Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SedanChair posted:

Was this established?

FRINGE posted:

It is stressful work, not particularly dangerous. Being a garbage man is dangerous work. So is being a fisherman, a truck driver, or a rancher.

I think FRINGE described it really well. I just used the word dangerous because anything could happen at any time, but stressful is a much better word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

It also looks like there's been a trend since the early 70s of being lower numbers of deaths on the job all the time, despite an increase in population (~206 million to ~316 million) and presumably number of cops.

Doing a little more digging, it seems possible that there was a local maximum in the 70s due to the start of the war on drugs. As far as I can tell, even accounting for that, it's been decreasing (and that's also ignoring the huge increase in the US incarcerated populating, indicating that it's getting safer for police despite them putting lots lots more people in jail).
The homicide rate as a whole has been on a downward trend, so it would make sense that killings of police officers would follow.

Pohl posted:

I think FRINGE described it really well. I just used the word dangerous because anything could happen at any time, but stressful is a much better word.
People evaluate the risk of aggression from others differently from the risk of harming themselves or suffering a random accident.

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:
But but but LEO deaths include things like heart attacks. Obviously this skews the numbers. That job isn't statistically dangerous. :smug:

Apparently in the race to super-ftp-smug nobody noticed the fishermen and construction worker stats include a lot of medical related deaths.

No job related murders of fishermen or construction workers though, except by you know...

Zeitgueist posted:

unsafe conditions, and capitalism.

:smug:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Except the medical deaths of Firefighting and Law Enforcement that we are laughing at here are not things like cancer related to firefighting, or severe back injuries caused by duty belt, but heart attacks at a young age caused by poor fitness and bad eating habits in not-extreme activities, like a fat firefighter collapsing after a flight of stairs, or a cop collapsing on a yearly mandated fitness run. That's not a hazard of the job anymore than walking to your car is. Separating those both statistically and rhetorically from "stabbed in the neck"-type deaths or "run over by a fleeing perp" is very important.

Yet an another mainly american thing. Being a fat gently caress is so accepted and common that a fat gently caress dying of being a fat gently caress is a tragedy and a hazard of the jobs requiring things such as: walking, kneeling, running, standing

For clarification, hazards caused by and inherent to policing:

-Violence by others
-Equipment related to the job causing disabilities
-Excessive driving upping hazard of being in traffic
-Mental illness from trauma and stress

List goes on, but on the side of hazards NOT caused by and inherent to policing:

-Being fat
-Eating like poo poo
-Not exercising

Glad to be of help in sorting this out for you.
I'll help you more:

Death caused by medical issues related to the job:

quote:

"Deputy Chief Steven Bonano died from blood cancer he contracted after inhaling toxic materials as he participated in the rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center site following the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001."

Death NOT caused by medical issues related to the job:

quote:

"Assistant Chief Carl Borderlon suffered a fatal heart attack inside of the police department's headquarters building during the early morning hours after having changed a flat tire on his patrol car.

He was working the overnight shift when the flat occurred in front of the station. He went into the station after changing the tire and collapsed. His body was found at approximately 8:00 am."

Another death NOT caused by medical issues related to the job:

quote:

"Lieutenant Scott Travis suffered a fatal heart attack while clearing snow from the walkways in front of the Bullitt County Detention Center during a heavy snowstorm."

The bottom two were people of bad health and life styles succumbing to those things who just happened to work as police officers.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

I'll add my own smugness modifiers, thanks though.

:smugdog:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Apparently in the race to super-ftp-smug nobody noticed the fishermen and construction worker stats include a lot of medical related deaths.
Nobody argues that fishermen and construction workers should be allowed to execute people "because they felt like it" due to the "extreme risk" of their jobs. Even though their jobs are riskier.

The entire discussion hinges on the pay and leniency for committing violent crimes that LEOs give each other as a part of their gang code to make up for their "risky jobs".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiS4JQF90js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAFqf5lOCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ins9VAo-xLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo37wpKaNI

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

The bottom two were people of bad health and life styles succumbing to those things who just happened to work as police officers.

This is kind of silly because the occupational fatality states for the other professions include the same sort of stuff, and also the nature of police work is a very unhealthy lifestyle in of itself.

