Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

icantfindaname posted:

but everything between the time that they grew out of the target demographic and the time when they found Adventure Time is the Worst Show Ever

Yeah that's accurate to pretty much any kids media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's hard for people to judge the stuff they watched growing up objectively and then they grow out of alot of those shows and rather than assuming their taste has changed, they just assume the new stuff is bad.

KND was alright but uneven from what I saw. It was actually better when it was focusing on grander stuff where you got the sense of the this senseless but grand organization and the wars it fights. There's no real element to it that was even approaching offensive badness.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

It really is amazing how CN somehow managed to go half a decade without making anything good between Samurai Jack and Gumball. It's not even like they had a case of brain drain to excuse it, Camp Lazlo was one big Rocko reunion and Foster's Home was like a 90s CN reunion but nothing of value came of it.

The one dad being a monstrous shadow Bill Cosby was one of the only funny things in that show and now they can't even do that anymore.

Shadow dad and Cosby were different characters. Shadow dad was a Kirk Douglas impression.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
KND was fun but I don't know how it will fair. What seems to really be working for CN is the 11 minute spots they do nurture an artist have some talent let them make 11 minutes of something and more often than not its good.

I don't know why they wanted to go with stupid live action shows or game shows. Just make fun cartoon shorts.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I remember this episode of KND where one of the Delightful Children betrays the others and helps the KND to get a briefcase they apparently needed.

Except it turns out that he was double crossing them and leading them into a trap of some sort.

Except it turns out that the KND knew this from the start and stuffed the briefcase with explosive.
It was pretty fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I enjoyed Kids Next Door, but after a point it was about 90% parodies, and I feel like a lot of the entertainment value of the show came from the sources it was riffing off of rather than any of its inherent qualities. I think the show ended as well as it could hope to, the disparate worldbuilding elements that they built up over the years were a mess. There were 3 different origin stories for the origin of the KND, and the one they ended on was insane and it would be a terrible idea to continue from there.

Also, pretty much anybody who watched the show back when it was on is now over 13, which sort of breaks down a lot of the show's themes?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

bring back flapjack, aka the best cartoon that ever done aired.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJ0Zdsjf2s

Kids Next Door was great :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sleeveless posted:

Yes.

Pretty much any time Maurice Lamarche, John DiMaggio, or Billy West pop up on a podcast they're great, and the episode of Nerdist with Rob Paulsen and Maurice Lamarche just playing off of each other for an hour is fantastic.
His episodes with Mark Hamill are great too, but then again I can listen to Mark talk about anything :allears:

axleblaze posted:

I've always hated Scooby Doo so I was shocked at how good that series was. It was just a weird experience to be watching Scooby Doo and be enjoying it.
Yeah I mean its the best Scooby Doo other than maybe Zombie Island and a lot of those late 90s to early 2000s DTV movies

Voice acting is both top notch for Mystery Inc and those movies.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Knd had that gwar episode which owned. Also who is that insane retard who doesn't like TTGo can I get a mod..?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

axleblaze posted:

I've always hated Scooby Doo so I was shocked at how good that series was. It was just a weird experience to be watching Scooby Doo and be enjoying it.

gently caress you :argh:

I really like Gumball. It's the random monkey cheese counterpart to AT and SU. And unlike Uncle Grandpa, it's not groan-inducing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nckdictator posted:

So, since it's getting removed from Netflix I decided to binge watch the 2010 Scooby Doo cartoon. It's surprisingly good.

You mean Mystery Inc.? Yeah, I think everyone was surprised by that one.

Sleeveless posted:

It really is amazing how CN somehow managed to go half a decade without making anything good between Samurai Jack and Gumball. It's not even like they had a case of brain drain to excuse it, Camp Lazlo was one big Rocko reunion and Foster's Home was like a 90s CN reunion but nothing of value came of it.

