Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Jenny Angel posted:

Seriously is there any series that's had 7 entries without resetting continuity and style (e.g. James Bond) or merging a number of independent stories into a crossover (e.g. Marvel Cinematic Universe) and is going as strong as Fast & Furious? Most everything I can think of that gets 7 entries is in DtV territory by then, or is at least not doing nearly as well-regarded as the earlier entries.

There's Harry Potter, I guess. Anything else?

Star Wars has had as many movies and far more money, though an obviously different trajectory of reception. The next 1-3 are still really anticipated and will probably make billions anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The last scene on the boat gave me the chills when I first saw it, mainly because I figured this'd be Jodorowsky's last moment on screen. So I really hope Endless Poetry has a speedy production.. He's 86 and I'm going to be super bummed when he dies.

He lives in France. They have a pretty decent healthcare system so he's probably going to live to be like 112. I'm also pretty sure he's some sort of sorcerer so he'll probably extend his life through magic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If I'm going to watch a Wes Craven that's on Netflix plus People Under the Stairs and Serpent And The Rainbow, what should I watch? I want to see more from him after loving the first Nightmare on Elm Street so much.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If I'm going to watch a Wes Craven that's on Netflix plus People Under the Stairs and Serpent And The Rainbow, what should I watch? I want to see more from him after loving the first Nightmare on Elm Street so much.

No you don't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Serpent and the Rainbow is one of my favorite Craven films.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yo, Jodorowsky put The Dance of Reality on Vimeo for free:

It's fuckin' rad.

Autobiography of a genius, said weird is my new favourite genre of movie.

I want everyone to do one of these.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm also pretty sure he's some sort of sorcerer so he'll probably extend his life through magic.

This.

The Peccadillo posted:

Autobiography of a genius, said weird is my new favourite genre of movie.

I want everyone to do one of these.

What I like about it is that it doesn't even so much function as autobiography of himself but rather as a memoir of his father specifically, complete with Jodorowsky himself commenting on the process of writing the memoir. The difference between memoir and autobiography may seem superficial, but with the former it's less about strict factuality or even things that one has personally experienced and more about engaging deeply in an act of remembrance, regardless of whether or not one can really verify or legitimize what's depicted. It's particularly appropriate for Jodorowsky, who seems to partially come to terms with the traumas of his childhood through imagining his father's spiritual transformation. It was very moving for me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

K. Waste posted:

What I like about it is that it doesn't even so much function as autobiography of himself but rather as a memoir of his father specifically, complete with Jodorowsky himself commenting on the process of writing the memoir. The difference between memoir and autobiography may seem superficial, but with the former it's less about strict factuality or even things that one has personally experienced and more about engaging deeply in an act of remembrance, regardless of whether or not one can really verify or legitimize what's depicted. It's particularly appropriate for Jodorowsky, who seems to partially come to terms with the traumas of his childhood through imagining his father's spiritual transformation. It was very moving for me.

That's what I meant by "said weird", if I was articulate.

It's so beautiful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The Dance of Reality was mental and brilliant. Not nearly as good as his more famous pictures, or even, like, Santa Sangre for that matter, but still mad good and highly recommendable.

agreed. Santa Sangre is dope, though. at least as good as Holy Mountain, imo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Serpent & the Rainbow, People under the Stairs, New Nightmare, Scream, and The Hills Have Eyes are all varying shades of great. Last House on the Left is a must watch too, albeit both highly unpleasant and wildly uneven.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Serpent and the Rainbow is great, still waiting on a BluRay release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't know how to feel about Serial Mom. It's very kitsch and straightforward in a way I don't like, but I feel like it does this on purpose because the perfect housewife lady goes and murders people for violating this ideal world. I was expecting a more crazy tone, but the crazy poo poo that happens in it being played the way it does is in a way kinda crazier. I'll have to see more John Waters.

What of his work have you seen?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So you guys want to read a horrible trainwreck of an E/N thread? Of course you do!

I'm 31 and my teenage camwhore girlfriend hasn't cheated on me since Saturday!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Going back and watching The Silence of the Lambs/Manhunter after mainlining a season of Hannibal is a trip. As exaggerated as those movies are, they're like a 3 to Hannibal's 10.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Steve McQueen will be directing an HBO show as his next project. All 6 episodes.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't know how to feel about Serial Mom. It's very kitsch and straightforward in a way I don't like, but I feel like it does this on purpose because the perfect housewife lady goes and murders people for violating this ideal world. I was expecting a more crazy tone, but the crazy poo poo that happens in it being played the way it does is in a way kinda crazier. I'll have to see more John Waters.

With your love of artifice, how have you not discovered Waters until now!? GO FORTH AND WATCH!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I thought Serial Mom was the one with the scene of a lady yelling 'don't tell me I don't know what Vietnam was like!' but it turns out that was desperate living, which I need to see.

Pink Flamingoes is probably next though.

Waters is a filmmaker whose work I never saw but who I have seen a ton of interviews with and quite like his perspective on things.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i too have seen very little John Waters but Serial Mom fuckin rules

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0AbrbD00pg

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
John Waters is awesome and amazing and at some point I will see Polyester with Smell-o-vision as god intended.

:byobear:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Pink Flamingos is the most punk rock movie ever made

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

So you guys want to read a horrible trainwreck of an E/N thread? Of course you do!

There's no way that's real.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I always get Serial Mom confused with Mr. Mom. Sometimes Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot gets mixed in there too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I don't know from punk but Female Trouble is probably punk as hell.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"I'm no prude, I'm married to an Italian!"

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

There is literally nothing in the world more punk rock than the sphincter flexing scene.

except for maybe the dog poo poo scene.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm ashamed to say the only John Waters I've seen have been Hairspray and Cry-Baby... Wait, no, I'm not ashamed, because seeing those was enough to deduce that John Waters loving rules.

I can't control how broadly I'm smiling.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat dudes, I bought some of my favorite lovely foods to celebrate my birthday, and I just do not have the appetite I used to.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9P_sxaaMJE

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Serpent and the Rainbow is the first time in a long, long while I've paused a movie out of sheer discomfort. But a nail to the fuckin dick is really unnerving. This movie's pretty good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Serpent and the Rainbow is the first time in a long, long while I've paused a movie out of sheer discomfort. But a nail to the fuckin dick is really unnerving. This movie's pretty good.

poo poo, man, you can see that in SICK: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist for real.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think The Serpent and the Rainbow has the least believable "based on a true story" in cinematic history.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I think The Serpent and the Rainbow has the least believable "based on a true story" in cinematic history.
It's in the funny position of being slightly more plausible than its source material.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can't tell if "I'm not a prude, I'm married to an italian!" or Big Fat Hairy Fags With Tits is my favorite line delivery here.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

axleblaze posted:

I mean, I honestly don't know. I feel like the majority of exorcism movies have that beat, and there's poo poo as recent as the gently caress awful Deliver Us from Evil to consider.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

owns

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Have you gotten to the part where she posts the fetlife account name where they posted pics and videos of such sex acts as her drinking his piss with WHORE written across her chest?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Have you gotten to the part where she posts the fetlife account name where they posted pics and videos of such sex acts as her drinking his piss with WHORE written across her chest?

Please don't kinkshame me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah I read the whole thing it's incredible

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys I'm launching a patreon site but with a twist: I want you to fund me to not produce content. Fund me to spare the world my awful bullshit. Do it, or it's on your heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't think Dan Savage's campsite rule includes becoming a literal pimp.

• Locked thread