Besides, a delivery driver slipping on a frozen sidewalk is an occupational death even if we might do the same walking to work. Including these deaths in the statistics represents aggregate risks caused by the differing amounts different occupations place people in situations where low probability events could result in death. A 55 year old overweight chef is at far less risk of a heart attack then a 55 year old overweight police officer that has to shovel out the parking lot as part of his duties.

Its correct to point out cops get an inappropriate amount of hero worship for how "dangerous" the job is. Trying to use the fact fishing is more dangerous to say cops don't need guns or to be threat conscious is a non sequitur. Its like saying fisherman shouldn't have life vests because logging is more dangerous and loggers don't wear them.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jarmak posted:

Its correct to point out cops get an inappropriate amount of hero worship for how "dangerous" the job is. Trying to use the fact fishing is more dangerous to say cops don't need guns or to be threat conscious is a non sequitur. Its like saying fisherman shouldn't have life vests because logging is more dangerous and loggers don't wear them.

It's not a non-sequitur, it's specifically talking about how "this job is dangerous" is not an excuse for killing folks on questionable cause.

Policework can be dangerous, so can logging. One of those two jobs gets a pass when somebody gets shot. Lets hold police to standards of loggers, who probably don't get to say "well the guy was holding a screwdriver" and get to avoid trial when they shoot somebody.

Oh and :smuggo: just for you Ima

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

It's not a non-sequitur, it's specifically talking about how "this job is dangerous" is not an excuse for killing folks on questionable cause.

Policework can be dangerous, so can logging. One of those two jobs gets a pass when somebody gets shot. Lets hold police to standards of loggers, who probably don't get to say "well the guy was holding a screwdriver" and get to avoid trial when they shoot somebody.

A substantial part of the danger from police work is from people trying to kill you, none of the danger of logging is from people trying to kill you.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jarmak posted:

A substantial part of the danger from police work is from people trying to kill you, none of the danger of logging is from people trying to kill you.

A substantial part of the danger form policework comes from driving a car and eating poorly. Probably more than from people wanting to kill you.

I'm not sure why any of that argues for more leniency in response to shooting someone to death, rather than more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Plenty of young healthy people have heart attacks due to undiscovered heart defects and the like.

On topic
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/long...-ford/25049063/
"I apologize to the court in not having been more diligent in my duty to ensure that proper disclosures of any exculpatory evidence had been provided to the defense."

drat

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jarmak posted:

Oh and by the way

The risk of dying as a cop, from any job related injury is about 10 in 100,000(2013)

The risk of dying from actual murder as a black american is 17.5 in 100,000(2011)

I'm assuming you're for giving black folks the benefit of the doubt when a cop makes a threatening movement at them, right?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Jarmak posted:

A substantial danger as a citizen of the United States is interacting with cops who can kill you on a whim and then take a paid vacation.

Should citizens be empowered to kill cops when they make "are perceived to make" a verbal or physical threat?

(Obviously not. And "trained" officers should be held accountable for murder when they execute people. In fact, their "training" which is the excuse they give for jailing innocent people, killing innocent people, and breaking various laws "based on their professional judgement" should be held against them when they egregiously fail to behave as non-monsters.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

A substantial part of the danger from police work is from people trying to kill you

A substantial part? Compared to traffic accidents?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

Unless and until restraining violent people with weapons becomes a part of a logger's job description, this comparison is worth than useless. Logging is dangerous because there is a high risk of serious injury and the job site is often really far away from medical attention. Police work is dangerous because officers are dealing with people who want to hurt them as part of their job. Like, loggers don't get a pass when they shoot someone because their job will never require them to shoot someone.

This isn't to say that police were justified in this case, or that they shouldn't be held accountable for situations like this where they obviously screwed up. But if "loggers don't get to shoot people" is just about the dumbest possible critique of police violence.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

Substantial is doing a lot of heavy lifting as a weasel word there.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

A substantial part of the danger form policework comes from driving a car and eating poorly. Probably more than from people wanting to kill you.