It's not that surprising when you consider that during that period, the person in charge of Cartoon Network literally hated cartoons. That's why you got poo poo like the CN Real block and that one horribly lovely sketch comedy show that had the Adventure Time kid in it.

icantfindaname posted:

I liked Kids Next Door? I don't think it was any worse than any other show of that era, and in general I don't really think shows of that era were that much worse than even stuff like Adventure Time, and definitely not worse than like TT Go or those Star Wars CGI things. I was the right age when they were airing, but god drat, for a thread full of people watching children's media posters ITT are incredibly quick to accuse things of being juvenile

It's hilarious watching this kind of schizophrenic grognard-raging where people are fawning over the Cartoon Renaissance of SU/Gravity Falls, but everything between the time that they grew out of the target demographic and the time when they found Adventure Time is the Worst Show Ever

ah yes, the good ol' "if you didn't like the same things as me then you must be some kinda NERD WITH NOSTALGIA GLASSES, not like me who is a cool buff guy with sunglasses" defense, always a good one to make people care what you have to say

It would be stupid to say that there wasn't some good stuff in that period, but they were buried in a mountain of poo poo (and Kids Next Door was part of the latter group, sorry bro). Most of them you probably don't even remember because they weren't even memorably bad.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 21, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Get this silly kids poo poo out of my children's cartoon thread

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah, go back and watch some of these shows like KND and Billy and Mandy. Nostalgia is making these shows seem better. Plus the CN made them the core of their programming.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I was a teenager for most of the early 2000's, so even though I might still not like a lot of the cartoons mentioned that aired around then, I think a lot of my personal dislike of them at the time stemmed from the attitude I had. I was alot more negative and cynical then, and took things way too seriously, so things like KND and Billy and Mandy simply wouldn't appeal to me. Maybe most of the shows actually were bad, maybe not, but I remember completely brushing of giving Avatar a chance, and it wasn't until I was in my 20's and watching it on Netflix that I realized how wrong I was to do that. I imagine a lot of the people making arguments about cartoons from that particular decade may be in the same boat.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I don't know Billy and Mandy did have Hoss Delgado, but on the other hand Billy and Mandy was ruined for me because of seeing those Bleedman webcomics :barf:

I was at the right time for those cartoons on CN, hell I liked Jimmy Neutron as a kid because it was a show about science and I needed something to fill the void left by Dexter's Lab going away.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

shadowvine118 posted:

I was a teenager for most of the early 2000's, so even though I might still not like a lot of the cartoons mentioned that aired around then, I think a lot of my personal dislike of them at the time stemmed from the attitude I had. I was alot more negative and cynical then, and took things way too seriously, so things like KND and Billy and Mandy simply wouldn't appeal to me. Maybe most of the shows actually were bad, maybe not, but I remember completely brushing of giving Avatar a chance, and it wasn't until I was in my 20's and watching it on Netflix that I realized how wrong I was to do that. I imagine a lot of the people making arguments about cartoons from that particular decade may be in the same boat.

Avatar holds up a lot better I think when you can binge watch the whole thing. I tried to watch it when it originally aired and I gave up after a few episodes because boy does that show start out rough.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i have never actually watched the great divide

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think I did, neither. Some of the episodes wouldn't work on Netflix for some reason, I think it was that one and the water tribe deliverance one that wouldn't load.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

The one dad being a monstrous shadow Bill Cosby was one of the only funny things in that show and now they can't even do that anymore.

Were they even going for that? I Thought it was just the stereotypical 50's father knows best Dad turned into a Bond Villian.

axleblaze posted:

What's New Scooby Doo, whilst not in the pantheon or anything, was very solid revisioning of the show format too.

It seems to be a "Aye, Naw" cycle for the Dog; We get What's New, we get that stupid show where Shaggy and Scooby are fighting a lovely bond villian. We get Mystery Inc and then that show that CN's going to inclict next on us happens.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 21, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

ah yes, the good ol' "if you didn't like the same things as me then you must be some kinda NERD WITH NOSTALGIA GLASSES, not like me who is a cool buff guy with sunglasses" defense, always a good one to make people care what you have to say

That's ... literally what your argument is? That anyone who likes the thing you've decided is Objectively Bad is a nostalgia-misled idiot, and you will not tolerate anything other than sneering and loudly making known how much you dislike the thing? AKA angry grognard-raging.

