Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Catching up to this. That Bentusi stage was glorious. Just those impassioned arguments were swaying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wait until Friday.
I guess I should've clarified with "unless you have a whole campaign's worth of resources to blow on your explosions budget".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 17, 2015

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

WFGuy posted:

It really is a weird disconnect at this point that the Beast is demonstrated to be this hideously effective subverting influence, and at the barest minimum a week's gone past in-universe (it should really be weeks, but I guess maybe everyone's just been running on pure caffeine for a while now), yet it's somehow never made the jump to an inhabited planet (e.g. Hiigara, as mentioned before). I could see how it might not be too fussed about a planet from a tactical perspective, since planet-based life doesn't give it the ships it needs to move around, but it's not like it would take it much effort to send an infected colony ship or something to bombard a planet or two with Beast missiles.

Ludonarrative dissonance, certainly, but it does help explain why Homeworld 2 apparently glosses over the whole thing.

My best guess is that they don't go after planets because if they focused on planets getting infected then they've got to tie up how they get cleansed I guess.

And as mentioned before, what would they get out of it? I imagine most of the ships are made in space and are not aerodynamic, so building ships on the planet to launch doesn't seem very handy.

I imagine population/biomass density has something to do with it. There's a lot of people tightly packed on the ships. I imagine that lets the biomass effectively spread across the ship and hook into essential systems quickly. I'm imagining something like a submarine, where people are in very close quarters constantly. On a planet, who knows how tightly packed it is? You might get a whole city, sure, but unless it's a planet that's one big city I don't imagine it'd necessarily spread across the entire planet.

The beast also transmits from ship to ship via a charged plasma beam that coats a ship. :techno: Would a city be conductive of this charged plasma? Would it require significantly more charged plasma to infect? Would the fact that there's an atmosphere interfere with the charged plasma? Am I a huge nerd? The answer to one of these questions is yes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zudrag posted:

My best guess is that they don't go after planets because if they focused on planets getting infected then they've got to tie up how they get cleansed I guess.

And as mentioned before, what would they get out of it? I imagine most of the ships are made in space and are not aerodynamic, so building ships on the planet to launch doesn't seem very handy.

I imagine population/biomass density has something to do with it. There's a lot of people tightly packed on the ships. I imagine that lets the biomass effectively spread across the ship and hook into essential systems quickly. I'm imagining something like a submarine, where people are in very close quarters constantly. On a planet, who knows how tightly packed it is? You might get a whole city, sure, but unless it's a planet that's one big city I don't imagine it'd necessarily spread across the entire planet.

The beast also transmits from ship to ship via a charged plasma beam that coats a ship. :techno: Would a city be conductive of this charged plasma? Would it require significantly more charged plasma to infect? Would the fact that there's an atmosphere interfere with the charged plasma? Am I a huge nerd? The answer to one of these questions is yes.

Who's to say the Beast wouldn't be able to convert non-mechanical matter into mechanical parts, or else use biomatter in high proportion or even exclusively? All we really know is that the virus is able to infect 100% of every ship it's encountered and integrate it into a singular entity. Why would that stop it from infecting 100% of a planet?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Probably it would take more time and effort than the beast is willing to put in for something of limited strategic value when there's all these parts running around in space. It's a nightmare scenario for the Hiigatans, though.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Who's to say the Beast wouldn't be able to convert non-mechanical matter into mechanical parts, or else use biomatter in high proportion or even exclusively? All we really know is that the virus is able to infect 100% of every ship it's encountered and integrate it into a singular entity. Why would that stop it from infecting 100% of a planet?

The issue, I think, is the time involved. While eating a ship might take around five to ten seconds, just long enough for you to select and double-tap the scuttle key, the biggest ship the beast can effectively instantly subvert would be, roughly guessing, around the size of a football field in length and width. Even the Naggarok itself took enough time from exposure to complete subversion for the crew to sabotage the engines and communication suite, even if their efforts were rendered ultimately futile due to a combination of their own redundant engineering dispatching an infected distress beacon and, as seen in the game, the efforts of the Taidaan Imperialist Moron contingent.

So, hypothetically, let's say that the Beast does decide to turn a planet into snack food. Assuming geometric growth, but access to enough biomass simply by consuming grass, trees, and even dirt, with a doubling of the infection point every 30 seconds or therabouts, it would still be a significant amount of time for an infection to spread enough to be a proper threat, instead of simply a lethal trap for the dumb people poking it with sticks.

