Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone have a Hainanese Chicken and Rice recipe they can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
http://www.foodcanon.com/2012/10/making-delicious-hainanese-chicken-rice.html?m=1

Only did this once but it's alright.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Had this in FengShou Ri in Shanghai. Breaded and deep fried beef heavy on cumin spice. The beef is very similar to how the US South "chicken fries" beef steak.

Any ideas?

I can find wok sauteed cumin beef and lamb, but nothing breaded and deep fried.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I just took a couple of classes from a little old taiwanese lady, she taught us about steamed rice noodle roles and the folded buns with delicious pork/etc in them.
This has gotten me very interested in all the steamed Chinese foods, dim sum things, etc that I could reasonably do.

I'm been looking for an excuse to buy one of these: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/toaster_ovens/cso-300.html

Dealing with a stovetop steamer seems like a massive pain in the rear end, and being able to steam/heat in a combi oven sounds like it would be pretty much perfect for being able to mess around with doing steamed stuff without the hassle/space of a stovetop steamer. Does this make any sense? Has anyone here done things like steamed buns in a combi oven vs a regular steamer?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Shenjianbao was a failure.

Jianbing was a massive loving success.

This looks awesome. Recipe ??

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I just took a couple of classes from a little old taiwanese lady, she taught us about steamed rice noodle roles and the folded buns with delicious pork/etc in them.
This has gotten me very interested in all the steamed Chinese foods, dim sum things, etc that I could reasonably do.

I'm been looking for an excuse to buy one of these: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/toaster_ovens/cso-300.html

Dealing with a stovetop steamer seems like a massive pain in the rear end, and being able to steam/heat in a combi oven sounds like it would be pretty much perfect for being able to mess around with doing steamed stuff without the hassle/space of a stovetop steamer. Does this make any sense? Has anyone here done things like steamed buns in a combi oven vs a regular steamer?

If you don't have a big steamer with bamboo baskets in your kitchen your baozi aren't worth eating. It'd be like cooking with a teflon wok.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

If you don't have a big steamer with bamboo baskets in your kitchen your baozi aren't worth eating. It'd be like cooking with a teflon wok.

Teflon woks are actually the best for steaming. Those baskets are more for easy stacking. You can just use a single plate as long as you are cooking food with similar cooking times.

Or you can use a mini steel rack and burn your hands off. Whatever you do, have a slice of lettuce/carrot or cooking paper to prevent sticking

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
On the suggestion of the thread I got my copy of How to Cook and Eat in Chinese last friday and have been thumbing through it over the weekend. I'm really surprised just how easy a lot of these recipes seem to be. I also like that the book goes into some of the theory and history behind some of the ingredients.

I'm going to pick up a bottle of sherry tonight and start my experimentation with this. I'll probably start from the top and do their pork roast in red sauce and see where that takes me.

At some point I need to go to the specialty meat shop and see if I can score myself a duck and roast that according to the book's recipe. I've never had duck which I feel like is something I should of had by now as a rural Middle-American person living in prime duck hunting territory. Worth trying once either way.

Can anyone speak to the tastiness of the roast turkey recipe in that book? Could be an interesting twist on a thanksgiving meal considering I've got a Chinese Sister in Law.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 16, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Misread that as Cheese sister in law :downsrim:

Do you mean this recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/chinese-style-roast-turkey-steamed-buns-recipe.html

I always thought turkey was hard to cook because it gets really chewy and over cooked easily.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

caberham posted:

Misread that as Cheese sister in law :downsrim:

Do you mean this recipe? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/chinese-style-roast-turkey-steamed-buns-recipe.html

I always thought turkey was hard to cook because it gets really chewy and over cooked easily.

No, there is a specific recipe for a Chinese style whole roasted turkey in that book I bought. I don't have it with me but I can grab a scan of it when I get home from work.

Edit: This is the cookbook that I am referencing: http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Chinese-...+eat+in+chinese

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 16, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Magna Kaser posted:

It'd be like cooking with a teflon wok.

:negative:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Magna Kaser posted:

If you don't have a big steamer with bamboo baskets in your kitchen your baozi aren't worth eating.

You can get a bamboo steamer for < $10

Just do it

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a Hainanese Chicken and Rice recipe they can recommend?

Ingredients

For chicken
  • whole chicken, room temperature
  • ginger, about 1.5 inch knob thickly sliced
  • green onions
  • dilute chicken stock (optional)

For sauce
  • minced ginger
  • minced green onion
  • neutral oil
  • reserved poaching liquid

For rice
  • reserved chicken fat (optional)
  • rice, white long grain
  • ginger knob, thickly sliced
  • reserved poaching liquid

+ dark soy sauce, sliced cucumbers

Remove giblets from the chicken and whatever excess fat you have. Save some fat, if you want, and the neck. You're going to poach the chicken in water (or the diluted chicken stock) with the ginger and green onion. Allow the chicken to cool in the poaching liquid, but take out the ginger and green onion. Save the poaching liquid.

