Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KayTee posted:

Deadly Mantis was my favorite - but that's one that's fallen into copywright hell AFAIK.

I remember the first episode I saw - my friends and I were channel surfing at 1am and just happened to trip over it. I never found out what the film was but it had a running gag wherein one of the characters was a hypnotist (or something) so Tom Servo would constntly ad-lib "SLEEEEEPP!" to lines throughout. Never found it again. :(

This is most likely The Undead, which is a pretty good episode overall. It's also a Roger Corman movie, so it's one of those you can watch outside of the context of the show without wanting to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

I agree that season 1 is pretty unwatchable. Since it's improvised there's also lots of dead air, so it barely feels like you're watching a riff at all.

As for more good ones, Horrors of Spider Island always kills me. I'm more selective with the black and white movies, but that one's great.

Oh man, that's also another one I love. It's so stupidly sleazy and spider.. wolf thing... was the best.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know it's... counter intuitive, but are there any episodes that aren't so good?

They couldn't really make "Racket girls" very entertaining. I struggled through that one.

I slightly prefer Mike - can't remember who I started watching, but when I was lent someone's MST3k DVDs I thought "wait a minute, why is the main guy a different guy now? I thought he was called Joel? Or is he called Mike?" But I think they're both great hosts. I didn't grow up with the show or watch it on-air, so I don't really have an attachment to one host over another.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like Joel because he reminds me of Lorenzo Music's calm, comforting voice.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

I honestly appreciate everyone taking the time to do synopses, categorize things, and find their favorite recommendations but holy poo poo I could not watch a single one of these all the way to the end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kalos posted:

I honestly appreciate everyone taking the time to do synopses, categorize things, and find their favorite recommendations but holy poo poo I could not watch a single one of these all the way to the end.

Phelous is just not for you then.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kalos posted:

Did you try watching one of his Bootleg Zone episodes? Those are probably Phelan at his most low-key.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Jack Gladney posted:

I like Joel because he reminds me of Lorenzo Music's calm, comforting voice.

That's a pretty fitting description, which is probably why he's Phelan's favorite. I like Mike's episodes more, but both hosts have their good qualities.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
The MST3K episode I just cannot watch again is "Kitten with a Whip." Ann Margaret is SO irritating- her voice just grates on me.

Pod People will always be my go-to favorite- "Trumpy, you can do stupid things!" "It's called evil, kid." "Heyyy, I'm on the milk carton!"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My first MST episode was a Mike one and it was The Brain That Wouldn't Die. I'm fairly fond of it because that's basically when the show came into my life where I was stressing over school and when I sat down to do work, marathoning the eps really helped pull me through.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first MST3k I saw was the one where it was set in the future, and it had a big fat guy who they always made fun of for eating a lot of waffles(?). I remember cracking up and watched the show every morning after that.

But I still haven't found that waffle episode again. Anyone know what it was? It was a Mike episode.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That sounds like Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh are we talking about our first MST3K episodes. Mine was the Wild World of Batwoman (Catwoman?) I watched with a friend of mine on Netflix back when I was still in high school.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Compendium posted:

That sounds like Overdrawn at the Memory Bank?

I think this is it. Wow. Thank you.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Alacron posted:

Am I the only one who's favorite MST3K is This Island Earth? It was the first one I ever saw when my best friend got a copy on VHS. We wore the poo poo outta that tape.

That same friend later got bootlegged DVD's of every episode, which awesome.

For the longest time this one was the only legitimate exposure I had to MST3k since we've never gotten the series where I live, so it does hold a special place in my heart.

"Shatner, Shatner, Shatner... okay he's not in this one, we're safe."

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

littleorv posted:

Oh are we talking about our first MST3K episodes. Mine was the Wild World of Batwoman (Catwoman?) I watched with a friend of mine on Netflix back when I was still in high school.
Batwoman's never-ending ending gave us one of the best Servo moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

CelticPredator posted:

I think this is it. Wow. Thank you.

Overdrawn-as-first-MST Crew :respek:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god. Tabletop playing Cards against Humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEqUn7If44

:allears:

Edit: Wil Wheaton is the worst human. :stonk:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 20, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KayTee posted:

My friend made me watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY7Ywv_JiI

It sold me on the card game - it's on the way, but goddam Will is loving annoying in this. (e: On second thought: everyone is loving annoying in this) Is he like this in all his videos? I remember when he wrote columns in Dragon magazine, and he was pretty cool and chill and whatever in that - really helped me in my games. God only knows when the creature in this video emerged. Any thoughts?

Well, he's definitely pretty obnoxious in the first few minutes in that one. I don't find him annoying on Tabletop generally, maybe a bit over the top, but not to that degree. I wonder if it was just the game or something. I'd recommend their Fiasco videos, but that's also much different from their usual fare given the nature of Fiasco.

The one I tend to find annoying on Tabletop is Felicia Day. She's not annoying in all of her appearances by any means (she was fine in Fortune and Glory), but on one or two of them (Last Night on Earth and Munchkin I think) she got absurdly obnoxious in an attention-whory kind of way.

