Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Any recommendations for how I can fix this clusterfuck? I already banned heavy traffic which had next to no impact. I created it at the beginning because I thought it looked pretty, but it has not scaled well. I'd prefer not to have to bulldoze huge swathes of land if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

Noyemi K posted:

Nope, industrial.

Had my suspicions, interesting. Thanks.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Noyemi K posted:

Nope, industrial.

Do they serve any purpose or function outside of jobs? I think they do very very small amount of goods, but are they better tax income than industry?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Slickdrac posted:

Do they serve any purpose or function outside of jobs? I think they do very very small amount of goods, but are they better tax income than industry?

Not that I'm aware of, unless you do what I do and jack taxes up on them. Industry is worth a hell of a lot more if you're also collecting your own raw materials.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eschatos posted:

Any recommendations for how I can fix this clusterfuck? I already banned heavy traffic which had next to no impact. I created it at the beginning because I thought it looked pretty, but it has not scaled well. I'd prefer not to have to bulldoze huge swathes of land if possible.

I don't see a clusterfuck there, that looks normal to me.

In this SS none of the red/orange roads are traffic problems. The graph just shows how busy your streets are, not if they're having problems. My roads between the different parts of town are usually all red on this map, but there aren't any traffic issues.

Enos Shenk posted:

Works in progress on other buildings.

One of my other favorite weird buildings, the Southern California Gas building in LA.

It was also featured fairly prominently in a movie. Anyone know which one?

I've also been roughing in the modelling on this. Which is going to take a lot of clever thinking to get it playable.

Are you making your regular buildings growable or ploppable? It really bums me out to see a bunch of cool buildings wind up just being plopable monuments.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Basically treat them like HT Industry from SC4 and sprinkle them in your downtown core.

Then struggle to get them to level 3 while everything else is level 4. :argh:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Fish Fry Andy posted:

In this SS none of the red/orange roads are traffic problems. The graph just shows how busy your streets are, not if they're having problems. My roads between the different parts of town are usually all red on this map, but there aren't any traffic issues.

Are you making your regular buildings growable or ploppable? It really bums me out to see a bunch of cool buildings wind up just being plopable monuments.

What I want to do is have a mix of ploppables and growables, since I like to come up with a little story for each of the buildings. Like the import shop has some flavourtext on the workshop you can read, and imagine there's a company setting up shop in your town to sell goods. Maybe in the future, you could have a "regional HQ" in your town in addition to their shops and/or offices.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

What I want to do is have a mix of ploppables and growables, since I like to come up with a little story for each of the buildings. Like the import shop has some flavourtext on the workshop you can read, and imagine there's a company setting up shop in your town to sell goods. Maybe in the future, you could have a "regional HQ" in your town in addition to their shops and/or offices.

Sc4 had a thing where you could mark buildings as historic. These buildings would not change or get upgraded. I used to like marking supermarkets as historic, every one needs to eat :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My current town uses no offices, those are lame. Industry and heavy trucks everywhere. :colbert:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah offices just kinda feel a bit off at the moment. I hate heavy Industry, but its a necessary burden. I just need to work on proper zoning to get traffic flowing without cross-district interference and jams and I'll be fine. Offices though seem to be too much boon for the buck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

binhex posted:

Hey, so I made a map I thought people might enjoy. It's based of the height map data from Zion National Park (although I took some artistic liberties with highways + a train connection).

You start on the valley floor and have to expand to get up to the highlands surrounding the valley.

I really enjoy playing with the water in this game, so this was a fun map to make. Some good opportunities for dams etc in here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410988108

The valley floor

A nice twisty river

Some of the highlands around the valley

An overview of the map

Emerald pools + waterfall

This looks cool as hell, thanks!

So what mod do I need to have more than a 3x3 grid for my cities?

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Just spent the evening on a new city , 10k inhabitants and not a single traffic light.

Wonder how long I can keep it going, high res-residential is putting some strain on the two lane one-way roundabouts.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I feel like buildings that are unique looking or location sensitive should be ploppables, as you need to strategically place them so they don't break up the aesthetics of your city when they grow in weird places or you get 50 Empire State Buildings sprouting up.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Vetitum posted:

Just spent the evening on a new city , 10k inhabitants and not a single traffic light.

Wonder how long I can keep it going, high res-residential is putting some strain on the two lane one-way roundabouts.

Upgrade to highways.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

Works in progress on other buildings.

One of my other favorite weird buildings, the Southern California Gas building in LA.

It was also featured fairly prominently in a movie. Anyone know which one?

Looks good. Someone else in this thread modeled that building already too. It's in my current version of Chicago (which also has the Statue of Liberty).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've been working on this abomination of a tropical city since last night. It's not really that special, but it's the first city I've gotten to this point that hasn't spontaneously imploded.

Overhead view from the other side, showing the freeway. Traffic is actually working pretty great on and off the freeway, the problems are inside the giant residential mass there.

At some point I decided this was a great idea and would solve all my problems.

This harbor is on the other side of the island because for some reason there are no other spots with external connections except on the beach and I prefer to solve all my problems by building giant fuckoff railways.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
So can I just bulldoze all my light industrial and rezone as offices, or is there actually a need for some light industrial at all times?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Is there a rail harbour on the workshop, or did you build a cargo rail station across the street?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Shab posted:

So can I just bulldoze all my light industrial and rezone as offices, or is there actually a need for some light industrial at all times?

