's a second part of something despite its first part only coming after the second.

The best Getter thing is still definitely the manga though, and I wholeheartedly recommend it beyond anything else, but New is an easier starting point and still really loving awesome.

Sakurazuka posted:

All, in order. It's a continuous plot, you can't just start anywhere!

Apart from...Apocrypha, I think, that is separate from the rest, all form an intense narrative that is very much worth your while. And it only gets more and more insane as it goes on.

Clawshrimpy posted:

I just feel I couldn't do so out of sheer principle because of how I feel about Zeta, Victory, Zambot 3, etc.

Victory was the big one I had a hard time getting over.

Dude, what the gently caress. I didn't like Zeta either and I still watched Turn-A and I loved it. It is a completely different beast, written by a Tomino that was in an entirely different state of mind. Tomino isn't just "kill 'em all", you know. He has a lot of far more upbeat series. Hell, just check the currently running G-Reco.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Blaze Dragon posted:

New Getter Robo is definitely the closest to the original manga. It doesn't follow the original plotline, it changes the title robot and one of the main characters, as well as making minor alterations to the other two (such as raising their age and modernizing their backgrounds somewhat), and has an entirely unique plot; but it nails the feeling of the manga. It's hard to explain, it's by no means faithful to the paper but it's faithful to the spirit.

After that, I'd suggest trying Armaggeddon, it isn't bad at all but it does have its flaws and feels like it's a second part of something despite its first part only coming after the second.

The best Getter thing is still definitely the manga though, and I wholeheartedly recommend it beyond anything else, but New is an easier starting point and still really loving awesome.

Apart from...Apocrypha, I think, that is separate from the rest, all form an intense narrative that is very much worth your while. And it only gets more and more insane as it goes on.

Dude, what the gently caress. I didn't like Zeta either and I still watched Turn-A and I loved it. It is a completely different beast, written by a Tomino that was in an entirely different state of mind. Tomino isn't just "kill 'em all", you know. He has a lot of far more upbeat series. Hell, just check the currently running G-Reco.

I thought Victory was going to be more "upbeat" than his other stuff..... NOOOOOOPE

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
What on EARTH made you think that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress told you Victory was going to be more upbeat?

Just watch Turn A, your principle of disliking everything this one specific guy made is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There isn't a big enough lol for that.

Blaze Dragon posted:

What's the order, I'm too lazy to look it up.

• Locked thread