E: Oh hey, coincidentally someone just posted that Diabetus is doing a D&D 4E LP, for whoever wanted to see how a tabletop LP might work:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467826

Looks like the first few are audio-only, though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 20, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like Tabletop a lot (though yea some episodes don't work well at all), and Wil's recounting of why he is in fact a living monster was probably one of the best things Tabletop has ever produced. This whole show could be terrible and still be alright just for spawning that story.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like Tabletop a lot (though yea some episodes don't work well at all), and Wil's recounting of why he is in fact a living monster was probably one of the best things Tabletop has ever produced. This whole show could be terrible and still be alright just for spawning that story.
My personal favorite is Unspeakable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9FzW5QyEg
Because Troy Baker :swoon:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
MST3K chat: I first saw the short "A Day at the Fair" on youtube when I was thirteen and fell in love. Fun Fact: The witch in The Undead has the same name as me!

Also, my dad used to watch the unMSTed "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" every Christmas. He knew it was bad. He'd make my mom watch too. :shepface:

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Violet_Sky posted:

MST3K chat: I first saw the short "A Day at the Fair" on youtube when I was thirteen and fell in love. Fun Fact: The witch in The Undead has the same name as me!

Also, my dad used to watch the unMSTed "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" every Christmas. He knew it was bad. He'd make my mom watch too. :shepface:

Wow, what a coincidence that they named you Meg-Maud :v:

I introduced my friends to the riff-free Santa Claus and it worked perfectly: everyone was confused, laughing, and mildly disgusted. merrrrry Christmaaaaaas

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Skip to 18:25 to witness the crowning jewel of the game.

edit: Oh god, Will Wheaton IS the worst human being. I lost it at that story :magical:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Skip to 18:25 to witness the crowning jewel of the game.

edit: Oh god, Will Wheaton IS the worst human being. I lost it at that story :magical:.

Haha, okay that was the best episode of tabletop I've seen.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Wil's story is easily the best part, but the rest of the video is pretty hilarious too. Aisha Tyler is a goddamn national treasure.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Never saw this interview with Joel, Trace and Frank.

https://youtu.be/fe9y9d8Ue8E

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gianthogweed posted:

Never saw this interview with Joel, Trace and Frank.

https://youtu.be/fe9y9d8Ue8E

According to Frank, their criteria for including a movie on the show was that you could follow the story. So uh...how the gently caress did any of Coleman Francis' movies make it in, then :psyduck:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 20, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cubey posted:

According to Frank, their criteria for including a movie on the show was that you could follow the story. So uh...how the gently caress did any of Coleman Francis' movies make it in, then :psyduck:

Well, things happened in a sort of sequence, and there were the same characters throughout. I understand this is not always the case for bad movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Beast of Yucca Flats had that helpful narrator.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHd-_HlcUO4

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Nope, no way, nuh uh.

You're not tricking me into watching that.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Alacron posted:

Nope, no way, nuh uh.

You're not tricking me into watching that.

It's a trap.

:smithicide:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh hey, I haven't checked in a while, what's going on with Spoon...

oh, another month of wrestling.

E: Gonna be honest, I have no idea, his wrestling videos could be the most tightly edited, polished, funny, insightful reviews known to man. But I have negative interest in wrestling so I ain't watchin em.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jsor posted:

E: Gonna be honest, I have no idea, his wrestling videos could be the most tightly edited, polished, funny, insightful reviews known to man. But I have negative interest in wrestling so I ain't watchin em.

In all fairness to Spoony we're coming up to what might be the biggest clusterfuck of a Wrestlemania in WWE history so there is a lot of poo poo to talk about. I'm talking good chance of the show being booed out of the building bad here.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Every time I click one of his videos I just shake my head at the awfulness and shut it off. This time I decided to actually stick it out and actually see what he had to say. About 10 minutes in he actually started to make his point. I totally disagreed with his point, but at least it was a point, and it was somewhat interesting to listen to (it's basically an anti-gamergate video, but he's acknowledging that gamergate is his generation's fault because of the no holds bar way they fought censorship in the 90s). Then after five more minutes of interesting commentary the cringeworthy nonsense began again so I shut it off.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 21, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

Every time I click one of his videos I just shake my head at the awfulness

The cringe worthy nonsense is hilarious in a head shaking sort of way. Its like he's a big kid.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The cringe worthy nonsense is hilarious in a head shaking sort of way. Its like he's a big kid.

Yeah, it's just that it goes on for soooo long.

edit: Looking back at his older videos, it's a shame. He actually made some pretty interesting points without all the lovely distractions.
https://youtu.be/9joAb4XMaUs

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 21, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jsor posted:

I wanna strap him into a chair and force him to watch New Japan Pro and Ring of Honor. Maybe some Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. Then maybe he will realize, like I did, that you don't need the WWE anymore to watch great wrestling.

I think once you know the greatness of The Young Bucks and The Bullet Club, you will neve rlook at Pro Wrestling the same way again.

https://vine.co/u/1173211691929001984

https://vine.co/u/913565340267593728

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 21, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BigRed0427 posted:

I wanna strap him into a chair and force him to watch New Japan Pro and Ring of Honor. Maybe some Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. Then maybe he will realize, like I did, that you don't need the WWE anymore to watch great wrestling.

poo poo he could just watch NXT if needs WWE style stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jsor posted:

I haven't watched any of Spoony's stuff in years, but these videos are unedited three hours of of rambling at a camera punctuated by bad wrestler impersonations that go on for ten minutes at a time and occasional screaming.

Spoony hasn't changed at all, is what I'm saying.

• Locked thread