As for what's stopping the Beast from infecting planets? Well, I think what's mounted on the Kuun-Lan might offer a clue as to proper deterrent.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sel Nar posted:

The issue, I think, is the time involved. While eating a ship might take around five to ten seconds, just long enough for you to select and double-tap the scuttle key, the biggest ship the beast can effectively instantly subvert would be, roughly guessing, around the size of a football field in length and width. Even the Naggarok itself took enough time from exposure to complete subversion for the crew to sabotage the engines and communication suite, even if their efforts were rendered ultimately futile due to a combination of their own redundant engineering dispatching an infected distress beacon and, as seen in the game, the efforts of the Taidaan Imperialist Moron contingent.

So, hypothetically, let's say that the Beast does decide to turn a planet into snack food. Assuming geometric growth, but access to enough biomass simply by consuming grass, trees, and even dirt, with a doubling of the infection point every 30 seconds or therabouts, it would still be a significant amount of time for an infection to spread enough to be a proper threat, instead of simply a lethal trap for the dumb people poking it with sticks.

As for what's stopping the Beast from infecting planets? Well, I think what's mounted on the Kuun-Lan might offer a clue as to proper deterrent.

The reason it's not infecting planets is explained in a throwaway line about halfway in: the infection began in a sector without inhabitable planets and so far it's been contained in that area. The Homeworld series seems to go by the assumption that proper life-bearing planets are few and far between, hence The Homeworld being such a big deal. As it is, all the Beast really needs to do is subvert the orbital defenses and then drop a few cruise missiles on strategic locations across the globe.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

The reason it's not infecting planets is explained in a throwaway line about halfway in: the infection began in a sector without inhabitable planets and so far it's been contained in that area. The Homeworld series seems to go by the assumption that proper life-bearing planets are few and far between, hence The Homeworld being such a big deal.

I'm not so sure about that; at the very least, the Taiidan research planet was close enough for the Somtaaw to reach, and shortly before that they ran into a fleet running from a planet that went super-nova; Hiigara should also be fairly close as well. That's at least three planets right there, and probably even more space stations/mining facilities, like what the Pirates and Imperialists had that the Khun-Lan came accross.

Personally, I'd bet mostly on the planetary defense/lack of bio-mechanical density argument, as well as the fact that the Beast would have to create something that could actually assault and capture planets, as the ships that have thus far been subverted would be poorly suited for such a task. In other words, the Beast would need to build or subvert (as you suggested) planetary assault selves before it could even try to infect a planet, and that's a lot of time/resources lost, neither of which the Beast has enough of at the present time.

The Beast would probably suggest something a bit more horrific: the people of each planet build things and then send them up to space, along with a certain number of people up to be infected; in exchange, the Beast doesn't wipe out the planet from Orbit Kharak style. This way, the Beast acquires "renewable resources", the people on the planet get to live until they run out of poo poo to give the Beast, and the Beast has plenty of time to figure out how best to infect a planet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who says the Taiidan research planet was habitable? All it needed to be was well-hidden. And planets in star systems that have gone nova tend to be a little less than pleasant to live on.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pretty sure the animatic cutscene for the research planet showed it was a snow-blasted hellhole.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Neurion posted:

Pretty sure the animatic cutscene for the research planet showed it was a snow-blasted hellhole.

I thought it was sand-blasted myself. Matches up with the view you get of it from the mission. Could be either or really.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Could be yellow snow.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dabir posted:

Could be yellow snow.

We... hunger...

Wait, what is- the entire planet!? Really!?

We hunger... elsewhere...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If Beast was to harvest planets, why would it necessarily need people? Why not send up ships full of Hicows, himonkeys and stuff? It's still biomatter. It's not like the Beast feeds on minds and souls. Hell, it would only need to capture the Mothership dock and an orbital farm.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Part of this, guys, is that the Beast is not a mindless monster.

It is an intelligent monster. It doesn't go for targets it can't take, it sets traps, utilizes the specialties of its ~parts~ to devastating effect.

It thinks, it hungers, and it's patient.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JcDent posted:

It's not like the Beast feeds on minds and souls.

It... kinda does. It clearly absorbs knowledge and memory from the Parts it consumes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I imagine an ideal world for the beast is where it controls all space and demands every planet give away parts at a set rate. Beastifying a planet means it won't produce any more parts and the beast probably is smart enough to play the long game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

One could also assume that the Beast has no interest in turning people into biocircuitry, when all it can connect to is drywall and household electronics.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

THE BAR posted:

One could also assume that the Beast has no interest in turning people into biocircuitry, when all it can connect to is drywall and household electronics.