I'm not sure why any of that argues for more leniency in response to shooting someone to death, rather than more.
Zero percent of the risk in most professions comes from people actively trying to harm you due to your profession, and very few involve an obligation to engage with drunk, unstable, or actively violent criminals. Law enforcement is exceptional in this regard, so I don't know why you keep bringing up lumberjacks.

Zeitgueist posted:

Oh and by the way

The risk of dying as a cop, from any job related injury is about 10 in 100,000(2013)

The risk of dying from actual murder as a black american is 17.5 in 100,000(2011)

I'm assuming you're for giving black folks the benefit of the doubt when a cop makes a threatening movement at them, right?
According to that link, the vast majority of black homicide victims were killled by men they knew, not the police, so...

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Patrick Spens posted:

Unless and until restraining violent people with weapons becomes a part of a logger's job description, this comparison is worth than useless. Logging is dangerous because there is a high risk of serious injury and the job site is often really far away from medical attention. Police work is dangerous because officers are dealing with people who want to hurt them as part of their job. Like, loggers don't get a pass when they shoot someone because their job will never require them to shoot someone.

This isn't to say that police were justified in this case, or that they shouldn't be held accountable for situations like this where they obviously screwed up. But if "loggers don't get to shoot people" is just about the dumbest possible critique of police violence.

Myself and others are bringing up logging to put the "danger" aspect in perspective. Police work is dangerous because sometimes officers are dealing with people who want to hurt them, but it's also dangerous because you're in a car all day. That's true of other car-centric jobs.

There's no reason why cops should get a pass when they shoot someone, even if that's a possibility on their job. If anything, they should be scrutinized more, to suppress "bad apples" and corruption.

All of this is in the context that police are shooting people way too often. If folks don't want to talk about other dangerous jobs, don't bring up the danger. Dangerous is not an excuse to kill people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A substantial part of the danger from logging is from cougars trying to kill you.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to that link, the vast majority of black homicide victims were killled by men they knew, not the police, so...

You're right, it's egregious how immune to arrest and prosecution black men are.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dead Reckoning posted:

Zero percent of the risk in most professions comes from people actively trying to harm you due to your profession, and very few involve an obligation to engage with drunk, unstable, or actively violent criminals. Law enforcement is exceptional in this regard, so I don't know why you keep bringing up lumberjacks.

What percentage of risk of death from criminals makes it OK to go lenient on someone when they kill a person?

quote:

You are in substantially more danger of someone trying to kill you as a black person than a cop is. I'm just trying to figure what the parameters are that make it OK to go easy on someone when they kill a person.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

You are in substantially more danger of someone trying to kill you as a black person than a cop is. I'm just trying to figure what the parameters are that make it OK to go easy on someone when they kill a person.
Except for the part where you explicitly talked about cops making "threatening movements" in your original post.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except for the part where you explicitly talked about cops making "threatening movements" in your original post.

Except for the part where someone mentioned the danger of someone trying to kill you as some sort of justification for shooting people and I was responding to that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

Law enforcement is pathetic in this regard. Ask anyone that has worked the floor at a locked psychiatric facility. (I was one.) The scared little piglets woudnt even walk inside past the lobby when they wanted to question someone because we demanded they leave their guns outside of the resident area.

If a small number of "not specially trained, non-cops" can restrain extremely strong and literally psychotic individuals then the armored gang should be able to do it without gunning people down to get their dicks hard.

The reason they have so many excuses for executing people is because that is their preference. The first time this came to general public attention was when that "Most Dangerous Gang" (or whatever it was called) expose hit social media a few years ago and they had a cop on camera essentially admit to killing someone who was burned and bloody from a car accident "because he looked gross".

(Speaking of psych work - it pays nothing compared to LEO salaries and requires more contact, and more restraint than is expected of the cops.)

When a cop makes a decision to kill someone they should be investigated up one side and down the other to check for a failure in judgement (of any kind). They are trusted with public force and should be held extremely loving accountable for its use. If their excuse is "I didnt make a decision I just reacted" then they should be put at a desk permanently, fired, or imprisoned depending on the nature of the failure.