You can - at least I did. I dezoned all my industrial, replaced it with offices, got up to take a poo poo, came back and my city had grown in the meantime. No problems at all.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The DoF blur sort of stopped me watching my Cims and I've only just noticed:

Nobody said there would be dogs and that you could name the dogs and the dogs get into cars with their owners and then get back out of the cars. His name is now Sebastian and he goes to school with his master! You can't go into a school dog, you're going to get in trouble! GOTY. I wonder what pet related things you could mod.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Kinda wish you could follow your designated cims much like Simcity 4, and they would give more in depth chirps to clue you in to how people actually interact with your city. A mode will probably cover it before the devs at this rate :)

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

wit posted:

The DoF blur sort of stopped me watching my Cims and I've only just noticed:

Nobody said there would be dogs and that you could name the dogs and the dogs get into cars with their owners and then get back out of the cars. His name is now Sebastian and he goes to school with his master! You can't go into a school dog, you're going to get in trouble! GOTY. I wonder what pet related things you could mod.

A good dog.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
You can also follow and rename the seagulls. Every one I spot now gets renamed to Shitbird.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've been working on this abomination of a tropical city since last night. It's not really that special, but it's the first city I've gotten to this point that hasn't spontaneously imploded.

Overhead view from the other side, showing the freeway. Traffic is actually working pretty great on and off the freeway, the problems are inside the giant residential mass there.

At some point I decided this was a great idea and would solve all my problems.

This harbor is on the other side of the island because for some reason there are no other spots with external connections except on the beach and I prefer to solve all my problems by building giant fuckoff railways.

What map is that on? I like it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There should be some policies, a 'retirement community' or something, that attracts all the old people so I can get all those half dead fucks out of my city where I can properly dispose of them.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Man I love this game

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sankis posted:

There should be some policies, a 'retirement community' or something, that attracts all the old people so I can get all those half dead fucks out of my city where I can properly dispose of them.

Excellent loving idea.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

SineRider posted:

Man I love this game

Should be in the OP

DMST
Jul 11, 2006
Our Man in Havana.
I am loving this game so far. I've always wanted to try city builders seriously. I've dabbled in Tropico a bit, but never long term. I think I bought Sim City 4 but I'm sorry to say I didn't spend much time with it. This game drew in me right away and It's so much fun. Traffic is a bit of clusterfuck (maybe in a good way?) but I can't get enough of plopping down parks and pedestrian paths and bus lines and anything to help the people get around. I'm taking turns playing a normal game and then a unlimited funds everything unlocked one. I'm trying to make the sandbox one a super planned utopia, but it's just so overwhelming. I like the structure of a normal game though, you can plan things naturally and address issues without spending an hour planning a segregated bus land that no one will use for 10 years.

I'm playing that Hong Kong map and its pretty awesome. There's tons of room to build (after you get past the starting area) but it's not a boring super flat map either. Tons of rolling hills and there's mountains in the background! Not as intense of a map like those crazy island volcano's but it's still interesting.

Really looking forward to the future of this game. So much potential. I want canals, European style pedestrian streets (I do have that one pathway zoning mod), historical and futuristic mods and more tourist "buildings". Monuments, stadiums, ski slopes, bar districts, art galleries or whatever. Pretty cool this mod integration.

DMST fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 21, 2015

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

No Kaijus allowed

If there was a way to make buildings look rundown without having them be abandoned I'd pretend it was a Warhammer 40K city.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SineRider posted:

Man I love this game

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ModeSix posted:

What map is that on? I like it.

It's called "Raerei Cove" in the workshop.

binhex
Aug 17, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

This looks cool as hell, thanks!

So what mod do I need to have more than a 3x3 grid for my cities?

I use "All 25 Areas purchaseable" (sic): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405810376

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Been playing that mars map, god drat it owns. Not expanded into the basin yet, but poop lake exists :)

Had to build that stack in the city center because it was an 8 spoke roundabout which started jamming 24/7. instead its now a crossroads for the major traffic and a 4 spoke roundabout for all other traffic.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Got my crime rate to 41%, now I just gotta keep it there for TWO YEARS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

NO LIVING IN THE STREETS

simcityirefighters.jpg

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I've gotten fairly close to something like this. I have no idea how it happened, but all the old people moved into a new neighbourhood I made, and with like three graveyards they had trouble keeping up with all the people dying. Also, the hospital there had like 250 patients at all times, whereas in my main borough at like 20k inhabitants, the hospital and clinic have like 1 patient a month if they're unlucky.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pwnyXpress posted:

Got my crime rate to 41%, now I just gotta keep it there for TWO YEARS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I inadvertently got that unlock while going for the abandonment one. If your population plummets it pushes the % high, I think.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
So I've run into a problem.

I have incredibly high commercial demand, but all the commercial zones I've put down are dying due to not enough educated workers. Uneducated fucks are taking up all the jobs, which then kills the stores. There's plenty of industry--which is also dying, I keep building more and more residential, but no matter what I try to do the commercial dies and the demand keeps rising.

Probably part of the issue is that I am attempting to build a Tiny Town, with all 1x1 lots, but that means tiny houses and slow population growth. Also the 1x1 parks in the workshop are ridiculously OP, so the commercial and industry buildings keep upgrading.

What the hell do I do? In my regular big city I've always run into the opposite problem with too many overeducated workers, so I'm at a loss :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I want/need a monolith for my cities.