Wash and dry your rice. Optional: Fry the chicken fat a bit, and fry the (dry) rice grains with the chicken fat on medium-low. Give it a nice golden coat and fry until it smells good. I personally do not do this, but this is really how you're supposed to do it, I'm told. My family does it like this some times, but I'd rather not have more chicken fat.

Cook your (cooled) rice in the rice cooker using the reserved poaching liquid in lieu of water. Put the sliced ginger on top. If you have it, tie a pandan leaf in a knot and put it on top of the rice. Put a little less liquid than you normally would so that the rice is a bit drier. It's nice to have more individual grains with chicken rice, I think.

For the ginger-green onion dipping sauce, finely mince equal amounts of ginger and green onion. Add some reserved poaching liquid and a little bit of neutral oil until you get the consistency you want. Taste it, maybe add more poaching liquid or salt.

Cut up the chicken, plate it, eat it. Leave no leftovers. Or if you must, make a ton of extra chicken rice because it makes amazing fried rice! What I'm saying is, make extra chicken rice. always.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 18, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a new generation of nonstick pans using scratch-resistant ceramic coatings and they apparently work really well and last a lot longer than teflon.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

No, there is a specific recipe for a Chinese style whole roasted turkey in that book I bought. I don't have it with me but I can grab a scan of it when I get home from work.

Edit: This is the cookbook that I am referencing: http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Chinese-...+eat+in+chinese

Oh cool, maybe it's a decent gift.

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a new generation of nonstick pans using scratch-resistant ceramic coatings and they apparently work really well and last a lot longer than teflon.

Not that new :smug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mods?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Need to pizza pocket when you can get these in Chengdu - guokui 鍋爐

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How well does lao gan ma keep after the expiration date? My local grocery had some but it expired next month and I don't think I can finish the whole jar by then.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

net work error posted:

How well does lao gan ma keep after the expiration date? My local grocery had some but it expired next month and I don't think I can finish the whole jar by then.

It's all oil and salt, low water activity, in the fridge it should keep pretty indefinitely.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

THE MACHO MAN posted:

This looks awesome. Recipe ??

quote:

3 parts Flour
1 part ground green bean powder (for flavor)
3 parts water
1 egg
1 piece fried bread or 1 piece large fried wonton
Tablespoon pickle veg (cucumber, bitter melon, garlic, radish)
Tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon sweet black bean sauce
Cilantro
Spring onion
It is really a blank slate. I've never had them with anything but the above while in China. However, since we were using Chinese fried bread, which is basically a churro, we cooked up some chorizo to add to it. I also added arugula and Screaming Hornet hot sauce. When this hits my friend's menu at his new restaurant they will do the above but add ham and sriracha sauce.
Before I ever left for China my favorite "hard to find in the US" Chiense dish was huiguorou. While in Shanghai I had something I've never seen in the USA. Jianbing, a common street food similar to a crepe, is filled with egg, pickled vegetables, hoisin sauce, and either fried wonton or fried bread. It is often eaten as a breakfast food. Lately it has started popping up in really trendy cities with some success. A friend of mine from Fujian is opening a restaurant soon and the wife, who is Shanghai native, and I requested they give it a spot on the menu. I think it would do well!!
We gave it a test run and we nailed it!
This is Beijing style jianbing, made with a flour based dough, egg, cilantro, and then flipped to fry the egg. Since we used a Chinese fried bread that is similar to a churro we brought some chorizo and arugula as added goodness.
Glad I didn't have to go back to Shanghai to have jianbing this good!!
Mix your dough. You want a somewhat watery consistency if you're not using rice flour. Also if you're using wheat dough you will need to flip the crepe over to finish frying up the egg. Once your dough has started to set, crack one egg on top, smooth it out, and let it cook for a little bit. Add a handful of cilantro and green onion. Just as the egg starts to firm up you want to flip the dough. Here you need to be quick, add your sauces, add whatever you want to give it a crisp, meats, etc.
We've tested using wontons, the fried bread, and pork cracklings. We felt the crispy fried bread would be the best seller at my friend's restaurant. Also added Screaming Hornet's hot sauce (seriously, this is my favorite!) and arugula.
Came out fantastic. The green bean flour gives it a distinct flavor that I think is essential.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phanatic posted:

It's all oil and salt, low water activity, in the fridge it should keep pretty indefinitely.

Yeah I keep mine in the fridge and I've never seen it go bad. Never heard of it happening. The fat can go rancid I suppose but the fridge would help with that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Need to pizza pocket when you can get these in Chengdu - guokui 鍋爐

锅盔 are awesome, 锅炉 I'm not sure you want to eat....

Some places also write it 锅愧。

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Phanatic posted:

I have a jar in the fridge I'm just kind of choosing to ignore that I can't remember when I bought it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What you feel after eating two of em.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

What you feel after eating two of em.

Haha now I typoed. 锅魁 is the other one.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Brined the meat for a day, marinated it for a day, I have finally made char siu as good as I remember.