Corporate America wants cops who are dumb, violent, and obedient to their masters. The citizens need cops who are smart, thoughtful, and restrained. This is a serious battle.

edit - This is reflected more and more with the military faux-warzone training and mindset of the people that are supposed to be here to serve and protect the citizens.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 20, 2015

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Taken from the National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial Fund

The NLEOMF lists 62 cops killed feloniously; 48 of whom were shot, 10 of whom were killed by a vehicle (5 struck by car, 3 car crashes, 2 motorcycle crashes), 2 were killed in a struggle, one was strangled and one "was killed in a fire related incident." If you strip out the car and motor cycle crashes and the "killed by fire," you get 56. I'm not sure if you should keep the "struck by vehicle" because that could be either intentional homicide or recklessness, but anyway, 126 cops died in 2016.

(with hit by car) 56/126 = 44 percent
(without hit by car) 51/126 = 40 percent

Note that I just grabbed the data for 2014 at random, if anyone has data that spans over several years that would be cool to see. So I would say that between 40 and 44 percent of all fatalities being homicides would be a substantial portion of the danger.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

Note that I just grabbed the data for 2014 at random, if anyone has data that spans over several years that would be cool to see. So I would say that between 40 and 44 percent of all fatalities being homicides would be a substantial portion of the danger.
Until the LEOKA report for 2014 that number is bullshit.

You can go grab the numbers for preceding years though.

I know this was a typo but it is in the spirit of the propaganda:

quote:

126 cops died in 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
On a happy note, one criminal cop was busted.

This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSaDu1Eh2E

He never got busted for robbery while in loving uniform, but he did get busted for threatening to kill people while off-duty.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/karma-cop-legally-robbed-people-cash-arrested-assault-deadly-weapon/

quote:

The irony here is that while Dove was assaulting people with a gun and stealing from them, while on-duty, he escaped all accountability. But when he assaults people with a weapon, while off-duty, he is then arrested.

According to police, Dove, 47, was arrested in response to a dispatch call about a man with a gun at a gas station. He was charged with drawing a deadly weapon in a threatening manner and assault with a deadly weapon.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

You're an idiot the LEOKA report is not all inclusive so using it as a measure of the high water mark is loving stupid, also even according to the LEOKA report from 2013, literally the safest year ever recorded to be a cop, shows that more cops were shot to death then died in traffic accidents.

Calling the NLEOMF propaganda doesn't make it so, the fact that they are pro-police doesn't somehow invalidate their data, do you think they're just engraving fake names into the memorial in DC or something?

Zeitgueist posted:

Substantial is doing a lot of heavy lifting as a weasel word there.

SedanChair posted:

Yes, substantial, as in 30-40% depending on year/source, as in more then traffic accidents. There's nothing weasel words about it.

Zeitgueist posted:

Oh and by the way

That's a depressing statistic but I think its telling that you decided to compare cop fatalities from the year with the least police fatalities ever recorded to to murders of black Americans from the year where the most cops were murdered in the last 10 years, despite there being data on both available in the same year.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

FRINGE posted:

Fair enough,

LEOKA doesn't include illness related deaths, and it's 2013 count of felonious deaths is lower than than NLEOMF's for the same year, so the comparison is going to be off, but

27 felonious deaths vs 49 accidental deaths but I'm taking out two that were killed during pursuit.

25/76 = 33 percent killed by malice. Note that 2013 was a good year for cops, the average number of police killed feloniously from 2004 to 2013 was 51 a year.

quote:

Well now I have to leave it in.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
I think it's telling that to a certain subset of posters in this thread, there is no such thing as legitimate criticism towards law enforcement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Oh my god. Can we all agree that while policing may not be as dangerious as some say, it is probably more dangerious than the average desk job?
I also hate to say it, because some of these tactics are fairly new, saying "policing isn't that dangerious" could walk into "yes, it isn't that dangerious now because police walk around like everyone is trying to kill them."

This whole thing isn't a productive discussion anyhow. The question is how do we get cops to kill fewer people, not "is being a cop dangerious or not." It has just become a dick waving contest.

Spun Dog posted:

I think it's telling that to a certain subset of posters in this thread, there is no such thing as legitimate criticism towards law enforcement.
who?
Those peolle tend to hide in the GiP thread.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Law enforcement is pathetic in this regard. Ask anyone that has worked the floor at a locked psychiatric facility. The scared little piglets woudnt even walk inside past the lobby when they wanted to question someone because we demanded they leave their guns outside of the resident area.