There's threads on this forum for lovely CGI Star Wars cartoons, a lovely CGI TMNT cartoon, a lovely CGI Tranformers cartoon. This thread loving loves TT Go. Pitching a fit about good-to-mediocre shows from 10 years ago not being loudly criticized enough is :laffo: as heck. You need to calm down

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 21, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I remember really liking KND when it seemed like they were a small group of friends/spies and there were only a few actual "villains" based in the kind of poo poo that adults bother kids about (oh no the lunch lady's going to force vegetables on us!). But then as the show went on all adults turned into some sort of shadow government/Illuminati and the KND themselves were revealed to be some globe-spanning organization with a drat moon base and I just checked out because there's a fine line between fun ridiculous and dumb ridiculous.

(also their registration device is a giant bunch of boogers which makes me almost dry heave thinking about it but they just kept bringing it up in multiple episodes. ewwww)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ConanThe3rd posted:

Were they even going for that? I Thought it was just the stereotypical 50's father knows best Dad turned into a Bond Villian.

Like Corek pointed out, there was a dad that was a literal shadowy figure that was voiced by Maurice LaMarche doing a Kirk Douglas impersonation. I was referring to Kevin Michael Richardson's character, which was a ZIP ZOP ZOOBITY BOP SWEATERS AND JELLO PUDDIN POPS Cosby riff.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I enjoyed Kids Next Door, but after a point it was about 90% parodies, and I feel like a lot of the entertainment value of the show came from the sources it was riffing off of rather than any of its inherent qualities. I think the show ended as well as it could hope to, the disparate worldbuilding elements that they built up over the years were a mess. There were 3 different origin stories for the origin of the KND, and the one they ended on was insane and it would be a terrible idea to continue from there.

Also, pretty much anybody who watched the show back when it was on is now over 13, which sort of breaks down a lot of the show's themes?

KND was like the logical endpoint for everything after Tiny Toons/Animaniacs, where execs saw that and thought that everything from then on needed to be an endless wave of pop culture references that meant nothing to actual children, to the point where KND had almost nothing to call its own.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, go back and watch some of these shows like KND and Billy and Mandy. Nostalgia is making these shows seem better. Plus the CN made them the core of their programming.

The thing is I never watched those shows back in the day. I have no nostalgia for them. Billy and Mandy was pretty good. It could get repetitive but when it was on it was a surprisingly dark and funny show. I already said what I thought of KND: it wasn't amazing but the central premise was really fun and when they really explored that stuff it was pretty great. Neither of these shows are really "these are objectively bad and you just think they were good" worthy. They were pretty alright cartoons. Not amazing but also not worth condemning to some dark age when CN had nothing good on.

People are just generalizing era for the sake of convenience. There was never a time when everytime CN showed was all good or all bad. Even the horrible live action stuff also happened during the era that people are defining as when the bad stuff stopped. I will say this era the ratio of stuff is skewed much better (when Adventure Time and Gumball premiered they were surrounded by stuff like Mad and Annoying Orange) but even now we have Ninjago mucking up the schedule. Still saying there was nothing good between Samurai Jack and Gumball is ridiculous and discounts alot of really, really great shows.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

icantfindaname posted:

a lovely CGI TMNT cartoon

And that's where you lost me. Have you watched the new TMNT cartoon? It's great.

Also, lol at a bunch of adults arguing and insulting each other over opinions of children's cartoons.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I;m not an adult I watch cartoons

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
^^^ Mods, underage user alert.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
f*ck!

should be bannable to alert mods to the underaged imo

frank.club fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 21, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

frank.club posted:

f*ck!

should be bannable to alert mods to the underaged imo

:captainpop:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

That's ... literally what your argument is? That anyone who likes the thing you've decided is Objectively Bad is a nostalgia-misled idiot, and you will not tolerate anything other than sneering and loudly making known how much you dislike the thing? AKA angry grognard-raging.