It's a mix of pork belly and pork shoulder-

Soooo good. I'm going to make char siu bao with some of the leftovers.

This was my second try using yireservation's recipe, this time i brined the meat and cut it a bit differently, plus threw in the pork belly (which really makes the best char siu because of all the fat).

I deviated a bit by not adding any salt to the marinade, adding a bit of peanut oil, and adding some honey.

recipe

http://yireservation.com/recipes/char-siu-chinese-bbq-pork/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Too lean. And the fat got all burnt to a crisp. Did you trim the burnt parts? Still decent job.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

caberham posted:

Too lean. And the fat got all burnt to a crisp. Did you trim the burnt parts? Still decent job.

I like the burnt parts :D

Anyway the belly parts got burnt a bit since i wasnt thinking and left them in until it was all done, should have taken them out earlier.

In future i'm probably just going to skip the shoulder and just use belly. I can't quite figure out what cut besides belly they use/ exactly how they butcher it.

This was a lot better than my first attempt which was dry and a bit too salty and bean paste-y.

Got the seasoning perfect now, and the brining helps a lot. Need to work on my meat butchering skills.

but it was hou hou mei aaaaaaaa

I also made hakka tofu, stuffed with a pork mixture and fried then braised and it turned out reallly well. my best attempt yet at that

I haven't been back to china in a few years, so I dont have anything to compare it to side by side, but its all tasting about like I remember.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 21, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd eat the hell out of what you posted. That looks delicious.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phanatic posted:

That makes sense. I will enjoy angry grandma chili finally as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Don't worry guys caberham is well-known as a narrow-minded snob when it comes to char syeeeooooooo

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I am a snob in thinking lots of thing are undercooked because they have insufficient black bits

Then people tell me I hosed their dinner up but I don't care because it's delicious fygm

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Every time I make that I never, ever get enough char. I'm to the point where next time I'm taking a drat torch to it. I put it top rack on broil and still never get enough like that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I don't understand how people can eat the burnt black bits on food. It just tastes like the ash nublets I get on my tongue when I smoke.

Which is gross.

To each their own I guess.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I don't understand how people can eat the burnt black bits on food. It just tastes like the ash nublets I get on my tongue when I smoke.

Which is gross.

To each their own I guess.

:v: I think I see your problem, man.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Really basic question. I'm looking at doing a chow fun chicken stir fry tonight (bok choi & mushrooms, bit of oyster/soy/rice wine). However the stir fry book I use often suggests putting the garlic and ginger in for 10 seconds before pushing them to the side of the wok and adding the meat. Problem is the sides of my flat-bottomed wok seem to be even hotter than the bottom (I'm using the standard fast boil double-ring burner on my range). And if you're pushing the aromatics to the side before you add the meat, then waiting for a bit (60s?) to let it sear, seems to me like that garlic and ginger is either gonna get burnt to hell or ultimately not impart much of its flavour to the chicken anyways, even when you start stir-frying the lot together.
I've added them pre-meat a few times with various dishes so far and ended up with burnt garlic, just trying to avoid that (and get some more tasty dishes!) Basically, when should I add the garlic and ginger?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 25, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Presumably, the wok they're talking about is a curved one on a more traditional gas burner, meaning the sides will be significantly cooler. So you have two options really. First, you can just put the ginger/garlic in later on in the stir fry so that they don't burn. The other thing you can do, which is actually another traditional way to go, is cut your garlic/ginger into chunks instead of mixed, gently fry them in the oil at the start to infuse their flavor, them scoop them out, turn up the heat, and keep going like you normally would. You can either discard the chunks or toss them in at the end if they're soft enough.

Note: they do still impart their flavor when you push them to the side like the book describes because you're infusing the hot oil with their oil-soluble flavor compounds. That's the main point of using them, although you do still get some more flavor from chewing on the little pieces or if the sauce ends up simmering for a while they'll infuse their water-soluble flavors (though it shouldn't really simmer for long for high-speed stir-fries).

Thoht fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 25, 2015

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
This may be a stupid question, but is there a reason we chop garlic and ginger into chunks or slice them thinly for aromatics rather than grating them? It seems like they would dissolve into the oil faster that way. I ask this because my parents (Trinidadians) also use Chinese-style aromatics in their Caribbean cooking and they always do chunks instead of thin slices for aromatics. Can someone explain this to me?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nickoten posted:

This may be a stupid question, but is there a reason we chop garlic and ginger into chunks or slice them thinly for aromatics rather than grating them? It seems like they would dissolve into the oil faster that way. I ask this because my parents (Trinidadians) also use Chinese-style aromatics in their Caribbean cooking and they always do chunks instead of thin slices for aromatics. Can someone explain this to me?

Different cuts of garlic will have different flavours. Grated garlic BURNS.

Kenji has more details: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-mince-chop-garlic-microplane-vs-garlic-press.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

It's kind of like whole leaf tea vs BOP vs dust/fannings. You get a different flavor profile/strength from each. Which you want depends on what you're using it for.