If a small number of "not specially trained, non-cops" can restrain extremely strong and literally psychotic individuals (I was one) then the armored gang should be able to do it without gunning people down to get their dicks hard.
So orderlies can corral known and mostly medicated mental patients in a treatment facility where their physical movement and access to weapons is strictly controlled. This is comparable to the dangers faced by law enforcement because...

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jarmak posted:

That's a depressing statistic but I think its telling that you decided to compare cop fatalities from the year with the least police fatalities ever recorded to to murders of black Americans from the year where the most cops were murdered in the last 10 years, despite there being data on both available in the same year.

Oh give me a loving break, the reason why I used those were because I pulled an article that quoted one year, and one quoting another year. I didn't try any harder than that, because I knew you were going to whine no matter what, so why bother.

Save me some time, is there a year where the data on all police deaths begins to eclipse the data on just AA murders, are we going to do that thing where you miss the point of the observation in an attempt to nitpick data.

The only telling part here is I correctly guessed you were going to whine about cherry picking data when it wouldn't have many sort of difference to my point.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

You're an idiot the LEOKA report is not all inclusive so using it as a measure of the high water mark is loving stupid, also even according to the LEOKA report from 2013, literally the safest year ever recorded to be a cop, shows that more cops were shot to death then died in traffic accidents.

Nope. LEOKA has 26 cops shot in 2013, vs 23 killed in car accidents, 4 killed in motorcycle accidents and 9 struck by vehicles accidentally (which I'm going to count as traffic accidents).

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2015

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Taxi drivers have a MUCH higher risk of being murdered at work than cops do (source [pdf]), but taxi drivers in many places are not allowed to carry guns on the job, if not by local law then by the companies they work for. If cab drivers started regularly shooting unarmed black people because they found their existence threatening, I'm pretty sure they would actually be prosecuted.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nm posted:

Oh my god. Can we all agree that while policing may not be as dangerious as some say, it is probably more dangerious than the average desk job?
I also hate to say it, because some of these tactics are fairly new, saying "policing isn't that dangerious" could walk into "yes, it isn't that dangerious now because police walk around like everyone is trying to kill them."

This whole thing isn't a productive discussion anyhow. The question is how do we get cops to kill fewer people, not "is being a cop dangerious or not." It has just become a dick waving contest.

The discussion comes from folks attempting to justify cop kills. I think if we agree that cops kill way too many people and should do it less, and shouldn't get it easy when they kill someone, we'd be good, but that's the core of the conflict, isn't it?

quote:

who?
Those peolle tend to hide in the GiP thread.

They poo poo and run every few pages of these threads.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

The discussion comes from folks attempting to justify cop kills. I think if we agree that cops kill way too many people and should do it less, and shouldn't get it easy when they kill someone, we'd be good, but that's the core of the conflict, isn't it?

This discussion comes from the fact you and Sedan Chair couldn't stand Pohl making the point "Policing is dangerous but it doesn't justify the tactics they're using" without jumping all over him/her for saying police work is dangerous.

edit: sorry it was Sedan Chair and Fringe

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jarmak posted:

This discussion comes from the fact you and Sedan Chair couldn't stand Pohl making the point "Policing is dangerous but it doesn't justify the tactics they're using" without jumping all over him/her for saying police work is dangerous.

edit: sorry it was Sedan Chair and Fringe

Wasn't me, as you say.

I have always held the position that cops should be held to at least the standards that other citizens are, if not higher.

As a very wise philospher once said, "with a glock and license to kill black people comes great responsibility"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ordinarily this would be Poetic Justice, but I assume much like the founder of MADD, William Lawrence didn't actually expect this.

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/3/19/dub-lawrence-utah-swat-team-police-militarization.html

Well at least the brave men, with their dangerous jobs are keeping us safe from gangs and drugs....

quote:

From 2010 to November 2014, 45 people were killed by police in Utah – more than the number of Utahns killed by child abuse or gang- and drug-related violence.

Oh.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gee that's almost the number of police violently killed per year, in one state!

• Locked thread