There's threads on this forum for lovely CGI Star Wars cartoons, a lovely CGI TMNT cartoon, a lovely CGI Tranformers cartoon. This thread loving loves TT Go. Pitching a fit about good-to-mediocre shows from 10 years ago not being loudly criticized enough is :laffo: as heck. You need to calm down

Oh okay, so now we're on to part two: "it is u who is mad not me, why u so mad settle down lol"

cool, I guess, sorry I besmirched a lovely cartoon you like

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 21, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

raditts posted:

Oh okay, so now we're on to part two: "it is u who is mad not me, why u so mad settle down lol"

cool, I guess, sorry I besmirched a lovely cartoon you like

Look, you think that KND is lovely. We get it. Either elaborate on what you didn't like or shut up about it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
enough other people expressed that that it doesn't seem necessary, and would not make ican'tfindaname's post less insufferable

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

That... is pretty true, actually, but I still think that we need to move the conversation beyond "i liked this" and "i did not like this"

Example: I have recently watched Star vs. the Forces of Evil and found it pretty good. It manages to have an hyperactive character without it becoming annoying; the other main character is... maybe not that original but at least its gimmick of "safe kid" lends itself to a few gags. And hey, he's pretty evidently hispanic! Representation, woo-hoo.
With only four episodes it's too early to say if it's going to blow the doors off but there is potential in there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I enjoyed the aesthetic of KND but ultimately I think it fell flat with me because there was no consistency to the central metaphor. Sometimes adults are evil, except the ones who aren't, and sometimes you grow up into an adult, but sometimes kids and adults are a separate species, or lord knows what.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Don't forget about teenagers

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sockser posted:

Don't forget about teenagers

WHAT IS EVEN THEIR DEAL

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never really cared for it normally but Billy & Mandy gets props from me for doing an episode that was a pretty solid parody of God Emperor of Dune.

raditts posted:

Avatar holds up a lot better I think when you can binge watch the whole thing. I tried to watch it when it originally aired and I gave up after a few episodes because boy does that show start out rough.

Yeah, the early episodes of Avatar aren't that great, they're a little too "kids show."

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I know a lot of people are going to hate me for saying this, but I honestly thought Totally Spies was okay, I mean back when there was nothing I could watch on TV as a kid, I'd leave it on and see what it's like. I still watch an episode every now and then, but that's about it.

Did anyone ever watch Duel Masters? It just looked like a bootleg of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I don't really care much about it, I knew it was a thing back then...and afterwards it disappeared years ago.

Oh and I used to remember Beyblade, but when I look at it now, it was just so loving dumb. The anime behind this was nothing but LIES, the show made the tops look like an awesome, slow-pacing yet hard-hitting battle, and there was so much drama between the story and the characters. That is when we actually buy the drat toys, we quickly realised those 'awesome battles' were nothing. The show made them look like they lasted for 30 minutes, when we played with them...they lasted for 30 seconds (actually they lasted about 10-15 seconds on average). It used to be all the rage at my school, even in assembly at one point, but now they're gone because 1. everyone in my class were busy playing with Bakugan and 2. we figured out Beyblade was a load of poo poo.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

axleblaze posted:

The thing is I never watched those shows back in the day. I have no nostalgia for them. Billy and Mandy was pretty good. It could get repetitive but when it was on it was a surprisingly dark and funny show. I already said what I thought of KND: it wasn't amazing but the central premise was really fun and when they really explored that stuff it was pretty great. Neither of these shows are really "these are objectively bad and you just think they were good" worthy. They were pretty alright cartoons. Not amazing but also not worth condemning to some dark age when CN had nothing good on.

People are just generalizing era for the sake of convenience. There was never a time when everytime CN showed was all good or all bad. Even the horrible live action stuff also happened during the era that people are defining as when the bad stuff stopped. I will say this era the ratio of stuff is skewed much better (when Adventure Time and Gumball premiered they were surrounded by stuff like Mad and Annoying Orange) but even now we have Ninjago mucking up the schedule. Still saying there was nothing good between Samurai Jack and Gumball is ridiculous and discounts alot of really, really great shows.

Oh yeah I understand what you're going for; saying that from Samurai Jack to Gumball there was nothing to watch is a huge generalization. I just speak up about KND and Billy and Mandy because it seemed like they were carrying CN for a while while they experimented with live action programming. I feel the same way about Ben 10 too. Also I get Billy is supposed to be borderline retarded but it was just too much.

Junior Jr. posted:

Did anyone ever watch Duel Masters? It just looked like a bootleg of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I don't really care much about it, I knew it was a thing back then...and afterwards it disappeared years ago.

I remember the dub completely taking the piss out of it which made it pretty funny.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 21, 2015