The beastified washing machine demands more dirty laundry, PARTS, more laundry!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PurpleXVI posted:

The beastified washing machine demands more dirty laundry, PARTS, more laundry!

We Hunggerr for your linens. Why do YOU deny us thisssssssss.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Beast can clearly create new electronic components when it absorbs a manufacturing facility (and that's setting aside ship building). I really don't see what's essentially "the Thing meets the Borg" having trouble creating its own parts out of whatever it might find.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

We Hunggerr for your linens. Why do YOU deny us thisssssssss.
We really need more Beastified home appliances.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

anilEhilated posted:

Cue the tech war between Westinghouse and General Elerughgh over AC and BC.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Beast can clearly create new electronic components when it absorbs a manufacturing facility (and that's setting aside ship building). I really don't see what's essentially "the Thing meets the Borg" having trouble creating its own parts out of whatever it might find.

Most manufacturing of the kind the Beast cares about that would let it continue spreading exists in orbit already in this setting, so there's not much on planet surfaces that it would care about.

On the other hand, presumably the massive amount of biomass it would have access to on the surface on a planet would give it a massive boost in intelligence, so...

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Not necessarily. We've already seen that it doesn't communicate instantaneously with all of its parts. A planet, while a massive source of biomass, is also incredibly spread out: its unlikely that it thinks faster than light, and more likely that it goes at the speed of regular neurons. Ships are smaller and denser, which means they're much easier to operate as a single mind. On a planet, meanwhile, it would think slow. And all the parts on a planet would be incredibly vulnerable to a Kharak-style bomb. In space, not only is it much more efficient, it is also much safer, and it has access to all the resources it needs anyway.

Taking over planets can wait until it wears down the Hiigaran and Taiidan fleets, after which it can do so at its leisure.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Don't do it, Beast. Don't assimilate that toaster.

Sometimes, bread is better.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't do it, Beast. Don't assimilate that toaster.

Sometimes, bread is better.

And now I am visualizing a Somtaaw toaster that can cleanse itself of Beast infection via plasma (which it also uses to cook the toast REAL fast). Actually the idea of Hiigaran appliance design is hilarious/disturbing to contemplate; just what designs could they come up considering the ships we've seen?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

For a start, the toaster would be markedly different from The Divine Toaster by using doors and trays and being vertical for all it means.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So you guys are saying that Beast and Taiidan Empire are allies because Beast couldn't assimilate Taiidani mothership?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This is the end.

I just wish the ending credits were longer so I could decompress my thoughts a bit more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

berryjon posted:

This is the end.

I just wish the ending credits were longer so I could decompress my thoughts a bit more.

Before I watch the video, I just want to say that I love the Babylon 5 reference.

Edit: I used Leeches to destroy the two emitters, not MCVs.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 20, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

berryjon posted:

This is the end.

Kiith Somtaaw Warship KUUN-LAN :3:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

John Liver posted:

A secret project under the codename "Nomad Moon."

...oh please let this be what I think it is.

I knew it. A fully armed and operational battle station.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
Another great LP

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
My mistake during the mission, thought that the Nomad moon was a perfect target for the siege cannon. Turns out it is able to repulse it, and returned to my ship with the destruction of my fleet.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Edit: I used Leeches to destroy the two emitters, not MCVs.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Although that would be boring, and this option is more... visceral.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Although that would be boring, and this option is more... visceral.

It also caused the deaths of... what, 30 pilots? At least? You monster.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a friendly carrier on this map at the start of the mission. Once, I managed to save it. After a while, I thought to send workers after it to heal it.

They had a bit of trouble with that, because it had decided it wanted nothing to do with this battle and left the map via the bottom boundary. They couldn't reach it. It also had two or three of its own fighters perpetually trying to dock with it.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

benzine posted:

My mistake during the mission, thought that the Nomad moon was a perfect target for the siege cannon. Turns out it is able to repulse it, and returned to my ship with the destruction of my fleet.
I think almost everyone made that same mistake once. I'm pretty sure I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man I just love Somtaaw.

"What the hell was that strange energy shockwave from that giant battlestation?!"

"No idea, but our engineers think they can put it on our dreadnought!"

And the upgrade is a small dome.

• Locked thread